PDA

View Full Version : City Council Warns ‘Crack Ho’ Comments ‘Intolerable’, Calls For Diversity In Talk Rad

Rockntractor
03-22-2012, 03:26 PM
UPDATE 3/22: The City Council voted 13-2 to approve the resolution with language urging “the management of radio and television stations in Los Angeles to do everything in their power to ensure that their on-air hosts do not use and promote racist and sexist slurs over public airwaves in the City of Los Angeles”. Councilmen Joe Buscaino and Mitchell Englander cast the two opposing votes.

LOS ANGELES (CBS) — City Council members were one step closer on Wednesday to becoming the first in the nation to adopt a resolution condemning certain types of speech on public airwaves.

Councilmember Jan Perry introduced legislation this week that would call upon media companies to ensure “on-air hosts do not use and promote racist and sexist slurs” on radio and other broadcasts.

Members of Black Media Alliance, National Hispanic Media Coalition, Korean-American Bar Association, and American Indians in Film and Television were on hand to voice their support for the proposal.

The resolution — which was also supported by Councilmember Bernard Parks and Council President Herb Wesson — called attention to the recent uproar over comments by KFI 640 AM talk show hosts John Kobylt and Ken Chiampou.

Kobylt and Chiampou were suspended after they called the late pop singer Whitney Houston a “crack ho” three days after her death in February.

The proposal cites a “long history of racially offensive comments as well as deplorable sexist remarks, particularly towards women and Black, Latino, and Asian communities” at KFI 640 and calls for parent company Clear Channel Communications and other broadcasters to hire a more diverse workforce to offset the trend.

“It is easy to become desensitized to what other groups find intolerable which ultimately fosters an environment where negative comments can go unchecked and corporate guidelines and policies are no longer being enforced,” the resolution reads.

Remarks from syndicated talk show host Rush Limbaugh referring to Georgetown University law student Sandra Fluke as a “slut” and a “prostitute” for testifying on Capitol Hill about women’s access to contraception were also cited in the proposal.

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2012/03/21/city-council-warns-crack-ho-comments-intolerable-calls-for-diversity-in-talk-radio/

Gentleman Pirate
03-22-2012, 03:39 PM
You go girl. Cause we all know City Counsel resolutions mean law when it comes to the first amendment.

noonwitch
03-22-2012, 04:16 PM
I work at an agency in which the largest demographic group is black women. Most of them have referred to Whitney as a crackhead, and many as a crack whore. Hoochie is a term they save (at least as far as celebrities go) for Mariah Carey.

Then there are always a few who say "she was such a good girl until she met Bobby Brown and he ruined her", as if Whitney didn't voluntarily pick up that pipe, but that's a separate issue.

NJCardFan
03-22-2012, 10:52 PM
I guess rap stations are going to be in real trouble.

Elspeth
03-23-2012, 01:55 AM
I guess rap stations are going to be in real trouble.

No, they're just going after talk stations. John and Ken have been in the cross hairs for awhile. Last fall, they gave out the phone number of a local Hispanic activist--who was stupid enough to put a private cell phone number on a public flyer--and the whole activist community went into an uproar. There was a small parade in Burbank around the station. Eventually, Clear Channel hushed it up by hiring a popular Mexican-American talk show host for a sister station. (The guy is actually pretty good about city issues; he grew up here and understands a lot about how things run.)

One thing I saw at the link in the comments is that one poster claimed to have contacted Bain Capital (Mitt's old firm) which now is an owner of Clear Channel (hence the pro-Mitt stuff that Clear Channel and Premiere hosts have to spew). The poster claimed to have invested money with some other Bain companies and used that leverage to complain to Bain about John and Ken. I wonder if being owned by Bain is changing the edginess of Clear Channel. John and Ken have said some really nasty stuff in the past and they never got suspended.

I'm also wondering if Clear Channel is trying to get rid of high cost people. They owe Bain a shitload of money in debt--this is what Mitty does, by the way. He doesn't save companies, he sucks them dry and then makes them cut costs to the bone to pay back loans that Bain took out for them.

There was an article a few months ago saying that Clear Channel was already close to the bone with its low priced people, like traffic and weather. I know that KFI and KOGO (San Diego) are now sharing the same set of news and traffic people, located in LA.

So where do you go when you cut where you can? You cut where you couldn't before: the sacred cows.

I think it started with Dr. Laura. Laura's audience had fallen off and after Bain purchased Clear Channel, Laura lost her flagship station, KFI (2009) and in 2010, she lost her fight for a new contract after saying "n---er" on the air. Laura used to have these killer contracts that tied up stations in knots. She was also very expensive. I often wondered if Clear Channel didn't try to set her up with that African American caller to get her off the air, to save money.

And this may be the real reason behind the charge against Limbaugh and why he's being left out to dry with his advertisers. Yeah, there's a lefty campaign, but Rush is EXPENSIVE and has a fat contract. If they could replace Rush with a much cheaper Huckabee, there's more money for the debt. Instead of dealing with the advertisers, they are letting Rush sink.

John and Ken also make a lot of money. John Kobylt sold a house in 2010 for 3.5 million dollars. Now, that's not Mitt Romney rich, but that's a nice chunk of change. I'll never see the inside of a 3.5 million house unless I am cleaning it for some reason. Even in LA, 3.5 mil buys a nice place. And Ken lives in some huge house in Hermosa Beach. We may be seeing the beginning of the end for these guys. Then Clear Channel will give us a cheaper version so they can pay debt off.

JB
03-23-2012, 05:39 AM
The Black Media Alliance is running around in a circle because of "crack ho"? :facepalm:

Physician, heal...oh, nevermind.

NJCardFan
03-23-2012, 12:12 PM
No, they're just going after talk stations.

The point is, they can't have it both ways and if they put language in it that exempts rap music then they're opening themselves up for a lawsuit.

Elspeth
03-23-2012, 12:15 PM
The point is, they can't have it both ways and if they put language in it that exempts rap music then they're opening themselves up for a lawsuit.

That's a lawsuit I'd love to see. :popcorn:

Odysseus
03-23-2012, 03:38 PM

The LA City Council is one of the most disfunctional organizations in the US. They will welcome the suit, because it will force some conservative group to spend money, while they will fight it with taxpayer dollars.

Articulate_Ape
03-23-2012, 04:03 PM
The Black Media Alliance is running around in a circle because of "crack ho"? :facepalm:

Physician, heal...oh, nevermind.

No kidding. Isn't "crack ho" ebonics for "girlfriend"?

Elspeth
03-23-2012, 07:15 PM
No kidding. Isn't "crack ho" ebonics for "girlfriend"?

:rotfl: