PDA

View Full Version : CIA thwarts new al-Qaida underwear bomb plot

Gina
05-08-2012, 12:57 PM
Link (http://dailycaller.com/2012/05/07/us-cia-thwarts-new-al-qaida-underwear-bomb-plot/#ixzz1uIX4JVTE)

WASHINGTON (AP) — At the FBI’s explosives lab in Virginia, experts are picking apart a sophisticated new al-Qaida bomb to figure out whether it could have slipped past airport security and taken down a commercial airplane, U.S. officials said.

The unexploded bomb represents an intelligence prize, the result of a covert CIA operation in Yemen that thwarted a suicide mission around the anniversary of the killing of Osama bin Laden, officials said. The device did not contain metal, meaning it probably could have passed through an airport metal detector. But it was not clear whether new body scanners used in many airports would have detected it.

The device is an upgrade of the underwear bomb that failed to detonate aboard a jetliner over Detroit on Christmas 2009. This new bomb was also designed to be used in a passenger’s underwear, but this time al-Qaida developed a more refined detonation system, U.S. officials said.

President Barack Obama had been monitoring the operation since last month, the White House said Monday evening. White House spokeswoman Caitlin Hayden said the president was assured the device posed no threat to the public.

“The president thanks all intelligence and counterterrorism professionals involved for their outstanding work and for serving with the extraordinary skill and commitment that their enormous responsibilities demand,” Hayden said.

The operation unfolded even as the White House and Homeland Security Department assured the public that they knew of no al-Qaida plots against the U.S. around the May 2 anniversary of bin Laden’s death in a raid by Navy SEALs on his compound in Abbottabad, Pakistan.

On May 1, the Homeland Security Department said, “We have no indication of any specific, credible threats or plots against the U.S. tied to the one-year anniversary of bin Laden’s death.”
And if anyone doubts the MSM is liberal:

The AP learned about the thwarted plot last week but agreed to White House and CIA requests not to publish it immediately because the sensitive intelligence operation was still under way. Once officials said those concerns were allayed, the AP decided to disclose the plot Monday despite requests from the Obama administration to wait for an official announcement Tuesday.
How many times did the media rush to out secret info under President Bush?

noonwitch
05-08-2012, 01:03 PM
I'm just surprised that al Queda seems to be trying to perfect the underwear bomb after the first total failure. They really aren't all that creative or adaptive.

Do they really think TSA won't go there? Because I've seen lots of videos of out of control TSA agents, and I really don't think they have any problems checking out people's underwear.

Odysseus
05-08-2012, 01:41 PM
I'm just surprised that al Queda seems to be trying to perfect the underwear bomb after the first total failure. They really aren't all that creative or adaptive.

There is an al Qaeda engineer, toiling in obscurity, who waxes eloquent about the need for incendiary undergarments, who draws his inspiration from other pioneers who did not abandon their work after their initial setbacks. That engineer, who spends his days deeply researching the possibilities of explosive underwear, is one of the unsung heroes of the Global Jihad. Just as Orville and Wilbur Wright were told, "If man were meant to fly, he'd have wings," so too has that engineer been told, "If man were meant to violently explode from his pants, Allah (PBUH) would have given him 72 virgins in this life!" Someday, when young men are detonating their crotches, exploding their rectums and busting their balls with his technological breakthrough, he will be recognized for his genius! :friendly_wink:

Rockntractor
05-08-2012, 01:59 PM
Bunch of panty wastes going off half cocked!

Odysseus
05-08-2012, 04:22 PM
Bunch of panty wastes going off half cocked!

Now now, don't get your panties in a bunch. They might go off. :evil-grin:

Hawkgirl
05-08-2012, 04:36 PM
Great job CIA.

They don't get enough credit for their successes.

namvet
05-09-2012, 09:26 AM
wonder if anyone told Obozo yet???

Gina
05-09-2012, 11:22 AM
UPDATE! (http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/05/08/al-qaeda-bomber-was-cia-informant-officials-say/?cmpid=NL_morningHL)

Would-be Al Qaeda bomber was CIA informant, officials say

WASHINGTON – The would-be bomber in the airline plot was actually working as a U.S. intelligence informant, but the CIA had Al Qaeda fooled from the start.

Fox News has learned that a government source familiar with intelligence confirmed that an international sting operation infiltrated the Al Qaeda cell. The informant was apparently one and the same as the bomber got the device out.

Last month, U.S. intelligence learned that Al Qaeda's Yemen branch hoped to launch a spectacular attack using a new, nearly undetectable bomb aboard an airliner bound for America, officials say.

But the man the terrorists were counting on to carry out the attack was actually working for the CIA and Saudi intelligence, U.S. and Yemeni officials told The Associated Press on Tuesday.

The dramatic sting operation thwarted the attack before it had a chance to succeed.

