PDA

View Full Version : Jimmy Kimmel & President Obama Flatline At White House Correspondents Dinner

Rockntractor
04-30-2012, 08:53 AM
By DOMINIC PATTEN | Saturday April 28, 2012 @ 8:36pm PDT
Jimmy Kimmel and President Obama high-fived their performances. But it was anything but a memorable evening of comedy at tonight’s White House Correspondents Dinner, that annual media-politics-showbiz schmoozefest in Washington DC. After three years in a row of telling funny jokes, President Obama flatlined. And ABC late night host Jimmy Kimmel didn’t fare any better: he was bland to a fault. They also couldn’t get any laughs out of the few Mitt Romney jokes they told, even though the GOP presidential candidate wasn’t in attendance. Here’s the live-blog. Judge For yourself:

UPDATE 7:30 PM: Jimmy Kimmel at the mic now. Just as Obama closed on a mention of the Secret Service scandal, that’s the topic Kimmel opens with. “Mr. President, I know you won’t be able to laugh at any of my jokes about the Secret Service,” Kimmel says looking at the Commander-in-Chief, “so cover your ears if that’s physically possible.” The ABC host continues: “I do have a lot of jokes about the Secret Service. I told them for $800 I wouldn’t tell any. But they only offered $30.” Kimmel is on a roll and tells still more Secret Service jokes.

Then he starts on other subjects. “It’s kind of hard to be funny with the President of the United States sitting right next to you, looking at you. And somehow day in and day out, Joe Biden manages to do it,” says Kimmel noting the Veep’s absence. Praising the popular First Lady and her anti-childhood obesity campaign, Kimmel makes a joke about the girth of New Jersey Governor Chris Christie who laughs when the talk show host reminds that the state’s slogan is “not the Olive Garden State”. He raises the Democratic strategist’s comment who criticized Mitt Romney’s wife Ann for “not working a day in her life”. Then the crowd loves it when Kimmel uses that to make fun of tonight’s guests “Kim, Lindsay, etc” for not knowing anything about current events.

Read More>http://www.deadline.com/2012/04/live-blogging-barack-obama-jimmy-kimmel-the-white-house-correspondents’-dinner/

SarasotaRepub
04-30-2012, 09:07 AM
He made fun of poor widdle Keith OberDork too. Some DUmmies were not happy. :biggrin-new:

Rockntractor
04-30-2012, 09:53 AM
“so cover your ears if that’s physically possible.”:rotfl:

linda22003
04-30-2012, 10:02 AM
“so cover your ears if that’s physically possible.”:rotfl:

Michelle cracking up at that was probably the best visual of an otherwise lackluster evening. Women love it when you make fun of their husbands, no matter who their husbands are.

Starbuck
04-30-2012, 10:16 AM
Is it just me?
I feel the participation in these sort of events is undignified. Our president is the leader of the free world, or at least he used to be.
All this late night show nonsense has nothing to do with the job at hand. I didn't like it when Clinton played his sax, thought Kerry was phony when he rode up on his Harley, and I don't like it when the president lampoons himself.
Hopefully, Mitt will stay away from these things.

linda22003
04-30-2012, 11:28 AM
The Correspondents' dinner, the Gridiron, the Alfalfa Club - events like that - are longstanding Washington traditions. Nancy Reagan dressed (down) and did a parody of "Second Hand Rose" at the Gridiron dinner, which really helped her image going forward. It's all part of Washington life, and has been for a very long time. Presidents have attended the Gridiron since 1885, and the White House Correspondent's Dinner has been attended by presidents since Calvin Coolidge.

SaintLouieWoman
04-30-2012, 05:39 PM
I'm surprised the Pres didn't try to croon a little blues. He's a one trick pony---that usually works with the really politically impaired.

Hawkgirl
04-30-2012, 08:02 PM
GWB always had the funny ones, especially when he poked fun at himself and Cheney. His look alike was hilarious too, if anyone got to see it. Humor is a big thing with the Bush's.

http://i49.tinypic.com/zssm6v.jpg

With Steve Bridges

Hawkgirl
04-30-2012, 08:13 PM
There was one time when GW was talking about competitiveness between he and his brother Jeb...He was showing a slide show of his family. Then he said something like "me and Jeb were close and I hold no hard feelings for our childhood years"...then he said, "ladies and gentleman, I present to you the Governor of Florida," and up came a slide of little Jeb standing in a plastic swimming pool nekkid....:rotfl:

JB
04-30-2012, 08:18 PM
They're out of ideas, may as well be out of jokes too.