PDA

View Full Version : George Zimmerman to be charged in Trayvon Martin shooting, official says

txradioguy
04-11-2012, 02:25 PM
Florida special prosecutor Angela Corey plans to announce as early as Wednesday afternoon that she is charging neighborhood watch volunteer George Zimmerman in the shooting of Trayvon Martin, according to a law enforcement official close to the investigation.

It was not immediately clear what charge Zimmerman will face.

Martin, 17 and unarmed, was shot and killed Feb. 26 by Zimmerman, who said he was acting in self-defense. Police in Sanford, Fla., where the shooting took place, did not charge Zimmerman, citing the state’s “stand your ground” law.

Corey told reporters Tuesday night that she would hold a news conference about the case within 72 hours. A news release from her office said the event will be held in Sanford or Jacksonville, Fla.

Benjamin Crump, who is representing the Martin family, said this week that Corey’s office had asked where Trayvon’s parents would be each day this week. They arrived Wednesday in Washington for a civil rights conference organized by the Rev. Al Sharpton, where they are scheduled to speak.

The announcement of a charge against Zimmerman would come a day after Zimmerman’s attorneys withdrew from the case, citing their inability to contact Zimmerman.

Lawyers Craig Sonner and Hal Uhrig on Tuesday expressed concern about Zimmerman’s emotional and physical well-being, saying he has taken actions without consulting them. They also said they do not know where Zimmerman is.

“You can stop looking in Florida,” Uhrig told reporters. “Look much further away than that.”

Corey said Monday that she would not bring the case before a grand jury, which was expected to convene this week. She said her decision to forgo the grand jury should not be viewed as a factor in determining whether charges will be filed.

Corey has indicated in recent weeks that she might not need a grand jury to bring charges against Zimmerman.

The lawyers said they stand by their assertions that Zimmerman acted in self-defense when he killed the 17-year-old, who was unarmed, but they acknowledged that they formed their impressions without meeting Zimmerman.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/george-zimmerman-to-be-charged-in-trayvon-martin-shooting-law-enforcement-official-says/2012/04/11/gIQAHJ5oAT_print.html

Molon Labe
04-11-2012, 03:02 PM
And then here comes the attacks on the 2A....

:rolleyes:

txradioguy
04-11-2012, 03:08 PM
And then here comes the attacks on the 2A....

:rolleyes:
That and now the manhunt will be on for Zimmerman and give the race hustlers and their storm troopers in the NBPP the chance to kill him.

Elspeth
04-11-2012, 03:26 PM
The racists have won.

They got their kangaroo court by intimidation.

Retread
04-11-2012, 03:55 PM
And, if by the faintest of chances, he's found 'not guilty' of any charges brought, they will cook up some more and keep prosecuting.

It will only end in a guilty verdict or George's death, whichever comes first.

Odysseus
04-11-2012, 03:56 PM
The racists have won.

They got their kangaroo court by intimidation.

Not necessarily. We don't know what the charges will be, and since the prosecutor didn't convene a grand jury, it's not going to be a capital murder case. Given the forensic evidence that we know of, it would be hard to prove voluntary manslaughter, since there's a compelling case for self defense, and no competent prosecutor is going to file charges in a case this public that they cannot hope to prove.

Just let the system do its job. Don't get outraged until you have something to be outraged about.

Elspeth
04-11-2012, 03:58 PM
Not necessarily. We don't know what the charges will be, and since the prosecutor didn't convene a grand jury, it's not going to be a capital murder case. Given the forensic evidence that we know of, it would be hard to prove voluntary manslaughter, since there's a compelling case for self defense, and no competent prosecutor is going to file charges in a case this public that they cannot hope to prove.

Just let the system do its job. Don't get outraged until you have something to be outraged about.

It's not outrage. It's resignation. I should have used the emoticons. :blue: :blue: :blue: :blue: :blue:

Odysseus
04-11-2012, 04:37 PM
It's not outrage. It's resignation. I should have used the emoticons. :blue: :blue: :blue: :blue: :blue:

Don't be resigned. A teenager died. It would have been highly unusual for there not to have been some charges filed. We cannot expect others to accept the system if we're not prepared to accept it ourselves. Have faith that justice will be done, but be vigilant in order to ensure it.

Elspeth
04-11-2012, 04:46 PM
Don't be resigned. A teenager died. It would have been highly unusual for there not to have been some charges filed. We cannot expect others to accept the system if we're not prepared to accept it ourselves. Have faith that justice will be done, but be vigilant in order to ensure it.

I fear it won't be fair in this case, that political exigencies will trump the facts. I fear that they won't be able to find a reasonable jury, but a jury of people with agendas. I remember the OJ jury. I lived in LA during that trial and I remember how the one jury member who thought he was guilty--an elderly white woman--was intimidated into changing her vote. There were stories at the time, but no one did anything. The system did not serve Nicole Simpson nor Ron Goldman nor the children who ended up in the custody of their father instead of their grandparents.

