PDA

View Full Version : Dem Senator Doesn’t Know If He Will Vote For Obama

Rockntractor
04-20-2012, 07:48 PM
WASHINGTON (AP) — Democratic Sen. Joe Manchin says he’s unsure whether he’ll vote for his party’s leader, President Barack Obama, or the likely Republican nominee Mitt Romney.
Read More>http://washington.cbslocal.com/2012/04/20/dem-senator-doesnt-know-if-he-will-vote-for-obama/
Be smart, switch parties.

Lanie
04-21-2012, 07:04 AM
WASHINGTON (AP) — Democratic Sen. Joe Manchin says he’s unsure whether he’ll vote for his party’s leader, President Barack Obama, or the likely Republican nominee Mitt Romney.
Read More>http://washington.cbslocal.com/2012/04/20/dem-senator-doesnt-know-if-he-will-vote-for-obama/
Be smart, switch parties.

Not necessarily a smart idea. He'll probably be declared a "RINO" for the other differences.

A lot of more conservative leaning Democrats have a problem with Obama. They want a safety net for the poor, not necessarily universal healthcare (which that isn't what we'll get, but that's how it's presented). They might support the birth control policy, but not necessarily abortion on demand. Lots of anti-gay Democrats out there.

And in my case, I'm still very very disturbed that Biden is saying that the Taliban is not necessarily our enemy. It pisses me off that we went to Afghanistan to overthrow them just for the current leaders to possibly work with them. I don't think we necessarily should have left Iraq knowing what would happen to them. I'm a believer in the idea that we should have made sure stability could be maintained after we came in there.I also think Obama hasn't been supportive enough of Israel. He's got a few more months to convince me that I'm wrong about him. After that, I'm thinking I *can't* vote for him again. If Santorum had won the ticket, I might not have voted for anybody. There comes a point where one thinks it's wrong to vote. Romney, I might be able to bring myself to vote for. I'm not telling my family though because they're Democrat and think the Republicans will destroy us all. How many times do I have to tell people that the world won't end if our guy doesn't win?

Oh, and I also don't like how he put healthcare reform before the economy. You need a job to purchase healthcare. At the same time, I have a friend with MS. She can't get any help because she's disabled and can't work. She can't get on disability because she wasn't able to work the past five years between her own problems and taking care of her family. Not sure why she's had trouble getting SSI. She finally found a lawyer willing to take her case, but meanwhile she can't get any assistance. She doesn't qualify for Medicaid and she can't get assistance from charities because they insist on not qualifying for Medicaid (which won't be official while she is trying to get Disability). Between her and some other cases, I'm sort of thinking Obama's healthcare plan might be the best idea. The current plan is crap. I'm hoping Romney might have been serious about fixing the gap in the "safety net" but I bet he isn't.

We're screwed.

txradioguy
04-21-2012, 09:13 AM
We're screwed.

Only if Obama gets elected again.

ConservativeCarl
04-21-2012, 11:33 AM
Thanks for sharing. I had not heard about this yet. Pretty shocking. Maybe some other moderate blue collar democrats will follow his lead?

Starbuck
04-21-2012, 11:44 AM
Thanks for sharing. I had not heard about this yet. Pretty shocking. Maybe some other moderate blue collar democrats will follow his lead?
Quietly, maybe. I can see how a legislator or two would wisely keep mum on the subject and vote for Mitt without telling anyone. In some areas a public shift from the party will mean losing your job.

Odysseus
04-21-2012, 04:50 PM
When Manchin ran in the special election to replace Byrd, he ran as a conservative Democrat, to the right of the Republican. He deliberately tried to distance himself from Obama, but he's been a reliable Democratic vote for Harry Reid whenever he was needed. Now, his record is coming back to bite him, so he's distancing himself again. The Republican challenger just has to highlight all of the Obama/Reid measures that Manchin has supported while emphasizing that this change of heart is highly convenient.