PDA

View Full Version : My wife had a pretty good idea yesterday...

Articulate_Ape
03-26-2012, 07:11 PM
...and, no, it didn't involve having me put down, Rock.

She flies a lot more than I do because of her job; less these days than she used to, but she flew out on business yesterday. While I was driving her to the airport she went on a rant about the dregs of the human gene pool who somehow managed to work as TSA "officers", many of whom are running around with schmates on their heads (a sore point to her, given she damn near lost a sister on 9/11). However, that's not really what the point of this is. It's more about the mostly mediocre quality of employees that make up the TSA personnel at so many of our airports. I have seen it myself and it pisses me off.

Anyway, she asked, why the hell, with all the highly trained and disciplined military men and women who are returning from deployment in Iraq/Afghanistan (or elsewhere for that matter) and are seeking employment after serving, the intrepid TSA isn't giving these individuals these jobs. I had never even thought about it, but it struck me as pure genius. If we have to have a TSA, I, like most Americans, would much rather have well-trained (and savvy) military vets being TSA Officers than the glorified security guards, Walmart greeters, and convenience store clerks we have to deal with now.

Our returning vets need jobs and this is one place where I would support affirmative action, not in the PC sense, but because I can't think of anyone a) who would be better qualified; and b) have earned it more.

What are your thoughts? I would especially like to hear from the military active-duty and vets here, but everyone please chime in. Is this a job you think vets would want to do after serving, or would they just as soon not?

Apache
03-26-2012, 08:01 PM
...and, no, it didn't involve having me put down, Rock.

She flies a lot more than I do because of her job; less these days than she used to, but she flew out on business yesterday. While I was driving her to the airport she went on a rant about the dregs of the human gene pool who somehow managed to work as TSA "officers", many of whom are running around with schmates on their heads (a sore point to her, given she damn near lost a sister on 9/11). However, that's not really what the point of this is. It's more about the mostly mediocre quality of employees that make up the TSA personnel at so many of our airports. I have seen it myself and it pisses me off.

Anyway, she asked, why the hell, with all the highly trained and disciplined military men and women who are returning from deployment in Iraq/Afghanistan (or elsewhere for that matter) and are seeking employment after serving, the intrepid TSA isn't giving these individuals these jobs. I had never even thought about it, but it struck me as pure genius. If we have to have a TSA, I, like most Americans, would much rather have well-trained (and savvy) military vets being TSA Officers than the glorified security guards, Walmart greeters, and convenience store clerks we have to deal with now.

Our returning vets need jobs and this is one place where I would support affirmative action, not in the PC sense, but because I can't think of anyone a) who would be better qualified; and b) have earned it more.

What are your thoughts? I would especially like to hear from the military active-duty and vets here, but everyone please chime in. Is this a job you think vets would want to do after serving, or would they just as soon not?

couple of things there ape... YOU'RE MARRIED!?!?

why would you saddle our returning vets with such a lack luster job? TSA requires inhale/exhale, that's it....
keeping the dregs employed keeps them off the streets.

if our government would kindly get out of the way, we could easily get the employment rate where it should be.

Articulate_Ape
03-26-2012, 08:35 PM

Yes. Sorry to disappoint the ladies here.

why would you saddle our returning vets with such a lack luster job? TSA requires inhale/exhale, that's it....

It is lackluster for the very reasons you suggest, and thus ineffective. That's is, after all, my point, no? But I'm listening.

if our government would kindly get out of the way, we could easily get the employment rate where it should be.

Of course, and I agree.

Rockntractor
03-26-2012, 08:39 PM
Who listens to their wives, I mean what they are actually saying?http://www.picgifs.com/smileys/smileys-and-emoticons/confused/smileys-confused-798529.gif (http://www.picgifs.com/smileys/)

Articulate_Ape
03-26-2012, 08:42 PM
Who actually listens to their wives, I mean what they are actually saying?http://www.picgifs.com/smileys/smileys-and-emoticons/confused/smileys-confused-798529.gif (http://www.picgifs.com/smileys/)

Yours kept screaming my name as I recall.

Articulate_Ape
03-26-2012, 08:49 PM
Now, where were we...?

SaintLouieWoman
03-26-2012, 09:00 PM
Now, where were we...?