I just think we're going to see another one of these things.

Elspeth
04-11-2012, 06:08 PM
They're going for Second Degree Murder.

Law enforcement official: Zimmerman to be charged with 2nd degree murder by Florida special prosecutor

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/04/11/zimmerman-to-be-charged-by-florida-special-prosecutor-report-says/#ixzz1rlwLqupd

SaintLouieWoman
04-11-2012, 06:23 PM
I fear it won't be fair in this case, that political exigencies will trump the facts. I fear that they won't be able to find a reasonable jury, but a jury of people with agendas. I remember the OJ jury. I lived in LA during that trial and I remember how the one jury member who thought he was guilty--an elderly white woman--was intimidated into changing her vote. There were stories at the time, but no one did anything. The system did not serve Nicole Simpson nor Ron Goldman nor the children who ended up in the custody of their father instead of their grandparents.

I just think we're going to see another one of these things.
Sadly I agree with you, Elspeth. We have too many craven cowards in our "leadership", who are afraid of the mob and listen to the demagogues.

Obama and Holder have worked their "magic" on our country. :blue:

NJCardFan
04-11-2012, 06:23 PM
And, if by the faintest of chances, he's found 'not guilty' of any charges brought, they will cook up some more and keep prosecuting.

No shot at him being found not guilty. The court and jury will cave in to political pressure and make sure this guy is guilty. All this does is embolden the race pimps.

Rockntractor
04-11-2012, 06:28 PM
I have absolutely no confidence in our justice system any longer. He was tried and convicted by the mob and the media.
The trial is a formality.

RedGrouse
04-11-2012, 07:09 PM
If the case went to a grand jury, he probably would of faced no criminal charges. It is a paradox. I wonder when the trial will start since he is now charged.

Elspeth
04-11-2012, 07:30 PM
I have absolutely no confidence in our justice system any longer. He was tried and convicted by the mob and the media.

At some level, this is all about getting Oblahblah re-elected, since he cannot do it on merit.

There is talk of forcing Zimmerman into a plea deal.

Rockntractor
04-11-2012, 08:00 PM
At some level, this is all about getting Oblahblah re-elected, since he cannot do it on merit.

There is talk of forcing Zimmerman into a plea deal.

I have a feeling he'll get his racial unrest, I think he wants just enough unrest to help him out on insuring the black vote and getting back his liberal white guilt vote.
The problem is I'm not sure the genie will go back in the bottle so easy when he finishes with him.

Zathras
04-11-2012, 08:04 PM
And if Mr. Zimmerman is found not guilty on the charges be prepared for the Rodney King riots part 2.

Elspeth
04-11-2012, 08:05 PM
Here's a site that tries to put a map to the timeline:

http://www.wagist.com/2012/dan-linehan/evidence-that-trayvon-martin-doubled-back

Kay
04-11-2012, 09:58 PM

If he is found guilty and has to serve any time at all,
it will be his death. Can you just imagine how long he'd
survive with all the Black Panther types in prison.

I don't know which side is actually in the right here since I didn't witness it.
But if I were on the jury based on what we know so far, there is more than
enough shadow of a doubt that I could not convict him on anything.

Hawkgirl
04-11-2012, 10:05 PM
I don't know which side is actually in the right here since I didn't witness it.

And that is why it wasn't brought to the grand jury by the prosecutor, it would have fanned the flames if the GJ didn't indict. Zimmerman is being sacrificed to stop any potential riots. Is that really justice? Not in my eyes.

NJCardFan
04-11-2012, 10:07 PM
If he is found guilty and has to serve any time at all,
it will be his death. Can you just imagine how long he'd
survive with all the Black Panther types in prison.

He'll have to align himself with an Hispanic gang. Being 1/2 Peruvian, he might be forced to join MS-13 as no one messes with MS-13.

Hawkgirl
04-11-2012, 10:09 PM
He'll have to align himself with an Hispanic gang. Being 1/2 Peruvian, he might be forced to join MS-13 as no one messes with MS-13.

They were featured History channel's Gangland. You're right, no one messes with MS-13.

Hawkgirl
04-11-2012, 10:17 PM
Authorities on Wednesday announced that George Zimmerman has been charged with second-degree murder in the shooting of Trayvon Martin.

After turning himself in, Zimmerman arrived at the county jail in Sanford, Florida late Wednesday. He will appear in court on Thursday, according to the AP, where he is expected to plead not guilty.

