PDA

View Full Version : Romney: Why I'd repeal ObamaCare

Janice
03-24-2012, 09:53 PM
http://i.imgur.com/iDuue.jpg

Why I'd repeal ObamaCare
By Mitt Romney

Friday is the second anniversary of ObamaCare. It is past time to abolish the program, root and branch. The Supreme Court will soon have a crack at this; arguments about the program's constitutionality open before it next week. But whatever the justices decide in what is certain to be a landmark decision, the case against ObamaCare extends far beyond questions about its constitutionality. President Obama's program is an unfolding disaster for the American economy, a budget-busting entitlement, and a dramatic new federal intrusion into our lives.

It is precisely for those reasons that I've opposed a one-size-fits-all health care plan for the entire nation. What we need is a free market, federalist approach to making quality, affordable health insurance available to every American. Each state should be allowed to pursue its own solution in this regard, instead of being dictated to by Washington. >>>

To the extent that we have any federal regulation, it should focus on helping markets work >>> individuals are currently prohibited from purchasing health insurance across states lines, which reduces competition and makes many plans subject to expensive state benefit requirements. The federal government can open up these restricted markets. States could still regulate their insurance industries, but consumers across the U.S. would benefit from lower costs and greater choice.

Finally, we need to address out-of-control medical malpractice litigation, which is costly not only in direct terms, but also in its distortion of the way patient care is administered. We can start by capping non-economic damages, but the federal government should also encourage states to pursue additional reforms such as specialized health care courts or other alternatives for resolving conflicts.

The reforms I propose for the country could not be more different from Barack Obama's. They entail no new taxes, no massive diversions of funds away from Medicare, no tax discrimination, and no new bureaucracies. >>> Whatever the Supreme Court decides about the constitutionality of ObamaCare, we already know that it is bad policy and wrong for America. Abolishing it and putting sensible changes in its place will be one of my highest priorities as president.

USAToday (http://www.usatoday.com/news/opinion/forum/story/2012-03-22/mitt-romney-health-reform-repeal-obamacare/53711598/1)

--------------------------------

It does appear that we may be "pushing" Romney to the right just a tad. Allowing insurance companys to sell insurance across State lines is key. As is Tort Reform. I dont know if he means it ... but its a start in the right direction and now we need to hold his feet to the fire if we can take back the Senate and gain more seats in the House with more conservatives to continue this "push" in the right direction.

Zeus
03-24-2012, 10:02 PM
http://i.imgur.com/iDuue.jpg

Why I'd repeal ObamaCare
By Mitt Romney

Friday is the second anniversary of ObamaCare. It is past time to abolish the program, root and branch. The Supreme Court will soon have a crack at this; arguments about the program's constitutionality open before it next week. But whatever the justices decide in what is certain to be a landmark decision, the case against ObamaCare extends far beyond questions about its constitutionality. President Obama's program is an unfolding disaster for the American economy, a budget-busting entitlement, and a dramatic new federal intrusion into our lives.

It is precisely for those reasons that I've opposed a one-size-fits-all health care plan for the entire nation. What we need is a free market, federalist approach to making quality, affordable health insurance available to every American. Each state should be allowed to pursue its own solution in this regard, instead of being dictated to by Washington. >>>

To the extent that we have any federal regulation, it should focus on helping markets work >>> individuals are currently prohibited from purchasing health insurance across states lines, which reduces competition and makes many plans subject to expensive state benefit requirements. The federal government can open up these restricted markets. States could still regulate their insurance industries, but consumers across the U.S. would benefit from lower costs and greater choice.

Finally, we need to address out-of-control medical malpractice litigation, which is costly not only in direct terms, but also in its distortion of the way patient care is administered. We can start by capping non-economic damages, but the federal government should also encourage states to pursue additional reforms such as specialized health care courts or other alternatives for resolving conflicts.

The reforms I propose for the country could not be more different from Barack Obama's. They entail no new taxes, no massive diversions of funds away from Medicare, no tax discrimination, and no new bureaucracies. >>> Whatever the Supreme Court decides about the constitutionality of ObamaCare, we already know that it is bad policy and wrong for America. Abolishing it and putting sensible changes in its place will be one of my highest priorities as president.

USAToday (http://www.usatoday.com/news/opinion/forum/story/2012-03-22/mitt-romney-health-reform-repeal-obamacare/53711598/1)

--------------------------------

It does appear that we may be "pushing" Romney to the right just a tad. Allowing insurance companys to sell insurance across State lines is key. As is Tort Reform. I dont know if he means it ... but its a start in the right direction and now we need to hold his feet to the fire if we can take back the Senate and gain more seats in the House with more conservatives to continue this "push" in the right direction.

No pushing in that regard being done. That has been Romney's position pretty much from the get go. Certainly he needs a nudge to the right on a few issues but this issue isn't and hasn't been one.

Elspeth
03-24-2012, 10:14 PM
Will this point be moot if the Supreme Court upholds it?

Zeus
03-24-2012, 10:26 PM
Will this point be moot if the Supreme Court upholds it?

Not really , as long as steps taken to dismantle obamacare are deemed constitutional. In the case the Supremes uphold Obamacare I think you see attempts made to give the Individual states more control over certain aspects of the law.