PDA

View Full Version : HOA's

SarasotaRepub
04-16-2012, 09:38 PM
As if the dumbasses calling about the security systems weren't bad enough, we had our monthly HOA meeting tonight.

JHC!!! I almost turned around and strangled a neighbor with my bare hands tonight!!! We live in a Deed Restricted Comm and I like it here as the rules are pretty loose compared to many.

This dipshit doesn't want any rules. Then WTF did you buy in here for you retarded moron???

We are trying to update the Restrictions and this brain dead asshole has told everyone he won't vote for anything. Honestly, if I could Force Choke people...:vader:

Why idiots like this buy a house in a DRC is beyond me. Go out east of the interstate and buy 10 acres so you can have your shit house and falling down fence with 5 pickups in the driveway.

And not that there is anything wrong with that, just don't buy in our community and then try and turn it into Green Fucking Acres...

Rockntractor
04-16-2012, 09:42 PM
This is a job for Artie Ape and duct tape!

SaintLouieWoman
04-16-2012, 10:12 PM
It's a job for a very eeevil board member (trained by the eeeeeeeeevilest of admins/Vader types) to get the old fart into shape. His house is falling down and in great disrepair. He's not a poor person, just a rebellious old guy who loves to stir the pot.

Hmmm, he's had a couple of letters asking him to comply with the basics, like replace some of the wood trim that's about to fall from his house and to paint the bare wood. It doesn't matter if a house is on acreage and won't bother anyone, but the way real estate values have been going in Florida, it's driving down the value of everyone's home.

I feel very bad for some of the people here who have fallen on hard times and got caught in the ridiculous Florida market. The home prices had escalated so rapidly and people grossly overpaid and are underwater now. But this old guy isn't one of them. He's just hurting some of the people who have to sell, whether regular or short sale.

Some folks have asked me to run for a 2nd 2 year term. Never will that happen. I can't wait til October to get out of this thing.

Starbuck
04-16-2012, 10:17 PM
I consulted an attorney before accepting the post of president of our HOA in Texas. When I took the job I knew the limits of HOA authority and exercised those limits. In some states (Texas) the HOA has real teeth; in those states it doesn't matter what some nit wit wants. He gets exactly what he bought. Nothing less.

SarasotaRepub
04-16-2012, 10:18 PM
Some folks have asked me to run for a 2nd 2 year term. Never will that happen. I can't wait til October to get out of this thing.

I'm going to do it SLW doesn't want to. :biggrin-new:

SaintLouieWoman
04-16-2012, 10:22 PM
I consulted an attorney before accepting the post of president of our HOA in Texas. When I took the job I knew the limits of HOA authority and exercised those limits. In some states (Texas) the HOA has real teeth; in those states it doesn't matter what some nit wit wants. He gets exactly what he bought. Nothing less.
I was treasurer last year and secretary this year. The first thing I did was to be certain that the HOA carried adequate insurance to protect the volunteers.

We had a grand and glorious tradition in our HOA. When we moved here there were 2 warring factions, to the point of needing a sheriff's deputy at our meetings. The attorney attended each meeting. They ran up a huge legal bill. The old guy mentioned in the first post was one of the leaders against the "establishment'. They ran up a huge legal bill on us, then tabled our proposed deed restriction changes. They did some really dirty things. They got me so mad I stupidly agreed to run for the board in able to block some of the dissidents. I sadly have a hard time being patient with the nonsense, need to work on that.

Rockntractor
04-16-2012, 10:30 PM
I was treasurer last year and secretary this year. The first thing I did was to be certain that the HOA carried adequate insurance to protect the volunteers.

We had a grand and glorious tradition in our HOA. When we moved here there were 2 warring factions, to the point of needing a sheriff's deputy at our meetings. The attorney attended each meeting. They ran up a huge legal bill. The old guy mentioned in the first post was one of the leaders against the "establishment'. They ran up a huge legal bill on us, then tabled our proposed deed restriction changes. They did some really dirty things. They got me so mad I stupidly agreed to run for the board in able to block some of the dissidents. I sadly have a hard time being patient with the nonsense, need to work on that.

