PDA

View Full Version : Funeral for the space program.

Rockntractor
04-19-2012, 11:12 AM
On fox now.

Rockntractor
04-19-2012, 11:21 AM
Will post video when available, they were streaming it.
http://video.foxnews.com/video-live-streaming.html?video_id=1155606214001

Retread
04-19-2012, 04:37 PM
Will post video when available, they were streaming it.
http://video.foxnews.com/video-live-streaming.html?video_id=1155606214001

Link no longer valid.

Bailey
04-19-2012, 05:19 PM
I'll never forgive Obama for not funding a replacement for the Space Shuttle. How the hell can the Chinese go into space and we cant?

Rockntractor
04-19-2012, 05:27 PM
Link no longer valid.

NASA no longer valid.

ConservativeCarl
04-19-2012, 06:27 PM
is there any harm in letting space exploration be done privately?

Rockntractor
04-19-2012, 06:37 PM
is there any harm in letting space exploration be done privately?

Was it ever prevented?

Retread
04-19-2012, 08:13 PM
NASA no longer valid.

NASA no longer viable

Rockntractor
04-19-2012, 08:18 PM
NASA no longer viable

We sure had to give up a lot for this historical president, our economy, our homes, our jobs,our space program, our national pride, our energy.
I'm tired of hope and change!

DumbAss Tanker
04-19-2012, 08:21 PM
NASA no longer valid.

Yes, when 'Manned space flight' was replaced by 'Teaching about Islamic scientific achievements' as a key goal, it was screwed. Perhaps after Obama is gone we can get someone with an actual vision to take it and then actually fund him or her.

Artois
04-19-2012, 08:38 PM
It's a sad day for America and the pursuit of science for the entire world. :apologetic:

FeebMaster
04-19-2012, 10:19 PM
Was it ever prevented?

Outright? No. But you could make the argument that funding it primarily with government spending made the view that space was the realm of governments and discouraged private investment. How many people over the last few decades have sat around waiting for the government to go to Mars and done absolutely nothing about it themselves? If making and distributing electricity or cars was done solely by the government today, how many people would invest in doing it privately? You'd see arguments left and right that the capital costs and risks are too high for any private company to make the attempt to do it.

Personally, I prefer to see this as the dawning of a new era of space flight. When private enterprise got serious about exploiting space for profit and in the long term.

In somewhat related news, Spacex is planning to launch their capsule to the ISS on 4/30.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7eMODqLBrQ

Rockntractor
04-19-2012, 10:22 PM
Outright? No. But you could make the argument that funding it primarily with government spending made the view that space was the realm of governments and discouraged private investment. How many people over the last few decades have sat around waiting for the government to go to Mars and done absolutely nothing about it themselves? If making and distributing electricity or cars was done solely by the government today, how many people would invest in doing it privately? You'd see arguments left and right that the capital costs and risks are too high for any private company to make the attempt to do it.

Personally, I prefer to see this as the dawning of a new era of space flight. When private enterprise got serious about exploiting space for profit and in the long term.

In somewhat related news, Spacex is planning to launch their capsule to the ISS on 4/30.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S7eMODqLBrQ

Governments going back thousands of years have funded exploration.

FeebMaster
04-19-2012, 10:32 PM
Governments going back thousands of years have funded exploration.

Governments going back thousands of years have funded lots of things.

Rockntractor
04-19-2012, 10:37 PM
Governments going back thousands of years have funded lots of things.

This was one of the few things that actually gave us true benefit.
that is why they are killing it.

FeebMaster
04-19-2012, 11:21 PM
This was one of the few things that actually gave us true benefit.
that is why they are killing it.

If that's true, they may one day wake up and realize that their attempt to kill it accomplished the opposite. Hopefully that doesn't happen until it's too late to do anything about it.

Retread
04-19-2012, 11:22 PM
One question: without the initial encouragement of RFK et al and left to private practice, would any of it been done?

Highly doubtful.

Rockntractor
04-19-2012, 11:42 PM
The military aspect is why Obama shut down the space program, we are to be put on a more equal footing with the rest of the world.
I can't imagine what would have happened had we not pursued the rocket and missile technology and had allowed the soviets the distinction of being the only ones that could launch an intercontinental ballistic missile.
Kennedy saw the importance, so does Obama.

Zeus
04-20-2012, 01:42 AM
The military aspect is why Obama shut down the space program, we are to be put on a more equal footing with the rest of the world.
I can't imagine what would have happened had we not pursued the rocket and missile technology and had allowed the soviets the distinction of being the only ones that could launch an intercontinental ballistic missile.
Kennedy saw the importance, so does Obama.

Obama needs every available tax and deficit dollar for Obamacare.

m00
04-20-2012, 01:59 AM
Was it ever prevented?

Well, I tend to think if I tried to build a lift-capable rocket in my backyard the feds would come a-knocking. So obviously, there are permits and red-tape involved. I have no idea to what degree though.