PDA

View Full Version : Name that purse!!

SaintLouieWoman
04-30-2012, 05:45 PM
Just wondering, is the choice of a woman's purse regional? When I worked and lived in St Louis, Dooney & Burke and Coach bags seemed to be most popular.

Now that I'm in Florida, I'd estimate at least 70% or higher of the women (at least the ones who live here) carry either a Vera Bradley cloth quilted purse or a knock-off of Vera Bradley. I've noted that with the female volunteers at Mote Marine, at the shopping malls, in restaurants, etc.

It's a different world here. There's an Amish place called Troyer's Dutch Heritage (think they're changing their name soon but I can't begin to figure out why you'd change the name of a virtual institution here). It is an enormous restaurant serving Amish food, what else? They have a large gift shop on the second floor. That seems to be the favorite place for the local women to get the latest edition of the Vera Bradley purse and accessories.

Is there a trend toward a favorite type purse where you live?

Hawkgirl
04-30-2012, 07:59 PM
In South Florida, the trend is similar to the North East, Coach is still hot here. I won't spend that kind of money on Coach. I prefer Italian leather so most of my bags are Tignanello.
One day, I may treat myself to a Dooney and Burke as they make nice leather as well.

Rockntractor
04-30-2012, 08:03 PM
I prefer Italian leather so most of my bags are Tignanello.

Do Italian cows moo with an accent?http://planetsmilies.net/confused-smiley-17418.gif (http://planetsmilies.net)

Hawkgirl
04-30-2012, 08:07 PM
Do Italian cows moo with an accent?http://planetsmilies.net/confused-smiley-17418.gif (http://planetsmilies.net)

Not unless they want cement shoes.

SaintLouieWoman
04-30-2012, 10:40 PM
In South Florida, the trend is similar to the North East, Coach is still hot here. I won't spend that kind of money on Coach. I prefer Italian leather so most of my bags are Tignanello.
One day, I may treat myself to a Dooney and Burke as they make nice leather as well.

I have't used the couple of Dooneys that I have since I moved here. One of them is a good sized giraffe print, but it just seems too heavy and more of a winter purse----and it has only been cold here a couple days this year.

Coach seems to be the alternate purse of choice in SW Florida.

linda22003
05-01-2012, 02:38 PM
Coach used to have classic traditional bags that were beautiful, and I had a few of them. These days they have the garish logo stuff, but you can still order the classic bags; they just don't show them in the stores because they don't appeal to younger buyers.
My mother had a beautiful Hermes bag, which she carried for decades. I like their small Clou de Selle bag, but I would never go for a Birkin bag. The cheapest one is about $10,000, and I've never liked a bag so much that I'd pay that kind of money for it. The Kelly bag is better, but also a ridiculous price.

Around here, Tory Burch bags are very popular. Again, I'm not crazy about them. I'm more the Ralph Lauren type.

bijou
05-01-2012, 02:57 PM
This brand (Paul's Boutique) (http://www.pauls-boutique.com/default.aspx?scid=1&wcid=8&wscid=17) is incredibly popular with the very young here. I don't think older people can be doing with so many logos and dangling accessories, I'd be tempted to get the scissors out.

Hawkgirl
05-01-2012, 06:01 PM
My mother had a beautiful Hermes bag, which she carried for decades. I like their small Clou de Selle bag, but I would never go for a Birkin bag. The cheapest one is about $10,000, and I've never liked a bag so much that I'd pay that kind of money for it. The Kelly bag is better, but also a ridiculous price.

10K for a bag? Maybe if you're JLO...:rotfl:

I'd spend 10k on a down payment on real estate though.

Gina
05-01-2012, 09:22 PM
I used to carry a camo-look purse when my son was in Iraq, but I found a Relic purse at the thrift store I work at for $3. I've seen them at Kohl's and Sears so I knew that wasn't a bad price hehe. If I had $10,000 to spend on a purse I would just hire someone to carry my stuff around for me. :cool:

SaintLouieWoman
05-01-2012, 10:22 PM
I used to carry a camo-look purse when my son was in Iraq, but I found a Relic purse at the thrift store I work at for $3. I've seen them at Kohl's and Sears so I knew that wasn't a bad price hehe. If I had $10,000 to spend on a purse I would just hire someone to carry my stuff around for me. :cool:

Sounds like a good buy on that purse. I bought a Vera Bradley messenger bag at the Women's Exchange. It retails for about $90 and I got it for $19. That's still too much to pay at a consignment shop. I got a nice real Burberry plaid checkbook cover there for $8.