Molon Labe
05-09-2012, 11:45 AM
UPDATE! (http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/05/08/al-qaeda-bomber-was-cia-informant-officials-say/?cmpid=NL_morningHL)

Would-be Al Qaeda bomber was CIA informant, officials say

real good job CIA. :rolleyes:

You can't "foil" a terror plot, when you helped set it up and knew about it before it was conceived.

another real good job for the Obama administration too.

ABC in Georgia
05-09-2012, 02:01 PM

You can't "foil" a terror plot, when you helped set it up and knew about it before it was conceived.

Hey Molon ...

Lay off the CIA. Is an "independent" agency set up to help and work with the government in power, to protect this country at the behest of the President. Their operations are designed to be covert and I detest it when they are accidently or purposely, exposed to the public.

These agents take their lives in their hands on a daily basis in order to do their highly risky jobs. Could you possibly imagine how much "intelligence" and guts it took to infiltrate Al Qaida in the first place, and then get out alive after?

All of the above ... I must admit, written by an advocate of author Vince Flynn's unflinching "Mitch Rapp" character! ... :cool:

Never-the-less, I did mean every word of what I wrote.

~ ABC

Molon Labe
05-09-2012, 05:06 PM
Hey Molon ...

Lay off the CIA. Is an "independent" agency set up to help and work with the government in power, to protect this country at the behest of the President. Their operations are designed to be covert and I detest it when they are accidently or purposely, exposed to the public.

These agents take their lives in their hands on a daily basis in order to do their highly risky jobs. Could you possibly imagine how much "intelligence" and guts it took to infiltrate Al Qaida in the first place, and then get out alive after?

All of the above ... I must admit, written by an advocate of author Vince Flynn's unflinching "Mitch Rapp" character! ... :cool:

Never-the-less, I did mean every word of what I wrote.

~ ABC

I believe they are part of the problem. I don't believe they are flag waving "Patriots". They are not called the "Presiden'ts Personal Army" for nothing.

Lager
05-09-2012, 07:57 PM
It worries me how much information was released about this operation unneccessarily. The fact is that Al Qaida will now be much more wary of dealing with a possible CIA plant. Had we kept much of this hidden and only released what was necessary for public safety, how much more could we have come up with in the future? How much of this reporting is for informing the masses and how much is to show the POTUS as achieving something on the war on terror?

ABC in Georgia
05-09-2012, 09:19 PM
I believe they are part of the problem. I don't believe they are flag waving "Patriots". They are not called the "Presiden'ts Personal Army" for nothing.

Molon ... first a couple of questions, then will reply to your post.

Do you not believe that the USA is the last bastion of freedom in our ever-changing present day world? ... I do.

Do you believe that *if* our middle-eastern enemies and especially Al Qaida, can bring us to our knees ... that the rest of the countries will not all fall like dominoes ... leaving them (the Islamists) ... free to finally establish their longed for precious dream of a World Caliphate? ... I most definitely do.

Now back to my faith in the CIA.

Is the present Director of the CIA, David H. Petraeus, as were those that came before him, capable of making mistakes in judgement? Of course he is, as were they. No human being is infallible.

I do not have what it takes to second guess their decisions in what to do in order to look out for our National Security ... and neither do you, my friend. ... :smile-new:

~ ABC (gotta run!)

ABC in Georgia
05-09-2012, 09:30 PM
It worries me how much information was released about this operation unneccessarily. The fact is that Al Qaida will now be much more wary of dealing with a possible CIA plant. Had we kept much of this hidden and only released what was necessary for public safety, how much more could we have come up with in the future? How much of this reporting is for informing the masses and how much is to show the POTUS as achieving something on the war on terror?

:thumbsup: Lager ... I agree 100%

~ ABC

Molon Labe
05-10-2012, 08:28 AM
Molon ... first a couple of questions, then will reply to your post.

Do you not believe that the USA is the last bastion of freedom in our ever-changing present day world? ... I do.

Do you believe that *if* our middle-eastern enemies and especially Al Qaida, can bring us to our knees ... that the rest of the countries will not all fall like dominoes ... leaving them (the Islamists) ... free to finally establish their longed for precious dream of a World Caliphate? ... I most definitely do.

Now back to my faith in the CIA.

Is the present Director of the CIA, David H. Petraeus, as were those that came before him, capable of making mistakes in judgement? Of course he is, as were they. No human being is infallible.

I do not have what it takes to second guess their decisions in what to do in order to look out for our National Security ... and neither do you, my friend. ... :smile-new:

~ ABC (gotta run!)

I believe I am "supposed" to live in a free society. I believe we are far from what we once were regarding being a totally free society. Our constitution hasn't truly been followed in a generation or more. And our Founders believed we should question what government does and should do. The true patriot resists government abuse of power.

