PDA

View Full Version : Usa vs. Other Countries

Deadhead
05-02-2012, 01:59 AM
Was wondering for those who have traveled abroad, how would you compare the United States to other places you've visited. See, I grew up in England, but would spend 6 weeks out of the year here in Georgia with my grandma. I remember the thing I always looked forward to most was her cooking. Next to my beloved Thai food, I feel that the American south has the absolute best food in the world. The people here are also alot friendlier than they are in England and some of the other places in Europe I've been too.

However, I do have to say that overall I would say that England is more booksmart than America. Hell, the average Brit could probably tell you more about the American Civil War than your average American. Also, London is a pretty cool town, but a bit too overcrowded for me

Also, music here is alot better. I hate whiny British bands. Radiohead, Morrissey, Coldplay....they all suck. As my name probably says, I love American bluegrass/folk/country/psychadelic.

on edit: American tv is also a million times better than British, with a few notable exceptions like Doctor Who, Sherlock, etc

So overall, how do you think America stacks up against the rest of the world?

NJCardFan
05-02-2012, 02:47 AM
Can't say that I've been outside this country unless the 5 hours I spent in England count, however, I have a lot of experience dealing with people from other countries here and must say that when it comes to Europeans, I'm not impressed. Rude and obnoxious isn't the word for it. Want to experience foreigners and hate them afterward? Go to Disney. As for people from other places besides Europe, Canadians are by far the coolest. I said Canadians and not Quebecers. They are worse than Euros.

m00
05-02-2012, 03:57 AM
So overall, how do you think America stacks up against the rest of the world?

America is fantastic. Unfortunately, Americans are a pack of self-righteous idiots who are easily fooled by the political class using the simplest of psychological tricks.

We pay a stupid amount of a taxes, and get no benefits. In my mind there are two correct paths - get more value for our money (in terms of services), or pay less money.

Republicans: "You can't demand more value for your money! That's communism! Anything less than wasteful spending is supporting terrorism! We need to open up yet another ineffective, overreaching, domestic spy agency to make sure you have nothing to hide."

Democrats: "If you pay us more taxes, we'll be more efficient. We promise. We need to open up yet another, ineffective, overreaching regulating entity to make sure you don't do anything we don't like. Oh, and we need to raise taxes to pay for it. What, you want us to go into debt?"

Never have I seen a country where none of the major political parties even pretend to work for the people and at the same time the people are convinced their side does.

NJCardFan
05-02-2012, 04:04 AM
America is fantastic. Unfortunately, Americans are a pack of self-righteous idiots who are easily fooled by the political class using the simplest of psychological tricks.

We pay a stupid amount of a taxes, and get no benefits. In my mind there are two correct paths - get more value for our money (in terms of services), or pay less money.

Republicans: "You can't demand more value for your money! That's communism! Anything less than wasteful spending is supporting terrorism! We need to open up yet another ineffective, overreaching, domestic spy agency to make sure you have nothing to hide."

Democrats: "If you pay us more taxes, we'll be more efficient. We promise. We need to open up yet another, ineffective, overreaching regulating entity to make sure you don't do anything we don't like. Oh, and we need to raise taxes to pay for it. What, you want us to go into debt?"

Never have I seen a country where none of the major political parties even pretend to work for the people and at the same time the people are convinced their side does.
There are countries that are far worse. England for one.

m00
05-02-2012, 04:11 AM
There are countries that are far worse. England for one.

I've never lived in England, but I hear things are pretty bad there. Lots of chavs. In my imagination, all of England resembles Detroit.

Gina
05-02-2012, 08:24 AM
I've never lived in England, but I hear things are pretty bad there. Lots of chavs. In my imagination, all of England resembles Detroit.

