PDA

View Full Version : Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens

txradioguy
04-28-2012, 01:36 AM
As many as 100 high school students walked out of a national journalism conference after an anti-bullying speaker began cursing, attacked the Bible and reportedly called those who refused to listen to his rant “pansy asses.”

The speaker was Dan Savage, founder of the “It Gets Better” project, an anti-bullying campaign that has reached more than 40 million viewers with contributors ranging from President Obama to Hollywood stars. Savage also writes a sex advice column called “Savage Love.”
Savage, and his husband, were also guests at the White House for President Obama’s 2011 LGBT Pride Month reception. He was also invited to a White House anti-bullying conference.

Savage was supposed to be delivering a speech about anti-bullying at the National High School Journalism Conference sponsored by the Journalism Education Association and the National Scholastic Press Association. But it turned into an episode of Christian-bashing.

Rick Tuttle, the journalism advisor for Sutter Union High School in California, was among several thousand people in the audience. He said they thought the speech was one thing – but it turned into something else.

“I thought this would be about anti-bullying,” Tuttle told Fox news. “It turned into a pointed attack on Christian beliefs.”

Tuttle said a number of his students were offended by Savage’s remarks – and some decided to leave the auditorium.

“It became hostile,” he said. “It felt hostile as we were sitting in the audience – especially towards Christians who espouse beliefs that he was literally taking on.”

Tuttle said the speech was laced with vulgarities and “sexual innuendo not appropriate for this age group.” At one point, he said Savage told the teenagers about how good his partner looked in a speedo.

The conservative website CitizenLink was the first to report about the controversy. They interviewed a 17-year-old girl who was one of students who walked out of the auditorium.

“The first thing he told the audience was, ‘I hope you’re all using birth control,’” she told CitizenLink. “he said there are people using the Bible as an excuse for gay bullying, because it says in Leviticus and Romans that being gay is wrong. Right after that, he said we can ignore all the (expletive deleted) in the Bible.”

As the teenagers were walking out, Tuttle said that Savage heckled them and called them “pansy asses.”

http://radio.foxnews.com/toddstarnes/top-stories/anti-bullying-speaker-curses-mocks-christian-teens.html

Starbuck
04-28-2012, 02:14 AM
:biggrin-new:
Some people were just never intended to be motivational speakers, it seems.:friendly_wink:

Deadhead
04-28-2012, 04:06 AM
I have mixed feelings on this. On one hand, Savage is right by saying that some people use the Bible as an excuse for gay bullying. My boss is gay and her, her wife, and her daughter have all been on the receiving end of a fundamentalist christian condemning their wicked,sinful lifestyle of like....raising a child and paying a mortgage and doing all the things that normal people do

However, Dan Savage, imo, is counterproductive to his own cause. It is shit like this mentioned in the article that marginalizes him to the point where only the kind of people who tune into Bill Maher's show every Friday night will take him seriously. Standing up for for somebody being bullied is one thing, but there's no reason to be childish and petty about it.

One last thing, his google bombing of Santorum is still pretty damn funny. And the reason I find it funny is because Rick Santorum can fight back, he's in a position of power. Not quite the case when say, Bill Maher or Wonkette or whoever has fun at the expense of Trig Palin or whatnot

Constitutionally Speaking
04-28-2012, 08:47 AM
Gee why am I not surprised? A liberal anti-bullying activist, using bullying tactics to beat up on people he disagrees with - and CHILDREN no less.

Typical

txradioguy
04-28-2012, 09:16 AM
I have mixed feelings on this. On one hand, Savage is right by saying that some people use the Bible as an excuse for gay bullying. My boss is gay and her, her wife, and her daughter have all been on the receiving end of a fundamentalist christian condemning their wicked,sinful lifestyle of like....raising a child and paying a mortgage and doing all the things that normal people do

However, Dan Savage, imo, is counterproductive to his own cause. It is shit like this mentioned in the article that marginalizes him to the point where only the kind of people who tune into Bill Maher's show every Friday night will take him seriously. Standing up for for somebody being bullied is one thing, but there's no reason to be childish and petty about it.

One last thing, his google bombing of Santorum is still pretty damn funny. And the reason I find it funny is because Rick Santorum can fight back, he's in a position of power. Not quite the case when say, Bill Maher or Wonkette or whoever has fun at the expense of Trig Palin or whatnot

^^ This...

And you wonder why people here think you're an idiot.

Novaheart
04-28-2012, 09:52 AM
"People often point out that 'They can't help it. They can't help with the anti-gay bullying." because it says right there in the Bible, it says right there in Leviticus, Timothy, Romans.... (At this point a girl gets up and leaves) We can learn to ignore the bullshit in the Bible about gay people; the same way we have learned to ignore the bullshit in the Bible about shellfish, about slavery, (a boy gets up and walks out) about dinner, about menstruation, about farming, about virginity, about masturbation, (another girl and boy get up and walks, crowd is cheering). We ignore bullshit in the Bible about all sorts of things. (about 12 people walk out en mass). The Bible is radically pro-slavery. Slave owners waved the Bible over their heads in the Civil War and justified it. (another group is walking out) The shortest book in the New Testament is a letter from Paul to a Christian slave owner, who owns Christian slaves. ..... We ignore what the Bible says about slavery wrong. Sam Harris in Letter To A Christian Nation points out that the Bible got the easiest moral question that humanity has ever faced: Wrong. The Bible says that if a woman is not a virgin on her wedding night, she shall be dragged to her father's doorstep and stoned to death. (dumbfounded look) Calista Gingrinch lives. And there is no effort to amend state constitutions to make it illegal to stone women on their wedding night if they are not virgins.... at least not yet; we don't know where the GOP is going these days. People are dying because people can't clear this one last hurdle. They can't get past this one last thing in the Bible., the Bible and sexuality.

Um, so one thing I want to talk about (chuckles and points to the back of the room) , so you cant tell the Bible guys in the hall that they can come back now, 'cause I'm done beating up on the Bible. It's funny as someone who's on the receiving end of beatings that are justified by the Bible, how pansied assed some people react when pushed back. I apologize if I hurt anyone's feelings, but I have a right to defend myself, and to point out the hypocrisy of people who try to justify anti-gay bigotry by pointing to the Bible, and insisting that we must live by the code of Leviticus on this one issue and no other."

Novaheart
04-28-2012, 09:53 AM
Gee why am I not surprised? A liberal anti-bullying activist, using bullying tactics to beat up on people he disagrees with - and CHILDREN no less.

Typical

Read the transcript I made.

NJCardFan
04-28-2012, 11:24 AM

So by your logic, blacks should then be allowed to go around lynching whites.

Deadhead
04-28-2012, 11:34 AM
^^ This...

And you wonder why people here think you're an idiot.

