PDA

View Full Version : Winders 7

namvet
04-26-2012, 09:56 AM
I think a lot of you have it. now I do. my old PC with XP home did its titanic act last week. so Now i have a new one with 7. i did an upgrade. bigger HD and SDRAM and graphics. so far I really like 7. smooth and seamless. explorer 9. no CD ROM. guess that's history??? a DVD/CDRW. I burn a lot of music and vids.
oh yeah its an HP. so was my old one and Ive a good track record with them

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf-JAVA/Doc/images/c02830890.jpg

Rockntractor
04-26-2012, 10:00 AM
I would use either Opera or Firefox for your browser, Explorer 9 is not my favorite.

namvet
04-26-2012, 10:12 AM
I would use either Opera or Firefox for your browser, Explorer 9 is not my favorite.

im gonna wait and see. I have high speed cable and so far this thing runs like a raped ape

Zeus
04-26-2012, 10:36 AM
im gonna wait and see. I have high speed cable and so far this thing runs like a raped ape

I switch back and forth between Chrome and explorer. There are many aspects of the web that work better with explorer but chrome is faster overall.

I'm satisfied with Windows 7, don't like their file structure though. I use windows explorer a lot and the Win7 file structure makes it appear as if you have massive copies of many files.

m00
04-26-2012, 04:36 PM
I switch back and forth between Chrome and explorer. There are many aspects of the web that work better with explorer but chrome is faster overall.

I'm satisfied with Windows 7, don't like their file structure though. I use windows explorer a lot and the Win7 file structure makes it appear as if you have massive copies of many files.

Yeah, win 7 is acceptable. Unfortunately, win 8 is going to be a nightmare due to the hardware enforced DRM. When I worked at Microsoft 10 years ago they were cooking up this plan (it was called "Palladium" back then) but nobody actually working at Microsoft that I knew supported the idea. Maybe the culture has changed.

Rockntractor
04-26-2012, 04:47 PM

Lunascape works well when you need a trident based browser like Explorer.

Odysseus
04-26-2012, 05:22 PM
Hope that you got Windows 7 Professional, which is their NT-progeny, rather than the home version. The various home versions of Windows have been less stable than the pro versions, ever since Window Millenium (or Windows Malevolent, as I used to call it).

I use Chrome for most things at home, but Internet Explorer for anything Army-related, as the CAC applications aren't supported as well in Chrome.

You may find that the emulation-mode for older Windows versions isn't as good as advertised. I have a few programs that were written in the late 90s-early 00s that don't work in 7, but did work in XP, that I've had to upgrade. On the plus side, the older aps that do work in the new environment are much faster, as Win 7 Pro is much less of a resource hog than Vista.

Madisonian
04-28-2012, 07:34 PM

Articulate claims it was consensual, but I don't believe him.

fettpett
04-30-2012, 05:54 PM
Firefox or Chrome, IE has soo many holes in its security it's not funny, they are literally 4-5 years behind the others in security. If you REALLY need to use IE for something, Firefox has an addon that lets you use it in a Firefox tab.

Janice
04-30-2012, 06:09 PM
Firefox or Chrome, IE has soo many holes in its security it's not funny, they are literally 4-5 years behind the others in security. If you REALLY need to use IE for something, Firefox has an addon that lets you use it in a Firefox tab.

Here is a link to IE add ons (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/search/?q=IE&appver=8.0.1&platform=windows) for Firefox.

Zeus
04-30-2012, 08:29 PM

The primary reason IE has had way more security flaws than the other browsers is because of the yrs as being the leader and market penetration.They aren't behind the others in security they are just the most heavily targeted for exploitation. Security flaws are being exploited in the others but in the meantime they have had the luxury of applying the lessons learned from IE experiences in development of their browsers.

Retread
05-01-2012, 08:13 PM
I had planned to switch over to Opera completely but now I find out it won't run my Trusteer nor my consulting gig link. So now I'm having to run the consultation in IE, my financial dealings in Firefox and the rest in Opera.

I'm with Ody on the "home" stuff. Purely second tier version. Always get the professional.