What an insult to say anything resembles Detroit! :lemo:

I've visited the Netherlands, Germany and Belgium. Both of the former were wonderful. Kinda small but lovely too. Most people in the Netherlands praised the US for saving them during the war (the older people did, the younger people were punk rocker types). Germany is beautiful. Belgium was bogus, the shop keepers tried to rip us off at every turn by giving wrong change for example.

The US is #1, but that doesn't mean I hate everyplace else.

noonwitch
05-02-2012, 11:09 AM
Detroit bashing is so easy.

Today is my 25th anniversary at work, in "The Ultimate Social Work Challenge".

Deadhead
05-02-2012, 12:18 PM
Few more things I thought of. In England, no one I knew had a gun. I mean, NO ONE. Here in Georgia, just about every single person I know has at least one gun in their home. Also, the only people I knew were Christians were really old men. I actually knew alot more Muslims growing up. All of them very nice. One of em even sang in a Red Hot Chili Peppers cover band. And even then, none of them took their religion as seriously as people do here in America. That's not a judgment call or anything, just stating what it was like

As for other places, Germany was beautiful, very nice(and loud) people. France is....ok. The wine is good, but Paris is extremely expensive. The French countryside however is se magnifique. Ireland is absolutely gorgeous and Irishmen are about the most fun people to get drunk with ever. Russia was like stepping into a black and white movie. I was accosted no less than ten times in Red Square from somebody trying to sell me something. Was just cold and dreary.

Across the pond, Jamaica is a pretty cool place. I stayed on a resort in Montego Bay and enjoyed all the cheap ganja the locals sold me. Also, the resort had a swim up bar that was pretty damn awesome. Nice people, but stick to the tourist spots. I paid a guy to take me to Nine Mile to see Bob Marley's mausoleum and the non tourist areas are really dirty and didn't look very safe

Deadhead
05-02-2012, 12:27 PM
Not quite yet, but you're not too far off. Why do you think I chose to live in America?

Gina
05-02-2012, 12:44 PM

No offense intended. Social workers will never be out of work here in Michigan. God love 'em! :adoration:

NJCardFan
05-02-2012, 10:34 PM

Try working in Camden.

Rockntractor
05-02-2012, 10:35 PM
Not quite yet, but you're not too far off. Why do you think I chose to live in America?

It makes for a good story?

SarasotaRepub
05-02-2012, 10:53 PM
Try working in Camden.

Dear God!!! I drove thru Camden. Once.

Rockntractor
05-02-2012, 11:04 PM

You mentioned using your step moms kindle in an earlier post, didn't your parents choose America and move you here?

Zeus
05-02-2012, 11:14 PM
Not to make this a pissing contest between England & the USA but I have to question the comment about England being more book smart than the USA.

The Top 50 Inventions of the Past 50 Years

Read more: The Top 50 Inventions of the Past 50 Years - Popular Mechanics (http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/gadgets/news/2078467#ixzz1tlv4eX8t)

Out of those 50 care to guess how many were from England and how many from the USA. If you guessed 0 from England & 50 from the USA you would be correct.

Americans are by and large a spoiled society,some deservedly so some not so deservedly. The avg poor american enjoys a higher standard of living than the middle class of most countries of the world. The US was the first country and remains one of only a few in the world where your station in life isn't determined at birth. Warts and all it's still the best game going.

Edited to add: I was mistaken a few of the 50 were invented outside the US but not in England.

Deadhead
05-03-2012, 12:28 AM
Not to make this a pissing contest between England & the USA but I have to question the comment about England being more book smart than the USA.

Read more: The Top 50 Inventions of the Past 50 Years - Popular Mechanics (http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/gadgets/news/2078467#ixzz1tlv4eX8t)

Out of those 50 care to guess how many were from England and how many from the USA. If you guessed 0 from England & 50 from the USA you would be correct.

Americans are by and large a spoiled society,some deservedly so some not so deservedly. The avg poor american enjoys a higher standard of living than the middle class of most countries of the world. The US was the first country and remains one of only a few in the world where your station in life isn't determined at birth. Warts and all it's still the best game going.