Yea, well, that's just like, your opinion man

Deadhead
04-28-2012, 11:34 AM
So by your logic, blacks should then be allowed to go around lynching whites.

Um...what?

NJCardFan
04-28-2012, 12:18 PM
Um...what?

Well, Nova believes that it's OK for this guy to bully Christians because in his mind Christians bully gays so by that logic then blacks should be free to lynch whites. You know, the 2 wrongs make a right theory.

Lanie
04-28-2012, 12:44 PM
I hate how the gay thing has hijacked the anti-bullying movement. Bullying against gays is a serious problem. That said, you can have beliefs against homosexuality without being a bully.

I just reconnected with a high school friend of mine the other day. He was rumored to be gay in high school and therefore bullied. He left that school for an ultra holiness school and got along just fine.

People use religion as an excuse to bully. I say we file charges against bullies for harassment.

JB
04-28-2012, 01:15 PM
Read the transcript I made.I read it. It seems to me Savage knows nothing of the Bible.

And that puke was there to speak about bullying. Not to turn it into some anti-Christian woe is me gay thing. Being bullied for being gay is about 30th on the list of "Things people are bullied for".

04-28-2012, 01:51 PM

It was NOT bullshit in Biblical times to prohibit the eating of shellfish. They were pretty much available in areas that were polluted by human waste back then. Technology had not developed to the point of having shellfish being safe to eat. Many such things are found in the Bible.

Upon closer examination, nearly all of the rules and things you cite had a specific purpose - and helped to keep the population healthy and civil.

Times have changed and technology has helped us deal with some of the issues, but the social ills many of your cited instances are STILL detrimental to society today.

Deadhead
04-28-2012, 01:52 PM
Well, Nova believes that it's OK for this guy to bully Christians because in his mind Christians bully gays so by that logic then blacks should be free to lynch whites. You know, the 2 wrongs make a right theory.

I'm not quite sure that he meant it that way, but I agree with you in a general sense. I don't believe in the 2 wrongs theory and I don't believe in an eye for an eye or any of that.

Odysseus
04-28-2012, 01:55 PM
Dan Savage is the lowlife who joined the Bauer campaign in 2000 under false pretenses. He had the flu, and planned to infect as many Republicans as he could while he worked there. From his column (http://www.thestranger.com/seattle/Content?oid=3092) on the subject:

"Gary is having a press conference today at the World War II memorial by the state capitol," Andy tells me when I arrive the next day for my second shift at Bauer 2000 headquarters. "We'd like to have a crowd of supporters there." Andy hands me a list of phone numbers and shows me to a phone; he also tells me to stop by the conference. "Grab my arm," he says, "and I'll make sure you get to meet Gary."

An hour and a half later, most everyone has left the offices for a pizza party. I am alone, like Cinderella after her sisters trotted off to the ball. My nose is running like a faucet, so I'm not too upset at missing the pizza. Besides, I've got work to do.

I go around the room licking doorknobs. They are filthy, no doubt, but there isn't time to find a rag to spit on. If for some reason I don't manage to get a pen from my mouth to Gary's hands at the conference, I want to seed his office with germs, get as many of his people sick as I can, and hopefully one of them will infect the candidate. I lick office doorknobs, bathroom doorknobs. When that's done, I start on the staplers, phones, and computer keyboards. Then I stand in the kitchen and lick the rims of all the clean coffee cups drying in the rack. I grab my coat and head out.

I show up at the war memorial press conference, but the turnout is skimpy. There are about two dozen people here, mostly campaign staffers and their families. My phone efforts have failed, but Andy claps me on the back anyway, hands me a Bauer sign, and tells me to stand behind the podium with the rest of the crowd. It's freezing cold and windy. Waiting for Gary, I take my pen out of my pocket and put it in my mouth. This is it, my one shot at the candidate. I chew the pen, cracking the plastic shaft. Gary arrives, toddles up to the podium, and makes some brief remarks about Red China. As he steps away, I step toward him.

"This is my son," I say, handing him a photograph. "Can I have your autograph?" Bauer gives me an odd look; I need to give him a little more. "I talked his mother out of aborting him. You're my hero, Mr. Bauer."

He looks at me with his little bug eyes, and breaks into a wide smile. "Good for you," Gary says. "That's wonderful."

He takes the picture, and I pull the pen out of my mouth and hand it to him. Score! My bodily fluids -- flu bugs and all -- are all over his hand! When he tries to sign, no ink comes out. Gary looks up at the cameras and says, "Looks like everything is frozen." He grabs a poster and scribbles on it to get the ink flowing, then signs the picture. He hands me my pen, and starts to walk toward his van. He stops to answer a reporter's question, and I see him run a finger under his nose. Perfect.

I didn't need to lick all those doorknobs after all.

Imagine if an elderly volunteer had contracted the flu and died as a result of Savage's depraved indifference.

txradioguy
04-28-2012, 02:23 PM
Yea, well, that's just like, your opinion man

Not so much. You're defending the acts of a bully. And whats more ironic is he's supposed to be talking about anti-bullying.

Once again Savage displays the typical Libtard hypocrisy...as are you...which means that it's ok to bash and bully anon who doesn't agree with your dogma.

Deadhead
04-28-2012, 02:35 PM
Not so much. You're defending the acts of a bully. And whats more ironic is he's supposed to be talking about anti-bullying. Not in the slightest. I simply said that one facet he happens to have a point. Some christians do use their faith as an excuse to be a bully.

Once again Savage displays the typical Libtard hypocrisy...as are you...which means that it's ok to bash and bully anon who doesn't agree with your dogma.
Did you totally skip the part where I said what Savage is doing is counterproductive to his cause?

Odysseus
04-28-2012, 02:51 PM
Not in the slightest. I simply said that one facet he happens to have a point. Some christians do use their faith as an excuse to be a bully.

Did you totally skip the part where I said what Savage is doing is counterproductive to his cause?

So, it would be okay if it advanced his cause?

Deadhead
04-28-2012, 02:57 PM
So, it would be okay if it advanced his cause?With respect, you and tx seem to be missing my point. What I'm saying is that if Dan Savage really did care about gay teens being bullied, he would a) tell bullied kids that they're not alone and help is out there if they want it. And b) Respectfully talk to christian youth about tolerating(not accepting, mind you) those that are different from them and not using the bible as a weapon

Novaheart
04-28-2012, 03:16 PM
It was NOT bullshit in Biblical times to prohibit the eating of shellfish. They were pretty much available in areas that were polluted by human waste back then. Technology had not developed to the point of having shellfish being safe to eat. Many such things are found in the Bible.

Upon closer examination, nearly all of the rules and things you cite had a specific purpose - and helped to keep the population healthy and civil.

Times have changed and technology has helped us deal with some of the issues, but the social ills many of your cited instances are STILL detrimental to society today.

