PDA

View Full Version : Occupy the Military Industrial Complex

SarasotaRepub
04-01-2012, 06:48 PM
Good Lord, what a bunch of retards... (http://www.ips-dc.org/media/occupy_the_military_industrial_complex) :rolleyes:

On April 17, thousands of people all over the world will occupy the military industrial complex as part of the Global Day of Action on Military Spending.

I'm sure this will get the coverage it deserves...

Gentleman Pirate
04-01-2012, 07:00 PM
I think they should storm the gates to military bases around the country. Thin out the gene pool a little bit.

Molon Labe
04-02-2012, 09:05 AM
You know that the MIC was a term coined by a Conservative Republican who managed the entire operation and saw how it worked first hand.

Stoic
04-02-2012, 09:22 AM
You know that the MIC was a term coined by a Conservative Republican who managed the entire operation and saw how it worked first hand.

True, but that was fifty years ago. Eisenhower could never have foreseen the rise of the politico-media complex, which, overall, has been FAR worse for this country.

Odysseus
04-02-2012, 10:27 AM
I have a meeting at the Pentagon that day. This should be fun.

Molon Labe
04-02-2012, 11:19 AM
True, but that was fifty years ago. Eisenhower could never have foreseen the rise of the politico-media complex, which, overall, has been FAR worse for this country.

I agree that the media circus is part of the problem. but guess what the poltico media complex is in bed with and tries to obfuscate?

newshutr
04-02-2012, 11:45 AM
I have a meeting at the Pentagon that day. This should be fun.

I hope they try and send out vibes to get the Pentagon to try and float like they tried to do in the late 60's..

Maybe they'll get it right this time...

noonwitch
04-02-2012, 01:20 PM
I hope they try and send out vibes to get the Pentagon to try and float like they tried to do in the late 60's..

Maybe they'll get it right this time...

Somewhere in my wicca books, there is a chapter about that attempt. I forgot which book, but I know I read about it in one of them. It was probably one of Starhawk's books, she was a 60s hippie radical.

marinejcksn
04-03-2012, 09:35 PM
IKE had it exactly right. We went from combat to commerce and nobody skipped a beat, except those of us who actually served in the Wars this country fought.

I would support bringing back the military draft...provided it only applies to the children and grandchildren of Senators and Congressmen. How quick do you think we'd end all wars if that were the case? :rolleyes:

Odysseus
04-04-2012, 11:30 AM
IKE had it exactly right. We went from combat to commerce and nobody skipped a beat, except those of us who actually served in the Wars this country fought.

I would support bringing back the military draft...provided it only applies to the children and grandchildren of Senators and Congressmen. How quick do you think we'd end all wars if that were the case? :rolleyes:

Ike was concerned that the military/commercial interests would end up dictating policy and result in the erosion of civilian leadership. The opposite has happened. The welfare state has become the dominant priority of the civilian leadership, and defense is way down on the list of priorities for those politicians who want to maintain the goodies. The danger is not that the armed forces will look for wars to justify our budgets, but that the civilian leaders see us as an alien entity that can be deployed at will, with minimal political cost. Rather than drafting the children of politicians (do you really want to have to lead Al Gore Jr or the Kennedy spawn into combat?), I'd prefer to see military service become a requirement for elected office at the federal level, with a CCC-style commitment for those who are medically unfit for military service. Don't want to serve? No problem. But if you don't serve, you don't get to run the country.

marinejcksn
04-04-2012, 08:51 PM
I'd prefer to see military service become a requirement for elected office at the federal level, with a CCC-style commitment for those who are medically unfit for military service. Don't want to serve? No problem. But if you don't serve, you don't get to run the country.

I agree with that, 100%.

On a side note, as far as military excesses are concerned...we know the troops and vets are never paid what they deserve. But I think you'd have to agree...the Pentagon's budget should be equal opportunity on the chopping block, if we're talking about real cuts. I doubt you'd find any logistician or supply manager who'd argue there isn't a HUGE amount of fraud, waste and abuse going on.

Odysseus
04-04-2012, 11:26 PM
I agree with that, 100%.

On a side note, as far as military excesses are concerned...we know the troops and vets are never paid what they deserve. But I think you'd have to agree...the Pentagon's budget should be equal opportunity on the chopping block, if we're talking about real cuts. I doubt you'd find any logistician or supply manager who'd argue there isn't a HUGE amount of fraud, waste and abuse going on.

