PDA

View Full Version : Anti-Defamation League rips Urban Outfitters for Star of David look-alike shirt

Odysseus
04-26-2012, 09:37 AM
PAINFULLY UNHIP

Anti-Defamation League rips Urban Outfitters for Star of David look-alike shirt

By Alex Dickinson Monday, April 23, 2012

http://downloads.thedaily.com/photos/2012/04/22/042312-biz-tshirt-controversy-pic-662w-at-1x.jpg
PHOTO:urbanoutfitters.com

The $100 T-shirt was called “extremely distasteful and offensive.”

Urban Outfitters intends to ride out the controversy over its newest garment — a T-shirt imprinted with a symbol that resembles a Star of David, which Jews had to wear in Nazi Europe.

The trendy fashion chain is under fire from the Anti-Defamation League for its $100 “Wood Wood Kellog Tee” because the patch on the left breast pocket looks like the yellow Star of David, which Adolf Hitler used to mark Jews for persecution and extermination during World War II. Six million Jews died in the Holocaust.

“We find this use of symbolism to be extremely distasteful and offensive and are outraged that your company would make this product available to your customers,” league regional director Barry Morrison wrote to Urban Outfitters CEO Richard Hayne.

The league demanded Urban Outfitters stop selling the shirt and issue an apology for its insensitivity. The shirt was still for sale on the chain’s website last night. Urban Outfitters did not return requests from The Daily for comment.

In his letter, released Thursday on Holocaust Remembrance Day, Morrison called the T-shirt “a new low” for Urban Outfitters. He wrote: “The League has communicated with Urban Outfitters on numerous occasions over the years regarding a variety of projects that have, ‘tread on the feelings and reinforced stereotypes of various groups — Christians, blacks, and Irish, Mexican, and Jewish-Americans … the list goes on’ .”

Last month, Rep. Joseph Crowley, D-N.Y., criticized the chain for a range of Irish-themed clothing with such slogans as “Kiss Me I’m Drunk, Or Irish, Or Whatever” and “Irish I Were Drunk.” One figure of a person vomiting came with the slogan: “Irish yoga.

The Navajo Nation sued Urban Outfitters this year over clothing and accessories that resemble traditional garb.

http://www.thedaily.com/page/2012/04/23/042312-biz-tshirt-controversy-1-1/

------------------------------------------------------------
What's next? Zyklon B shower gel?

Novaheart
04-26-2012, 10:19 AM
Meanwhile, the fact that these goniffs are selling a t shirt for $100 passes under the radar.

Starbuck
04-26-2012, 10:37 AM
Meanwhile, the fact that these goniffs are selling a t shirt for $100 passes under the radar.

:lemo: Had to look up and see what a goniff was....

I wouldn't think they are selling very many of them; most of their Tees are priced at 25 bucks or so.
But since they did price it at 100$, surely you don't think that is anyone's business but their own. Price controls on Tee shirts? No.

Novaheart
04-26-2012, 10:52 AM
:lemo: Had to look up and see what a goniff was....

I wouldn't think they are selling very many of them; most of their Tees are priced at 25 bucks or so.
But since they did price it at 100$, surely you don't think that is anyone's business but their own. Price controls on Tee shirts? No.

A goniff is not necessarily breaking the law. It's largely an invective.

NJCardFan
04-26-2012, 11:44 AM
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ1SsFXlhvAYVdvrZxG2rKyDAKfkfQdb-8hLR4ACU55J6ptMWBW-ndPjbrgLQ

Sorry, don't see the correlation. In fact, the star on the concentration camp cap looks more like a sheriff's badge:

http://www.co.sumner.ks.us/Portals/ks-sumner/images/SheriffBadge.jpg

Zeus
04-26-2012, 12:32 PM

That was my first thought. Then I thought what the hell if anyone is stupid enough to pay that price for a $4 garment more power to them.

Odysseus
04-26-2012, 12:43 PM
There were a number of different patterns.