No. You can't do that. That's cafeteria christianity. That is precisely what Savage is talking about.

Novaheart
04-28-2012, 03:19 PM

He wasn't bullying Christians. He was debunking the idea that anti-gay discrimination and bullying is moral, righteous, and contiguous with a consistent philosophy (cultural artifact actually). You cannot use the Bible as a weapon and then claim that it's off limits because it's a religious book.

txradioguy
04-28-2012, 03:21 PM

No I caught that part...but in between I also saw where you defended his egregious behavior.

You're trying to have it both ways.

Typical Libtard.

Novaheart
04-28-2012, 03:23 PM
What I'm saying is that if Dan Savage really did care about gay teens being bullied, he would a) tell bullied kids that they're not alone and help is out there if they want it.

He has done that.

And b) Respectfully talk to christian youth about tolerating(not accepting, mind you) those that are different from them and not using the bible as a weapon

It doesn't work that way. Like their parents, they get glassy eyed, go on some bullshit about loving the sinner, and a week later they are at the school board meeting trying to ban the use of the words "Gay" and "homosexual" in the schools.

The only thing Savage left out, and he may well have covered this in the speech after the You Tube selection stopped, is that Christianity is not the only bastion of backwardness and ignorance disguised as "deeply held beliefs". He should have discussed Islam and Hinduism as well.

Deadhead
04-28-2012, 03:28 PM
No I caught that part...but in between I also saw where you defended his egregious behavior.

You're trying to have it both ways.

Typical Libtard.

I was defending his part in defining the term "Santorum". That, to me, is not bullying because like I said, Rick Santorum is and adult and was at the time in a position of power. As an elected official making a public statement, what he said was fair game. I'm not defending Savage's attitude toward these christian kids

Deadhead
04-28-2012, 03:31 PM
He has done that.

It doesn't work that way. Like their parents, they get glassy eyed, go on some bullshit about loving the sinner, and a week later they are at the school board meeting trying to ban the use of the words "Gay" and "homosexual" in the schools.

The only thing Savage left out, and he may well have covered this in the speech after the You Tube selection stopped, is that Christianity is not the only bastion of backwardness and ignorance disguised as "deeply held beliefs". He should have discussed Islam and Hinduism as well.
Oh I agree with you. I've said before how I grew up ambivalent towards the idea of religion and have a hard time believing people take it as seriously as they do.

And I can understand you mentioning Islam, seeing as how it's slowly becoming more prevalent in America. But honestly, is Hinduism really all that prevalent here to merit mentioning?

txradioguy
04-28-2012, 03:32 PM
I was defending his part in defining the term "Santorum". That, to me, is not bullying because like I said, Rick Santorum is and adult and was at the time in a position of power. As an elected official making a public statement, what he said was fair game. I'm not defending Savage's attitude toward these christian kids

Whatever Libtard. You defend one part of his stupidity...you defend it all.

It's no different bullying a bunch of Christian kids than it is bullying and belittling and falsely smearing a public figure with an extremely gross sexual act.

Except in your Libtard mind because when someone disagrees with your political point of view then anything goes and no slight or smear is too low.

Novaheart
04-28-2012, 03:33 PM
..... But honestly, is Hinduism really all that prevalent here to merit mentioning?

I just tossed it in for luck.

txradioguy
04-28-2012, 03:33 PM
Oh I agree with you. I've said before how I grew up ambivalent towards the idea of religion and have a hard time believing people take it as seriously as they do.

And I can understand you mentioning Islam, seeing as how it's slowly becoming more prevalent in America. But honestly, is Hinduism really all that prevalent here to merit mentioning?

Why don't you two just kiss and make it official.

Deadhead
04-28-2012, 03:40 PM
Why don't you two just kiss and make it official.

Dude, is there really a need to be this hostile?

Deadhead
04-28-2012, 03:41 PM
I just tossed it in for luck.

S'all good bro. I do that with pennies and fountains.

txradioguy
04-28-2012, 03:47 PM

n00b if you think that's hostile...you're in for a long hard ride here.

Deadhead
04-28-2012, 03:55 PM
n00b if you think that's hostile...you're in for a long hard ride here.

Fair enough. I just don't do hostility. I'm certainly not gonna get into a shouting match over the internet with anybody. That's probably one of the lamest things I think somebody can do. The only fighting I do is in video games

Rockntractor
04-28-2012, 04:29 PM
Fair enough. I just don't do hostility. I'm certainly not gonna get into a shouting match over the internet with anybody. That's probably one of the lamest things I think somebody can do. The only fighting I do is in video games

http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/615244-barney_1_large.jpg

Apache
04-28-2012, 06:05 PM
Deadhead, The man used his speech to be nothing more than a hypocrite, pure and simple. He bullied simply because he could

Nova, you and Savage don't know squat about the Bible, let alone Christianity...

Deadhead
04-29-2012, 04:51 AM
Nova, you and Savage don't know squat about the Bible, let alone Christianity...

That may be. And ya know what, I'm perfectly fine with that

txradioguy
04-29-2012, 05:09 AM

And yet you open your mouth and comment on rings that you freely admit you know nothing about.

:rolleyes:

Odysseus
04-29-2012, 11:19 AM

Yeah, but you may not want to express opinions about something that you don't know anything about, unless you enjoy getting flamed.

Novaheart
04-29-2012, 10:48 PM

Give us all a laugh, and tell us which church you belong to.

RedGrouse
04-29-2012, 11:05 PM
Gay teens aren't the only people who are bullied.

Apache
04-29-2012, 11:08 PM

So then why, may I ask, are you commenting? I've seen the Bible under attack so many times in the past. Verses, passages taken completely out of context to say something they don't mean. I used to sit back and let others take up the fight... not any more. I have been studying the Bible, its meaning, context, relationship to history and language. I admit that right now I actually know very little about the book. Compared to those who use it for the degradation of Christians though, I'm a freakin' scholar...

Do you even know what bullying Mr. ( and I use that term lightly) Savage is refering to? I seriously doubt that there are Christians surrounding a kid in the bathroom and dunking his/her head into a toilet. 10 to 1 I'll bet you the "bullying" is the fact that Christians say that homosexuality is wrong... OMG!

You want to look at bullying? You take a look at the tactics employed by gays to further their agenda. The making up of words to silence those who disagree. The intimidation or attempted intimidaion of those who wish to halt the gay agenda. The suits brought forth to overturn the will of the people, who are fed up with dictated to by 2% of the population. You look at the way they are forcing the teaching of their lifestyle, in school, to younger and younger children. Hell go through the history of this site, you look at Novaheart's posts regarding religion, especially Christianity! He tries to back up his claims, yet fails miserably each time...

You look at both sides and you tell me. Who are the REAL bullies?

CueSi
04-29-2012, 11:27 PM
Whatever Libtard. You defend one part of his stupidity...you defend it all.

It's no different bullying a bunch of Christian kids than it is bullying and belittling and falsely smearing a public figure with an extremely gross sexual act.

Except in your Libtard mind because when someone disagrees with your political point of view then anything goes and no slight or smear is too low.

This is the funniest thing I've read in ages.

Hmmmm, I remember when we'd read stuff like this from DU... how did it go... goldy, bronzy . . .

Yes. You disagree with tx, that's what he does. It's like watching a master projectionist at work.

Pearls. Swine. Don't give too many out, Deadhead. ;)

~QC

Apache
04-29-2012, 11:41 PM

You know Nova, this is the third time you've asked me to divulge personal information about myself, and this is the final time I'm going to answer your question...

NONE OF YOUR BUSINESS!

You got it this time?

txradioguy
04-30-2012, 02:47 AM
This is the funniest thing I've read in ages.

Hmmmm, I remember when we'd read stuff like this from DU... how did it go... goldy, bronzy . . .

Yes. You disagree with tx, that's what he does. It's like watching a master projectionist at work.

Pearls. Swine. Don't give too many out, Deadhead. ;)

~QC

This is rich coming from the outrage queen of CU who claiomed that because we criticize Michell Obama and deride her attempt to intrude into our kitchens we're "racist".

You just now beginning to poke your hed back into this forum after that embarassing and false blanket accusation.

Pearls and swine?

How about pot and kettle QC

txradioguy
04-30-2012, 03:19 AM
OBAMA WHITE HOUSE FUNDRAISES FOR ANTI-CHRISTIAN BULLY SAVAGE

INSIDE SAVAGE'S VISIT TO THE WHITE HOUSE

ANDREW BREITBART: MEDIA EMBRACING SAVAGE MEANT 'OPEN SEASON ON CHRISTIAN CONSERVATIVES'

RABBI BLASTS SAVAGE'S ANTI-CHRISTIAN RANT: 'WESTBORO OF THE LEFT'

SAVAGE: JUSTICE SCALIA IS A 'C***SUCKER'

SAVAGE: 'I WISH REPUBLICANS WERE ALL F***ING DEAD'

www.breitbart.com

Novaheart
04-30-2012, 10:27 AM

That's true, but what is your point?

Novaheart
04-30-2012, 10:30 AM
Y
NONE

That's what I thought. I, on the other hand, had years of religion class, confirmation classes, The Bible As History, The Bible as Literature, etc.. I like I said, I would put my knowledge of the Bible up against yours in a face to face anyday, but online it simply isn't worth the effort because you can (and will) cheat.

Novaheart
04-30-2012, 10:34 AM
I've seen the Bible under attack so many times in the past. Verses, passages taken completely out of context to say something they don't mean.

Savage isn't taking it out of context. He's discussing the context of using Biblical passages against gay people while hypocritically ignoring other Biblical prohibitions or commands which surround them.

Novaheart
04-30-2012, 10:38 AM
OBAMA WHITE HOUSE FUNDRAISES FOR ANTI-CHRISTIAN BULLY SAVAGE

INSIDE SAVAGE'S VISIT TO THE WHITE HOUSE

ANDREW BREITBART: MEDIA EMBRACING SAVAGE MEANT 'OPEN SEASON ON CHRISTIAN CONSERVATIVES'

RABBI BLASTS SAVAGE'S ANTI-CHRISTIAN RANT: 'WESTBORO OF THE LEFT'

SAVAGE: JUSTICE SCALIA IS A 'C***SUCKER'

SAVAGE: 'I WISH REPUBLICANS WERE ALL F***ING DEAD'

www.breitbart.com

The Bible is an historical artifact. The more ignorant people like you act, the greater the impetus to remove the Bible from the public entirely. When I was in high school, you could take Bible course in a public high school. But the fundies weren't OK with the Bible being treated like a valuable artifact, they wanted it treated like the one and only source of all that is good. Now it's all but gone from public school. Good job.

Novaheart
04-30-2012, 10:43 AM

Let me guess. You weren't particularly religious as a child, ceremonial deism at least, Christmas Christian at most. You joined some branch of the military and went through the motions of calling yourself a Christian, then you got married and your wife wanted you to go to church after the kids started coming along. So you went, but your heart wasn't in it. Then, mid life crisis came along, early in your case because you started too young, and you cheated on your wife and got caught. All hell broke loose, and conveniently enough Promise Keepers was in town the next week so you promised to go. Promise Keepers made you cry, and all your new buddies there wraped their arms around you and gave you the love you never got from your cold emotionally or physically absent father. You came home and told Doris about your experience, you cried together, and then you went and joined some Jumping Jesus In The Pasture By The Freeway megachurch which wrapped it's arms around both of you, and got Doris so busy with their communist cell system that she doesn't have time to guilt trip you too much.

Just a guess.

txradioguy
04-30-2012, 10:44 AM
The Bible is an historical artifact. The more ignorant people like you act, the greater the impetus to remove the Bible from the public entirely. When I was in high school, you could take Bible course in a public high school. But the fundies weren't OK with the Bible being treated like a valuable artifact, they wanted it treated like the one and only source of all that is good. Now it's all but gone from public school. Good job.

Coming from a church hating athiest like you...the above comment holds little vaule to the discussion.

You'll never come out and admit it...but inside you were hi fiving what this bullying bigot did to those kids who thought they were coming to hear a positive message...and got a peverted freak show from a fear mongering assclown instead.

txradioguy
04-30-2012, 10:48 AM
Let me guess. You weren't particularly religious as a child, ceremonial deism at least, Christmas Christian at most. You joined some branch of the military and went through the motions of calling yourself a Christian, then you got married and your wife wanted you to go to church after the kids started coming along. So you went, but your heart wasn't in it. Then, mid life crisis came along, early in your case because you started too young, and you cheated on your wife and got caught. All hell broke loose, and conveniently enough Promise Keepers was in town the next week so you promised to go. Promise Keepers made you cry, and all your new buddies there wraped their arms around you and gave you the love you never got from your cold emotionally or physically absent father. You came home and told Doris about your experience, you cried together, and then you went and joined some Jumping Jesus In The Pasture By The Freeway megachurch which wrapped it's arms around both of you, and got Doris so busy with their communist cell system that she doesn't have time to guilt trip you too much.

Just a guess

And a wrong guess at that.

Why don't you go play hide and go fuck yourself. You're pathetic...and you don't even try to hide that fact any more.

Your only redeeming trait..and it's fading fast in light of your other Libtard ways...is the fact you see radical Islam for what it really is. But that's it.

You have no real reason to be on a Conservative discussion board other than to highlight everything that's wrong with the world and to give a little peek into the twisted mind of a window licking hive mentality Libtard.

No...you haven't hit a nerve with what you've said Novatwit...so you can just backspace that off of your reply.

I'm just saying what every other Conservative on this board is thinking.

Novaheart
04-30-2012, 10:59 AM
You have no real reason to be on a Conservative discussion board other than to highlight everything that's wrong with the world and to give a little peek into the twisted mind of a window licking hive mentality Libtard.

So one can only have conservative positions if he's a Turnip Truck Christian?

NJCardFan
04-30-2012, 11:56 AM

Just a guess.

Comment removed by admin.

Novaheart
04-30-2012, 12:59 PM
I was asked by mods long ago to refrain from making such vulgar posts, and I agreed. Thus, I cannot respond to your post other than to say that between the two of us, you spend the most time looking at men's genitals and other naked body parts. You appear to enjoy it and are well paid for it as well. In a way that makes you a prostitute, doesn't it?

Apache
04-30-2012, 03:52 PM
That's what I thought. I, on the other hand, had years of religion class, confirmation classes, The Bible As History, The Bible as Literature, etc.. I like I said, I would put my knowledge of the Bible up against yours in a face to face anyday, but online it simply isn't worth the effort because you can (and will) cheat.

Nice editting there... Like all Leftist hacks, you took it out of context, then twisted it to say what YOU wanted it to. Gee BIG surprise :rolleyes:

Secondly, I have roundly defeated you a couple of times, even with my limited understanding, using the Bible.

RedGrouse
04-30-2012, 04:07 PM
That's true, but what is your point?

And your point is? :rolleyes:

I am saying that anyone can be bullied and it is for various reasons. Hell, there are even gays who bully.

Read before you type.

Apache
04-30-2012, 05:48 PM

Bullshit, you lying sack-O-crap! Those classes were removed because of atheistic assholes screaming separation of church and state. For fuck sake, would it kill you to tell the truth?

Apache
04-30-2012, 05:57 PM
Savage isn't taking it out of context. He's discussing the context of using Biblical passages against gay people while hypocritically ignoring other Biblical prohibitions or commands which surround them.

Umm...Nova, I saw the speech. Everything was takenout of context and twisted around...you know, like you did to an eariler post. It must really tweak your nose getting owned so badly by a lowly ranch hand, huh?

NJCardFan
04-30-2012, 10:34 PM
I was asked by mods long ago to refrain from making such vulgar posts, and I agreed. Thus, I cannot respond to your post other than to say that between the two of us, you spend the most time looking at men's genitals and other naked body parts. You appear to enjoy it and are well paid for it as well. In a way that makes you a prostitute, doesn't it?

Um, no because unlike you there is no sexual stimulation involved and to further make you look like the fool that you are, I do not "spend the most time looking at men's genitals". If I spend a grand total of 3 minutes a month doing so(doing strip searches for suicide watch), it's a lot. Unlike you, I don't find men's genitalia or hairy bottoms attractive and the inmate being stripped certainly isn't enjoying the experience so your attempt at snark fails. Oh, and it just kills you knowing I make that much more than you doesn't it. Makes my job even more enjoyable. Can't wait to get my $1,800 clothing allowance in a few weeks.

Gina
05-01-2012, 02:46 AM

k, that's a borderline Christian bully statement. But anyway.

Constitutionally Speaking you are absolutely correct. The laws in the OT were to keep the people safe, healthy and in communion with God.

Deadhead said:
Respectfully talk to christian youth about tolerating(not accepting, mind you) those that are different from them and not using the bible as a weapon

As anyone who reads the Bible knows, the Bible IS a weapon against sin. It talks about putting on armor and standing on the Word of God to discern what is moral and what is not. Tolerating someone in your view, I suspect, is saying "hey if it feels good, do it! It's non of my business" or some such. That does not jibe with the Bible in any way, shape or form.

Homosexuality is not moral according to the Bible, and for a Christian to be asked to chose between the Word of God or tolerating something immoral, the Bible wins every time. Love the sinner, hate the sin. (Yes Nova, that's in the Bible so don't bully me lol) Bullying is not necessary by a Christian or anyone else. If you or the prof are saying live and let live, then your condemnation should be on the prof for being a hypocrite.

I would be a hypocrite if I didn't speak out about things that are against my faith, but I don't bully people for what they do or believe and I expect the same.
:love_heart:

05-01-2012, 05:25 AM

How does that justify this? How is BULLYING them justified?

This man is the SAME person who started the google bomb on Santorum - the SAME person who tried to infect members of Gary Bauers campaign with the flu by licking doornobs and passing out snot smeared pens.

He is a SICK man and he gets WHITE HOUSE funding for his RADICAL smear groups disguised as anti-bullying charities.

05-01-2012, 05:29 AM

As far as activists are concerned they are.

05-01-2012, 06:03 AM
No. You can't do that. That's cafeteria christianity. That is precisely what Savage is talking about.

No it is NOT cafeteria Christianity. Most of those things are OLD testament items. The New testament did away with much of the old laws and codes. Indeed that is one of the distinctions between Christianity and our Jewish Brethren. Christ FULFILLED the old Mosaic law and laid forth new laws.

Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes. (Romans 10-4)

Novaheart
05-01-2012, 09:40 AM
Um, no because unlike you there is no sexual stimulation involved and to further make you look like the fool that you are, I do not "spend the most time looking at men's genitals". If I spend a grand total of 3 minutes a month doing so(doing strip searches for suicide watch), it's a lot. Unlike you, I don't find men's genitalia or hairy bottoms attractive and the inmate being stripped certainly isn't enjoying the experience so your attempt at snark fails. Oh, and it just kills you knowing I make that much more than you doesn't it. Makes my job even more enjoyable. Can't wait to get my $1,800 clothing allowance in a few weeks.

I'm certain that there are a lot of prostitutes who make more than I do. Some of them probably get gifts of clothing and jewelry which make your coupon for Mr. Pinky's look adorable.

But seriously- I don't envy you at all. I watch Lock-Up and that's as close to that place as I want to get. The noise would get to me.

I do think it's hilarious that on the one hand you are bragging about your paycheck and on the other you are bitching because you will eventually have to pay what most people have been paying for health insurance for decades.

Novaheart
05-01-2012, 09:45 AM
No it is NOT cafeteria Christianity. Most of those things are OLD testament items. The New testament did away with much of the old laws and codes. Indeed that is one of the distinctions between Christianity and our Jewish Brethren. Christ FULFILLED the old Mosaic law and laid forth new laws.

Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes. (Romans 10-4)

Most. This one but not that one. What did Jeus say on the subject?

