PDA

View Full Version : Stupid Commercials

NJCardFan
05-01-2012, 09:43 PM
Is the new strategy now to make the stupidest commercial possible? Every single commercial I've seen in the last 10 minutes were stupid beyond belief and what's worse, I can't remember the product they're supposed to be endorsing.

Articulate_Ape
05-01-2012, 09:52 PM
THANK YOU!! I am not the only one! WTF?

Articulate_Ape
05-01-2012, 09:59 PM
http://youtu.be/XYievw9WFBc

SaintLouieWoman
05-01-2012, 10:28 PM
Is the new strategy now to make the stupidest commercial possible? Every single commercial I've seen in the last 10 minutes were stupid beyond belief and what's worse, I can't remember the product they're supposed to be endorsing.

Sometimes it's impossible to tell what they're pitching. They're not getting the biggest bang for their buck for their advertisers in my humble opinion

Retread
05-01-2012, 10:34 PM
I thought it was just me....

I see one I like about once a day.

Rockntractor
05-01-2012, 10:46 PM
I like the 'I've been good' dog.

NJCardFan
05-02-2012, 04:01 AM
Let me give you examples of what I consider a stupid commercial: There's one where there are 2 women talking to each other, well, sobbing to each other, with subtitles. What's the product? Damned if I know. Then I saw another for some chain greasy spoon where the waitress is acting out their menu. What was the restaurant? Damned if I know. You want genius in advertising? The JG Wentworth commercials. Who doesn't know that song by heart? There are entire products and places I do not patronize because their commercials were so stupid. Hell, I didn't drink Snapple for years because of their stupid ad campaign showing Snapple bottles fornicating.

Constitutionally Speaking
05-02-2012, 06:27 AM
Let me give you examples of what I consider a stupid commercial: There's one where there are 2 women talking to each other, well, sobbing to each other, with subtitles. What's the product? Damned if I know. Then I saw another for some chain greasy spoon where the waitress is acting out their menu. What was the restaurant? Damned if I know. You want genius in advertising? The JG Wentworth commercials. Who doesn't know that song by heart? There are entire products and places I do not patronize because their commercials were so stupid. Hell, I didn't drink Snapple for years because of their stupid ad campaign showing Snapple bottles fornicating.

I hate the sobbing women commercial also - I turn the channels when it comes on (they are pitching a phone by the way)

The other one I hate is Coors one where their whole ad is about the LABEL or the bottle instead of the product.

namvet
05-02-2012, 11:15 AM
thank god for the mute button

Janice
05-02-2012, 11:33 AM
This among other reasons is why I gave up TV about 10 years ago. Much of the programming isnt much better. And the news ... well, thats the worst part. Besides the commercials. :cool:

noonwitch
05-02-2012, 11:37 AM
Sometimes it's impossible to tell what they're pitching. They're not getting the biggest bang for their buck for their advertisers in my humble opinion

No, it's not. They are always selling the same thing-sex. Buy this car, you'll get laid. Drink this beer, you'll get laid. Charley Murphy is cooking Johnsonville Brats so he can get laid.

Lanie
05-02-2012, 12:17 PM
I think the idea is to be funny and to catch people's attention that way.

I really like car insurance commercials. They're funny.

Lanie
05-02-2012, 12:19 PM

Call JG Wentworth. 877-CASH-NOOOOOOOOOOOW. Call now!

lol.

Could you imagine people actually screaming out their windows "It's my money, and I want it now?"

Molon Labe
05-02-2012, 03:01 PM
thank god for the mute button

DVR is a lifesaver too. Can't believe they haven't been outlawed. Just tape the 1 hour show and watch it in 40 minutes.

NJCardFan
05-02-2012, 10:50 PM
I think the idea is to be funny and to catch people's attention that way.

I really like car insurance commercials. They're funny.

As an old advertising major, they are failing miserably. A stupid commercial can cause someone to change channels or tune it out or in my case, not but the product because the commercial is so stupid.

NJCardFan
05-02-2012, 10:50 PM
DVR is a lifesaver too. Can't believe they haven't been outlawed. Just tape the 1 hour show and watch it in 40 minutes.

onDemand is better. Watch the show with zero commercials and nothing to fast forward.

Apache
05-02-2012, 11:00 PM
I really hate to admit this. The Allstate "mayhem" commercials are the best... as far as ads go :evil-grin:

Rockntractor
05-02-2012, 11:12 PM
No, it's not. They are always selling the same thing-sex. Buy this car, you'll get laid. Drink this beer, you'll get laid. Charley Murphy is cooking Johnsonville Brats so he can get laid.

http://www.smiley-lol.com/smiley/heureux/lol/mdr-ordi.gif

Retread
05-02-2012, 11:29 PM
I really hate to admit this. The Allstate "mayhem" commercials are the best... as far as ads go :evil-grin:

Sorry boss but those are amongst the most stupid in my book.

noonwitch
05-03-2012, 11:50 AM

I like the actor, he was on HBO's OZ, playing the sociopathic Ryan O'Reilly.

I also like the Farmer's ads, which also feature a former actor on OZ, the guy who played white supremecist Schillenger. Those ads are hilarious, where he is the teacher to the new agents, and he's creating disasters for them to deal with, like the huge lint ball he set on fire.

Rockntractor
05-04-2012, 05:27 PM
I'm tired of Debbie Boones you light up my life saggy faced plastic surgery commercial.
I heard the song so many times when she came out with it I wanted to vomit chunks then, now they play the first three words of it every 20 minutes on Fox, I want to scream!http://www.smiley-lol.com/smiley/asile/camisole.gif

Retread
05-04-2012, 06:19 PM
:curse: Nationwide Ins.

NJCardFan
05-05-2012, 11:07 AM

I also like the Farmer's ads, which also feature a former actor on OZ, the guy who played white supremecist Schillenger. Those ads are hilarious, where he is the teacher to the new agents, and he's creating disasters for them to deal with, like the huge lint ball he set on fire.

He's better as J. Jonah Jameson

Odysseus
05-05-2012, 01:16 PM

Years ago, I did a stint in the recruiting command for the National Guard Bureau where I took some of the promotional materials and created a fake ad, which had my boss in stitches. I took a photo of a troopie who had a bit of a wiseass smirk on his face, Photoshopped a few lipstick imprints on him, and added the following copy:

It’s The Uniform

Okay, forget about the college fund. You’re barely getting through high school. We’ll stop telling you about career opportunities in fields that you can’t spell. Forget that crap. We really do understand you. We were young once. We know exactly what you want.

You want to get laid.

No problem.

Here’s the deal: You join the Army National Guard this year, go away to basic training for the summer, we’ll get you seriously buffed, teach you to inflict pain and put money in your pocket, and then, instead of sending you to some third world hellhole like the active army does, we’ll put you back home. You’ll come back in September totally ripped, with cash, a military wardrobe (chicks dig uniforms) and the combat skills to stuff jocks in their gym lockers. You’ll be lethal. Girls love tough guys. You’ll get more bumper than a body shop. Just call 1 (800) GO GUARD and we’ll hook you up. We’ve been there. We know.

Insurance companies seem to have the best advertising campaigns at the moment. Geico's various spots are pretty clever, and the Farmer's and Progressive spots aren't bad either. I also really like the deadpan guy who trashes two identical cars to demonstrate the money saved, although they need to make the company name more prominent.