Can you make any money through graft or corruption?http://planetsmilies.net/confused-smiley-17418.gif (http://planetsmilies.net)

Adam Wood
04-16-2012, 11:57 PM

http://i41.tinypic.com/2u3ulhx.jpg

Articulate_Ape
04-17-2012, 12:01 AM
I would literally rather die than live in any community that has a HOA.

Rockntractor
04-17-2012, 12:05 AM

Hey I'm trying to get you some business here!
http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/Cereal_Killer_II_by_tarantulove.jpg

Articulate_Ape
04-17-2012, 12:07 AM
Hey I'm trying to get you some business here!
http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/Cereal_Killer_II_by_tarantulove.jpg

No need. Business is booming.

JoeKwonDo
04-17-2012, 12:08 AM
I'm going to do it SLW doesn't want to. :biggrin-new:

Wow, I've sat through a couple out east (LWR) and wanted to kill my self, being on the board has to be tough...

Zeus
04-17-2012, 12:45 AM

You need to brush up on your State laws and your HOA restrictive covenants. Some RC can be overcome by simple majority while others may require a super majority. Also some may be overcome by proven non enforcement over time.

SarasotaRepub
04-17-2012, 10:13 AM
Wow, I've sat through a couple out east (LWR) and wanted to kill my self, being on the board has to be tough...

Dear God!!! LWR!!!! We don't even live there and I've heard horror stories!!!! :friendly_wink:

I was looking to buy there waaaaaaaaay back but didn't like the snooty attitude of the sales staff plus the fact they couldn't/wouldn't tell me what the HOA fee would be. This is over 10 years ago.

Our board needs an IRON FIST to lead it as people have been getting away with too much crap. People can smell weakness and they will take advantage of you every damn time.

RobJohnson
04-17-2012, 06:23 PM

Same here.

We have county ordinances that cover any neighbors that would become unsafe. But it's not really an issue where I bought my house.

When it comes to some HOAs I hate the letters and knock on the doors from or due to a busy body with too much time on their hands.

The last HOA I dealt with I had a neighbor get in trouble for having her swimming pool towel hanging outside to dry, as she used it twice a day. It was considered a "clothes line." What a load of crap, they wasted so much time talking about it month after month, real issues were not talked about. It was simply draped on her front door rail. There was no "line" of clothes drying. I learned pretty quickly that most old people suck in these enviroments. :love_heart: They pick on the little old ladies, but the guy with the three barking dogs with a big mouth they leave alone.....to "keep him quiet" total BS in my book.

SaintLouieWoman
04-17-2012, 11:25 PM
Same here.

We have county ordinances that cover any neighbors that would become unsafe. But it's not really an issue where I bought my house.

When it comes to some HOAs I hate the letters and knock on the doors from or due to a busy body with too much time on their hands.

The last HOA I dealt with I had a neighbor get in trouble for having her swimming pool towel hanging outside to dry, as she used it twice a day. It was considered a "clothes line." What a load of crap, they wasted so much time talking about it month after month, real issues were not talked about. It was simply draped on her front door rail. There was no "line" of clothes drying. I learned pretty quickly that most old people suck in these enviroments. :love_heart: They pick on the little old ladies, but the guy with the three barking dogs with a big mouth they leave alone.....to "keep him quiet" total BS in my book.

You wouldn't believe the nonsense some of the neighborhood snitches complain about. The latest was a ladder set against the house (on its side, not sticking up) on the side of the house behind a bush. They said that there wasn't enough of an attempt to hide it.

Then there's the "a couple bags of mulch" are left at the side of the house.

But one woman had 5 different styles fencing, painted different colors, some properly installed, others just lying against the wall. She had big panes of glass, some broken, in her yard, an old toilet, much debris, lots of weeds. She refused to fix the stuff til she got the letter from the attorney saying she would be fined $100 a day til she made some progress in getting it fixed. Funny thing, she suddenly fixed it after about 3 years of thumbing her nose at the HOA.

Rob, you have to understand Florida. It's weird here, with million dollar homes next to trailer parks or middle of the road houses like ours. The places w/o HOA associations generally look like crap and the value of the property goes way, way down. Personally, I don't really care what they do here, but I care when they start making their places looking like a dump. Whenever we decide to sell, we want to not lose any more than we have to.

Starbuck
04-17-2012, 11:34 PM
........Our board needs an IRON FIST to lead it as people have been getting away with too much crap.............
That's the way I did it and it payed off for everyone. The developer's son put up a TV antenna (not allowed) and I made him take it down. Developer put up "For Sale" signs (not allowed) and I went around at night, rounded them up and hid them.
People didn't want to pay their HOA fees, so I published a full list of who has and who hasn't. That worked.

OK, I was a fascist dictator. But I was continuously re-elected until we left. Dunno what happened after that......:lemo:

noonwitch
04-18-2012, 08:46 AM
Couldn't you just tell him how you are disappointed in his lack of vision and used the force to choke him?

SarasotaRepub
04-18-2012, 09:13 AM
Couldn't you just tell him how you are disappointed in his lack of vision and used the force to choke him?

:evil-grin:

I think SLW would get upset...:blue::biggrin-new:

Artois
04-18-2012, 04:15 PM

I really am not fond of them, but they do have their uses. Not every state has planning and zoning systems or legal statues to enforce decency in some areas, for good or ill. Nor do all areas have, such clear distinctions in social-economic areas of living as others.

JoeKwonDo
04-18-2012, 11:37 PM
Dear God!!! LWR!!!! We don't even live there and I've heard horror stories!!!! :friendly_wink:

I was looking to buy there waaaaaaaaay back but didn't like the snooty attitude of the sales staff plus the fact they couldn't/wouldn't tell me what the HOA fee would be. This is over 10 years ago.

Our board needs an IRON FIST to lead it as people have been getting away with too much crap. People can smell weakness and they will take advantage of you every damn time.

Well I'm sales out there now and much better informed and nicer! :smile-new:

Artois
04-19-2012, 08:58 AM

While moving I was a bit shocked to realize that not every state, for good or ill, has planning and zoning systems in place to prevent neighborhoods from becoming disheveled messes. Nor the ordinances in place, again for good or ill, to prevent unseemly homes and lawns falling into disarray. In the absence of all that... a reasonable home owners association can be a good thing.

FWIW though, if I can help it, I don't ever want to buy a home in one. They do have an overwhelming tendency to get absolutely out of hand.

SaintLouieWoman
04-19-2012, 12:25 PM
While moving I was a bit shocked to realize that not every state, for good or ill, has planning and zoning systems in place to prevent neighborhoods from becoming disheveled messes. Nor the ordinances in place, again for good or ill, to prevent unseemly homes and lawns falling into disarray. In the absence of all that... a reasonable home owners association can be a good thing.

FWIW though, if I can help it, I don't ever want to buy a home in one. They do have an overwhelming tendency to get absolutely out of hand.
I don't particularly like them either, but in my opinion they're a necessity in Florida, at least in this part of the state. The local government does nothing. They argue and do stupid things, but they do nothing to protect the local citizens. Zoning seems to be nonexistent here. Police protection isn't much better. I think they emphasize the citizen's patrol, so residents can do their own policing.

There's a little contingent of hobos/homeless/grifters within close range of our development. They hang out in the woods and have campfires, not good when we're in a drought cycle. The cops at first denied they were there, then said that they make good "informers" and let the cops know what's going on. Gee, what is wrong with this picture?

Gotta go as have to help organize our Neighborhood Watch Program. It was supposed to be a Citizen's Patrol, but after Treyvon Martin, we lost all our volunteers.

In the meantime someone stole a 51 in flatscreen from a house about a block away. The resident had it on the screened lanai. I'm not that trusting to do that (or stupid depending on the way you look at it). :biggrin-new:

SarasotaRepub
04-19-2012, 01:58 PM
Well I'm sales out there now and much better informed and nicer! :smile-new:

LOL!! Well if we're ever in the market...

But honestly I think there is more a chance we stay put or go south to the Ft.Myers area.

Artois
04-19-2012, 02:26 PM
I don't particularly like them either, but in my opinion they're a necessity in Florida, at least in this part of the state.

I understand, and am in complete agreement. In some areas, neighborhoods need them to provide some protection for your property and simply put... human decency.