189. Which are the two great commandments that contain the whole law of God?
The two great commandments that contain the whole law of God are:

Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with thy whole heart, and with thy whole soul, and with thy whole mind, and with thy whole strength;
Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself.
And one of them, a doctor of the Law, putting him to the test, asked him, "Master, which is the great commandment in the Law?" Jesus said to him, "'Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with thy whole heart, and with thy whole soul, and with thy whole mind.' This is the greatest and the first commandment. And the second is like it, 'Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself.' On these two commandments depend the whole Law and the Prophets." (Matthew 22:35-40)

190. What must we do to love God, our neighbor, and ourselves?
To love God, our neighbor, and ourselves we must keep the commandments of God and of the Church, and perform the spiritual and corporal works of mercy.

My dear children, let us not love in word, neither with the tongue, but in deed and in truth. (I John 3:18)

191. Which are the chief corporal works of mercy?
The chief corporal works of mercy are seven:

To feed the hungry.
To give drink to the thirsty.
To clothe the naked.
To visit the imprisoned.
To shelter the homeless.
To visit the sick.
To bury the dead.

Novaheart
05-01-2012, 09:57 AM

This man is the SAME person who started the google bomb on Santorum - the SAME person who tried to infect members of Gary Bauers campaign with the flu by licking doornobs and passing out snot smeared pens.

He is a SICK man and he gets WHITE HOUSE funding for his RADICAL smear groups disguised as anti-bullying charities.

He isn't bullying them. He is attacking the basis for anti-gay harassment. They got up and chose to leave because they couldn't handle that their mythology was being blamed for its crimes. He mocked their upset, after they had left the room. At no time were they under threat. At no time was he encouraging those who remained to go after the others for their religion. He didn't call them a bunch of pansies, he called their reaction to his righteous attack on the Bible-as-weaponry "pansy-assed".

NJCardFan
05-01-2012, 11:15 AM
I do think it's hilarious that on the one hand you are bragging about your paycheck and on the other you are bitching because you will eventually have to pay what most people have been paying for health insurance for decades.

Uh huh. I worked in the private sector and never had to pay $500 a month for health insurance so another snarky fail by you.

Deadhead
05-01-2012, 12:53 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alXxsKLVofM

For anybody who's interested, here's the actual video. After actually seeing it, at least what was put up on youtube, I.....could hardly call this bullying. And he wasn't calling these christian kids pansy asses, he was simply saying their reaction could be that way when someone actually challenges them.

So yea, I should've watched this before I commented. As for the whole "Christians being offended" thing....deal with it. Nobody has the right to not be offended

txradioguy
05-01-2012, 02:09 PM

He also gets the Pulitzer Prize for filth like this porno mag disguised as a newspaper called The Stranger.

Gotta love a "newspaper" that holds a amateur porn contest every year and has a cover illustration of a pre teen girl between a mans legs suggesting either incest or pedophilia.

txradioguy
05-01-2012, 02:10 PM

For anybody who's interested, here's the actual video. After actually seeing it, at least what was put up on youtube, I.....could hardly call this bullying. And he wasn't calling these christian kids pansy asses, he was simply saying their reaction could be that way when someone actually challenges them.

So yea, I should've watched this before I commented. As for the whole "Christians being offended" thing....deal with it. Nobody has the right to not be offended

Of course YOU don't see it as bullying....you agree with the crap he said.

Gina
05-01-2012, 02:11 PM

Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with thy whole heart, and with thy whole soul, and with thy whole mind, and with thy whole strength;
And one of them, a doctor of the Law, putting him to the test, asked him, "Master, which is the great commandment in the Law?" Jesus said to him, "'Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with thy whole heart, and with thy whole soul, and with thy whole mind.' This is the greatest and the first commandment. And the second is like it, 'Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself.' On these two commandments depend the whole Law and the Prophets." (Matthew 22:35-40)

To love God, our neighbor, and ourselves we must keep the commandments of God and of the Church, and perform the spiritual and corporal works of mercy.

My dear children, let us not love in word, neither with the tongue, but in deed and in truth. (I John 3:18)

To feed the hungry.
To clothe the naked.
To visit the imprisoned.
To shelter the homeless.
To visit the sick.
To bury the dead.

I'm not Catholic so I thought hey, I'll look up who my neighbor is. I won't paste all this (http://carm.org/heidelberg-catechism) but it's what I would say is similar to what you've posted. I assume you're familiar with the parable of the Good Samaritan since you posted part of it. What you didn't post is:

36 “Which of these three do you think was a neighbor to the man who fell into the hands of robbers?”

37 The expert in the law replied, “The one who had mercy on him.”

Jesus told him, “Go and do likewise.” link (http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Luke+10%3A25-37&version=NIV)

Does one have to be a Christian to "do likewise"? No. But doing as the Levite and the priest did are more common today. So are people like that my neighbor? No, but I can love them as I love myself.

Apache
05-01-2012, 02:25 PM

I have seen the video, noworries there. It was bullying, simplying for the fact that those being berated could not answer back. It was bullying because he took the Bible out of context and twisted the meaning... not surprising. noworries. and yes he did call them "pansy asses" because they walked out. As far as being offended, Christians are quite often offended by the actions of the Left, you know what Deadhead? We do "deal with it"...

noworries though our faith is what keeps us going...

Gina
05-01-2012, 02:33 PM
As far as being offended, Christians are quite often offended by the actions of the Left, you know what Deadhead? We do "deal with it"...

Yeah no beheadings or anything! :love_heart:

Apache
05-01-2012, 02:42 PM
Yeah no beheadings or anything! :love_heart:

I guarantee Mr (and I use the term loosely) Savage wouldn't have the balls to attempt such actions with the Koran and an equal number of muslims...:biggrin-new:

Deadhead is just sniping from the sidelines... noworries

Gina
05-01-2012, 02:44 PM
Something that will never happen:

Savage giving an anti-bullying speech to a group of Muslims.

FlaGator
05-01-2012, 02:51 PM
He wasn't bullying Christians. He was debunking the idea that anti-gay discrimination and bullying is moral, righteous, and contiguous with a consistent philosophy (cultural artifact actually). You cannot use the Bible as a weapon and then claim that it's off limits because it's a religious book.

As a Christian I feel that he is bullying Christians and doing so in the same manner that he accuses Christians of bullying him. Like beauty being in the eyes of the beholder, being bullied is in the mind of those receiving it and I say that he his bing a bully. A person who makes the argument that bullying is wrong negates any value his message might otherwise have had by acting the bully. One should not bully those he or she considers bullies as Christ told us not to overcome evil with evil.

Do Christians bully homosexuals? I'm ashamed to admit it but many do and they use the Bible as the justification for bullying but that is wrong. The Bible states that homosexuality is wrong and sinful in the eyes of God. Leviticus condemns it as does Pauls epistles and Christ Himself affirms that the only sacred union other than man's union with God is between man and his female counterpart.