Zimmerman has said that he shot Martin out of self defense, a claim that has ignited a national debate over Florida's Stand Your Ground law and simliar laws that exist in other states.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/11/george-zimmerman-new-mugshot_n_1419402.html?ref=crime&ir=Crime&icid=maing-grid7|main5|dl1|sec3_lnk1%26pLid%3D151294

Today's mugshot.

http://i39.tinypic.com/5jwdjr.jpg

Kay
04-12-2012, 12:17 AM
Boy, I just saw a news clip on tv a bit ago of his new defense attorney. :livid:

I thought it was really strange the way the other two attorneys that held
the press conf to say they were no longer representing him were dismissed.
I thought they were making a good case for his innocence and doing a fair
PR job to combat the angry mob accusations. Then all of a sudden they were
ditched. Now this new guy....I hope he is a better attorney than he looks.
He was kind of odd and I couldn't help staring at his teeth.

NJCardFan
04-12-2012, 12:43 AM
Authorities on Wednesday announced that George Zimmerman has been charged with second-degree murder in the shooting of Trayvon Martin.

After turning himself in, Zimmerman arrived at the county jail in Sanford, Florida late Wednesday. He will appear in court on Thursday, according to the AP, where he is expected to plead not guilty.

Zimmerman has said that he shot Martin out of self defense, a claim that has ignited a national debate over Florida's Stand Your Ground law and simliar laws that exist in other states.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/04/11/george-zimmerman-new-mugshot_n_1419402.html?ref=crime&ir=Crime&icid=maing-grid7|main5|dl1|sec3_lnk1%26pLid%3D151294

Today's mugshot.

http://i39.tinypic.com/5jwdjr.jpg

Olive complexion, almond shaped eyes, Hispanic features, yep looks white to me.

Hawkgirl
04-12-2012, 12:54 AM
Olive complexion, almond shaped eyes, Hispanic features, yep looks white to me.
He looks peruvian...and I'm around them alot. Peruvians are good people btw.

Bailey
04-12-2012, 05:15 AM
I could be totally wrong about this but shouldn't they have gone after manslaughter? 2nd degree murder seems harder to prove.

txradioguy
04-12-2012, 05:24 AM
And if Mr. Zimmerman is found not guilty on the charges be prepared for the Rodney King riots part 2.

And then right on cue....Holder will step in with a civil rights violation case.

txradioguy
04-12-2012, 05:25 AM
Boy, I just saw a news clip on tv a bit ago of his new defense attorney. :livid:

I thought it was really strange the way the other two attorneys that held
the press conf to say they were no longer representing him were dismissed.
I thought they were making a good case for his innocence and doing a fair
PR job to combat the angry mob accusations. Then all of a sudden they were
ditched. Now this new guy....I hope he is a better attorney than he looks.
He was kind of odd and I couldn't help staring at his teeth.

Where's Richard "Racehorse" Haynes when you need him!

noonwitch
04-12-2012, 08:46 AM
I could be totally wrong about this but shouldn't they have gone after manslaughter? 2nd degree murder seems harder to prove.

I was surprised by that, too, and I am not necessarily a Zimmerman supporter. Everything I've seen so far spells manslaughter.

There is something that they are not releasing. The special prosecutor was originally going to give her conference on Friday. I'm wondering if Zimmerman made admissions when he called her or when he turned himself in. If he did so without his lawyer present and in a state of extreme distress (due to lots of factors, not the least of which is that people are making death threats against him, and the fact that he is a human being and probably has a lot of remorse about what happened), the new lawyer might be able to get those statements thrown out, if that is what happened.

As far as if he serves any time, most large states have a prison set aside for corrupt cops and other inmates who can't be put into the general population for their own security. They sent Dr. Kervorkian to one like that here, because of his health issues. Either he'd go to a prison like that, or to a federal prison, because there is no way he could be kept safe in a regular high security prison.

Novaheart
04-12-2012, 10:10 AM

The charge seems odd- even if you maintain that he couldn't have thought he was in peril, it wouldn't even approach Second Degree Murder under Florida Law.

Definition of Second Degree Murder
The crime of Second Degree Murder occurs when a person commits either:

Murder with a Depraved Mind or
Accomplice Felony Murder
Murder with a Depraved Mind
Murder with a Depraved Mind occurs when a person is killed, without any premeditated design, by an act imminently dangerous to another and evincing a depraved mind showing no regard for human life.

The primary distinction between Premeditated First Degree Murder and Second Degree Murder with a Depraved Mind is that First Degree Murder requires a specific and premeditated intent to kill.