We were saying how wise your wife is----she has an excellent idea. Because of my knee surgery, every time I'm going through security I know that I'll be subject to one of their inspections. Some of them couldn't even be a Wal-Mart greeter.

It would at least be a job to get some of the vets back into civilian life. They could use it as a steppingstone to something better, and in the meantime the flying public would be more secure.

Apache
03-26-2012, 09:04 PM
It is lackluster for the very reasons you suggest, and thus ineffective. That's is, after all, my point, no? But I'm listening.

the TSA is a governmental agency, and thus ineffective. airport security was in no way breached on 9/11, and bush overreacted with the formation of the TSA. my point though, is this, why would a dumbass tanker, a djones,a txradioguy, an ody leave the military to do...
NOTHING? now if airport security were returned to private hands, that would be different. but to fall back and rely on an inept bureaucracy that will molest toddlers and the elderly is way beneath our returning vets... IMHO :friendly_wink:

Janice
03-26-2012, 09:07 PM
You know returning veterans might wanna take their job seriously. That is ... w/o being manipulated for the sake of some leftist clowns ideological utopian dreams. They might take exception to some of the hair brain ideas. And they might actually give a crap about the diff between profiling for terrorists and just treating every American equally like the shit end of a stick. Like what our CIC and the First Wookie marxist appear to be.

Janice
03-26-2012, 09:10 PM
now if airport security were returned to private hands, that would be different. but to fall back and rely on an inept bureaucracy that will molest toddlers and the elderly is way beneath our reurning vets... IMHO :friendly_wink:

Yup. Thats my thinking too.

Gee... you guys make 4 posts before I can make 1 reply. :cool:

Articulate_Ape
03-26-2012, 09:21 PM
We were saying how wise your wife is----she has an excellent idea. Because of my knee surgery, every time I'm going through security I know that I'll be subject to one of their inspections. Some of them couldn't even be a Wal-Mart greeter.

It would at least be a job to get some of the vets back into civilian life. They could use it as a steppingstone to something better, and in the meantime the flying public would be more secure.

I thought so; and for the same reasons you stated.

Retread
03-26-2012, 10:59 PM
Sanford, Fla. airport wants to opt out of TSA (http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/03/14/2692799/sanford-fla-airport-wants-to-opt.html)

The Associated Press

SANFORD, Fla. -- The Orlando Sanford International Airport is going to try to opt out of only using TSA agents for security screening.

The president of the airport said Tuesday that he would apply again to use private operators to screen passengers, using federal standards and oversight.

U.S. Rep. John Mica included a provision in federal aviation legislation that strengthens the ability of airports to use private screeners instead of only using agents with the Transportation Security Administration.

Currently, only 16 of the nation's airports have opted out using only TSA agents.

Janice
03-26-2012, 11:33 PM
Sanford, Fla. airport wants to opt out of TSA (http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/03/14/2692799/sanford-fla-airport-wants-to-opt.html)

Posted here too. (http://www.conservativeunderground.com/forum505/showthread.php?47972-US-Airport-To-Evict-TSA-Screeners&highlight=Airport)

namvet
03-27-2012, 09:55 AM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/555227_422120497803244_100000158922556_1946514_104 0988477_n.jpg

when I came home from Nam there were a ton of ATC jobs. we passed cause we heard you were dead by 30

http://wickedmonkeys.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/Airplane-Bridges-Stack1.jpg

Starbuck
03-27-2012, 10:10 AM
Who listens to their wives, I mean what they are actually saying?...

We have a special feature on our TV where she appears in miniature in the upper right hand corner to speak to me. That way I don't have to turn my head.:smile-new:

Starbuck
03-27-2012, 10:13 AM
............why the hell, with all the highly trained and disciplined military men and women who are returning from deployment in Iraq/Afghanistan (or elsewhere for that matter) and are seeking employment after serving, the intrepid TSA isn't giving these individuals these jobs...........
It's probably because the useless dipshits the TSA is looking for couldn't get in the military in the first place.

Janice
03-27-2012, 10:46 AM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/555227_422120497803244_100000158922556_1946514_104 0988477_n.jpg

:biggrin-new:

And this is just the short list ...

http://i55.tinypic.com/2hfi39c.gif

Edit: Im gonna steal this ...

