PDA

View Full Version : 50+ Professors & Staff Resign From Christian University

Hubie
05-16-2012, 11:02 PM
Guess why.

http://www.theblaze.com/stories/50-professors-staff-resign-from-christian-university-after-refusing-to-sign-homosexuality-pledge/

Last October, news broke that Shorter University, a Christian college in Rome, Georgia, had decided to ask its employees to sign a controversial pledge that affirms that they are not engaging in homosexuality, among other forbidden activities. Now, after scores of employees refused to sign the document, the college, which is affiliated with the Georgia Baptist Convention, has reportedly received a massive number of resignations.

Rather than renewing their contracts with the private school, around 50 staffers (the NY Daily News reports that the number is closer to 60) refused to sign the “Personal Lifestyle Statement,” and simply decided to throw in the towel.

Shocking, but I think the university will benefit from it in the long run. Now if only we could get other Christian universities to do the same...

Janice
05-16-2012, 11:20 PM
http://i.imgur.com/t1d47.gif

noonwitch
05-17-2012, 09:02 AM
It's a private school, they have the right to enforce their own code of conduct.

I always wondered about the schools that made students sign contracts that they wouldn't listen to rock music, watch R rated movies, and so on. I know Wheaton, Liberty and some other Christian colleges did that when I was college-aged. I was surprised, because I don't think Calvin College made their students sign such a pledge.

Odysseus
05-17-2012, 09:45 AM
It's a private school, they have the right to enforce their own code of conduct.

I always wondered about the schools that made students sign contracts that they wouldn't listen to rock music, watch R rated movies, and so on. I know Wheaton, Liberty and some other Christian colleges did that when I was college-aged. I was surprised, because I don't think Calvin College made their students sign such a pledge.

The Calvin College students were predestined to not listen to rock music or watch R-rated movies. :biggrin-new:

noonwitch
05-17-2012, 11:00 AM
The Calvin College students were predestined to not listen to rock music or watch R-rated movies. :biggrin-new:

LOL.

Calvin students were wild in the 80s, they got away with stuff we never could have done at WMU. One of my coworkers at Steketee's lived in Calvin dorms and told me that they used to smoke weed openly in the dorm's tv room. We would have been in trouble for that, they actually enforced the age 21 drinking age at Western, to some degree. You couldn't walk around the halls with open beverages, for example, although they didn't stop you from drinking in your room.

Gina
05-17-2012, 12:02 PM

Bwaha!

Rockntractor
05-17-2012, 12:29 PM
I could not work for someone that was in my business that deep!

Zeus
05-17-2012, 02:01 PM
I could not work for someone that was in my business that deep!

many of the fortune 500 companies have "morals" clauses in their employment contracts for the upper echelon of employees. Have to protect the company name.

Rockntractor
05-17-2012, 02:08 PM
many of the fortune 500 companies have "morals" clauses in their employment contracts for the upper echelon of employees. Have to protect the company name.

That may be their right but no man owns me because of a job.

TVDOC
05-17-2012, 02:29 PM

Correct....had to sign one every year, morals clause, guidelines on "gifts and gratuities", employee conduct, sexual harassment.........on and on......

I never found them intrusive......mostly just common sense.

All upper-eschelon employees are required to execute and have these personally enshrined in their personnel file.

doc

JB
05-17-2012, 07:43 PM
Actual, incredibly irresponsible and sensationalistic headline from the article:

50+ Professors & Staff Resign From Christian University After Refusing to Sign Homosexuality Pledge

But it's not a homo pledge. It asks them not to have pre-marital sex (hetero or homo), commit adultery and not drink alcohol in front of the students.

To frame this as a homosexual bashing is completely irresponsible. Keep crying wolf douchebags.

Hubie
05-18-2012, 01:01 AM
What do you expect? The media to tell the truth about Christians?

Zeus
05-18-2012, 10:51 AM
Tis absolutely true but they do have the right to protect their company name and they don't owe you a job.

Rockntractor
05-18-2012, 11:05 AM
Tis absolutely true but they do have the right to protect their company name and they don't owe you a job.

I was looking through my post and I can't find where I said they did.

Rockntractor
05-18-2012, 11:18 AM
I think you misunderstand me here Zeus, I don't argue with it being the companies right.
If you own a company you should have the right to hire and fire at will, I' also have the right to stay away from companies that choose to delve deeply into my private business.
I have seen companies that require these pledges, don't forget I live in Tulsa OK.
We have Oral Roberts university, Kennith Hagen ministries and countless others in Tulsa.
They don't stop with the signed pledge, they are over your shoulder in every other aspect and detail in your life, it becomes a problem with some of them if you are not going to and tithing to their church.

noonwitch
05-18-2012, 12:41 PM

I have heard that ABC/ Disney requires it's stars to sign one-obviously not one that addresses sexual orientation, but one that addresses alcohol and substance abuse, public behavior, etc. Lindsay Lohan will probably never work for them again, for that reason. She won't even be able to get the mom roles when they re-make her movies in the future (which were of course remakes of Disney's movies from the 60s).

Elspeth
05-18-2012, 01:22 PM

We're on the same page, Rock.

Zeus
05-18-2012, 02:22 PM
I think you misunderstand me here Zeus, I don't argue with it being the companies right.
If you own a company you should have the right to hire and fire at will, I' also have the right to stay away from companies that choose to delve deeply into my private business.
I have seen companies that require these pledges, don't forget I live in Tulsa OK.
We have Oral Roberts university, Kennith Hagen ministries and countless others in Tulsa.
They don't stop with the signed pledge, they are over your shoulder in every other aspect and detail in your life, it becomes a problem with some of them if you are not going to and tithing to their church.

I understand what you are saying I was just simply stating that in the same regard that a company doesn't own an employee they don't owe the employee. Other than mutually agreed upon performance standards & measures. :thumbsup:

Odysseus
05-18-2012, 02:24 PM
Eh. If they aren't subject to UCMJ, they have nothing to complain about.

ABC in Georgia
05-18-2012, 10:34 PM
Eh. If they aren't subject to UCMJ, they have nothing to complain about.

Ody ...

I looked up UCMJ ... and it stands for, for the "folks in Rio Linda" ... Uniform Code of Military Justice.

I swear, thanks to you and my Vince Flynn's books, I am getting to know more and more "acronyms" than you can shake sticks at!

Only problem is ... now after looking it up, I forget what I came in to say! Rats! ... :biggrin-new:

~ ABC :love_heart: