PDA

View Full Version : If people have to take tests for driver's permits then why not issue a quiz before...

Kimberly
09-16-2008, 05:57 PM
Teh stupid is extra strong with this one (http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x4012510)

mtnsnake (1000+ posts) Tue Sep-16-08 12:25 PM
Original message
If people have to take tests for driver's permits then why not issue a quiz before someone can vote?
Advertisements [?]People have the right to vote, regardless of whether they know anything or not, so even if they fail the quiz they could still vote, of course, but at least it would be an eye opener for them.

IMO, if everyone had to take a very basic political quiz before they walked into the voting booth...and find out what the correct answers were...then Democrats probably wouldn't lose another election for decades. Most ignorant people who walk into a voting booth and pull the level for "R" don't even know who or what they're voting for or what those people stand for. They vote "R" because their parents brought them up that way. They don't know the first thing about the issues or the candidates, NOTHING.

My point is that we keep complaining how America elects idiots for Presidents because people in this country are so stupid. I don't think it's so much that people are stupid, but they're just ignorant, at least most of the ones who vote Republican are.

For example, my first 4 questions on the voter's quiz would be:

1) Barack Obama used to be a Muslim. True or False
2) Under Obama's economic plan, he is not going to raise taxes on the middle class. True or False
3) John McCain was a POW in WWII. True or False
4) John McCain and Sarah Palin both agree we should drill in Alaska for oil. True or False

If all voters had to take a basic quiz about current political affairs, then the USA would be soooo much better off for it. At the very least, millions of previously ignorant might learn a few important facts before they could walk into a voting booth again.

*** Just in case....for any lurking freepers, the correct answers are 1)F, 2)T, 3)F, 4)F ***

Bornaginhooligan (1000+ posts) Tue Sep-16-08 12:26 PM
Response to Original message
2. Congratulations, you just failed the intelligence test to vote.
You just demonstrated an appalling lack of knowledge when it comes to history, democracy, and civil rights.

Please take your own advice and refrain from voting.

mtnsnake (1000+ posts) Tue Sep-16-08 12:34 PM
Response to Reply #2
17. You have failed the most basic edition of Reading Comp 101
Issuing a quiz, a quiz that prevents NO ONE from being allowed to vote, no matter how they score, is not demonstrating an appalling lack of knowledge. Tough shit for you if you don't like the idea of educating the voters on the issues. Cry baby.

Bornaginhooligan (1000+ posts) Tue Sep-16-08 12:37 PM
Response to Reply #17
22. Again, thanks for demonstrating another issue with literacy tests.
They only apply to the other uneducated ignoramus, not the uneducated ignoramus issuing the test.

mtnsnake (1000+ posts) Tue Sep-16-08 12:39 PM
Response to Reply #22
23. Nice try. Next time read the entire OP carefully before you make a fool of yourself
AGAIN.

MiniMe (1000+ posts) Tue Sep-16-08 12:27 PM
3. Voting is a right, driving is considered a priviledge

mtnsnake (1000+ posts) Tue Sep-16-08 12:28 PM
Response to Reply #3
6. Exactly, that's why I said people could still vote regardless of a quiz. n/t

MadHound (1000+ posts) Tue Sep-16-08 12:30 PM
10. Two reasons,
First, you can't expect the state to do the job of the campaign. It is up to the campaign to inform voters and refute lies, don't expect the state to. Second, having an intelligence test was tried and declared unconstitutional.

Sorry, but that's a stupid, irrational and unconstitutional idea.

TomInTib (1000+ posts) Tue Sep-16-08 12:36 PM
21. If it was as easy as the CA tests, my dog could vote.
Hell, the State of California gave me a Drivers License without requiring me to take a driving test.

And I had not had a license for the past ten years.

