PDA

View Full Version : Anybody Watch This Stuff?

LogansPapa
06-09-2008, 06:12 PM
Discovery Channel's 'When We Left Earth: The NASA Missions'

They definitely had King Kong balls in the Mercury Program. :eek:

JB
06-09-2008, 06:22 PM
Discovery Channel's 'When We Left Earth: The NASA Missions'

They definitely had King Kong balls in the Mercury Program. :eek:I watched a couple of episodes last night. Good stuff. They were launching Gemini projects every couple months! I think Gemini 6 and 7 went up within 3 days of each other off the same pad.

The video archives of that era crack me up. Buncha eggheads sitting around in short sleeves, smoking like fiends, not even giving a shit that they were in the most unchartered waters known to mankind at the time. Marlboro deserves some credit for getting us to the moon. :D

Worth watching if you're into that stuff.

LogansPapa
06-09-2008, 06:28 PM
Certainly must have been a different time. And I guess somebody had to try it - especially with the fierce Russian competition. I think our guys were maybe a bit crazy, but the potato heads from the USSR were just plain loony!

:eek:

LibraryLady
06-09-2008, 06:32 PM
I watched some of it. I still have a book about the 7 Astronauts - guess it's close to 50 years old. I could name them all. Schoolkids really had heroes back then.

Scott Carpenter
Gordon Cooper
John Glenn
"Gus" Grissom
"Wally" Schirra
Alan Shepard
"Deke" Slayton

Here's a goody:

all seven of the original Mercury astronauts were first-born

BSR
06-09-2008, 07:39 PM
Good program, I enjoyed it a lot last night.

Zeus
06-09-2008, 07:43 PM
Yeppers the Gemini Astronauts Had some big ones. Modern Day astronauts also they just run the risk of blowing up in fancier equipment. It's remarkable when you think about the PC you are posting from has more computing power than the computers aboard the Gemini rockets that sent man to the moon and back.

gator
06-09-2008, 07:45 PM
I watched a couple of episodes last night. Good stuff. They were launching Gemini projects every couple months! I think Gemini 6 and 7 went up within 3 days of each other off the same pad.

The video archives of that era crack me up. Buncha eggheads sitting around in short sleeves, smoking like fiends, not even giving a shit that they were in the most unchartered waters known to mankind at the time. Marlboro deserves some credit for getting us to the moon. :D

Of course many of those people died of cancer at an early age.

When I went to work at Martin Marietta in the 1980s many of the scientists and engineers were dying in their 50s and 60s from cancer.

MstrBlue
06-09-2008, 10:12 PM
Watched it.
Loved it!
Recorded it.
Set the DVR to record the rest of the Series.
Using information from it as details for a book I am writing!