PDA

View Full Version : Why the other line is likely to move faster

Janice
04-15-2012, 01:07 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5Ri_HhziI0

Hint: It's not really because you're not in it.

Bill reveals how "queueing theory" - developed by engineers to route phone calls - can be used to find the most efficient arrangement of cashiers and check out lines. He reports on the work of Agner Erlang, a Danish engineer who, at the opening of the 20th century, helped the Copenhagen Telephone Company provide the best level of service at the lowest price.

Odysseus
04-15-2012, 02:46 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5Ri_HhziI0

Hint: It's not really because you're not in it.

Bill reveals how "queueing theory" - developed by engineers to route phone calls - can be used to find the most efficient arrangement of cashiers and check out lines. He reports on the work of Agner Erlang, a Danish engineer who, at the opening of the 20th century, helped the Copenhagen Telephone Company provide the best level of service at the lowest price.

That was cool. AAFES uses the single line approach in commissaries, but the individual cashier line approach at PXs. Now that I think about it, I'm almost always in and out of the cashier line at the commissary faster. Now I know why.

Novaheart
04-15-2012, 03:24 PM
Walmart in Pinellas Park uses the single line queue for the express cashiers. Unfortunately, their strategy for regular check outs seems to be to have as few people as possible and always at one end or the other. I have been in a Walmart at 7:30PM on a Friday which had only four cashiers running. I have never seen a real manager working a cash register at peak. It's rare to see the head cashier/CSM open up a register.

Walmart seems to be going even further downhill in many ways. The selection has become unreliable both same store and store to store. They have taken to stocking during prime business hours which means that there are pallets of goods blocking the aisles (fire hazard?). I can never find anyone in grocery except in the Deli, and even there there are people cleaning and stocking rather than waiting on customers. They never have enough cashiers on hand, even if you accept the concept of strategic understaffing you aren't supposed to have lines which stretch from the back cashier across the main concourse (which is loaded with crap now) and into the merchandise aisles.

Rockntractor
04-15-2012, 06:09 PM
Walmart in Pinellas Park uses the single line queue for the express cashiers. Unfortunately, their strategy for regular check outs seems to be to have as few people as possible and always at one end or the other. I have been in a Walmart at 7:30PM on a Friday which had only four cashiers running. I have never seen a real manager working a cash register at peak. It's rare to see the head cashier/CSM open up a register.

Walmart seems to be going even further downhill in many ways. The selection has become unreliable both same store and store to store. They have taken to stocking during prime business hours which means that there are pallets of goods blocking the aisles (fire hazard?). I can never find anyone in grocery except in the Deli, and even there there are people cleaning and stocking rather than waiting on customers. They never have enough cashiers on hand, even if you accept the concept of strategic understaffing you aren't supposed to have lines which stretch from the back cashier across the main concourse (which is loaded with crap now) and into the merchandise aisles.

I like small stores, I go to walmart maybe 3 times a year.

JB
04-15-2012, 06:32 PM
The lines queue up because women always have to paw their way through their bag to find their checkbook, creditcard, etc...

Just have your method of payment ready and no one will have to wait for you. Watch for it next time you're on the line. Every chick holds up the line in same manner. /end sexism

Zeus
04-15-2012, 07:50 PM
The lines queue up because women always have to paw their way through their bag to find their checkbook, creditcard, etc...

Just have your method of payment ready and no one will have to wait for you. Watch for it next time you're on the line. Every chick holds up the line in same manner. /end sexism

I always have my debit card out and handy. As soon as the cashier starts ringing the items up I scan the card through the reader. Once a cashier freaked she said I haven't rung up all your purchases yet & you don't know what the total is. I asked her if there was a magical dollar amount whereas I didn't have to pay for the items. :rolleyes:

Novaheart
04-16-2012, 11:31 AM
As much fun as it is to blame antique check writers, EBT card users, WIC mothers, and dithering old people it's my experience that the vast majority of hold ups are :

• Price checks due to mislabeled or misplace merchandise. I myself have ended up at the counter with $2.49/lb Pink Lady apples that were in the bin marked $1.49 Gala apples. I have ended up at the counter with Quaker Instants Grits because some kid didn't know the difference between that an oatmeal (looks the same in the picture) and wanted to stock the entire case.

• People who don't have any cushion in the budget and who apparently aren't aware that there is a calculator on that new smartphone pressed to their ear. "take away" people. Again, I understand and even admire that if you only have fifty dollars or you only want to spend fifty dollars, but shouldn't you at least try to add up your purchases as you put them in the cart?

• In line shoppers. These are the people who get in line while another member of their party continues to shop. IN my store, it often involves a mother sending one or more children running through the aisles to get one thing at a time. "No baby, I said plain cheerioes, not frosted ones."

• Simply not enough cashiers. Every one in the store who isn't mentally challenged should have a drawer so that during an unexpected peak they can move to a register.