So, yes, I do have what it takes to second guess what anyone or any group does in the publics name of our National security. We do that everyday when we say this or that person is better suited to protect us. The government works for me...not the other way around. That is my birthright as an American.

I can think of at least 5 immediate threats to my nation and liberty that are far more serious and more likely than than a Muslim extremist group bringing us to our knees. We are far more likely to be destroyed by ourselves.

So my lack of faith in the CIA and federal institutions in general comes from their incompetancy. If you help create the problem (http://newsone.com/1205745/cia-osama-bin-laden-al-qaeda/) then you are part of it.

I love quotes by men more wise than I, and here are two that are applicable to this:

If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy. - James Madison

Over grown military establishments are under any form of government inauspicious to liberty, and are to be regarded as particularly hostile to republican liberty - George Washington

ABC in Georgia
05-10-2012, 11:16 AM
And our Founders believed we should question what government does and should do.

Yes, you are 100% correct Molon.

When I wrote this:

I do not have what it takes to "second guess" their decisions in what to do in order to look out for our National Security ... and neither do you, my friend. ...

I foolishly used the wrong words. What I was trying to get across was that neither you nor I, have access to the facts as do those in charge, nor the training needed to deal with them, once collected.

And neither you nor I, in that respect, are entitled to any input or alternate suggestions of any kind.

I love quotes by men more wise than I, and here are two that are applicable to this:

If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy. - James Madison

While that rings true ... (re all the garbage we are put through these days thanks to Homeland Security since 9-11) ... are we to sit back and simply wait for another attack, before doing anything about it to protect ourselves?

Over grown military establishments are under any form of government inauspicious to liberty, and are to be regarded as particularly hostile to republican liberty - George Washington

Can't really speak to whether ours are overgrown or not, as don't have facts at hand or time to look any up ... but will say, "I didn't think ours were growing in any direction at all lately, only being cut back, underfunded, etc."

~ ABC

Molon Labe
05-10-2012, 12:25 PM
What I was trying to get across was that neither you nor I, have access to the facts as do those in charge, nor the training needed to deal with them, once collected.

Sure there is. I believe there is enough open sourced information and historical references for people to educate themeselves on. You can read tons of open sourced references that speak to most of the questions you probably have about the GWOT. The problem is most people don't know where to look or don't really care to look. Many tend to get their info from Rachel Madcow or Sean Hannity and call it a day.

A good historical study of the CIA and doing a little institutional analysis of them has helped me conclude that they do more harm than good, and that they have been incompetant and abused their power. And that they serve the President with no Congressional oversight nor Public scrutiny. That is in direct conflict with a free and open society. Too many National Secrets does not equal a Free society.

If you want to be "protected" then what I'm saying is you might want to look into how the CIA helps perpetuate the danger.

ABC in Georgia
05-10-2012, 01:17 PM
Sure there is. I believe there is enough open sourced information and historical references for people to educate themeselves on.

I disagree. While yes, we can research our hearts out and keep informed as to what went on in the distant and near past, ... we the ordinary folks do not get "confidential daily intelligence briefings" on what is going on at the moment.

Many tend to get their info from Rachel Madcow or Sean Hannity and call it a day.

Rachel Madow ?!!! Lefty twits, perhaps. Am guilty, however, of streaming live radio on my computer, throughout the day when home, and listening to Neal Boortz and Rush Limbaugh.

Don't care much for Hannity, and would far rather read after dinner than watch TV anyway.

~ ABC

ABC in Georgia
05-10-2012, 01:33 PM
With apologies for being slightly off topic here guys ...

Gina, what have you done to me with this, one of my favorite topics, girl? ... :smile-new:

I have neither the time nor the *energy* left needed to indulge:

Indulge ~ Verb: Allow oneself to enjoy the pleasure of ... :blue:

... posting in your thread, as have a relative from England, arriving this coming Monday for a 2 week visit ... are going away this weekend to check on things at our place up in NC, ... and as usual am up to my eyebrows in things that need attending to back here.

Will check in again after dinner tonight and then will not be available for awhile.

Need to have myself cloned, I swear! ... :biggrin-new:

~ ABC

Gina
05-10-2012, 02:12 PM
Sorry ABC, I should have known since CIA is another 3 letter thing like you!

Odysseus
05-10-2012, 02:37 PM

another real good job for the Obama administration too.

Actually, that's exactly how you foil a terror plot. HUMINT is a critical capability, and it's nice to see the CIA using it for a change. However, by leaking that the operative was a plant, the CIA has created an OPSEC problem. AQIAP will now be on guard against infiltration to a far greater degree, and any other agents on the ground will be in greater jeopardy. Whoever leaked this needs to be found and subject to the full penalties of the law.

Molon Labe
05-10-2012, 03:53 PM
Actually, that's exactly how you foil a terror plot. HUMINT is a critical capability, and it's nice to see the CIA using it for a change. However, by leaking that the operative was a plant, the CIA has created an OPSEC problem. AQIAP will now be on guard against infiltration to a far greater degree, and any other agents on the ground will be in greater jeopardy. Whoever leaked this needs to be found and subject to the full penalties of the law.

ya...but in this case the HUMINT contact was designed to create the very terror plot the CIA is claiming it foiled.

The epitomy of idiocy is to "allegedly" fight something by creating more of it...then claim victory over it.

Odysseus
05-11-2012, 08:06 AM
ya...but in this case the HUMINT contact was designed to create the very terror plot the CIA is claiming it foiled.

The epitomy of idiocy is to "allegedly" fight something by creating more of it...then claim victory over it.

You have it backwards. The plot was ongoing and they got a double agent into the mix, who then provided information that led to a drone strike against the planner, who was a longstanding target.

Just because you don't like the CIA doesn't mean that they don't do the right thing once in a while. Give credit where it is due.

Molon Labe
05-11-2012, 09:56 AM
You have it backwards. The plot was ongoing and they got a double agent into the mix, who then provided information that led to a drone strike against the planner, who was a longstanding target.

Just because you don't like the CIA doesn't mean that they don't do the right thing once in a while. Give credit where it is due.

You have it backwards: No...I don't like the CIA because they have consistantly not done right thing. The military can and should handle its own OPSEC and Intel. We don't have a Joint military intelligence college for nothing.

Odysseus
05-11-2012, 10:41 AM
You have it backwards: No...I don't like the CIA because they have consistantly not done right thing. The military can and should handle its own OPSEC and Intel. We don't have a Joint military intelligence college for nothing.

The disposition of Intel responsibilities in the government is not the issue. You claimed that the CIA had created the threat and then eliminated it. They did not. The infiltrated an operative into an ongoing operation, and prevented it from going forward. They also were able to target the planner and his inner circle. Regardless of who you or I think ought to have done it, it was done and done well.

Now, the subsequent leak of this information and the exposure of the details is something else, and that needs to be fully investigated. This is the real problem with the CIA, that it is part of the State Department, and it shares the culture there. The State Department is notorious for leaks that undermine their leadership, especially when Republicans are in charge. That place needs a full-on housecleaning.

When Roosevelt first assigned Wild Bill Donovan to create the Office of the Coordinator of Information, he recognized that there was a gap in our intel capabilities that was the result of the priorities of the different services. The FBI, the Office of Naval Intelligence and the Army's Military Intelligence branch didn't share information, so if ONI discovered something that the Army needed to know, as often as not, it didn't get there, and vice versa. The COI was meant to gather all of the information gleaned from the military intelligence services and provide a common operating picture, and eventually, the capability to execute operations was added and it became the OSS. Now, the CIA has become the State Department's in-house intelligence service, with the same proprietary issues that the other agencies had. The US intelligence community needs another overhaul, similar to that one, with all of the intel agencies coming under a joint intel command, ideally at the cabinet level. This agency would be a coordination agency, with the capability of directing the other services to act on intel as needed, and the CIA's operational arm would go away.

Molon Labe
05-11-2012, 11:55 AM
The disposition of Intel responsibilities in the government is not the issue. You claimed that the CIA had created the threat and then eliminated it. They did not.

Sure they did. Would-be underwear bomber a double agent (http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-18563_162-57430472/would-be-underwear-bomber-a-double-agent/)

Brought the Bomb to the CIA willingly (http://www.theatlanticwire.com/national/2012/05/latest-underwear-bomber-was-actually-cia-spy/52080/#)

And, it's not just the CIA. The FEDS do it ALLthe time.

supposed explosive was a dummy that FBI operatives supplied to him, according to an affidavit in support of a criminal complaint signed by U.S. Magistrate Judge John V. Acosta

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NV_EgLVhucc

FBI thwarts it's own Drone bomb (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-15101449)

FBI thwarts own Suicide bomb terror plot...again (http://content.usatoday.com/communities/ondeadline/post/2012/02/nbc-fbi-nabs-suspect-in-alleged-bomb-plot-on-us-capitol/1#.Tz6tk1HtIhU)

so really, there was never really any terror threat to anyone, cause the little arab was working along with the "plan" all along.
I hope I'm not there on the day when the fake bomb is replaced with a real one.

In other Real News: Real terrorists are really killing US troops and civilians while we set up patsies.

and this (http://www.state.gov/j/ct/rls/other/des/123085.htm), from the US State Department's own website showing MEK listed as a "Foreign Terrorist Organization". Yet we are funding them with aid along with the UN, and British. In the 1970s, MEK killed three U.S. officers and three civilian contractors in Iran years ago and continues to do so today.

Bring back the good ol' days of the OSS.