:rolleyes:

riverdeep (1000+ posts) Tue Sep-16-08 03:05 PM
40. It's an interesting thought experiment.
The way it stands right now, someone who religiously reads the papers, scours the internet, goes to both candidates rallies, talks to friends and family about the issues, in short does all the right things someone who takes citizenship seriously is supposed to do, is considered exactly equivalent to someone who glances at Fox news while passing out on the couch the night before the election.

Change Fox News to someone who laps up the crap from DU, kos, huffington and Olberman then I'd almost agree with you.

King Sandbox (937 posts) Tue Sep-16-08 03:05 PM
41. I've known farts in church that went over better.
Edited on Tue Sep-16-08 03:06 PM by King Sandbox
That's not a competency test, that's a push poll.

Troll
09-16-2008, 06:20 PM
If people have to take tests for driver's permits then why not issue a quiz before someone can vote?

Bravo!

People have the right to vote, regardless of whether they know anything or not

That would be where in the Constitution, exactly?

even if they fail the quiz they could still vote

Then what the hell is the point? :confused: Do you want people that fail the driver's test to be allowed to drive just because they got an 'eye opener'? Is that in your 'Constitution' also?

IMO, if everyone had to take a very basic political quiz before they walked into the voting booth...and find out what the correct answers were...then Democrats probably wouldn't lose another election for decades.

And I'm sure that said quiz would be completely impartial to any candidate, right? It would be geared towards finding out if you know anything about the electoral process in this country rather than trying to steer you in a certain direction, right?

They vote "R" because their parents brought them up that way.

Unfortunately, that is a big slice of the Republican voting base. Hence the term "Ma and Pa Republican".

1) Barack Obama used to be a Muslim. True or False

Not "political" at all. Epic fail.

2) Under Obama's economic plan, he is not going to raise taxes on the middle class. True or False

Nothing to do with the electoral process in this country. Epic fail.

3) John McCain was a POW in WWII. True or False

Not "political" at all. Epic fail, and nice way to make people think he wasn't a POW at all, by making this "False".

4) John McCain and Sarah Palin both agree we should drill in Alaska for oil. True or False

Nothing to do with the electoral process in this country. Epic fail.

If all voters had to take a basic quiz about current political affairs, then the USA would be soooo much better off for it. At the very least, millions of previously ignorant might learn a few important facts before they could walk into a voting booth again.

If there was something lower than 'F' to give your 'quiz', you would get the grade below THAT. The only positive to McCain becoming president-elect in November would be the weeping and wailing of people like you.

JB
09-16-2008, 06:49 PM
Let's see...

We have to pay someone to come up with the test questions. We have to pay someone to print the tests. We have to pay someone for those little golf pencils we'll need to take the test. We have to pay someone to transport said tests and pencils all over the country. We have to pay someone to administer the test and we have to pay someone to grade the test. Then, after all that happens, whether you pass or fail you can still vote.

DUmmies sure love spending other peoples money for absolutely nothing.

patriot45
09-16-2008, 06:50 PM
I say DUmpers should have to take a test to vote, even dumb down the questions like, which way does a road go or does ice cream have bones! They would all fail!:D
Do it DU.

Troll
09-16-2008, 06:58 PM
Let's see...

We have to pay someone to come up with the test questions. We have to pay someone to print the tests. We have to pay someone for those little golf pencils we'll need to take the test. We have to pay someone to transport said tests and pencils all over the country. We have to pay someone to administer the test and we have to pay someone to grade the test. Then, after all that happens, whether you pass or fail you can still vote.

DUmmies sure love spending other peoples money for absolutely nothing.

