PDA

View Full Version : Reading List Book suggestion.

wannaberocker
04-16-2012, 11:41 AM
I wanted to start a thread about Books. Here we can suggest good books on a diverse range of topics.
So here is how this will work:

1. Suggest a book.
2. Give a brief summary on what the book is about.
3. Give your personal opinion of the book.

Ill start the list.

Currently, I’m reading Basic Economics by Thomas Sowell.
The book is designed to give real world knowledge of economics, to people who are not economics majors. I think it is very well written, easy to read and to the point. It is extensive enough that it discusses all aspects of a modern economy. I give the Book 9 out of 10.

Starbuck
04-16-2012, 11:57 AM
Into Africa: The Epic Adventures of Stanley and Livingston by Martin Dugard

"Dr Livingston, I presume?"
The book is a complete documentary of Dr David Livingston and how he came to be trapped or lost in Africa, and about how a relatively unknown American journalist named Henry Morton Stanley managed to find him. Set against the backdrop of The Civil War in America, the age of great British explorers, the death of Arab slave trade in Africa, and the sheer remoteness of the interior Africa the book paints a picture of exploring at it's finest and most extreme. Geography; politics; morals; dedication; this book tells it all and does so in a really first rate manner.

I loved the book. In fact, I am on my second time through, and am comparing accounts to Stanley's book, "How I Found Dr Livingston".

linda22003
04-16-2012, 12:01 PM
I'm eagerly awaiting the latest volume of Robert Caro's huge biography of Lyndon Johnson, which comes out in a couple of weeks. It was originally intended to be three volumes, but this will be the fourth volume and it only takes us up to the Kennedy assassination.

The three volumes which have come out so far have been well worth the wait. Caro doesn't just tell a life story, he includes so much about what was happening in the world. In the first volume, he tells the life of rural Texas farm women so exhaustively (and exhaustingly), that you really understand how much Johnson's work for rural electrification meant to them. In "Master of the Senate" he spends a lot of time telling you about how the Senate works and what made Johnson such a master manipulator.

It's not a book necessarily for Johnson fans; Caro is very frank about the many things there are NOT to admire about him. It's terrific writing and an epic story.

wannaberocker
04-16-2012, 12:22 PM
Ya guys got any suggestion on good books on Early American History.

Iv just been listening to alot of Ron Paul supporters and all they do is bash America from its founding till now. So i wanted to read some good books on early American history to counter that.

Rockntractor
04-16-2012, 01:08 PM

Iv just been listening to alot of Ron Paul supporters and all they do is bash America from its founding till now. So i wanted to read some good books on early American history to counter that.

I liked this real well and I have a couple of others.
http://www.amazon.com/Patriots-History-United-States-Columbuss/dp/1595230017

Rockntractor
04-16-2012, 01:11 PM

This one is outstanding.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_16?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=the+frontiersman+by+allan+w.+eckert&sprefix=the+frontiersman%2Cstripbooks%2C295

wannaberocker
04-16-2012, 01:52 PM
This one is outstanding.
http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_16?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=the+frontiersman+by+allan+w.+eckert&sprefix=the+frontiersman%2Cstripbooks%2C295

Thanks for the suggestions ill def check them out.

Odysseus
04-16-2012, 02:33 PM
I love the Kindle Ap for BlackBerry, which gets me through many a long meeting, and I'm always reading a couple of books at a time, depending on my mood. My current reading:

Thomas Sowell
Intellectuals and Society

Provides insights into the mindset of persons who make their living by peddling ideas to others who make their living by peddling ideas (i.e., public intellectuals whose sole product is ideology) and their real motivations. The critical argument is that the divergent worldviews between those who espouse intellectual solutions to any and all problems, real or not, and everybody else, is based on whether one sees people as capable of perfection or not. Those who see people as perfectable try to perfect them through intellectual fads, while those who hold a more tragic view, that people are inherently flawed and the best that we can hope for in our institutions is to keep us away from each others' throats, tend to have more modest goals. Every chapter is a revelation, and provides great ammunition for sparring with the left's self-appointed geniuses.

Charles Dickens
Great Expectations

Watching the Masterpiece Classic two-parter last week made me want to pick up the book, and as always, I'm glad that I did. The various movie versions are always very dramatic and ponderous, but the book is a masterpiece of dry wit, as Pip's first person observations of the manners and behavior of the people around him are completely ruthless and funny as hell. Watch the movies and have a good maudlin cry over Miss Havisham's tragedy, Pip's unrequited love and the various other characters' pathos, then read the book and laugh yourself silly.

linda22003
04-16-2012, 03:38 PM
Did I read that correctly, that you read the books ON a BlackBerry? That must take some time. "Call" (new screen) "me" (new screen) "Ishmael" (new screen).....

Deadhead
04-16-2012, 04:38 PM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51lQnG3MX-L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

In a nutshell, it's about the Lord of Winterfell becoming the Hand of the King of Westeros. There is a TON more to it, but that's the basic gist of it without gettinginto the sex, murder, and corruption. I know I can't be the only here that watches the tv show, but the book series is excellent and this is a great first chapter of the Song of Ice and Fire series.

