PDA

View Full Version : Big quake strikes off coast of Indonesia

SarasotaRepub
04-11-2012, 07:28 AM
By the CNN Wire Staff
updated 6:46 AM EDT, Wed April 11, 2012

Jakarta, Indonesia (CNN) -- A massive earthquake struck off the coast of the Indonesian island of Sumatra on Wednesday afternoon, triggering a tsunami alert for the Indian Ocean.

The quake struck about 434 kilometers (270 miles) southwest of Banda Aceh, the capital of Indonesia's Aceh province, and had a magnitude of 8.6, the U.S. Geological Survey said. It took place at a depth of 23 kilometers (14 miles).

The tremor revived fearful memories of the catastrophic earthquake and tsunami in the region in 2004 that killed tens of thousands of people.

The Pacific Tsunami Warning Center said Wednesday that it had issued a tsunami watch for the entire Indian Ocean, and the Indonesian Meteorology, Climatology and Geophysics Agency said it had put up a tsunami warning.

LINK (http://www.cnn.com/2012/04/11/world/asia/indonesia-earthquake/index.html?hpt=hp_t1)

SarasotaRepub
04-11-2012, 08:55 AM
1st quake not the type that produces a tsunami

The aftershock, 8.2 might. One story I've seen said sea level was dropping...

The first quake, which was centred 20 miles
beneath the ocean floor, was later thought unlikely to have triggered a fatal
wave.

However, the aftershock, which was centred 10
miles beneath the ocean around 380 miles from the provincial capital, Banda
Aceh, may yet unleash a tsunami.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2128105/Indonesia-earthquake-Aceh-triggers-Indian-Ocean-tsunami-alert.html#ixzz1rjh3lrEg

namvet
04-11-2012, 09:12 AM
just heard. I fired off an email to a pal in Bangkok, Thailand. he say "Right now the pundits are saying that there will be no major tsunami here. The news and alerts have pretty much stopped, so probably no cause for alarm."

SarasotaRepub
04-11-2012, 09:18 AM
just heard. I fired off an email to a pal in Bangkok, Thailand. he say "Right now the pundits are saying that there will be no major tsunami here. The news and alerts have pretty much stopped, so probably no cause for alarm."

That's good to hear. I don't blame the people in the area for being jumpy though...