I'd come up with the test questions for free. :D

1. Which of the following is not a branch of government?
(a) Judicial
(b) Lobbyists
(c) Legislative

2. Which of the following is not a house of Congress?
(a) House of Representatives
(b) Senate
(c) White House

3. What is it called when the President returns a bill to Congress unsigned?
(a) Veto
(b) Verdict
(c) Bitchslap

4. How many senators does each state have?
(a) Two
(b) Three
(c) Four

5. What is the highest judicial body in the United States?
(a) The American Idol jury
(b) The Supreme Court
(c) The People's Court

Now, you'd have to bring your own pencil, but we still have to print the tests. I recommend we stop welfare every election cycle for four months to cover the cost of printing and grading the tests. And you can bet that if you miss three of these questions, you won't be voting this time around.

movie buff
09-16-2008, 09:10 PM
Wow, Troll, I'm impressed with what you did in this thread.
First, you tore that DUmmie's post a new one.
Then, you offer a sensible alternative, in the form of quiz questions which are not biased, directly pertain to politics, and can potentially be used again in later elections.

Elspeth
09-16-2008, 09:26 PM
(b) The Supreme Court
(c) The People's Court

Anyone who chooses (a) for this question gets deported.:cool:

FlaGator
09-16-2008, 09:40 PM
Polling volunteer: "Ok Bob, you have to answer one question before you can vote."
Bob: "Shoot"
Polling volunteer: "Ok Bob, what is your name?"
Bob: "That's a trick question isn't it"
Polling volunteer: "Wrong answer Bob. Try again in four years. Next!"

Troll
09-16-2008, 10:24 PM
Wow, Troll, I'm impressed with what you did in this thread.
First, you tore that DUmmie's post a new one.
Then, you offer a sensible alternative, in the form of quiz questions which are not biased, directly pertain to politics, and can potentially be used again in later elections.

I try to refrain from posting too much in B/W, but this thread pissed me off. It's taking what I consider to be a really good idea and just ruining it completely. :mad:

Dan D. Doty
09-16-2008, 11:33 PM
The most shocking thing about MNTSnake's post admitting that the Democrats lost elections :eek:

But he/she/it did manage to insult the sh*t out of the people whom they wanted to vote their way by calling them all stupid.

Moonbats never learn; they still think you can get people to vote your way by threating them like sh*t. :rolleyes:

AmPat
09-17-2008, 05:09 AM
I'm still dazed over the assertion that I'm a Republican because I was raised that way.
1. I never knew my parent's political ideology.
2. I didn't camp out on the right side until a few years after college. I simply voted for what made sense. Liberal ideas were emotion based, feel good programs with no chance of success. Conservatives had pragmatic approaches that were based upon personal reponsibility.
3. I was raised in a home with 3 brothers, all of us within 4 years of each other, and I am the only conservative. Another Liberal thought-bubble just popped.

FlaGator
09-17-2008, 06:48 AM
I'm still dazed over the assertion that I'm a Republican because I was raised that way.
1. I never knew my parent's political ideology.
2. I didn't camp out on the right side until a few years after college. I simply voted for what made sense. Liberal ideas were emotion based, feel good programs with no chance of success. Conservatives had pragmatic approaches that were based upon personal reponsibility.
3. I was raised in a home with 3 brothers, all of us within 4 years of each other, and I am the only conservative. Another Liberal thought-bubble just popped.

I started out as a liberal democrat but became a conservative and switched parties in 1990. It was a conscience decision. I took a good long look at the values and beliefs of both groups and came to the conclusion that somewhere along the way my values became more conservative so I switch to a political party the more closely reflected my point of vie, which all goes to proved that the OP doesn't really have a clue as to what he is talking about.

Gingersnap
09-17-2008, 10:30 AM
(a) Veto
(b) Verdict
(c) Bitchslap

I'm pretty sure that both (a) and (c) are correct here. :D

Rebel Yell
09-17-2008, 10:43 AM
I've always thought a test would be a good idea. It should be something along the lines of which politcal party commonly supports yada yada yada. Let the voter answer the questions R or D, then give them the correect answers. After that they get to vote. At least they've been informed of what they're voting for either way.

AmPat
09-18-2008, 06:26 AM
Good point. Maybe I'll have time to create and submit a proposed test.

