PDA

View Full Version : The Why Behind the Buy: Purchases We Regret

bijou
04-12-2012, 11:35 AM
We all make purchases we regret. Exhibit A: Repeats of items we already have plenty of (our fifteenth pair of yoga pants). Exhibit B: Gadgets (large and small) that sit idle after a couple of uses (Cappuccino or photo scanner, anyone?). Exhibit C: The super-deluxe version of anything (Cable package, pedicure, business class tickets), that in hindsight was completely frivolous.
As a professional organizer, who works with the detritus (and hang-dog shame) of these lamentable decisions--here is my take on what drives us to drop cash on the unnecessary. And what, pray tell, we can do to resist temptation before it burns a hole in our wallet....

link (http://blog.wellsfargo.com/retirement/2012/04/the_why_behind_the_buy_purchases_we_regret.html)

What was the last thing you bought and now regret. Mine is a pair of shoes, which I fell in love with, they rub in one area and it will be months before I can wear them without pain. :blue:

noonwitch
04-12-2012, 02:21 PM
link (http://blog.wellsfargo.com/retirement/2012/04/the_why_behind_the_buy_purchases_we_regret.html)

What was the last thing you bought and now regret. Mine is a pair of shoes, which I fell in love with, they rub in one area and it will be months before I can wear them without pain. :blue:

I hate when that happens with shoes, because even at DSW, shoes are not cheap.

The last thing I bought and now regret is a book-I ordered 50 Shades of Grey from Amazon, because I heard it was this hot and dirty novel. I got so bored in the first 20 pages that I never got to a sex scene before putting it down and moving on to another book, this one about a girl who went on a missionary trip to Uganda and ended up moving there and adopting 13 orphans.

I later found out that 50 Shades started out as Twilight fan fiction.

bijou
04-12-2012, 02:36 PM
I hate when that happens with shoes, because even at DSW, shoes are not cheap.

The last thing I bought and now regret is a book-I ordered 50 Shades of Grey from Amazon, because I heard it was this hot and dirty novel. I got so bored in the first 20 pages that I never got to a sex scene before putting it down and moving on to another book, this one about a girl who went on a missionary trip to Uganda and ended up moving there and adopting 13 orphans.

I later found out that 50 Shades started out as Twilight fan fiction.
Oh that's disappointing, I had thought of getting that on kindle because of all the buzz about how racy it was. Now I find out it's lacking in raciness and may well feature sparkly vampires. :frown-new:

Hawkgirl
04-12-2012, 04:38 PM
I this one about a girl who went on a missionary trip to Uganda and ended up moving there and adopting 13 orphans.

True story? If so, pretty amazing.

Hawkgirl
04-12-2012, 04:41 PM
I had buyers remorse when I put in an offer on a house a few years ago. Since it was a short sale, it took months before I got a reply. In those months, I was hoping and praying the bank wouldn't accept my offer. They had a substantial deposit so I couldn't walk away. Luckily, the bank didn't accept my offer and I got my deposit back, and didn't move into the house I really didn't want.

Zeus
04-12-2012, 04:58 PM
I had buyers remorse when I put in an offer on a house a few years ago. Since it was a short sale, it took months before I got a reply. In those months, I was hoping and praying the bank wouldn't accept my offer. They had a substantial deposit so I couldn't walk away. Luckily, the bank didn't accept my offer and I got my deposit back, and didn't move into the house I really didn't want.

For future reference, you can rescind any offer without forfeit or default up to the point the offer is accepted.

Hawkgirl
04-12-2012, 05:02 PM
For future reference, you can rescind any offer without forfeit or default up to the point the offer is accepted.

It was accepted by the seller...but being a short sale, it still had to be approved by the bank.

JB
04-12-2012, 07:35 PM
I have a waffle maker in one of my cabinets. Thing is, I haven't had a homemade waffle in about 15 years. Not sure if I bought it or it was a gift. I can't imagine buying it.

Now, back to the chick sex talk that was starting to take shape in this thread.

Retread
04-12-2012, 10:05 PM
I've got at least a half dozen computer add-ons laying around that I paid good money for and ended up useless. Sometimes before they ever got delivered......

noonwitch
04-13-2012, 09:07 AM
True story? If so, pretty amazing.

Yes. The book is called "Kisses From Katie" and is written by Katie Davis. There is a section of full color photos of the kids and other people she's met.

Her family originally was not thrilled with her ideas, and wanted her to at least go to college first. When they visited her and saw all the good she had done, with no special skills and not a lot of money, they understood.

