PDA

View Full Version : Identify your accent

SaintLouieWoman
03-22-2012, 06:53 PM
Where Is Your Accent from?
http://www.lewrockwell.com/spl3/american-accent-quiz.html (http://www.lewrockwell.com/spl3/american-accent-quiz.html)

I'm curious to see the results of the test. I took it and it said that I had a Philly accent, but haven't been to Philly for a very long time and it was only a few days.

My friend from Philly naturally had hers come out as from Philly.

Rockntractor
03-22-2012, 07:04 PM
What American accent do you have? (http://www.gotoquiz.com/what_american_accent_do_you_have)
Your Result: North Central
"North Central" is what professional linguists call the Minnesota accent. If you saw "Fargo" you probably didn't think the characters sounded very out of the ordinary. Outsiders probably mistake you for a Canadian a lot.
Result Breakdown:
89% North Central
81% The Midland
77% The West
76% The Inland North
59% Boston
36% The Northeast
27% Philadelphia
26% The South
Quiz Created on GoTo Quiz (http://www.gotoquiz.com/)
I haven't lived there in 35 years but that is where I am from.

Retread
03-22-2012, 11:04 PM
Your Result: The Midland

"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.

Blow that quiz off. I was born in Okla and did not leave until I was 22, After that in order was New Mexico, back to OK, Wichita Falls, TX, Wichita KS, Ft Smith Ark and Texas since 1976.

Kay
03-22-2012, 11:22 PM
Your Result: The Midland

"You have a Midland accent" is just another way of saying "you don't have an accent." You probably are from the Midland (Pennsylvania, southern Ohio, southern Indiana, southern Illinois, and Missouri) but then for all we know you could be from Florida or Charleston or one of those big southern cities like Atlanta or Dallas. You have a good voice for TV and radio.

Blow that quiz off.
You can say that again! I got Midland too, but in NO way have a good voice for TV and radio. I was born and raised in far West Texas and have the authentic native twangie voice to prove it.

7. Do you think the word "on" rhymes with "dawn" or with "don"?

I couldn't answer this one with the choices given.
All three are distinctly different the way I say them.

AmPat
03-23-2012, 10:42 AM
The test did not have a standard for dwwwwaaaarllll. It failed to ID me as a bitter clinger.

What American accent do you have?Your Result: The West

Your accent is the lowest common denominator of American speech. Unless you're a SoCal surfer, no one thinks you have an accent. And really, you may not even be from the West at all, you could easily be from Florida or one of those big Southern cities like Dallas or Atlanta.

The Midland

Boston

North Central

The South

The Inland North

Philadelphia

The Northeast

linda22003
03-23-2012, 10:48 AM
Predictably - and accurately - I got "The Northeast".

Arroyo_Doble
03-23-2012, 10:54 AM

I believe I lost my accent, which was thick, during my time in the military.

Zeus
03-23-2012, 10:59 AM
People mostly ask if i'm a swede, I tell them no I take no offense to the slur but I'm of Icelandic heritage. My father born & raised in the USA was sent home from his first day of school until he could speak better English , they spoke primarily Icelandic on the farm.

CactusCarlos
03-23-2012, 11:28 AM
Your Result: Philadelphia

Your accent is as Philadelphian as a cheesesteak! If you're not from Philadelphia, then you're from someplace near there like south Jersey, Baltimore, or Wilmington. if you've ever journeyed to some far off place where people don't know that Philly has an accent, someone may have thought you talked a little weird even though they didn't have a clue what accent it was they heard.

I am most certainly not from South Jersey, Baltimore, or Wilmington! :biggrin-new:

NJCardFan
03-24-2012, 06:22 PM
I got the Philly result which includes South Jersey...which is where I be. However, I know my speech is different from Philly. For instance, I pronounce water "water" and not "wooder". Also, the NFL team in Philly is Eagles to me and not Iggles.

Hawkgirl
03-24-2012, 07:38 PM
Northeast, which is accurate.

SarasotaRepub
03-24-2012, 08:05 PM
What American accent do you have? (http://www.gotoquiz.com/what_american_accent_do_you_have)
Your Result: The Northeast
Judging by how you talk you are probably from north Jersey, New York City, Connecticut or Rhode Island. Chances are, if you are from New York City (and not those other places) people would probably be able to tell if they actually heard you speak.
Result Breakdown:
100% The Northeast
87% Philadelphia
85% The Inland North
60% The Midland
54% The South
44% Boston
18% The West
2% North Central

Jersey baby!!! :biggrin-new:

AmPat
03-24-2012, 11:13 PM
Your Result: The Northeast
Judging by how you talk you are probably from north Jersey, New York City, Connecticut or Rhode Island. Chances are, if you are from New York City (and not those other places) people would probably be able to tell if they actually heard you speak.
Result Breakdown:
100% The Northeast
87% Philadelphia
85% The Inland North
60% The Midland
54% The South
44% Boston
18% The West
2% North Central

Jersey baby!!! :biggrin-new:
Yeah, figures. Your'e living in Florida, you had to be a Yankee! Have you bought your white, patent leather shoes yet?:biggrin-new:

Odysseus
03-24-2012, 11:44 PM

That's pretty impressive, although ever since basic training, most New Yorkers tell me that I have a bit of a southern accent.

SarasotaRepub
03-25-2012, 09:17 AM
Yeah, figures. Your'e living in Florida, you had to be a Yankee! Have you bought your white, patent leather shoes yet?:biggrin-new:

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!! :friendly_wink:

When I came down to SW Florida the 1st time the area was filled with people from the mid-west and Canada. But it started to shift to more people from the northeast pretty quickly. I started seeing a lot of NY and NJ plates...:biggrin-new:

Unfortunately, that also means more Libtards...:friendly_wink:

Wei Wu Wei
03-25-2012, 11:30 AM
Cool test. I got a Midland accent.

I'm a Texas man born and raised.

SaintLouieWoman
03-25-2012, 11:54 AM
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!! :friendly_wink:

When I came down to SW Florida the 1st time the area was filled with people from the mid-west and Canada. But it started to shift to more people from the northeast pretty quickly. I started seeing a lot of NY and NJ plates...:biggrin-new:

Unfortunately, that also means more Libtards...:friendly_wink:
That's when Florida was nicer and more conservative, back in the good ole days before I moved here. Sarasota is way too libtard for my tastes, but have met some very nice people from the NE here. We still get lots of tourists from the midwest, see them while volunteering at Mote.

SR did bring a pair of white golf shoes to St Louis when he moved there (before we returned here) and he did have a pair of white shoes that he "wore to the islands, the Carib, baby" as he says. :biggrin-new: He no longer has them, thank heavens.