GrumpyOldLady
09-19-2008, 09:04 AM
"If people have to take tests for driver's permits then why not issue a quiz before someone can vote"

None of the DUmpers would pass.

Sonnabend
09-19-2008, 09:27 AM
That would be where in the Constitution, exactly?

The Twenty-sixth Amendment (Amendment XXVI) of the United States Constitution, ratified on July 1, 1971, standardized the voting age to 18. It was adopted in response to student activism against the Vietnam War and to partially overrule the Supreme Court's decision in Oregon v. Mitchell.

The Right To Vote (http://www.usconstitution.net/constnot.html)

The Constitution contains many phrases, clauses, and amendments detailing ways people cannot be denied the right to vote. You cannot deny the right to vote because of race or gender. Citizens of Washington DC can vote for President; 18-year-olds can vote; you can vote even if you fail to pay a poll tax. The Constitution also requires that anyone who can vote for the "most numerous branch" of their state legislature can vote for House members and Senate members.

Note that in all of this, though, the Constitution never explicitly ensures the right to vote, as it does the right to speech, for example. It does require that Representatives be chosen and Senators be elected by "the People," and who comprises "the People" has been expanded by the aforementioned amendments several times. Aside from these requirements, though, the qualifications for voters are left to the states. And as long as the qualifications do not conflict with anything in the Constitution, that right can be withheld. For example, in Texas, persons declared mentally incompetent and felons currently in prison or on probation are denied the right to vote. It is interesting to note that though the 26th Amendment requires that 18-year-olds must be able to vote, states can allow persons younger than 18 to vote, if they chose to.

Re right to vote: I submit the following

http://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/constitution.articleii.html#section1

Section 1. The executive power shall be vested in a President of the United States of America. He shall hold his office during the term of four years, and, together with the Vice President, chosen for the same term, be elected, as follows:

Each state shall appoint, in such manner as the Legislature thereof may direct, a number of electors, equal to the whole number of Senators and Representatives to which the State may be entitled in the Congress: but no Senator or Representative, or person holding an office of trust or profit under the United States, shall be appointed an elector.

If they have no right to vote, they have no franchise, hence they cannot, as this section states, "appoint" anyone. The right to vote is implied in this sentence. In much the same manner, if none have a right to vote, a President cannot be elected.

I submit that the right to vote remains an integral part of the Constitution, being as it does a critical part of the process. In much the same manner as freedom of speech and assembly are rights, the intent of the Founders was clear in this regard.

jinxmchue
09-19-2008, 01:54 PM
MiniMe (1000+ posts) Tue Sep-16-08 12:27 PM
3. Voting is a right, driving is considered a priviledge

Well, the spelling is classic DU, but the message is far, far too conservative in nature. MiniMe obviously hasn't gotten the memo that liberals consider driving to be a basic human right.

jinxmchue
09-19-2008, 01:59 PM
I'd come up with the test questions for free. :D

1. Which of the following is not a branch of government?
(a) Judicial
(b) Lobbyists
(c) Legislative

2. Which of the following is not a house of Congress?
(a) House of Representatives
(b) Senate
(c) White House

(a) Veto
(b) Verdict
(c) Bitchslap

4. How many senators does each state have?
(a) Two
(b) Three
(c) Four

(b) The Supreme Court
(c) The People's Court

Now, you'd have to bring your own pencil, but we still have to print the tests. I recommend we stop welfare every election cycle for four months to cover the cost of printing and grading the tests. And you can bet that if you miss three of these questions, you won't be voting this time around.

Here's one to ensure no DUmp monkey is allowed to vote ever again:

If a Republican president and vice president are impeached and removed from office, who takes the president's place?
(a) the Secretary of State
(b) the Speaker of the House
(c) the Democrat candidate who lost the election because it was stolen by the Republicans

Teetop
09-19-2008, 03:02 PM
A better one would be, make people show a valid ID. :rolleyes: