PDA

View Full Version : MItt Romney is not the first millionaire candidate to come from Massachusetts

Gina
05-02-2012, 08:43 AM
Democrats, from President Obama on down, might want to look up some inconvenient truths before they keep criticizing Mitt Romney for being a Massachusetts millionaire.

In 2004, when Massachusetts Senator John Kerry ran as the Democratic presidential nominee, Kerry’s financial disclosure forms revealed his assets as between $165 and $626 million—almost certainly dwarfing Romney’s financially disclosed net worth of between $190 and $250 million.
-
Of course, Romney made his money the old-fashioned way. He earned it with his own brains and skills, working his way up in the management consulting and private equity businesses.
Kerry, on the other hand, married his wealth.

People who have money don't hate other people who have money (http://www.foxnews.com/opinion/2012/04/30/mitt-romney-is-not-first-millionaire-candidate-to-come-from-massachusetts/?cmpid=NL_BestofOpinion)

noonwitch
05-02-2012, 11:00 AM
Not to mention that JFK, RFK and Teddy all had presidential runs, even if Teddy never made it out of the primaries. Technically, neither did RFK, but he was murdered.

linda22003
05-02-2012, 01:56 PM
Of course, Romney made his money the old-fashioned way. He earned it with his own brains and skills

And his dad was the head of an automotive corporation.....

Gina
05-02-2012, 02:10 PM
Romney speaks frequently on the trail about his father’s humble upbringing. Born in Mexico, George Romney eventually moved to the United States where he was a lath and plaster apprentice who would sell paint out of the trunk of car to make extra money, according to Romney.

George Romney went on to become a successful businessman, becoming the head of American Motors Corp. and later serving as the governor of Michigan from 1963 to 1969.
And while Romney inherited much of his father’s fortune when he died, he did not keep it, instead donating it to charity.

Linkie (http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/04/romney-rejects-obamas-silver-spoon-comment/)

:smile-new:

m00
05-02-2012, 05:01 PM
:smile-new:

Yeah but if you go into business the most important thing is the contacts. He gave away the money, but I'm sure he kept the Rolodex.

Gina
05-02-2012, 05:13 PM
Yeah but if you go into business the most important thing is the contacts. He gave away the money, but I'm sure he kept the Rolodex.

Nothing wrong with that. Imagine the contacts John Kerry has via his wife. I never bought into the theory that one should feel guilty for being born in America or coming from wealth. (Or marrying into it.)

m00
05-02-2012, 05:34 PM
Nothing wrong with that. Imagine the contacts John Kerry has via his wife. I never bought into the theory that one should feel guilty for being born in America or coming from wealth. (Or marrying into it.)

Big difference between feeling guilty and ignoring it in order to spin your "humble beginnings" / "I did this all on my own" narrative.

Zeus
05-02-2012, 07:51 PM
Big difference between feeling guilty and ignoring it in order to spin your "humble beginnings" / "I did this all on my own" narrative.

Except for some stocks Mitt got from his father as a gift,to help pay some school bills.Mitt did make his fortune on his own. Also his father didn't exactly make it to the "riches" until mitt was on his own. You can split hairs about what is "humble beginnings" but Nothing was given to Romney.