Here are a couple of versions of what was worn in the camps:

http://www.tampabay.com/multimedia/archive/00024/LAT_HOLOCAUST052508E_24382c.jpg

http://www.holocaustrevealed.org/_domain/holocaustrevealed.org/I/badges.gif

This version was worn in Germany prior to the deportations:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_ys4yaY-ijmk/Sr3HL6chgpI/AAAAAAAAAGI/1r7Lc5P9Ngc/s400/yellow_badge.jpg

The placement of the star on the left side of the chest on the bright yellow background is pretty obviously meant to evoke the stars worn during the Holocaust.

Zeus
04-26-2012, 01:03 PM
I can understand The outcry to a certain extent. Then again I know a couple Concentration camp survivors that still carry the Tattooed numbers on their arm as a sign of rememberance to never forget the tragedies carried out by the Nazis.

Articulate_Ape
04-26-2012, 01:22 PM
There were a number of different patterns.

Here are a couple of versions of what was worn in the camps:

http://www.tampabay.com/multimedia/archive/00024/LAT_HOLOCAUST052508E_24382c.jpg

http://www.holocaustrevealed.org/_domain/holocaustrevealed.org/I/badges.gif

This version was worn in Germany prior to the deportations:

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_ys4yaY-ijmk/Sr3HL6chgpI/AAAAAAAAAGI/1r7Lc5P9Ngc/s400/yellow_badge.jpg

The placement of the star on the left side of the chest on the bright yellow background is pretty obviously meant to evoke the stars worn during the Holocaust.

Sorry, Ody, but I think it's a real stretch to connect the Magen David with what, to me at least, is clearly this:

http://www.electrostatics3d.com/geo/geometry.gif

I think perhaps someone tied their Tefillin too tight.

Novaheart
04-26-2012, 03:12 PM
South African Urban Outfitters

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-2XTDc98peCo/TYpR3ZTC4vI/AAAAAAAAAD4/uovAC9QkRUs/s1600/awb.png

Odysseus
04-26-2012, 03:38 PM
Sorry, Ody, but I think it's a real stretch to connect the Magen David with what, to me at least, is clearly this:

http://www.electrostatics3d.com/geo/geometry.gif

I think perhaps someone tied their Tefillin too tight.

Look at the silhouette of what's on the shirt and the object that you posted. Note that yours has eight points, not six, while the shirt clearly has six points.

Articulate_Ape
04-26-2012, 06:13 PM
Look at the silhouette of what's on the shirt and the object that you posted. Note that yours has eight points, not six, while the shirt clearly has six points.

It's the same figure slightly rotated, Ody. Perspective does that. Look, you know I tend to agree with you on most stuff, but I just think this is a case of hypersensitivity on someone's part. Being part of a Jewish family, albeit a non-Jew myself, I am pretty attuned to the antisemitism that still plagues the world. However, if I was walking down the street and saw that shirt, there is no way I would make the connection. Perhaps it might trigger a reaction from an elderly Jew who was affected or closer to the abomination that was the Holocaust, I do not know. I just don't think that this clothier aimed for that reaction, let alone aimed for it intentionally. Maybe it's me, but I really don't.

Retread
04-26-2012, 06:24 PM
FWIW AA - I agree. It's just a geometric.

Articulate_Ape
04-26-2012, 06:26 PM
FWIW AA - I agree.

As well you should. You see, unlike Ody, I am NEVER wrong.

Retread
04-26-2012, 06:49 PM
I may not always be right but, ay gawd, I ain't never rong!

NJCardFan
04-26-2012, 10:57 PM
Something tells me that UO didn't set out to piss off the Jews.

Odysseus
04-26-2012, 11:35 PM
It's the same figure slightly rotated, Ody. Perspective does that. Look, you know I tend to agree with you on most stuff, but I just think this is a case of hypersensitivity on someone's part. Being part of a Jewish family, albeit a non-Jew myself, I am pretty attuned to the antisemitism that still plagues the world. However, if I was walking down the street and saw that shirt, there is no way I would make the connection. Perhaps it might trigger a reaction from an elderly Jew who was affected or closer to the abomination that was the Holocaust, I do not know. I just don't think that this clothier aimed for that reaction, let alone aimed for it intentionally. Maybe it's me, but I really don't.