And I also would never spend big bucks on a purse. I worked with a woman who travelled quite a bit. She had a new Chanel purse that was very expensive. The chain and leather strap got caught somehow in the phone station area at the airport. She couldn't get it out. The guy who was travelling with her from the same company was a real jerk. She kept calling begging him to help. He finally came up and was going to take a knife to try to cut it.

She panicked and I guess the adrenalin kicked in. She got it loose somehow. And within a month he was reporting to her. Within a couple months he was no longer with the company.

Moral---don't ever mess with a woman's expensive purse (or refuse to help in a purse crisis). :biggrin-new:

noonwitch
05-03-2012, 02:10 PM
I buy my purses at Macys, DSW or Target, for the most part. I have a navy purse I bought at Hudsons (which was bought by Marshall Fields, which was bought by Macys) in the early 90s that I probably paid $50 bucks for and is still in good shape. I've probably gone through 10 pairs of blue shoes since then.

I recently bought a new black purse at Macys because I was getting sick of replacing the ones from Target every year. It was Style & CO and on sale, so I paid $20 for it.

I was looking at The Rack for purses, and I couldn't believe that even on sale, the purses are priced for the most part in the $200 range.

Some of my friends have Coach purses, but they either bought them at the Duty-free shop coming back from Canada or they were gifts from wealthy relatives/husbands. My former supervisor has an awesome yellow Coach bag that I would envy if I had any yellow clothes.

SaintLouieWoman
05-04-2012, 10:50 AM
I buy my purses at Macys, DSW or Target, for the most part. I have a navy purse I bought at Hudsons (which was bought by Marshall Fields, which was bought by Macys) in the early 90s that I probably paid $50 bucks for and is still in good shape. I've probably gone through 10 pairs of blue shoes since then.

I recently bought a new black purse at Macys because I was getting sick of replacing the ones from Target every year. It was Style & CO and on sale, so I paid $20 for it.

I was looking at The Rack for purses, and I couldn't believe that even on sale, the purses are priced for the most part in the $200 range.

Some of my friends have Coach purses, but they either bought them at the Duty-free shop coming back from Canada or they were gifts from wealthy relatives/husbands. My former supervisor has an awesome yellow Coach bag that I would envy if I had any yellow clothes.

Hudsons brings back memories. I had an aunt who moved to Detroit when her husband was transferred there. I used to get Christmas gifts from Hudsons and had some of the old boxes til we moved here and I dumped a bunch of stuff. Did it used to be a May Co store?

I have a dark green suede Coach bag. I don't remember where I got it, but know that it was on a big sale. I tried to sell it at the consignment shop here, but darker colored sude items aren't big sellers here. I ended up reclaiming it, and it's still sitting in my closet. They had the price so low that I decided that I'll probably donate it to some charity.

noonwitch
05-10-2012, 03:40 PM
Hudsons brings back memories. I had an aunt who moved to Detroit when her husband was transferred there. I used to get Christmas gifts from Hudsons and had some of the old boxes til we moved here and I dumped a bunch of stuff. Did it used to be a May Co store?

I have a dark green suede Coach bag. I don't remember where I got it, but know that it was on a big sale. I tried to sell it at the consignment shop here, but darker colored sude items aren't big sellers here. I ended up reclaiming it, and it's still sitting in my closet. They had the price so low that I decided that I'll probably donate it to some charity.

Hudsons was JL Hudson until they merged with Daytons in the 80s, at which point they closed the downtown Detroit store.

There was another chain of stores called Mays of Michigan. Mays was a small, upscale department store that competed with Hudsons.

All local department stores are gone, and we just have national or regional chains. It's sad, and in a lot of ways, Detroit died when DH closed the flagship store downtown. At least it died for white women.

SaintLouieWoman
05-10-2012, 07:38 PM
Hudsons was JL Hudson until they merged with Daytons in the 80s, at which point they closed the downtown Detroit store.

There was another chain of stores called Mays of Michigan. Mays was a small, upscale department store that competed with Hudsons.