With that said, even though Leviticus calls homosexuality an abomination and prescribes a punishment for it, Christ spoke to us of tempering the Law with compassion. Just because homosexuality is described as being a sin we are not, as Christians, to condemn the sinner but to show kindness and mercy to the sinner as God shows mercy to Christians because we are sinners. When the pharisees presented the woman guilty of adultry to Christ he equated her sin with their own personal sins and suggested that they were in the wrong by condemning her. He stated that He would not condemn her but asked to to repent of her sinful behavior.

I hope that you understand that I can believe that your life style is wrong without passing judgement on you as a person. We can have friendly discussion and agree on many things without having to agree the moral issues that we hold and that may, at times, be at odds. Still, we should be able to hold intelligent conversations even on the things we disagree on if we respect each others rights to our views.

Christ teaches us that we are to share His Gospel and leave it up to God whether that information takes root. We shouldn't force our beliefs on you as you should force acceptance on us. But if given the chance to vote against something that we consider wrong, it is our moral obligation to do so. Take same sex marriage. You are for it and you are morally obligated to try and make it a reality. To not do so would be crime against your own principals. Biblically based Christians are obligated to take a stand against it. We both, however our under a social and moral code that should force us to play fair and respect each others point of view.

You have every right to choose your path just as I have the right to choose mine, but whatever path we choose we have to accept the consequences of our choices. The Bible tells me to be prepared for persecution for my beliefs and perhaps the Christian stance on homosexuality will be the the spark that starts that flame, but I accept that as a consequence of my beliefs. If the culture changes to accept your life style the I must tolerate it and abide by any laws the come from that change but I cannot be forced to accept it. Equally if homosexuals lose the culture war (which seems unlikely at this point) I would hope that you would tolerate my beliefs even if it was beyond your ability to accept them.

05-01-2012, 11:36 PM

To feed the hungry.
To clothe the naked.
To visit the imprisoned.
To shelter the homeless.
To visit the sick.
To bury the dead.

This indeed was NOT part of the discontinued law - but it also has NOTHING to do with what I posted.

05-01-2012, 11:42 PM
He isn't bullying them. He is attacking the basis for anti-gay harassment. They got up and chose to leave because they couldn't handle that their mythology was being blamed for its crimes. He mocked their upset, after they had left the room. At no time were they under threat. At no time was he encouraging those who remained to go after the others for their religion. He didn't call them a bunch of pansies, he called their reaction to his righteous attack on the Bible-as-weaponry "pansy-assed".

BALONEY. He was MOCKING them and their religion and laying the foundation for them to be bullied. He also bullied Santorum with his google bomb smear. He is nothing but a scum sucking piece of SHIT.

Additionally his basis for attacking the bible is wrong - the Bible specifically forbids judging others "lest you be judged".

Apache
05-01-2012, 11:59 PM
the Bible specifically forbids judging others "lest you be judged".

That is meant under a different context. It is not a blanket statement...

Deadhead
05-02-2012, 01:03 AM
http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/615244-barney_1_large.jpg

Yea, that's pretty much it. Blame it on me not growing up in America

Novaheart
05-02-2012, 09:48 AM
Uh huh. I worked in the private sector and never had to pay $500 a month for health insurance so another snarky fail by you.

Mine will cost me 1.5% of my salary starting in January. That only amounts to $900 a year but considering I use about $100 worth per year, this is a lot. My co-pay at the doctor went up to $15 per visit and my prescriptions went up. I picked up my latest batch and my co-pay was $69. Of course this all has nothing to do with Obamacare as it was negotiated into our contract last year and it runs until next June 30. I don't mind paying. In the grand scheme of things it's really not bad and it's tax deductible.

In another post, your complaint was that your premium was going to be $200 month. Now you say it's $500 a month. Which is it?

Novaheart
05-02-2012, 10:03 AM
You have every right to choose your path just as I have the right to choose mine, but whatever path we choose we have to accept the consequences of our choices. The Bible tells me to be prepared for persecution for my beliefs and perhaps the Christian stance on homosexuality will be the the spark that starts that flame, but I accept that as a consequence of my beliefs. If the culture changes to accept your life style the I must tolerate it and abide by any laws the come from that change but I cannot be forced to accept it. Equally if homosexuals lose the culture war (which seems unlikely at this point) I would hope that you would tolerate my beliefs even if it was beyond your ability to accept them.

Did you ever see video of or read about a gay mob descending upon a Mormon Temple prior to Prop 8?
Have gay mobs had demonstrations in front of or inside St Patrick's Cathedral prior to the Cardinal attacking gay people politically?

These people are using religion as a weapon. Politicians and even state's attorneys try to justify discrimination against gay people with religion, because that is ultimately the reason for it. Then they try to use their churches and cathedrals as castle walls behind which to to hide. And gay people are supposed to respect that? We're supposed to stop at the castle wall, because it's sacred? What next? The "Holy city of New York" and the "Holy City of Salt Lake?"

Dan Savage was raised in the Catholic Church and Catholic school system. He's qualified to comment and educated in the material. It's not off limits.

FlaGator
05-02-2012, 06:00 PM
Did you ever see video of or read about a gay mob descending upon a Mormon Temple prior to Prop 8?
Have gay mobs had demonstrations in front of or inside St Patrick's Cathedral prior to the Cardinal attacking gay people politically?

These people are using religion as a weapon. Politicians and even state's attorneys try to justify discrimination against gay people with religion, because that is ultimately the reason for it. Then they try to use their churches and cathedrals as castle walls behind which to to hide. And gay people are supposed to respect that? We're supposed to stop at the castle wall, because it's sacred? What next? The "Holy city of New York" and the "Holy City of Salt Lake?"

Dan Savage was raised in the Catholic Church and Catholic school system. He's qualified to comment and educated in the material. It's not off limits.

I'm not disputing Savage's right to comment. I'm taking issue with the way he chose to do it and the venue that he used. To be giving a lecture on evils of bullying and then proceeding to bully members of his audience simply because they believe other than he does puts him in the same category as the people he despises. From what I've read of Mr. Savage and his behavior in public I guess organizers of this event should have expected something like this. He seems to operate on the same philosophy that drove Harris and Klebold (minus the semi automatic weapons); revenge by being worse that the people who attacked him.

As for the protests after prop 8... well some where protests and they have that right, however some were gang attacks on people that simply voiced their opinion. Some where legitimate uses of the first amendment and others where temper tantrums thrown by groups of individuals who didn't get their way. How are they any different than the people who destroy a section of their home team because their sports team lost?

When the enactment of Prop was stopped by the court, I don't recall a lot of Christian groups protesting in the streets and threatening gay people as they gathered for other unrelated activities. There is however, video on Youtube of a prayer group being harassed simply because the were Christians and were out on a prayer walk that they had been doing for years and had nothing to do with Prop 8.

