PDA

View Full Version : What will your next car be?

Hawkgirl
05-01-2012, 05:58 PM
I have a relatively new 2009 Toyota Venza...but it has almost 70K miles on it. My work commute is an hour long and I also have taken quite a few road trips to North Georgia.

I usually don't keep cars too long...and usually trade them in before they hit the 100K mark.

The Venza is sort of like a cross over. It's not an SUV but has a roomy interior and good trunk space. It drives like a car. It's considered a wagon. I've come to like these wagons, they usually give you more storage space but drive like cars.

I still have about a year before I'm ready to buy, but have been looking at the Audi T3, also a wagon.

http://i46.tinypic.com/28bcj5x.jpg

When I think of a wagon, I think of the Brady Bunch station wagon, but today's wagons are much nicer, imo. Smooth drive, more room than a sedan, more storage and better mpg's than an SUV.

Rockntractor
05-01-2012, 05:59 PM
In this economy, a shopping cart!:blue:

m00
05-01-2012, 06:29 PM
Is this a fantasy thread?

SaintLouieWoman
05-01-2012, 06:36 PM
Hawkgirl, agree with your thinking on the "wagons". The manufacturers don't like to call their vehicles "wagons", but call them crossovers or in BMW's case, they call them "touring" cars.

No matter what they're called, I like the "wagons". Our 2007 3 series BMW only has about 42k miles on it, so we'll probably keep it for some time. It's been very reliable. I love having the wagon, as it's so good for hauling stuff, including the two greyhounds, yet it handles like a "driving machine". I had a 5 series wagon before, but like the smaller one better, more agile.

We got it some time ago when it was owned by the dealership and used as a service loaner. It only had about 10k on it and we got a deep discounted price.

That Audi sounds good. I had two of them years ago. The first one I bought used and after fixing a minor problem, it was good for years. The 2nd one I bought from a dealer and hated it. But that was quite a while ago. I've heard that they're good cars.

Hawkgirl
05-01-2012, 06:40 PM
Is this a fantasy thread?
no. I didn't post a pic of a ferrari, did I?

Hawkgirl
05-01-2012, 06:50 PM
Hawkgirl, agree with your thinking on the "wagons". The manufacturers don't like to call their vehicles "wagons", but call them crossovers or in BMW's case, they call them "touring" cars.

No matter what they're called, I like the "wagons". Our 2007 3 series BMW only has about 42k miles on it, so we'll probably keep it for some time. It's been very reliable. I love having the wagon, as it's so good for hauling stuff, including the two greyhounds, yet it handles like a "driving machine". I had a 5 series wagon before, but like the smaller one better, more agile.

We got it some time ago when it was owned by the dealership and used as a service loaner. It only had about 10k on it and we got a deep discounted price.

That Audi sounds good. I had two of them years ago. The first one I bought used and after fixing a minor problem, it was good for years. The 2nd one I bought from a dealer and hated it. But that was quite a while ago. I've heard that they're good cars.

I only bought used once, and it was a Mercedes Benz E350. My daughter came home in it from the hospital. But it didn't have much trunk space, and with a baby and the stroller, diaper bags and buying huge boxes of diapers, it just wasn't a right fit...I traded it for my Venza which has been reliable and useful for my purposes.
I usually have MB's or Lexus cars...never owned a BMW. Have always wanted an AUDI. I never test drove one, but I recall many years ago sitting in one at a showroom and it impressed me. I didn't buy it as I bought the small MB coupe at the time.
My life is different now and saving up for my daughter's college and probably private parochial school, I probably won't be splurging on any more MB's for a while.

RobJohnson
05-01-2012, 07:04 PM
http://i46.tinypic.com/28bcj5x.jpg

The Audi looks nice.

I drive about 12 miles to work so miles are not an issue.

I did almost buy a vette at a car show two weekends ago. The price was right. The bank was still open....I walked away and never did call the guy back. I will hang onto the money as I have some better ideas.

SarasotaRepub
05-01-2012, 07:11 PM
I had an Audi 5000S and loved that car. I like the one you're looking at.

Articulate_Ape
05-01-2012, 07:22 PM
Something like this I hope.

http://youtu.be/SgHSaNtAMjs

Retread
05-01-2012, 07:36 PM
We want to replace the current minivan with a wagon - but not a crossover or such but a real wagon. The Ford Flex looked real good until we found only the front seats to be adjustable. What we are finding is that NO ONE builds what we need.
My wife’s ideal would be a vehicle with occasional seating for 5 and space for a lift for her power chair. We are currently in a 2000 Olds silhouette with 4 captains chairs and one of the 3rd row seats removed. This works but the ride is a little stiff and sway is excessive (yes, we have owned it since 1999 but have put up with the problems). My wife would prefer a ride more like her 1993 Olds 98 but the idea of a bumper mounted chair lift completely puts her off. She prefers it to be housed inside the vehicle.
We have consulted with an adaptive driving outfit but they have no recommendations beyond the three minivans that comprise the major portion of their sales, Toyota, Odyssey and the Caravan/Town & Country.
The “station wagon” model seems perfect but none we’ve looked at have the adaptability either from the seat problem with the Ford to the vertically short doors of a Volvo.

Lanie
05-01-2012, 09:02 PM
Probably a Buick. It's been my last three cars and they're pretty good.