On a sidenote, this is technically considered a "fantasy" book, but don't let that throw you off if you're not into that kind of thing. Yes there is magic and supernatural elements here, but they in the background and are done very subtlely. It's not like Lord of the Rings or Harry Potter(although I do *heart* those book series too)

Odysseus
04-16-2012, 05:30 PM
Did I read that correctly, that you read the books ON a BlackBerry? That must take some time. "Call" (new screen) "me" (new screen) "Ishmael" (new screen).....

http://www.slashphone.com/media/data/796/blackberry-9500.jpg

My BlackBerry has a touch screen. It gives me the same amount of real estate as an I-Phone or Droid. I can usually get past "...it was the worst of times," before the new screen. :biggrin-new:

noonwitch
05-24-2012, 01:41 PM
I'm reading a biography of Juliette Gordon Low, founder of of the Girl Scouts of America. She lived in interesting times-she was born the year the Civil War broke out, in Savannah. Her mother was from Chicago, so she had family serving in both armies.

I can relate to a woman who gave so much to kids, but never had any kids of her own. The book was released this year to coincide with the 100th anniversay of GSA.

I'm a proud former Girl Scout. My mom was one, and my 12 year old niece is a scout.

I was a Blue Bird, first, though, not a Brownie. I switched to GS because there wasn't a CFG troop in my neighborhood.

fettpett
05-24-2012, 08:17 PM
I second the Song of Ice and Fire series, been a fan for a while, can't wait for the next book (though may have to with the way Martin writes)

I just read Of Mice and Men by Steinbeck, good quick read, a lot shorter than I thought it was.

Started reading Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter (http://www.amazon.com/Abraham-Lincoln-Vampire-Seth-Grahame-Smith/dp/1455510173/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1337904773&sr=8-1)
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51E7vbcoDTL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA278_PIkin4,BottomRight,-67,22_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

had it for a while, just now getting around to reading it. Basically the story is that Lincoln had a secret journal and Seth Grahame-Smith is approached to write a manuscript based on those journals. Ensuing story his how Lincoln's life was directed, as was the countries, due to the existence of Vampires

NJCardFan
05-24-2012, 10:47 PM
If anyone brings up 50 Shades of Gray I will seek them out and beat them with a ball bearing filled lead pipe.

Gina
05-24-2012, 11:02 PM
I'm reading Ronald Reagan and Margaret Thatcher: A Political Marriage - by Nicholas Wapshott

It starts with each of their childhoods, what kind of parents they had, what made them who they were. A lot of things we didn't know (unless you read about them quite a bit) There's correspondence between them in it and it's a very easy read.

I recommend it as it's one of those books that you can read in a day or 2, depending on how busy a person you are. They are two of my favorite political figures and I was thrilled to find this book.

NJ: ouch! I didn't hear of that book til last night and have no intention of reading it!

Retread
05-24-2012, 11:23 PM
Read the early reviews on "inheritance" and questioned whether I wanted to pay out the money to complete the 4 book set on my shelf. So... Got it from the library on my kindle and finished it this morning. Then I bought it this afternoon - on sale.

wannaberocker
05-26-2012, 02:00 PM
I'm reading Ronald Reagan and Margaret Thatcher: A Political Marriage - by Nicholas Wapshott

It starts with each of their childhoods, what kind of parents they had, what made them who they were. A lot of things we didn't know (unless you read about them quite a bit) There's correspondence between them in it and it's a very easy read.

I recommend it as it's one of those books that you can read in a day or 2, depending on how busy a person you are. They are two of my favorite political figures and I was thrilled to find this book.

NJ: ouch! I didn't hear of that book til last night and have no intention of reading it!

A Political Marriage sounds like a very intresting book to read.

Hawkgirl
05-26-2012, 05:37 PM
If anyone brings up 50 Shades of Gray I will seek them out and beat them with a ball bearing filled lead pipe.

I casually mentioned the book to my coworker who is serious bookworm. She hadn't hear about it. She picked it up, along with the other two in the series and loves them. I haven't read it yet. BDSM can be exciting to women who never knew about it.:cool:

Articulate_Ape
05-27-2012, 03:33 PM

Ron Paul supporters do not bash America, they bash what America has become; and the story of that transition is a long and complicated one, and probably not one you learned in school. Try reading The Real Lincoln (http://www.amazon.com/The-Real-Lincoln-Abraham-Unnecessary/dp/0761526463/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1338146701&sr=1-1). It winnows the myth from the truth about this American icon. It's a real eye-opener unless you choose cognitive dissonance over historical fact.

It surprised the shit out of me. It and is incredibly relevant and poignant given the current state of our federal government and our nation. I highly recommend it.

Unreconstructed Reb
07-02-2012, 10:21 AM
Lincoln Uber Alles; Dictatorship Comes to America by John Avery Emison
Emison exposes Lincoln for the tyrant that he actually was and suggests that its high time that Americans grow up and confront the reality of our history instead of the childish fairy tales concocted by the court historians of the Church of Lincoln.

Wayne
07-31-2012, 03:33 PM
I'm eagerly awaiting the latest volume of Robert Caro's huge biography of Lyndon Johnson, which comes out in a couple of weeks. It was originally intended to be three volumes, but this will be the fourth volume and it only takes us up to the Kennedy assassination.

The three volumes which have come out so far have been well worth the wait. Caro doesn't just tell a life story, he includes so much about what was happening in the world. In the first volume, he tells the life of rural Texas farm women so exhaustively (and exhaustingly), that you really understand how much Johnson's work for rural electrification meant to them. In "Master of the Senate" he spends a lot of time telling you about how the Senate works and what made Johnson such a master manipulator.

It's not a book necessarily for Johnson fans; Caro is very frank about the many things there are NOT to admire about him. It's terrific writing and an epic story.

I saw Caro on Charlie Rose yesterday. Surfing and saw him . I am very much interested in his last book..