AmPat
03-27-2012, 01:07 PM
The USAJOBS.GOV site is the equivalent of the Kobashi-Maru. Trying to get on now is a process and one must know the secret words to input. It's still doable, but the payoff is negligible.

Arroyo_Doble
03-27-2012, 01:16 PM
Boots cost money.

If you want talent, you have to pay for it or convince altruistic people that it is a calling.

Teacher, military, firefighter, police, priesthood, ect can easily be sold as a calling. TSA, not so much.

AmPat
03-27-2012, 10:52 PM
Boots cost money.

If you want talent, you have to pay for it or convince altruistic people that it is a calling.

Teacher, military, firefighter, police, priesthood, ect can easily be sold as a calling. TSA, not so much.

Well, it did fine job of moving the some out of the trailer park. Unfortunately, you can't remove the trailer park from their mentality. But hey, at least they have a badge and a uniform.

Odysseus
03-27-2012, 10:57 PM
Boots cost money.

Oh, I don't know... Any job can be made to sound attractive:

Scene 1: Interior, a major US airport. A spectacular blond traveler is talking to a dumpy, slightly balding, middle-aged TSA Screener. The Screener turns to the camera.

Screener

You know, a few years ago, if I'd tried to talk to a hottie like this, she'd have thrown her drink in my face and walked away laughing. Let's face it, I'm not much to look at, I barely made it through high school. College? Get real. And the military makes you get up way too early. I was looking at counter work at Kinko's or flipping burgers for the rest of my life. But then, a buddy of mine turned me on to the Transportation Safety Administration.

Screener
Glances over his shoulder at the blond traveler, who is looking at her watch and getting impatient.

They gave me a test that a five-year-old could have passed, and the training? Man, Helen Keller could find more stuff than we do. Now, I can detain first class travelers, keep them waiting, grope the better looking ones, and even save images of them from the scanner. You know, the kinds of people that used to look down their noses at me when they were pulling down A's and B's while I was getting stoned behind the gym. I can take out every frustration that I ever had, and you can too.

Text: 1-800-GROPING appears on screen. Behind Screener, two teenaged TSA screeners, Beevis and Butthead, begin to pat down the blond traveler, who stands there and takes it.

Screener

Just call the number on the screen, and you can put your hands over anybody that passes through your station. That's 1-800-476-7464, or if you can't remember that, just dial 1-800-GROPING.

Scene 2: Close on Screener as blond is dragged off behind him. He raises his hands into frame to show that he is snapping a rubber glove on:

Screener
TSA: It's not just a job, it's a filthy job. The filthiest job that you'll ever love.

Screener
Winks to camera
It's party time.

Scene 3: Screener follows Beavis and Butthead as they drag the blond traveler to a curtained screening area. Fade to black.

Starbuck
03-28-2012, 09:37 AM
Well, it did fine job of moving the some out of the trailer park. Unfortunately, you can't remove the trailer park from their mentality. But hey, at least they have a badge and a uniform.
As James Carville said, "You would be surprised what you can catch if you drag a hundred dollar bill through a trailer park."

Odysseus
03-30-2012, 09:53 AM
Right after 9/11, when the airlines were hurting, I thought that it would be a good idea for the federal government to make a bulk purchase of prepaid airline tickets for use by government travelers (it would have been a massive cash infusion at a time when they needed it, and it would have provided a means for the federal government to put the second part of my idea into operation. The DOD could have taken some of those tickets and made them available at a discount to military personnel, provided they were willing to undergo counter-terrorism training, fly in uniform and carry a taser or other non-lethal weapon on the flight. Flights would have been in a Permissive TDY status, with no expense to the government, so the cost of putting a uniformed person on the flight would have been limited to the discount on the ticket. Anybody think that the flying imams would have tried anyting with a few Soldiers seated next to them?

Stoic
04-02-2012, 10:12 AM
Interesting thought, but the catch is this: the military personnel we're talking about--the best and brightest of those who have gotten out--would probably want nothing to do with the job.

