PDA

View Full Version : Why do we even have the anthem before sporting events? Who invented that shit?

Sparky
09-16-2008, 01:34 PM
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=105x8099843

Rabrrrrrr (1000+ posts) Tue Sep-16-08 12:11 PM
Original message
Why do we even have the anthem before sporting events? Who invented that shit?
Advertisements [?]Seriously - WTF?!?!?!

I hate it, and I find it disgusting. :eek:

Why do I even bother letting this stuff shock me anymore???

Troll
09-16-2008, 02:23 PM
Much as it galls me, I am in semi-agreement with Rabrrrrrr.

We're talking about the National Anthem here, I don't need to hear it every time 20 guys go and whack a ball around. I think it rather cheapens it when we do it out of habit before events that have zero real relevance to the United States, especially considering that 99% of the renditions are total crap. Before the Super Bowl, okay, but Raiders vs Broncos Week 1, not so much.

patriot45
09-16-2008, 02:28 PM
Here is a wacky-wacky for you!

lionesspriyanka (1000+ posts) Tue Sep-16-08 01:12 PM
Response to Original message
2. chauvisinsts. jingoists. other such people who are good at manipulating people
Edited on Tue Sep-16-08 01:12 PM by lionesspriyanka
Printer Friendly | Permalink | Reply | Top

HA!

IndianaJones (1000+ posts) Tue Sep-16-08 01:13 PM
Response to Reply #2
3. your citizenship should be revoked...move to Europe. nt.

Redstone (1000+ posts) Tue Sep-16-08 01:46 PM
12. Simon-pure, unadulterated jingoism, of course. Are there, for example, any other countries
(except maybe for North Korea and the like) who require their kids to state a Loyalty Oath (and don't kid yourself, that's EXACTLY what the Pledge of Alliegance is) every morning in school?

My brother and I caught NO end of flak from the schools in the late 1960s and early 1970s for refusing to speak the Pledge aloud (because we're American Indians). And we did show respect by standing, even though we refused to do the hand-on-the-heart bit, or to recite.

Redstone
Printer Friendly | Permalink | Reply | Top
Redstone (1000+ posts) Tue Sep-16-08 01:58 PM
13. Speaking of "The Star-Spangled Banner:" I'm tired of hearing people say that it's
so, SO hard to sing, and that's the reason so many people mangle it when they sing it in public.

For God's sake, I never had a hell of a lot more than an octave's worth of range when I used to play music (and sing) for a living, but even now, after many years of no practice and all those cigs, I can still sing THAT song without any trouble at all.

Anyone who can't sing that song just flat can't sing at all. Stop whining.

Redstone

Shannon
09-16-2008, 02:34 PM
Rabrrrrrr (1000+ posts) Tue Sep-16-08 12:11 PM
Original message
Why do we even have the anthem before sporting events? Who invented that shit?
Advertisements [?]Seriously - WTF?!?!?!

I hate it, and I find it disgusting.

Hate it and find it disgusting. Lovely.:rolleyes:

linda22003
09-16-2008, 02:41 PM
I have no problem with the anthem. My question would be, "Why do we have sporting events? Who invented that shit?" :p

Constitutionally Speaking
09-16-2008, 03:31 PM
I have no problem with the anthem. My question would be, "Why do we have sporting events? Who invented that shit?" :p

Damn you to hell you heathen!!!! :D

JB
09-16-2008, 03:40 PM
I have no problem with the anthem. My question would be, "Why do we have sporting events? Who invented that shit?" :pNo one was singing the Anthem anywhere so they decided to invent some games to get it some more play.

FlaGator
09-16-2008, 03:45 PM
No one was singing the Anthem anywhere so they decided to invent some games to get it some more play.

Makes sense to me... but it still doesn't explain the invention of curling.

JB
09-16-2008, 03:49 PM
Makes sense to me... but it still doesn't explain the invention of curling.Hey, you have to break a few eggs, and all that. :D