PDA

View Full Version : Marlins Manager Suspended After Castro Comment

NJCardFan
04-10-2012, 12:36 PM
When you're the manager of a Major League Baseball team in a city full of expatriated Cubans, singing the praises of Fidel Castro probably should be on the bottom of things you should say. Marlins manager Ozzie Guillen made comments about how he admired Castro and how long he's been in power. The Marlins suspended him before MLB could act. Here is the article: http://content.usatoday.com/communities/dailypitch/post/2012/04/ozzie-guillen-apology-fidel-castro/1#.T4RexatulfA

Generation Why?
04-10-2012, 12:48 PM
Obviously a faux pas to say, especially in Miami. I have been watching baseball for 20 years and can never quite figure Ozzie out. He said some remarks about Chavez (Being from Venezuela) that were controversial, then later down the road had nothing but hatred for him. Ozzie is an interesting man. He said something not very smart. I will leave it at that. Still a good person, and pretty good American. (Example: Exercising his 1st Amendmant right to say wickedly outlandish things)

NJCardFan
04-10-2012, 01:03 PM
Obviously a faux pas to say, especially in Miami. I have been watching baseball for 20 years and can never quite figure Ozzie out. He said some remarks about Chavez (Being from Venezuela) that were controversial, then later down the road had nothing but hatred for him. Ozzie is an interesting man. He said something not very smart. I will leave it at that. Still a good person, and pretty good American. (Example: Exercising his 1st Amendmant right to say wickedly outlandish things)

I really, really wish people would educate themselves on the 1st Amendment. Just because you have the right to say stupid things, doesn't make you immune from them.

Novaheart
04-10-2012, 01:12 PM
I really, really wish people would educate themselves on the 1st Amendment. Just because you have the right to say stupid things, doesn't make you immune from them.

Selective indignation.

txradioguy
04-10-2012, 01:15 PM
Selective indignation.

Says the subject matter expert.

Generation Why?
04-10-2012, 01:15 PM

I didn't say what he said was good. I disagree with him wholeheartedly, as does most of America. It was a harmless statement at the end of my comment making a little light of Ozzie's slip up.

txradioguy
04-10-2012, 01:17 PM

Guillen has always let his godzilla mouth write checks his canary @ss can't cash. Thankfully this time the management decided not to just laugh it off and say "that's just Ozzie being Ozzie". Especially since they are in a new stadium and relying heavily on the local Cuban population to fill the seats.

Generation Why?
04-10-2012, 01:20 PM
Guillen has always let his godzilla mouth write checks his canary @ss can't cash. Thankfully this time the management decided not to just laugh it off and say "that's just Ozzie being Ozzie". Especially since they are in a new stadium and relying heavily on the local Cuban population to fill the seats.

Very true. I remember someone bringing up the idea of firing him on ESPN the other day. No whay that was going to happen. He is a good manager. He just doesn't have a filter at times.

Bailey
04-10-2012, 01:32 PM

Yes but I dont think anyone should lose their job over saying something as stupid (and petty) as what he said.

Odysseus
04-10-2012, 01:36 PM
Very true. I remember someone bringing up the idea of firing him on ESPN the other day. No whay that was going to happen. He is a good manager. He just doesn't have a filter at times.

Gullen claims that he didn't translate what he meant to say effectively, and he might be telling the truth. From the article:

When asked, "Who's the toughest man you know," Guillen named Castro.

He said, "He's a bull ... dictator and everybody's against him and he still survives, has power. ... I don't admire his philosophy, I admire him."

Had he not said the last part, about admiring him, he'd probably have had no issue. Few Cubans would deny that Castro is tough, especially his victims. As long as the management is willing to take the lost revenue that will come from his comments, it's their decision.

NJCardFan
04-10-2012, 02:15 PM
Yes but I dont think anyone should lose their job over saying something as stupid (and petty) as what he said.

Then you don't understand the gravity of the situation. The Marlins are marketing themselves heavily in the Hispanic community which is more heavily Cuban. Expatriates who left because of Castro. They just opened a new stadium and need fans to show up considering they couldn't draw flies at Dolphins Stadium if they covered the seats in sugar and honey. They don't need their manager singing the praises of the man who forced these people to leave their homeland.

NJCardFan
04-10-2012, 02:36 PM
Selective indignation.

Uh, no. The 1st Amendment does not grant us countenance to run around saying anything we want with no possibility of penalty. The 1st amendment was designed to protect us from being silenced if we speak out against the government, it wasn't designed to give us the ability to act like total asshats. Want proof? Threats against the president, even if you don't mean it, gets you arrested. Also, the Marlins are a private organization who can have whatever rules they want, plain and simple. Don't like it, go manage somewhere else.

JB
04-10-2012, 06:53 PM
Selective indignation.I think what he means is that there were probably folks, maybe members of this board, that laughed at and thought nothing should happen to John Rocker when he went on his tirade a few years back.

I could be mistaken though.

NJCardFan
04-10-2012, 08:26 PM
I think what he means is that there were probably folks, maybe members of this board, that laughed at and thought nothing should happen to John Rocker when he went on his tirade a few years back.

I could be mistaken though.

But Rocker was also censured. The difference is, though, is that Rocker's statements didn't alienate the Braves' fanbase. Guillen's did.

JB
04-10-2012, 09:04 PM
The difference is, though, is that Rocker's statements didn't alienate the Braves' fanbase. Guillen's did.So you would give Guillen a pass if he managed the Minnesota Twins?

NJCardFan
04-10-2012, 09:07 PM
So you would give Guillen a pass if he managed the Minnesota Twins?
That would be the choice of the Minnesota Twins.

JB
04-10-2012, 09:14 PM
That would be the choice of the Minnesota Twins.OK, so if the Twins did nothing then it's not about outrage about what he said but outrage that what he said might not sell tickets.

Retread
04-10-2012, 09:31 PM
It was a Marlins management bidniz decision.