I mean really, look at it. The TSA is there NOT to actually catch anyone: it's just a show. "Look at how diligent we are. It's impossible to get a weapon/bomb/whatever past us." When, in reality, if you wanted to do such a thing, there are a million better ways to do so than by trying to smuggle it through airport screening, most of which the TSA couldn't touch.

So yeah. Pointless, for-show jobs REALLY don't appeal to military types.

Novaheart
04-02-2012, 10:50 AM

The CEO of major corporations jobs are already taken? Around here we have vets who work in all sorts of jobs from lawn services to call centers. I bristle a bit when someone takes a shot at a category of honest work.

I think that offering the TSA jobs to vets is a wonderful idea, at least we would have much less reason to suspect that the worker is actually keeping track of something and reporting it back to his imam. But what makes a person think that these people aren't vets?

AmPat
04-02-2012, 12:19 PM
I suggest we get rid of the bloated and nearly useless TSA. We should have a set of minimum regulations for airline security and have a gutted TSA as oversight only with a cap on budget and manning. They should be big enough to inspect airports and be located centrally. The airports should be allowed to get their own security in place under those guidelines. There is no reason to dump Billions into a bloated government agency that delivers sub-par performance at taxpayer expense when private jobs could be generated overnight.

Odysseus
04-02-2012, 04:15 PM
We need to merge the TSA with the Susan Komen Foundation, so that even if they don't catch any terrorists, they can at least check for lumps. :biggrin-new:

m00
04-03-2012, 01:46 AM
You know returning veterans might wanna take their job seriously. That is ... w/o being manipulated for the sake of some leftist clowns ideological utopian dreams. They might take exception to some of the hair brain ideas. And they might actually give a crap about the diff between profiling for terrorists and just treating every American equally like the shit end of a stick. Like what our CIC and the First Wookie marxist appear to be.

Wow, really? I'm speaking as someone who pretty much stood alone on conservative message boards against the Patriot Act and the TSA and Homeland Security, and all these erosion of civil liberties that occurred under the Bush administration. I heard time and time again from self-proclaimed conservatives throughout 8 years of Bush that being hassled at airports and border checkpoints, being subjected to all sorts of intrusive procedures and having severe restrictions placed on freedoms was nothing to be afraid of unless you were a terrorist. And, in fact, anyone who suggested otherwise was probably a terrorist themselves.

So if you want to blame someone for Americans being treated like the "shit end of a stick" at airports, blame Bush and the Republican cowards serving in Congress during his administration, and to a lesser degree the Democrat cowards for not being a viable opposition party. And all the Republican voters that went along with it, and toed the party line.

Janice
04-03-2012, 02:06 AM
Wow, really? I'm speaking as someone who pretty much stood alone on conservative message boards against the Patriot Act and the TSA and Homeland Security, and all these erosion of civil liberties that occurred under the Bush administration. I heard time and time again from self-proclaimed conservatives throughout 8 years of Bush that being hassled at airports and border checkpoints, being subjected to all sorts of intrusive procedures and having severe restrictions placed on freedoms was nothing to be afraid of unless you were a terrorist. And, in fact, anyone who suggested otherwise was probably a terrorist themselves.

So if you want to blame someone for Americans being treated like the "shit end of a stick" at airports, blame Bush and the Republican cowards serving in Congress during his administration, and to a lesser degree the Democrat cowards for not being a viable opposition party. And all the Republican voters that went along with it, and toed the party line.

Who said Bush was a conservative?

Oh... thats right. You did.

Now I get it.

AmPat
04-03-2012, 04:16 AM

You're right. We should all convert to rabid and miserable little liberal creatures so that we can all sing praises to Chairman MaoBama. Why oh why didn't I see this before? A two year lock-step rule of complete Marxism has yielded so many successes that it should have been plain to all that the previous 8 years of an evil Republican, holding only one of the three branches of government, was devastating. We could have had SO much more. Why didn't we bow to the altar of Marxism so much sooner? Where was our collective sanity to not see the error of our ways? The answer is clear, after a three year track record under nearly complete Marxist Dimokratic rule, the utopia is right in front of our eyes.

m00
04-03-2012, 10:04 AM
Who said Bush was a conservative?

Oh... thats right. You did.

Now I get it.

Where? I re-read my post and I never called Bush conservative. Do you have a quote to back up your nonsense?