My point on all of this is that both sides could and should behave better when dealing with moral values that are at odds. To do things that polarize the other side does not help either side achieve an acceptable compromise. All it breeds is distrust when trust needs to be built. Dan Savage and those like him are people who are too angry to be useful to your cause and is not that much different that the people of Westbro Baptist Church.

Hawkgirl
05-02-2012, 06:18 PM
This thread reminds me of the Celebrity Apprentice. Aubrey O'Day is one of the most hated, self-righteous, arrogant bully that's been on CA in a long time. She tries to bully all the others on her team and treats them like crap. Her charity is GLSEN, an anti-bullying organization. But as we find out more about GLSEN, it's mainly about gay bullying.
First they hijack the rainbow, now all anti-bullying platforms. Seriously gays, it's not all about YOU.

05-02-2012, 07:33 PM

I guess then you won't raise any objections when we retaliate.

RedGrouse
05-02-2012, 07:36 PM
Dan Savage is no different from Perez Hilton.

ABC in Georgia
05-02-2012, 07:58 PM
Ooh!

Sort of off topic here, but is reminding me, that one day when I have the *time* to do it ... as the very Christian, ultra-conservative woman that you know me as in here ... will tell you about a gay, agnostic, business friend of Mr. ABC's and mine ... also our age ... from before he (hubby) retired.

Worked for what I think was called, not sure ... "The Gay Underground." He helped deal with young gay teens that were rejected by their families, and were very close to committing suicide because of it.

He and I, at company parties/functions, had plenty of talks, both fun and serious. He also was not immune to agreeing with me on many conservative poltical points of view.

Not to mention, that man could really dance up a storm, and I, still to this day, would rather dance than eat!!! ... and yes, I mean to the fast stuff! ... :smile-new:

Anyway ... I digress as usual ... He was, and still is... a wonderful human being. Yes, I disagree 100% with the lifestyle ... but *not* with him.

Til then ... flame me if you must ~ ABC

ABC in Georgia
05-02-2012, 08:29 PM
Meant to add ...

Savage is a terrible human being!

Bullying young Christians is beneath contemp in my book.

Actual "bullying" and cursing of young people just to make your point is something only people of low character would do.

~ ABC

JB
05-02-2012, 08:50 PM
Have gay mobs had demonstrations in front of or inside St Patrick's Cathedral prior to the Cardinal attacking gay people politically?Don't forget to storm the mosques and Baptist churches.

No one hates gays more than Muslims and the Black Clergy.

Elspeth
05-02-2012, 09:02 PM
To be giving a lecture on evils of bullying and then proceeding to bully members of his audience simply because they believe other than he does puts him in the same category has the people he despises.

Yeah, that.

noonwitch
05-03-2012, 02:00 PM
I'm not disputing Savage's right to comment. I'm taking issue with the way he chose to do it and the venue that he used. To be giving a lecture on evils of bullying and then proceeding to bully members of his audience simply because they believe other than he does puts him in the same category as the people he despises. From what I've read of Mr. Savage and his behavior in public I guess organizers of this event should have expected something like this. He seems to operate on the same philosophy that drove Harris and Klebold (minus the semi automatic weapons); revenge by being worse that the people who attacked him.

As for the protests after prop 8... well some where protests and they have that right, however some were gang attacks on people that simply voiced their opinion. Some where legitimate uses of the first amendment and others where temper tantrums thrown by groups of individuals who didn't get their way. How are they any different than the people who destroy a section of their home team because their sports team lost?

When the enactment of Prop was stopped by the court, I don't recall a lot of Christian groups protesting in the streets and threatening gay people as they gathered for other unrelated activities. There is however, video on Youtube of a prayer group being harassed simply because the were Christians and were out on a prayer walk that they had been doing for years and had nothing to do with Prop 8.

My point on all of this is that both sides could and should behave better when dealing with moral values that are at odds. To do things that polarize the other side does not help either side achieve an acceptable compromise. All it breeds is distrust when trust needs to be built. Dan Savage and those like him are people who are too angry to be useful to your cause and is not that much different that the people of Westbro Baptist Church.

I don't have a problem with Savage when he is appearing on Bill Maher's show. I have to wonder who thought that he was an appropriate speaker for high school students? His column is graphically descriptive, for one thing. There are far more respectable gay people who can speak about bullying, as can nerds. Our governor, a self-proclaimed nerd, gave a speech about bullying before he signed the bill about it into law, and stated that he had been bullied as a kid for being a nerd. Band and Orchestra geeks get bullied, too, as do "4 eyes", "braceface", "fat kid", and every other kid who doesn't fit what is perceived as normal in his school.

But you are right-Savage behaved like a bully, which is something he was supposed to be decrying at the time.

RedGrouse
05-03-2012, 03:19 PM
This thread reminds me of the Celebrity Apprentice. Aubrey O'Day is one of the most hated, self-righteous, arrogant bully that's been on CA in a long time. She tries to bully all the others on her team and treats them like crap. Her charity is GLSEN, an anti-bullying organization. But as we find out more about GLSEN, it's mainly about gay bullying.
First they hijack the rainbow, now all anti-bullying platforms. Seriously gays, it's not all about YOU.

Speaking of it.

As predicted, Aubrey O'Day had merely taken a breather from "The Celebrity Apprentice" after her boardroom spat with Arsenio Hall. "I got bullied by Arsenio and Clay (Aiken)," she tells us, "but I came back for GLSEN, which is my charity.

She has had spat with another gay person, Clay Aiken. Well, he is a gay Christian, so he is no longer considered gay by some.

http://www.nj.com/entertainment/tv/index.ssf/2012/04/celebrity_apprentice_recap_3.html

Hawkgirl
05-03-2012, 05:21 PM
Speaking of it.

She has had spat with another gay person, Clay Aiken. Well, he is a gay Christian, so he is no longer considered gay by some.

http://www.nj.com/entertainment/tv/index.ssf/2012/04/celebrity_apprentice_recap_3.html

I actually like Clay Aiken. I hope he wins. He's gay, but he's a Texan. He's been the smartest of the group, so far.

Hawkgirl
05-03-2012, 05:28 PM
Clay Aiken's charity, btw, is the National Inclusion Project which helps kids with disabilities. But the usual liberal blowhards on the show picked some sort of charity that benefits the gays...it's their way to show how hip they are.:rolleyes:

He also founded this charity. How smart is he?? I hope he wins this year. He's gay, and while he jokes about it on the show, he's not just about his sexuality.

Elspeth
05-03-2012, 09:25 PM

So Christian churches that actively support gays are "cafeteria" Christians?

First Lutheran Church (http://www.firstlutheransd.org/Outreach/justice.html)

I'd be careful about alienating good hearted people who think love is the center of Christianity.