Novaheart
04-13-2012, 09:34 AM
I put a lot of thought into the "big" things that I buy. It's little things which I regret: like doughnuts.

bijou
04-13-2012, 12:24 PM
I put a lot of thought into the "big" things that I buy. It's little things which I regret: like doughnuts.

I can see that. If you've been looking forward to it then there would be a sense of regret at the wasted calories of eating a disappointing doughnut.

RobJohnson
04-14-2012, 07:32 AM
Now, back to the chick sex talk that was starting to take shape in this thread.

I agree. This thread was headed in a really good direction and we need to find that same path again. :cool:

bijou
04-14-2012, 02:40 PM
LOL. Of course the best thing about the kindle is that no one knows what trash you are reading. There is a huge amount of erotica available to download. There are also genres I had never previously come into contact with like paranormal 'romance', not a combination that had occurred to me.

m00
04-14-2012, 02:49 PM

Yeah, for me it's big meals. And it's not the price that I regret. I also continually lament how I'm not saving enough for retirement. But in general I don't have a lot of things. Only expensive things I've really purchased in my life are cars and computers. I don't even own a TV.

NJCardFan
04-15-2012, 12:11 AM
My wife is usually the one who makes purchases she regrets. Shoes mostly but sometimes other things like a thing that makes shaved ice. We used it twice. We also bought an electric griddle we've used twice. I also regret a trip to Ohio we made in 2009. We went to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, which was extremely lame, and the Pro Football Hall of Fame which we both enjoyed. The we moved on to Berlin and were stuck for 5 more days and bored out of our skulls.

Deadhead
04-15-2012, 02:04 AM
The last super big thing I regret buying was Neil Diamond concert tickets. I like oldies, and I thought I might have a good time. Alas....I did not. Short of grandmas bringing their grandchildren, I was by far the youngest person there. And Diamond was just......cheesy. I mean I guess I shouldn't complain, but I was thinking of a multitude of other things I could've been doing

enslaved1
04-15-2012, 11:18 AM
LOL. Of course the best thing about the kindle is that no one knows what trash you are reading. There is a huge amount of erotica available to download. There are also genres I had never previously come into contact with like paranormal 'romance', not a combination that had occurred to me.

Noticed an article the other day that declared having all these ebook readers and being able to read on smartphones where no one can see what you are reading (or buying) has led to a big jump in women's erotic literature. Whether that's good or bad would be a whole 'nother can of worms.

I'm in the same boat as a couple of other folks mentioned, it's usually little stuff and food items that I regret buying, often later when I'm trying to pick up something else and don't have the money left for it (typically more little foodstuffs) :rolleyes:

Deadhead
04-15-2012, 11:49 AM
Noticed an article the other day that declared having all these ebook readers and being able to read on smartphones where no one can see what you are reading (or buying) has led to a big jump in women's erotic literature. Whether that's good or bad would be a whole 'nother can of worms.

This is a true fact. I was over at my parent's house on day and my stepmom left her Kindle Fire laying around. I hadn't had the chance to play with it, so I decided that it wouldn't hurt anything just to check it out. Turns out, she was reading that "Fifty Shades of Grey" book. I figured that's what I get for acting like the Scooby gang and being a meddling kid:apologetic:

bijou
04-16-2012, 03:43 PM
This is a true fact. I was over at my parent's house on day and my stepmom left her Kindle Fire laying around. I hadn't had the chance to play with it, so I decided that it wouldn't hurt anything just to check it out. Turns out, she was reading that "Fifty Shades of Grey" book. I figured that's what I get for acting like the Scooby gang and being a meddling kid:apologetic:
That is more information that you'd want about a parent!

Deadhead
04-16-2012, 03:55 PM
That is more information that you'd want about a parent!

Yea, I was happy not knowing before. It was gross dude....

fettpett
04-16-2012, 07:56 PM
bought a kirby vacuum from my sister in law...damn pos ended up costing me $2000 all told. The kicker? my sisters $68 bissell did a much better job of vacuuming that that POS. As does the $100 Shark one i have now

fettpett
04-16-2012, 08:04 PM

check out literotica.com lot of good stuff there that you might not have thought about before :cool::cool::cool: oh, and the nice thing about the kindle is you can use the browser app to go to sites, then change it so it's in article mode to read :biggrin-new:

no surprise at all...a lot are cheap and or free, and Amazon has created a new market were individuals can get their own stuff e-published and distributed cheaply. lot of it is bad though :/