I think that I'm not being clear. I don't think that this is meant to be antisemitic, I think that it's crass marketing. Now, maybe I'm wrong, but the silhouette is too obvious to be accidental. The rotation of the geometric shape to create a Star of David may not have been on the mind of the designer, but if nobody in their marketing department looked at this and said, "Schmuck, that's a Star of David," then I'm Louis Farakhan. The color choice for the shirt would also have been an extremely unfortunate coincidence, but I doubt it. Urban Outfitters was looking for something "edgy" that would spark a lot of outrage (and promote their brand) and this fit the bill. You have to admit that it's certainly sparked discussion about an otherwise forgettable piece of highly overpriced schmatta. Right now they are busy putting out the company line that they are shocked, shocked, I tell you, that there is any controversy around their shirt, and that everybody ought to come down to the nearest purveyor of fine clothing and check it out themselves, and maybe shell out a few hundred bucks to be part of the buzz.

When I read the Commentary piece without seeing the image, my first thought was that ADL was going off half-cocked again, which they tend to do quite a bit, especially when partisan politics is in play (they ignore a lot of antisemitism in Democratic constituencies and are hypersensitive to anything that remotely resembles it in Republican ones), so I did an image search. When I saw it, I was surprised by how blatant the image was. It wasn't an accident. UO has an extremely large, savvy marketing department whose job is to prevent accidental controversies and calculate deliberate ones. This one is deliberate.

Something tells me that UO didn't set out to piss off the Jews.

Oh, I'm sure that they wanted some of us to react. This is a marketing ploy, not a political or religious statement. The controversy will sell shirts to people who have more money than brains and a desire to shock their parents.

Trust me, if they thought that somebody would buy Zyklon-B Shower Gel, they'd sell it.

Zeus
04-27-2012, 11:38 AM
A marketing ploy for sure. $100 for a pocket - t. Marketed towards Idiots with more money than brains.

Articulate_Ape
04-27-2012, 02:02 PM
I think that I'm not being clear. I don't think that this is meant to be antisemitic, I think that it's crass marketing. Now, maybe I'm wrong, but the silhouette is too obvious to be accidental. The rotation of the geometric shape to create a Star of David may not have been on the mind of the designer, but if nobody in their marketing department looked at this and said, "Schmuck, that's a Star of David," then I'm Louis Farakhan. The color choice for the shirt would also have been an extremely unfortunate coincidence, but I doubt it. Urban Outfitters was looking for something "edgy" that would spark a lot of outrage (and promote their brand) and this fit the bill. You have to admit that it's certainly sparked discussion about an otherwise forgettable piece of highly overpriced schmatta. Right now they are busy putting out the company line that they are shocked, shocked, I tell you, that there is any controversy around their shirt, and that everybody ought to come down to the nearest purveyor of fine clothing and check it out themselves, and maybe shell out a few hundred bucks to be part of the buzz.

When I read the Commentary piece without seeing the image, my first thought was that ADL was going off half-cocked again, which they tend to do quite a bit, especially when partisan politics is in play (they ignore a lot of antisemitism in Democratic constituencies and are hypersensitive to anything that remotely resembles it in Republican ones), so I did an image search. When I saw it, I was surprised by how blatant the image was. It wasn't an accident. UO has an extremely large, savvy marketing department whose job is to prevent accidental controversies and calculate deliberate ones. This one is deliberate.

With all due respect, I think the ADL is overreacting to and you are over-thinking this thing.

Odysseus
04-27-2012, 04:41 PM
A marketing ploy for sure. $100 for a pocket - t. Marketed towards Idiots with more money than brains.

Exactly. It's the latest version of the Che t-shirt, except more expensive and calculated to offend more effectively.

Articulate_Ape
04-27-2012, 08:26 PM
Exactly. It's the latest version of the Che t-shirt, except more expensive and calculated to offend more effectively.

I guess when the members of the ADL finally stop voting for people that support people that want to reapply the emblem in question I will be more inclined to get my knickers in a knot over things like this.

noonwitch
05-02-2012, 02:36 PM
I don't think the two symbols look very much like each other. It's not as if I'm going to spend $100 on a t-shirt, anyways.

I would spend $100 on a pretty dress, though, if it was for a special occasion or just something that I look great in.