Starbuck
05-01-2012, 11:52 PM
For ME?

The Subaru Outback 3.0. But that's likely to be a while. The last new car I bought for me was in 1990 and I'm still driving it; a GMC Sierra 4X4 Shortbed with a 5.7 liter V8, bucket seats, sunroof, and a whopping 400,000 miles on it. Took it for a ride today, in fact. Man, those pipes sound great!

Think I'll take the 4X4 hooks off the front and have them painted red to match the truck - that'll look good.

Yeah. It's going to be a while.:adoration:

Starbuck
05-01-2012, 11:54 PM
Probably a Buick. It's been my last three cars and they're pretty good.

Lanie... LANIE!....Wake up! That's a GM car.:biggrin-new:

Janice
05-02-2012, 12:22 AM
http://i.imgur.com/RELWk.jpg

We may be lookin at somethin along the lines of a rickshaw. We are fast running out of glue, rubber bands, baling wire and duct tape. Its amazing how fast the miles add up when you have to drive so far to engage in any kind of meaningful business. Fortunately we still have our old bicycles.

Actually its not quite that bad yet ... but the writing on the wall (survival mode) is not far behind. What do they say? Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst? Im thinking we (as a country and (for many of us) individually) havent hit bottom yet. You should see all the empty houses with all the belongings sitting next to the curb I see when I go cruising for yard sales. No delusions here. I hope I have enough boots and the GOP grows a pair, but Im pretty sure I know the outcome of that equation.

Rockntractor
05-02-2012, 12:44 AM
http://i.imgur.com/RELWk.jpg

We may be lookin at somethin along the lines of a rickshaw.

I'll have to settle for just the shaw, I don't think I could afford Rick to pull it.
A Rockashaw.

Chuck58
05-02-2012, 01:47 AM
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ-k2MyVkOeY6fR2L1Szj-zhijKozb3295oZpsQoos_aZFUpjUQ

In a few months, Ford Escape. We have a 2008 and it's been absolutely trouble free. We're keeping it and getting a 2013. The wife will get it and I'll use the 2008.

I was leery about it when we got it, especially the computerized 4wd and traction control feature, but it's proved itself repeatedly. We live about a quarter mile off the road on a dirt trail that becomes a mud bog in spring as snow melts. The Escape never failed, whether in 2+ feet of snow, *edit* as long as you remember to stop and clean the snow out of the radiator, or 8+ inches of thick, gooey mud. And, the V6 engine manages 24 to 25 mpg on the highway.

marinejcksn
05-02-2012, 08:47 AM
Probably another Mazda 3. My 2004 version got a new transmission at 100k so hopefully I'll get a few more years outta the girl. I'm loving not having a car payment and don't want to have to start again too soon!

namvet
05-02-2012, 11:12 AM
im hanging on to my 95 4X4 truck. 125,000 and still runs fine. and paid off. car payments are not an option now

Novaheart
05-02-2012, 11:25 AM

No matter what they're called, I like the "wagons".

Our last station wagon was a Mercury Montego. I mention that, because it's what I compare new wagons to. I don't expect them to match the sheer size (width mostly) of the Montego, but something I wish car manufacturers would take into account is utility.

Our Montego wagon's cargo floor was metal. The back of the folding passenger seats was metal. It got scratched, but that was what it was for. It got wet and muddy, and you could clean it with paper towels and some windex. The carpet was dark green. The seats were vinyl. The interior of that car looked almost as good the day it was traded in (10 years later) as the the day we brought it home. Children, boats, animals, boxes, tools, bicycles, and all sorts of things have been hauled inside that wagon.

When I went looking for a new truck back in 2008 I wanted some basic things, things which you would expect any truck to have. I wanted vinyl seats, so that when I do yardwork or go to the beach I wouldn't mess up the upholstery. I wanted smooth surfaces which could be cleaned. I wanted vinryl floor mats which could be removed and hosed off, and metal floors with drain holes. Was it too much to ask for what is supposed to be a utility vehicle?

I found one such vehicle- the Ford Ranger. Unfortunately, everything else about it was an insult... except for the stake holes in the bed rails which would have been handy. But overall, I simply couldn't pay for the stripped down Ford Ranger when the basic Toyota Tacoma was such a better value.

noonwitch
05-02-2012, 11:32 AM
I'm loving my 2012 Ford Focus. I used about 12 gallons of gas to drive 400 miles over the weekend.

My mom used part of her inheritence to order a 2012 red convertable Mustang. She's waiting to here from the dealership as to when it will be delivered. I'm hoping she has it by Mother's Day, so we can all see it and my sister's kids can take rides in it. I think she's going to have a fun summer-she ditched the creepy boyfriend right around the time Grandpa died.

Lanie
05-02-2012, 12:22 PM
Lanie... LANIE!....Wake up! That's a GM car.:biggrin-new:

I don't buy cars new. It's okay.

linda22003
05-02-2012, 12:33 PM
My husband bought a 2012 Subaru Forester last week - grey leather interior, dark red exterior. He's enjoying it. :)

Novaheart
05-02-2012, 02:40 PM
My husband bought a 2012 Subaru Forester last week - grey leather interior, dark red exterior. He's enjoying it. :)

Is he a hippie?

linda22003
05-02-2012, 02:52 PM
Is he a hippie?

Considering he wrote a check for the purchase, I'd have to say no.