PDA

View Full Version : Picking Right Blood Pressure Medicine Challenging

Rockntractor
04-03-2012, 02:01 PM
It's hard to predict which pills will best lower which patient's high blood pressure, but researchers are hunting ways to better personalize therapy - perhaps even using a blood test.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2010/09/07/picking-right-blood-pressure-medicine-challenging/#ixzz1r0A9aCqb

SaintLouieWoman
04-06-2012, 12:12 AM
Perhaps I can further torment my doc by asking for a renin test. I've had every combo imaginable and it's still not getting the desired results. He's the type who wants to be in control, doesn't welcome inquiries from the patient. He finally agreed to change my bp drugs, cutting down the # of meds and increasing the dosage on one of the remaining ones. I'm down from4 to 3 meds.

Rockntractor
04-06-2012, 01:00 AM
Perhaps I can further torment my doc by asking for a renin test. I've had every combo imaginable and it's still not getting the desired results. He's the type who wants to be in control, doesn't welcome inquiries from the patient. He finally agreed to change my bp drugs, cutting down the # of meds and increasing the dosage on one of the remaining ones. I'm down from4 to 3 meds.

I always check if a side effect is possible kidney damage, to me no medicine is worth possible dialysis later in life.

Zeus
04-06-2012, 01:14 AM
I always check if a side effect is possible kidney damage, to me no medicine is worth possible dialysis later in life.

The majority of medicines list either/or kidney or liver problems as a possible side effect. Heart medications list cardiac arrest as a possible side effect, Antidepressants list suicidal tendancies as a possible side effect.

Like my dad used to ponder 'Sometimes I wonder if these damn pills are keeping me alive longer or killing me quicker".

Rockntractor
04-06-2012, 01:20 AM
The majority of medicines list either/or kidney or liver problems as a possible side effect. Heart medications list cardiac arrest as a possible side effect, Antidepressants list suicidal tendancies as a possible side effect.

Like my dad used to ponder 'Sometimes I wonder if these damn pills are keeping me alive longer or killing me quicker".

I watched my wife's dad die an awfully painful death when his kidneys failed, the doctors attributed it to the heart medication and blood pressure medication they gave him.

Zeus
04-06-2012, 01:25 AM
I watched my wife's dad die an awfully painful death when his kidneys failed, the doctors attributed it to the heart medication and blood pressure medication they gave him.

Not to make light of FIL death from what I've heard a heart attack is no walk in the park.

Rockntractor
04-06-2012, 01:33 AM
Not to make light of FIL death from what I've heard a heart attack is no walk in the park.

True, it can be a real toss up, and then to complicate things, high blood pressure is a cause of kidney disease.

Rockntractor
04-06-2012, 01:36 AM
When I worked in the machine shop my blood pressure was high and I took medication for it, when I went into business myself working outdoors it went down to normal and sometimes in the morning borderline, so I don't take it anymore.

linda22003
04-06-2012, 11:55 AM
I've reduced my blood pressure greatly through that old tired combo, diet and exercise. I'm down from 4 to 3 meds; my doctor believes in low dosages of several things rather than bigger doese of one or two.

Zeus
04-06-2012, 12:21 PM
True, it can be a real toss up, and then to complicate things, high blood pressure is a cause of kidney disease.

My Blood pressure went up when i first found out i had cancer and started treatment,then it dropped and leveled off after about a month. I discussed discontinuing the meds with my Dr. who of course expressed concern. I asked the Dr. "I Have Cancer , Knowing I have cancer both would be a reason my BP rose correct ?'. He agreed. I further asked the Dr. 'I've Started Radiation treatment, have under gone two treatments so far, Now as I understand it ea radiation treatment is roughly equivalent to 1000 x-rays correct ?" The Dr. agreed. "Now That has to be a shock to the system correct elevating my BP correct ?" Again The Dr. agreed. "Now If I am not mistaken the longer a person is on BP meds the the greater the odds are they will not be able to get off their meds and maintain a healthy BP level correct ?" again agreement. The Dr. agreed to let me discontinue the BP meds and gave me a handy little piece of battery operated digital electronics to take my BP 2x a day.

Folks don't be afraid to question your Dr. It's your healthcare not theirs or Obamas.

Rockntractor
04-06-2012, 12:50 PM
The Dr. agreed to let me discontinue the BP meds and gave me a handy little piece of battery operated digital electronics to take my BP 2x a day.

Folks don't be afraid to question your Dr. It's your healthcare not theirs or Obamas.

That is where I am now, I have a prescription and will take it if it goes over safe levels. So far it is has been steady in safe levels.
With most doctors I have noticed blood pressure medication is almost a religion with them.

SaintLouieWoman
04-09-2012, 11:25 PM
That's a great piece of advice. I had read in Public Citizen's publication of Good Pills, Bad Pills, that taking two bp meds in the same class can contribute to kidney disease. The specific study was a follow up study on doctors who refused to accept the validity of that premise.

I asked the pulmonologist about the 2 meds in question and he was familiar with the studies (my internist was not). He told me to be on only 1 of the 2 meds and to ask my internist to make the decision which one to keep and up the dosage.

I was on two generics, lisinopril and losartan. They dropped the losartan finally and upped the lisinopril from 20 mg to 30 mg. I'm supposed to return in mid-May to see if it's working.

Zeus, your advice is just so good. Thank you.