PDA

View Full Version : Do you bring your lunch to work?

Hawkgirl
03-28-2012, 05:18 PM
The cafeteria is using the ol' nickel and diming trick. They offer 50% off on most foods for employees, but the prices keep rising and all the extra's that came with a meal are now being weighed. 50% sounds like a big discount, but ordering a beverage, a cold sandwich with a side of chips is $6.00. Their hot meals usually cost anywhere from $6-$8 depending on the entree. 50% off is not a huge discount when they double the price.

I have decided that I will start bringing my lunch to work. Snacks too.

Yesterday, I had left over chicken parmiggiana with a side of rice. I brought a snack size microwave popcorn bag, a can of pepsi and 2 little pieces of dove chocolates. Today was a tuna salad on white, an orange and 3 small cookies for dessert. I'm enjoying my meals more and probably saving a small chunk of change.

How about y'all, presuming you work or go to school? Buy or bring?

m00
03-28-2012, 06:08 PM
I eat lunch at local restaurants. Try to keep it under $20.

Oh, there was this place I discovered recently with some co-workers. They have this burger... it's 1/2 beef, 1/4 lamb, 1/4 duck and you get it with bacon and cheese. OMFG. Ranks up there with a wild boar burger you can get on the other side of town.

CactusCarlos
03-28-2012, 06:26 PM
The cafeteria is using the ol' nickel and diming trick. They offer 50% off on most foods for employees, but the prices keep rising and all the extra's that came with a meal are now being weighed. 50% sounds like a big discount, but ordering a beverage, a cold sandwich with a side of chips is $6.00. Their hot meals usually cost anywhere from $6-$8 depending on the entree. 50% off is not a huge discount when they double the price.

I have decided that I will start bringing my lunch to work. Snacks too.

Yesterday, I had left over chicken parmiggiana with a side of rice. I brought a snack size microwave popcorn bag, a can of pepsi and 2 little pieces of dove chocolates. Today was a tuna salad on white, an orange and 3 small cookies for dessert. I'm enjoying my meals more and probably saving a small chunk of change.

How about y'all, presuming you work or go to school? Buy or bring?

Bring. They're not bad, but I don't think I could eat from the restaurants near work every day.

Rockntractor
03-28-2012, 06:49 PM
I eat lunch at local restaurants. Try to keep it under $20.

Oh, there was this place I discovered recently with some co-workers. They have this burger... it's 1/2 beef, 1/4 lamb, 1/4 duck and you get it with bacon and cheese. OMFG. Ranks up there with a wild boar burger you can get on the other side of town.

I want one!http://www.smiley-lol.com/smiley/manger/essen.gif

Kay
03-28-2012, 07:33 PM
I live about 5 minutes from my office and we generally take 1.5 hours for lunch (11:30 - 12:00). So I usually come home and take my dogs out for a walk. Occasionally I have lunch meetings and we order catering in at the office.

Rockntractor
03-28-2012, 07:42 PM
I live about 5 minutes from my office and we generally take 1.5 hours for lunch (11:30 - 12:00). So I usually come home and take my dogs out for a walk. Occasionally I have lunch meetings and we order catering in at the office.

Do you live outside the space-time continuum, that's 30 min?http://www.picgifs.com/smileys/smileys-and-emoticons/confused/smileys-confused-389931.gif (http://www.picgifs.com/smileys/)

Kay
03-28-2012, 08:14 PM
Hey 30 minutes with me always feels like an hour and a half. :cool:
Actually Rock, I was just testing your reading comprehension.
That should have been 11:30 - 1:00.

Articulate_Ape
03-28-2012, 09:12 PM
I work from home, so my kitchen is my lunchbox. :smile-new:

NJCardFan
03-28-2012, 10:37 PM
I'm not allowed to bring in anything but 2 bottles of water leaving me 3 choices: Prison food prepared by inmates, eating junk out of vending machines, or nothing at all for 8 hours(more if I get stuck at work). Since I'm diabetic, option 3 isn't a good one, however, it's usually the on I opt for.

Rockntractor
03-28-2012, 11:28 PM

Okay so like that is really hard, reach into the fridge, grab a banana and scratch your balls!http://www.smiley-lol.com/smiley/expressifs/yeux/dubitatif.gif

SaintLouieWoman
03-28-2012, 11:56 PM
Before we moved here, I always brought my lunch to work and ate with some friends in the company lunch room and watched the noon news on our little TV there. It saved a lot of time. I was in sales, so I could get more paperwork done, make more sales calls and leave work earlier. All the sales reps were famous for those 3pm Friday sales calls on customers. :biggrin-new:

One of the guys at the SLPD was my cover in case management checked. They were a good bunch of folks at the station. SR met them when I left the company.

Also I saved a ton of money and many calories. I didn't work too very far from "The Hill" in STL, the home of that delicious, fattening authentic Italian food. We went there on a few special occasions, but not too often.

BadCat
03-29-2012, 08:54 AM
I bring a bag of democratunderground (dried fruits & nuts) and snack on that.

noonwitch
03-29-2012, 09:05 AM
I get take out food when I'm working. Today it's payday, so I'm probably going to treat myself to some middle eastern food, since my favorite ME place is near the credit union. It's either that or BBQ from Slow's To Go. Those are the more expensive places I go, with $12 lunches. Usually, it's the deli, Blimpies, or chinese food. When I have coworkers who like to go places at lunch time, I like to go to Mexican Village for lunch, the restaurants all have cheap lunch specials. Detroit is a good place to eat cheap.

Hawkgirl
03-29-2012, 12:08 PM
I'm not allowed to bring in anything but 2 bottles of water leaving me 3 choices: Prison food prepared by inmates, eating junk out of vending machines, or nothing at all for 8 hours(more if I get stuck at work). Since I'm diabetic, option 3 isn't a good one, however, it's usually the on I opt for.
That blows, no local food joints you can go to?

I can see why they don't allow anyone to bring in things from home with the kids you're watching.

Zeus
03-29-2012, 12:31 PM
I never really know where i'll be at "Lunch Time" so If i eat lunch at all it's usually at the most convenient spot at the time. The gals at the office don't believe I'm eating right/enough so they frequently ply me with homemade meals and such.

noonwitch
03-29-2012, 01:54 PM

That's a bummer. At least the prison in Detroit has a good pizza place nearby.

Do the other COs also bring lunches in? You guys could do potluck once in a while-that's what the firemen that were my dad's friends did, since they were stuck in the firehouse on their shifts. We used to do potluck here at least monthly, but not since all the older people retired. The young ones don't know how to cook. If we did one now, there's be my spinach pie, Gail's homemade rolls and a whole lot of crap from the deli counter at Meijer.

Hawkgirl
03-29-2012, 04:49 PM
If we did one now, there's be my spinach pie, .

How do you make your spinach pie? I make the Greek version, Spanokopita with phillo dough.

noonwitch
03-29-2012, 04:59 PM
How do you make your spinach pie? I make the Greek version, Spanokopita with phillo dough.

Same thing. I use frozen and defrosted phyllo dough. I also use frozen (2 10 oz packages) spinach that has been defrosted and all the water squeezed out. 3 kinds of cheese-mozzarella (8 oz package), feta, and a couple of spoons of ricotta to even it out. One yellow onion and one bunch of green onions. 6 eggs and a half to 3 quarters cup of fresh, chopped dill. A lot of people use a half cup of dill and a half cup of mint, but I don't like mint with meat or cheese. I cook the spinach and onion in a little bit of butter, then mix it with the other filling ingredients, adding the dill last.

But most importantly, I use 3 sticks of butter brushed on the phyllo.

Hawkgirl
03-29-2012, 05:32 PM
Same thing. I use frozen and defrosted phyllo dough. I also use frozen (2 10 oz packages) spinach that has been defrosted and all the water squeezed out. 3 kinds of cheese-mozzarella (8 oz package), feta, and a couple of spoons of ricotta to even it out. One yellow onion and one bunch of green onions. 6 eggs and a half to 3 quarters cup of fresh, chopped dill. A lot of people use a half cup of dill and a half cup of mint, but I don't like mint with meat or cheese. I cook the spinach and onion in a little bit of butter, then mix it with the other filling ingredients, adding the dill last.

But most importantly, I use 3 sticks of butter brushed on the phyllo.

That's my recipe, more or less.

Retread
03-29-2012, 05:34 PM

According to how you define "work", me too. Usually we cook lunch and then warm leftovers for supper.

Today, pan-grilled steak, mac & cheese and mixed vegetables (NO broccoli!). Tonight BLT's before the tomatoes go bad.

Artois
04-19-2012, 02:41 PM
I generally bring something small to snack on throughout the day and just take a nap at lunch time. Going out to eat if I'm actually feeling hungry. If I worked in a more office environment with a kitchen area, I'd likely bring a lunch in just to be healthier.

enslaved1
04-19-2012, 04:47 PM

Wow, they aren't nearly that picky at my prison. The food has to be in a clear container (Subways here in town will wrap your sandwich in clear wrap when you come in in uniform), and recently they relaxed it down to where if the store bought food is in it's original, unopened package and can clear the metal detectors, it's good. Waiting patiently for someone to do something stupid and blow that one.

The prison food sucks 99% of the time, but it's free. I keep a good supply of chips, cookies, sunflower seeds and other munchies for those occasional inedible staff trays, or the nights when you just can't get down to pick up a tray.

RobJohnson
04-22-2012, 04:44 AM
It depends on my shift and schedule.

I try to bring at least one healthy snack with me to work and at work I mostly drink water.

I have new job duties at work and I no longer work around graziers that eat all fucking day and that will include a few fast food runs...these are young girls and they keep having to buy larger clothes...everytime I purchase clothes, mine are smaller....I don't missing working side by side with those women...they were so freaking lazy and then the guy that did most of the work was the one that took the most heat....ha...they miss me now!