Accomplice Felony Murder
Accomplice Felony Second Degree Murder occurs when you are an accomplice to a person who kills another human being while engaged in the commission, or attempted commission, of the following statutorily enumerated felonies, regardless of whether they intended the death:

Aggravated abuse of an elderly person or disabled adult,
Aggravated child abuse,
Aggravated stalking,
Aircraft piracy,
Arson,
Burglary
Carjacking,
Distribution of Controlled Substances
Escape,
Home-invasion robbery,
Kidnapping,
Murder of another human being,
Resisting Officer with Violence,
Robbery,
Sexual battery,
Terrorism,
Trafficking in Controlled Substances, or
Unlawful throwing, placing, or discharging of a destructive device or bomb.

Bailey
04-12-2012, 10:28 AM
The charge seems odd- even if you maintain that he couldn't have thought he was in peril, it wouldn't even approach Second Degree Murder under Florida Law.

Definition of Second Degree Murder
The crime of Second Degree Murder occurs when a person commits either:

Murder with a Depraved Mind or
Accomplice Felony Murder
Murder with a Depraved Mind
Murder with a Depraved Mind occurs when a person is killed, without any premeditated design, by an act imminently dangerous to another and evincing a depraved mind showing no regard for human life.

The primary distinction between Premeditated First Degree Murder and Second Degree Murder with a Depraved Mind is that First Degree Murder requires a specific and premeditated intent to kill.

Accomplice Felony Murder
Accomplice Felony Second Degree Murder occurs when you are an accomplice to a person who kills another human being while engaged in the commission, or attempted commission, of the following statutorily enumerated felonies, regardless of whether they intended the death:

Aggravated abuse of an elderly person or disabled adult,
Aggravated child abuse,
Aggravated stalking,
Aircraft piracy,
Arson,
Burglary
Carjacking,
Distribution of Controlled Substances
Escape,
Home-invasion robbery,
Kidnapping,
Murder of another human being,
Resisting Officer with Violence,
Robbery,
Sexual battery,
Terrorism,
Trafficking in Controlled Substances, or
Unlawful throwing, placing, or discharging of a destructive device or bomb.

This could be a total shot in the dark but it seems they want to be seen doing something and 2nd murder is pretty hard to prove. I think either they are trying to get him to cop to a lower charge or if the case goes to hell and he gets off they can at least point to the fact that they charged him.

Odysseus
04-12-2012, 05:26 PM

As I said before, he have no business asking others to accept the system is we are not willing to abide by it ourselves. Just as Zimmerman has a presumption of innocence, the system must have a presumption of justice. Otherwise the race hustlers are right, and the whole thing is a sham that simply perpetuates the power of those who are in charge.

RedGrouse
04-12-2012, 05:59 PM
This caught my attention.

There's a "high likelihood it could be dismissed by the judge even before the jury gets to hear the case," Florida defense attorney Richard Hornsby said.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57413163/george-zimmerman-makes-first-court-appearance/

Rockntractor
04-12-2012, 10:13 PM
As I said before, he have no business asking others to accept the system is we are not willing to abide by it ourselves. Just as Zimmerman has a presumption of innocence, the system must have a presumption of justice. Otherwise the race hustlers are right, and the whole thing is a sham that simply perpetuates the power of those who are in charge.

Normally when one prosecuting attorney decides not to press charges they don't replace them until they get the desired result. if this charge doesn't stick and the feds jump in to charge him with something else than we will know if we still have a justice system

Rockntractor
04-13-2012, 01:01 AM

I know what you're saying Ody but I'm kind of with Adam on this one, this train is already off the tracks.

rjas77
04-13-2012, 01:44 AM
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/3036697/ns/msnbc_tv-hardball_with_chris_matthews/#47034974

Isn't this Big Al's new home?

Teetop
04-14-2012, 07:26 PM
This caught my attention.

There's a "high likelihood it could be dismissed by the judge even before the jury gets to hear the case," Florida defense attorney Richard Hornsby said.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57413163/george-zimmerman-makes-first-court-appearance/

I agree! This case is flimsy as wet pasta....

John R.Lott Jr. at NRO. (http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/295984/where-s-probable-cause-john-r-lott-jr)

The charges brought against George Zimmerman sure look like prosecutorial misconduct. The case as put forward by the prosecutor in the “affidavit of probable cause” is startlingly weak. As a former chief economist at the U.S. Sentencing Commission, I have read a number of such affidavits, and cannot recall one lacking so much relevant information. The prosecutor has most likely deliberately overcharged, hoping to intimidate Zimmerman into agreeing to a plea bargain. If this case goes to trial, Zimmerman will almost definitely be found “not guilty” on the charge of second-degree murder.

The prosecutor wasn’t required to go to the grand jury for the indictment, but the fact that she didn’t in such a high-profile case is troubling. Everyone knows how easy it is for a prosecutor to get a grand jury to indict, because only the prosecutor presents evidence. A grand-jury indictment would have provided political cover; that charges were brought without one means that the prosecutor was worried that a grand jury would not give her the indictment.