PDA

View Full Version : ‘Fake dentist’ arrested, allegedly treated patients at home

Rockntractor
04-26-2012, 11:25 PM
A man has been arrested for practicing dentistry out of his Long Island, N.Y., home without any formal medical or dental training, the Long Island Press reported Thursday.

Police arrested Manuel Carranza, 46, on Wednesday after they received a tip about the alleged unlicensed dental practice. The home office reportedly contained dental equipment as well as a number of prescription medications and two stun guns.

According to the Long Island Press, Carranza also possessed a forged New York State identification card.

Carranza was charged with unauthorized practice of a crime, possession of a forged instrument, possession of a dangerous weapon and criminal diversion of a prescription.

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/04/26/fake-dentist-arrested-allegedly-treated-patients-at-home/#ixzz1tCw3dBwv

Janice
04-27-2012, 04:32 AM
Carranza was charged with unauthorized practice of a crime ...

Seems like an odd way to word something like this.

"unauthorized practice of a crime". Is there an authorized version? An 'authorized' practice of a crime?

What school do these 'journalists', 'reporters' or whatever learn this from?

Or is it the cop? Or am I off base here?

NJCardFan
04-27-2012, 06:59 AM
Seems like an odd way to word something like this.

"unauthorized practice of a crime". Is there an authorized version? An 'authorized' practice of a crime?

What school do these 'journalists', 'reporters' or whatever learn this from?

Or is it the cop? Or am I off base here?

If this is how the law is written, can't blame the cop unless he misspoke but I was thinking the same thing, "as opposed to an authorized practice of a crime". However, upon further review, it's an actual NY State Law: http://law.justia.com/codes/new-york/2010/edn/title-8/article-130/sub-art-4/6512/ And upon even further review, it's called "unauthorized practice a crime". Makes sense in that context.

Rockntractor
04-27-2012, 10:34 AM
There are poor unfortunate people in England who would love to have someone like this to work on their tooth! We don't realize how good we have it.