Edited to add: I was mistaken a few of the 50 were invented outside the US but not in England.
I absolutely agree with you about America having the best game going. What I meant was that I felt that your average british joe was maybe slightly smarter than your average american. That's all.

Hawkgirl
05-03-2012, 01:40 AM
Try working in Camden.
Camden is like Little Haiti in Miami-Dade. You don't stop at red lights.

noonwitch
05-03-2012, 10:40 AM
Try working in Camden.

I'll stick with the city I know and love. At least we have major league sports, a thriving medical center and 2 universities.

Zeus
05-03-2012, 10:56 AM
I absolutely agree with you about America having the best game going. What I meant was that I felt that your average british joe was maybe slightly smarter than your average american. That's all.

In the 80's I was in the Military for 8 yrs. of those 8 I spent about 6 in Europe all total. I did spend 4 1/2 months in Honduras but that's a different story. While in Europe I was fortunate enough to get to do a lot of travelling on Uncle Sam's dime and take my wife at the time with me. The only place we didn't go was England. Because of my MOS ( my Job) I was forbidden to travel to any Soviet Bloc country, England and some lil Bodunk country I can't recall the name of.
It was my experiences in Europe that brought me to the realization of what we in the US take so much for granted while other countries marvel at , Well ok some may despise us for also.

Freedom of movement , Availability and multitude of consumer choices , the economic wherewithal to afford those choices and the military clout to not only defend ourselves but ally's as well ( That one brought some disdain from some Europeans).

Lot of my German friends just could not believe That my family of Farmers owned and worked 1500 acres of land,their heads would explode now if they knew now the family farms approximately 6000 acres.

Hawkgirl
05-03-2012, 12:39 PM
I have been to Germany (Frankfurt), London, all over Italy and I stopped at a Godiva counter at the Belgium Airport during a stop over. Belgium wins, hands down.:love_heart:

But seriously, I'll take the good ol' USA over any Eurotrash city. Of course I do love Rome and the history it exudes as you're walking through the city and visiting the sites. In fact, If I were to choose anywhere to live, other than the US, It would be Rome...but USA is still Number 1.

I recall a visit to Sicily, my birthplace, and riding on a train to Palermo and the train missed it's stop (drinking conductor?) So what does the conductor do? He goes backwards a mile to the stop he missed. I was holding my breath.

bijou
05-03-2012, 03:28 PM

Sir Tim Berners-Lee and Alec Jeffrey may beg to differ. :smile-new:

Zeus
05-03-2012, 04:42 PM
Sir Tim Berners-Lee and Alec Jeffrey may beg to differ. :smile-new:

A professor at MIT, Cambridge, MA is in the US. On Jeffrey I stand corrected. :Flag2:

bijou
05-03-2012, 04:58 PM
A professor at MIT, Cambridge, MA is in the US. On Jeffrey I stand corrected. :Flag2:

Berners-Lee moved to the US but he invented 'the internet' before he moved.

Madisonian
05-03-2012, 06:48 PM
What an insult to say anything resembles Detroit! :lemo:

I've visited the Netherlands, Germany and Belgium. Both of the former were wonderful. Kinda small but lovely too. Most people in the Netherlands praised the US for saving them during the war (the older people did, the younger people were punk rocker types). Germany is beautiful. Belgium was bogus, the shop keepers tried to rip us off at every turn by giving wrong change for example.

The US is #1, but that doesn't mean I hate everyplace else.

Having Benton Harlem er... Harbor in your backyard on the sunset side of the state does not give one much room to criticize.:biggrin-new:

JB
05-03-2012, 06:51 PM
Packet Switching is elegant but all in all I would argue the Internet is poorly designed.

Retread
05-03-2012, 07:11 PM
Packet Switching is elegant but all in all I would argue the Internet is poorly designed.

extremely so but I thought that was owlboring's fault.