All local department stores are gone, and we just have national or regional chains. It's sad, and in a lot of ways, Detroit died when DH closed the flagship store downtown. At least it died for white women.
In Sarasota there is one small Dillards, two Macy's and one Sears and one JCPenny. They have a local chain called Beals that's kind of interesting---lots of touristy stuff and what people moving down here from the North think of as "coastal living" furniture and accessories. I must be getting soft--actually got a few beachy things, but only for the bathroom.

It's a shame that so many stores are closing. Downtown St Louis is like a ghost town. They used to have a large Famous-Barr (owned by May Co), then became a Macy's in the downtown area. No one went there---they were afraid.

Is Detroit in better shape in the suburbs? Most of the residents of the City of St Louis long ago exited for the burbs. That's where they have the Nordstroms, Saks, Neiman's, Dillards, Macy's, etc.

Rockntractor
05-10-2012, 07:47 PM
http://www.pickupspecialties.com/Delta/Delta_Champion/delta_champion.jpg

ABC in Georgia
05-10-2012, 08:00 PM
http://www.pickupspecialties.com/Delta/Delta_Champion/delta_champion.jpg

Wow! Some purse, darlin' ... :biggrin-new:

And you certainly keep it in wonderful shape. All clean and shiny.

Must be a beast to carry around on your person, however! ... :evil-grin:

~ ABC

noonwitch
05-11-2012, 12:58 PM
In Sarasota there is one small Dillards, two Macy's and one Sears and one JCPenny. They have a local chain called Beals that's kind of interesting---lots of touristy stuff and what people moving down here from the North think of as "coastal living" furniture and accessories. I must be getting soft--actually got a few beachy things, but only for the bathroom.

It's a shame that so many stores are closing. Downtown St Louis is like a ghost town. They used to have a large Famous-Barr (owned by May Co), then became a Macy's in the downtown area. No one went there---they were afraid.

Is Detroit in better shape in the suburbs? Most of the residents of the City of St Louis long ago exited for the burbs. That's where they have the Nordstroms, Saks, Neiman's, Dillards, Macy's, etc.

Macys, Saks, Needless Markups, Nordies, L & T and Parisian are all in the suburbs. There is a Macys at Northland, which is just over 8 Mile RD from Detroit, but it is their clearance store and they are understaffed.

There are no chain retail stores within the city limits of Detroit. There are a few local grocery store chains, and lots of small food stores owned by arabs or chaldeans. No WalMart, no Target, nothing like that. Meijer allegedly is going to build a store in a shopping center going in at the former state fairgrounds, which is barely within city limits. The deal that Detroit had to make to get it was to agree to move their police station for that part of town to the shopping center. I hear Marshalls is also going to build there.

SaintLouieWoman
05-12-2012, 11:23 PM
Macys, Saks, Needless Markups, Nordies, L & T and Parisian are all in the suburbs. There is a Macys at Northland, which is just over 8 Mile RD from Detroit, but it is their clearance store and they are understaffed.

There are no chain retail stores within the city limits of Detroit. There are a few local grocery store chains, and lots of small food stores owned by arabs or chaldeans. No WalMart, no Target, nothing like that. Meijer allegedly is going to build a store in a shopping center going in at the former state fairgrounds, which is barely within city limits. The deal that Detroit had to make to get it was to agree to move their police station for that part of town to the shopping center. I hear Marshalls is also going to build there.

It's so sad when the rustbelt cities fall apart. St Louis also had a Northland, but it's been closed for years. It at one time had a Famous Barr (May Co--now Macy's) and a Dillards, plus all the usual mall stores. I taught for a year near that shopping center. Now I would never go anywhere near it, too dangerous.

Other shopping centers have closed, too. The local chain grocery stores won't put up stores in the city. Everything is in the suburbs. The vast majority of the metro population lives in the burbs. There's a patchwork of municipalities---probably over 50, each with their own little fiefdom.

It's strange down here in Sarasota. There's one "bad" part of town, in a place called Newton, where most of the serious crime occurs. When you drive on Hwy 41 through that area, it's almost abandoned. Then go just a bit further and everything once again is lovely. In St Louis, I'm accustomed to larger areas that are truly dangerous. This is such a mini city. Jeeze, their big headline on the front page is about the walk across Niagara Falls by one of the Wallenda families. I keep forgetting that this is a circus city. There are a lot of circus folk living here. They even have a high school, The Sailor School, with its own building for training kids to be in the circus, as well as learning the regular subjects.