I'm a loggie (or, as I like to think of it, recovering cavalry), and I can tell you that our fraud, waste and abuse is far less than any other branch of government. We just get much more scrutiny in the media. Besides, our budget is a straw man. Obama didn't increase the federal debt by $5 trillion during his administration by increasing defense spending, he did it by increasing spending in areas where the federal authority to impose itself is dubious, at best. Simply eliminating his new programs and expenditures and forcing the senate to actually submit a budget would eliminate most of the problem. Before they tough our budget, they should cut back the increase spending imposed by Obama.

marinejcksn
04-05-2012, 04:14 PM
I wholeheartedly agree.

The one thing that really bothered me when involved in supply in Iraq was the frivalous requests for gear we barely even used, simply because we were told "there's unlimited funds". I kept getting yelled at in my unit because I wouldn't submit half the orders, until my SgtMaj told me to do it. Even she agreed, there's no such thing as "unlimited funds" when it's taxpayers footing the bill!

Iraq. Don't get me started on how many lives and much money we pissed away in that third world dump for nothing. :mad-new:

wineslob
04-06-2012, 01:07 PM
Where is the Military Industrial Complex? Never seen it before.

:rolleyes:

Idiots

marinejcksn
04-07-2012, 07:56 AM
Where is the Military Industrial Complex? Never seen it before.
:rolleyes:

Idiots

I can't tell...sarcasm?

Odysseus
04-07-2012, 07:11 PM
I wholeheartedly agree.

The one thing that really bothered me when involved in supply in Iraq was the frivalous requests for gear we barely even used, simply because we were told "there's unlimited funds". I kept getting yelled at in my unit because I wouldn't submit half the orders, until my SgtMaj told me to do it. Even she agreed, there's no such thing as "unlimited funds" when it's taxpayers footing the bill!

Iraq. Don't get me started on how many lives and much money we pissed away in that third world dump for nothing. :mad-new:

It might not have been for nothing if we'd kept a stabilizing presence there. South Korea looked hellish in 1953, but look at it now. Obama threw away the possibility of victory for political expediency.

Starbuck
04-07-2012, 10:42 PM
Where is the Military Industrial Complex? Never seen it before.......

It's in Groom Lake, NV. Hopefully the dingbats will all gather and rush across the desert at the place like a bunch of Mad Max's.

That would be fun.:smile-new:

Odysseus
04-08-2012, 10:36 AM
It's in Groom Lake, NV. Hopefully the dingbats will all gather and rush across the desert at the place like a bunch of Mad Max's.

That would be fun.:smile-new:

I think that they should do that at White Sands Missile Range. They can stand out by the big sign that says "Impact Area".

marinejcksn
04-10-2012, 08:13 PM
It might not have been for nothing if we'd kept a stabilizing presence there. South Korea looked hellish in 1953, but look at it now. Obama threw away the possibility of victory for political expediency.

The thing that saddens me is the boys we flew on Angel flights...younger than myself at the time in '06. All that time, the contractors making 5-6 times what the average PFC made while WE were the ones with our asses on the line....and now it's all situated just to go to crap like Afghanistan.

Makes you think Smedley Butler was right when he said War is a Racket. :blue:

Odysseus
04-11-2012, 12:09 AM
The thing that saddens me is the boys we flew on Angel flights...younger than myself at the time in '06. All that time, the contractors making 5-6 times what the average PFC made while WE were the ones with our asses on the line....and now it's all situated just to go to crap like Afghanistan.

Makes you think Smedley Butler was right when he said War is a Racket. :blue:

I hate to speak ill of a Marine, especially one with a distinguished career, but Smedley Butler was wrong, and his politics clouded his judgment.

ralph wiggum
04-11-2012, 12:15 AM
Why don't these bozos occupy something important, like perhaps a job?

Odysseus
04-17-2012, 04:17 PM
Why don't these bozos occupy something important, like perhaps a job?

Because first they'd have to occupy a few other things, like a shower, and a suit (or at least some clothing that doesn't feature pictures of Che).

BTW, all quiet at the Pentagon today, but I'm sure that they are making life interesting for some recruiting station somewhere. :rolleyes: