PDA

View Full Version : Airport Security isn't for the faint of heart...anymore

Hawkgirl
04-21-2012, 07:10 PM
I'm both glad and stressed about international flights. I left Jamaica yesterday at 7am and did not get home till 5:30pm. Montego Bay to Miami is a 1 hour, 10 minute flight.:livid:

We went through 4 checkpoints in Customs. Waited on long lines, had to show passports 4 different times, asked about my whereabouts 4 times, only got groped once(and it wasn't bad) and walked for miles at the airport.

I haven't flown international in a long time, and while I'm glad it's as vigorous as it is...I'm going back to Cruising.:cool:

SarasotaRepub
04-21-2012, 07:27 PM
I'm both glad and stressed about international flights. I left Jamaica yesterday at 7am and did not get home till 5:30pm. Montego Bay to Miami is a 1 hour, 10 minute flight.:livid:

We went through 4 checkpoints in Customs. Waited on long lines, had to show passports 4 different times, asked about my whereabouts 4 times, only got groped once(and it wasn't bad) and walked for miles at the airport.

I haven't flowing international in a long time, and while I'm glad it's as vigorous as it is...I'm going back to Cruising.:cool:

Glad you made it back ok! How was the resort and the trip???

Articulate_Ape
04-21-2012, 07:37 PM
...while I'm glad it's as vigorous as it is...

Are you? How often liberty has gladly died.

SarasotaRepub
04-21-2012, 08:01 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y037-mNWHMQ&feature=player_detailpage

MUAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Sorry, off topic but I couldn't resist!!! :emperor:

Zeus
04-21-2012, 08:17 PM

You don't think In bounds from a foreign country should have to show passports ?

Hawkgirl
04-21-2012, 11:59 PM
You don't think In bounds from a foreign country should have to show passports ?

After the third time, it kind of gets on your nerves.

Hawkgirl
04-22-2012, 12:00 AM
Glad you made it back ok! How was the resort and the trip???

It was great, we had lots of fun, especially my daughter. I had a great view of the ocean and we had great weather. No complaints about the trip itself.

Hawkgirl
04-22-2012, 12:03 AM

I suppose the repeated checks are to prevent the swiss cheese effect..If Number 1, 2 and 3 miss something, maybe number 4 won't. 9/11 changed everything. It just makes traveling a hassle.

With a cruise, you show all your credentials at port once and you're good for the entire trip and any excursions only require your room card.

Rockntractor
04-22-2012, 12:03 AM
It was great, we had lots of fun, especially my daughter. I had a great view of the ocean and we had great weather. No complaints about the trip itself.

Good to have you back!http://www.smiley-lol.com/smiley/heureux/vil-souriant.gif

RobJohnson
04-22-2012, 04:30 AM
Sounds like a fun trip.

After my last mini vacation to CA and the great weather and beaches I doubt I would spend my money outside of the United States. It was a perfect trip with lots to see and do.

Very easy trip....

Hawkgirl
04-22-2012, 10:12 AM
Good to have you back!http://www.smiley-lol.com/smiley/heureux/vil-souriant.gif
Thanks Rock

Odysseus
04-22-2012, 11:58 AM
I suppose the repeated checks are to prevent the swiss cheese effect..If Number 1, 2 and 3 miss something, maybe number 4 won't. 9/11 changed everything. It just makes traveling a hassle.

With a cruise, you show all your credentials at port once and you're good for the entire trip and any excursions only require your room card.

The protocols are counterproductive. You aren't a threat, and after the first checkpoint, that should have been established by the fact that you are a mother travelling with a child, a US citizen and not smuggling any contraband. That's what customs checks are for. The time and resources spent making you miserable are misdirected, while the real threat receives less scrutiny.

Here's the real problem, and it goes deeper than counter terrorism or security. The people who refuse to allow photo ID checks for voting are the same people who demand everything short of a full on colonoscopy before you can get on a plane. Why? Because Progressives hate our mobile society. They hate the fact that people can hop on a plane and follow the jobs, or leave oppressive regulations. They hate freedom, and airline travel was one of the greatest symbols of American freedom. Now, it's a symbol of hassle, repression and grief.

Glad to hear it. Mrs. O is talking about doing a cruise next year. If you have any to recommend, I'm all ears.

Rockntractor
04-22-2012, 12:00 PM
The protocols are counterproductive. You aren't a threat, and after the first checkpoint, that should have been established by the fact that you are a mother travelling with a child, a US citizen and not smuggling any contraband. That's what customs checks are for. The time and resources spent making you miserable are misdirected, while the real threat receives less scrutiny.

Here's the real problem, and it goes deeper than counter terrorism or security. The people who refuse to allow photo ID checks for voting are the same people who demand everything short of a full on colonoscopy before you can get on a plane. Why? Because Progressives hate our mobile society. They hate the fact that people can hop on a plane and follow the jobs, or leave oppressive regulations. They hate freedom, and airline travel was one of the greatest symbols of American freedom. Now, it's a symbol of hassle, repression and grief.

Glad to hear it. Mrs. O is talking about doing a cruise next year. If you have any to recommend, I'm all ears.

We have some nice cruises on Fort Gibson lake and you could stop and see the old fort too!

NJCardFan
04-22-2012, 12:36 PM

This is the reason why my last few vacations were to places we can drive to. This year we're going to Ocean City Maryland.

Zeus
04-22-2012, 01:51 PM

I've talked with several couples that went on an Alaskan cruise and they all thoroughly enjoyed the trip.

I dunno about a cruise. I've been to the Vatican , All Saints' Church, Wittenberg Germany. Would someday like a trip to the middle East primarily Israel , Turkey , Egypt and possibly Iraq.

It's Ironic that the "Cradle of Civilization" is currently the most uncivilized spot on earth.

Hawkgirl
04-22-2012, 07:30 PM

There are many cruise companies out there, I've traveled on Carnival and Royal Caribbean. I prefer Carnival, they give you more for less, they are less "stuffy" and more "fun" oriented. The food and drinks are awesome, their shows are good. I'm only 2 or 3 cruises short of their VIP list where I will get free upgrades and welcome aboard gifts every time I cruise, along with VIP check in/out. Do not get an inside cabin, it will disorient you because you will not know if it's day or night. Spring for a balcony if you can, but I usually do ocean-view as I really don't spend too much time in my room, but I must have a window. Also, try to go for a newer boat. It's not a big deal as the older boats are refurbished, but nothing like cruising on a brand spankin' new ship.

Eastern Caribbean cruises are nicer than Western, but Western Caribbean is cheaper. If you can find a cruise that stops at Grand Turk, take it.....They have a great Margaritaville right off the port, no need to pay for excursions as the island is very small and everything is right at Port.

My experience is only on Caribbean cruises. I do intend on doing a European and Alaskan cruise when my midget is older. As well as a Western Mexico cruise to Cabo.

Hawkgirl
04-22-2012, 07:37 PM

Everyone got the same treatment...a few did have to follow the "red dots" and got their bags checked...but most of us were treated like cattle, moving from one checkpoint to the other..lol

Domestic flights are easier, but still a hassle. I'm surprised airlines are still in business. Unless I absolutely must travel, I will not. I do go to NY annually to visit family and it hasn't been too bad as I fly into a small airport in Westchester County...but I will probably go less. Traveling outside of the US is just not worth the hassle. Which means the US will be the benificiary of my disposable income..including Carnival, which is a US company. I'm ok with that. There are plenty of places in the US I can visit....like Hawaii :cool:

SaintLouieWoman
04-22-2012, 07:39 PM
There are many cruise companies out there, I've traveled on Carnival and Royal Caribbean. I prefer Carnival, they give you more for less, they are less "stuffy" and more "fun" oriented. The food and drinks are awesome, their shows are good. I'm only 2 or 3 cruises short of their VIP list where I will get free upgrades and welcome aboard gifts every time I cruise, along with VIP check in/out. Do not get an inside cabin, it will disorient you because you will not know if it's day or night. Spring for a balcony if you can, but I usually do ocean-view as I really don't spend too much time in my room, but I must have a window. Also, try to go for a newer boat. It's not a big deal as the older boats are refurbished, but nothing like cruising on a brand spankin' new ship.

Eastern Caribbean cruises are nicer than Western, but Western Caribbean is cheaper. If you can find a cruise that stops at Grand Turk, take it.....They have a great Margaritaville right off the port, no need to pay for excursions as the island is very small and everything is right at Port.

My experience is only on Caribbean cruises. I do intend on doing a European and Alaskan cruise when my midget is older. As well as a Western Mexico cruise to Cabo.
Glad you had a good time. Were you able to go outside the resort? A couple of years ago my ex-company had an awards trip to Jamaica. I heard they stayed within the confines of the resort and had guards with machine guns around the perimeter. I'm not sure if they were kidding me, trying to make me feel better as I just missed winning the trip, or telling me the truth.

I've cruised on Norwegian, Royal Caribbean and some God awful thing called the Seawind (or Seaweed Crown as we called it after being stuck on it for a week). These were all sales award trips so I had no say in where we went, but that horrible old ship had the best itinerary in the Easter Carib. That ship wasn't big on stabilizers or decent food. The others were much nicer, but insisted on guys wearing a tux. That wasn't my idea of a vacation, too stuffy.

Just glad you got back safely.

Hawkgirl
04-22-2012, 07:42 PM
View from my balcony
http://i41.tinypic.com/2mgwjk0.jpg

the Midget
http://i42.tinypic.com/id9ekl.jpg

Hawkgirl
04-22-2012, 07:46 PM
Glad you had a good time. Were you able to go outside the resort? A couple of years ago my ex-company had an awards trip to Jamaica. I heard they stayed within the confines of the resort and had guards with machine guns .

I stayed within the confines of the resort except one day I walked to the Craft Market which was a few minutes walking distance from the hotel, and what a mistake that was. They hound you to buy things and you have to barter with them. I felt bad for them and I bought some souvenirs, but got out of there quick. It was sad walking through town. Bars on the windows and stray dogs everywhere. The dogs looked well fed though, so there must be getting good scraps somewhere.

SaintLouieWoman
04-22-2012, 07:53 PM
I stayed within the confines of the resort except one day I walked to the Craft Market which was a few minutes walking distance from the hotel, and what a mistake that was. They hound you to buy things and you have to barter with them. I felt bad for them and I bought some souvenirs, but got out of there quick. It was sad walking through town. Bars on the windows and stray dogs everywhere. The dogs looked well fed though, so there must be getting good scraps somewhere.

That's what I remember most about the Carib---those endless beggars. On one trip I swore they called to the next stop on the little ship-sponsored tour to say there was a sucker coming. I got more junky bead necklaces because they wouldn't leave me alone. Same thing happened to me in Africa. That's why I like Hawaii.

The pics you posted are gorgeous.

RobJohnson
04-22-2012, 09:28 PM
This is the reason why my last few vacations were to places we can drive to. This year we're going to Ocean City Maryland.

Sounds nice!

RobJohnson
04-22-2012, 09:33 PM

A cruise sounds fun and I might take one some day. Living in Illinois I did not live as close to a major airport so the deals are better here. I doubt I would want to take a cruise alone so I would have to find the right person to take one with. That is the difficult part. The money and time off work is easy. :cool:

RobJohnson
04-22-2012, 09:40 PM
That's what I remember most about the Carib---those endless beggars. On one trip I swore they called to the next stop on the little ship-sponsored tour to say there was a sucker coming. I got more junky bead necklaces because they wouldn't leave me alone. Same thing happened to me in Africa. That's why I like Hawaii.

The pics you posted are gorgeous.

I try not to make eye contact with the beggars. Which is hard when they are at every angle!

My parents walked into Mexico once (leaving the RV in Arizona) and they were hit hard with people selling them stuff...but they did end up getting a good deal on some gold jewlery. (Yes, it was real) But the guys trying to serenade them as they ate some fantastic mexican food really butchered some Elvis songs..:love_heart: This was pre-passport days and my dad knew where to go for medication, etc and saved quite a bit of money. He even had a spare pair of glasses made.

RobJohnson
04-22-2012, 09:43 PM
, only got groped once(and it wasn't bad)

Is this good or bad news? :an:

SaintLouieWoman
04-22-2012, 09:44 PM
I try not to make eye contact with the beggars. Which is hard when they are at every angle!

My parents walked into Mexico once (leaving the RV in Arizona) and they were hit hard with people selling them stuff...but they did end up getting a good deal on some gold jewlery. (Yes, it was real) But the guys trying to serenade them as they ate some fantastic mexican food really butchered some Elvis songs..:love_heart: This was pre-passport days and my dad knew where to go for medication, etc and saved quite a bit of money. He even had a spare pair of glasses made.
Those were the good old days. I lived in San Antonio for 7 years and often went across the border. But when I was returning to St Louis, I ended up buying some pots and various things at the Mexican market in San Antonio. My friend's husband, who was in the military, warned the two of us not to go into Mexico.

A friend in St Louis is an international customer service rep for a company in St Louis. One of the representatives of a large client gets medications for her there that she uses for her dogs at a fraction of the price. She's never had a problem, but I guess that guy goes to a legitimate pharmacy.

Rockntractor
04-22-2012, 09:45 PM
Is this good or bad news? :an:

I wonder if she got dinner first?http://planetsmilies.net/confused-smiley-17432.gif (http://planetsmilies.net)

Hawkgirl
04-22-2012, 11:21 PM
I wonder if she got dinner first?http://planetsmilies.net/confused-smiley-17432.gif (http://planetsmilies.net)

It was a big black woman.:blue:

There were some hawt latin men in Customs though...:evil-grin:

Articulate_Ape
04-22-2012, 11:42 PM

It is absolutely correct to check inbound visitors' passports--once. If you are doing it more than once, you are doing it wrong. Is it correct to accept everything your government demands of you?

Articulate_Ape
04-22-2012, 11:50 PM
I suppose the repeated checks are to prevent the swiss cheese effect..If Number 1, 2 and 3 miss something, maybe number 4 won't.

What about number 4? Should there not be a number 5? Or 6? Or...?

9/11 changed everything. I can assure you that it did. How's that change looking to you?

JB
04-23-2012, 12:51 PM
only got groped onceCall me.

Zeus
04-23-2012, 03:46 PM
It is absolutely correct to check inbound visitors' passports--once. If you are doing it more than once, you are doing it wrong. Is it correct to accept everything your government demands of you?

Those who demand all or nothing predominately get nothing. Recognition of a need isn't recognition or acceptance of all things either.

I know people that get upset for being asked for an ID when presenting a check for payment,not me,I'm glad someone is checking to make sure it's me spending my money not someone else.

Articulate_Ape
04-23-2012, 07:30 PM
Those who demand all or nothing predominately get nothing.

Perhaps, but it has also been said that "Those who would sacrifice essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." I happen to agree with Benjamin Franklin's take on this one. You can call me old-fashioned I guess.

Zeus
04-23-2012, 08:09 PM
Perhaps, but it has also been said that "Those who would sacrifice essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." I happen to agree with Benjamin Franklin's take on this one. You can call me old-fashioned I guess.

Showing a passport at customs deprives one of liberty in what way ? I think you are getting carried away, that BF quote doesn't apply in such a situation.

The people never give up their liberties, but under some delusion. ~ Edmund Burke ~

Articulate_Ape
04-23-2012, 08:22 PM
Showing a passport at customs deprives one of liberty in what way ? I think you are getting carried away, that BF quote doesn't apply in such a situation.

Showing it once, Zeus. If one has to repeatedly show it then something is broken, wouldn't you agree? It's like frisking 90 year old women and toddlers. C'mon, there has to be a limit to what we as a civil society will accept from an incompetent government. Surely, you have some limit, yes? That's my only point.

Chuck58
04-24-2012, 09:08 PM
I think it's interesting that, according to Israeli friends we have, Ben Gurion Airport is the safest in the world and they do nothing even closely resembling what happens at our airports. They tell us that boarding an El Al flight and going through Israeli security is pleasurable by comparison to what they endure here in the States when they're trying to return home. The major difference - racial profiling, which has worked for years in Israel.

Zeus
04-24-2012, 09:15 PM
I think it's interesting that, according to Israeli friends we have, Ben Gurion Airport is the safest in the world and they do nothing even closely resembling what happens at our airports. They tell us that boarding an El Al flight and going through Israeli security is pleasurable by comparison to what they endure here in the States when they're trying to return home. The major difference - racial profiling, which has worked for years in Israel.

It's not so much Racial profiling but Character profiling. Granted Arab looking people get a little more scrutiny.