PDA

View Full Version : Damn...The washer died.

SarasotaRepub
05-20-2012, 06:42 PM
Not SLW...the machine. :friendly_wink:

We got home and I checked the washer, had water in it. Not a good sign.

Tried running it a few times and resetting...nope. The drum motor is gone. At
least it drained most of the water but the clothes of course were soaked.
I wrung em out like a rabbits neck and put em in the dryer which is still fine.

So...looks like a trip to hhGreg and/or other places in da morning!!:blue::biggrin-new:

JB
05-20-2012, 06:49 PM
So...looks like a trip to hhGreg and/or other places in da morning!!:blue::biggrin-new:They sell big rocks and/or washboards there?

Madisonian
05-20-2012, 07:02 PM
I am sorry it died a week too late to be considered a Mother's Day present.
That could have saved you a few bucks.

Rockntractor
05-20-2012, 07:12 PM
You had better hope your appliances don't have a suicide pact like mine did, the washer is the leader, it starts with it.

Starbuck
05-20-2012, 08:04 PM

Oh, that's a good idea. You go first.:adoration:

ABC in Georgia
05-20-2012, 11:09 PM

Oh oh!

Will pray for your male-chauvinist soul, Madisonian! ... :biggrin-new:

~ ABC

NJCardFan
05-20-2012, 11:09 PM
How do you get a broken washing machine to work? Kick her in the ass.

SarasotaRepub
05-20-2012, 11:12 PM
You had better hope your appliances don't have a suicide pact like mine did, the washer is the leader, it starts with it.

The second they leave the house after installing the new WM the dryer will blow. :apologetic: :biggrin-new:

Rockntractor
05-20-2012, 11:12 PM
How do you get a broken washing machine to work? Kick her in the ass.

Jewelery.

ABC in Georgia
05-20-2012, 11:29 PM

"Brilliant" ... absolutely brilliant, Rock! ... :biggrin-new:

I swear, if 84 year old Auntie from England, uses the word "brilliant" again, I am going to go insane.

Everything that is good, clever, amazing, whatever ... is always "brilliant!"

She is fun, positively tireless for her age, talks a blue streak, and is whacking me out! Then again, she has never been married, and has never had to deal with those pesky things known as husbands!

Perhaps is the *reason* she still has so much energy! ... :evil-grin:

~ ABC

SaintLouieWoman
05-20-2012, 11:57 PM
The second they leave the house after installing the new WM the dryer will blow. :apologetic: :biggrin-new:
The former owners of the house were going to take the washer and dryer with them. They decided at the last minute that they were our "welcome to Sarasota" present. Both are Maytag Neptunes, and I really liked them.

Does anyone have a suggestion on which appliances might be best? They seem to have sales on Frigidaires (which I've never particularly liked) and LG's here. I'd like to look at another Maytag and possibly a GE.

Also front loaders or top loaders? My last 3 washers have been front loaders and i've liked them. Also I've noticed that so many now have steam. To me it just seems like something else to go wrong. SR seems to like that stea idea.

Rockntractor
05-21-2012, 12:05 AM
The former owners of the house were going to take the washer and dryer with them. They decided at the last minute that they were our "welcome to Sarasota" present. Both are Maytag Neptunes, and I really liked them.

Does anyone have a suggestion on which appliances might be best? They seem to have sales on Frigidaires (which I've never particularly liked) and LG's here. I'd like to look at another Maytag and possibly a GE.

Also front loaders or top loaders? My last 3 washers have been front loaders and i've liked them. Also I've noticed that so many now have steam. To me it just seems like something else to go wrong. SR seems to like that stea idea.

The next one I try will be combined, you put the clothes in the drum and they wash and dry in the same unit, put um in dirty and take them out and fold them, one step.

Articulate_Ape
05-21-2012, 12:05 AM
A real man would fix it himself. http://www.repairclinic.com/ :cool:

Starbuck
05-21-2012, 12:12 AM
.........Does anyone have a suggestion on which appliances might be best? They seem to have sales on Frigidaires (which I've never particularly liked) and LG's here. I'd like to look at another Maytag and possibly a GE................

My experience has been that the best washers and dryers are the cheapest. I haven't bought either in many. many years and the cheaper ones I can repair myself. Same with dishwasher.
Last year I took the dryer out to the garage, took it completely apart, replaced a switch (I followed instructions I found on the internet), vacuumed out 15 years worth of lint, and put her back to work.

Think about this: It doesn't work, right? So how much do you have to lose by attempting a repair by yourself?

SaintLouieWoman
05-21-2012, 12:15 AM
My experience has been that the best washers and dryers are the cheapest. I haven't bought either in many. many years and the cheaper ones I can repair myself. Same with dishwasher.
Last year I took the dryer out to the garage, took it completely apart, replaced a switch (I followed instructions I found on the internet), vacuumed out 15 years worth of lint, and put her back to work.

Think about this: It doesn't work, right? So how much do you have to lose by attempting a repair by yourself?

Maybe a flooded house, blown wiring, who knows? Repairing appliances isn't SR's strong suit. However, he's a whiz in taking care of the lawn. It looks so much better since we fired the lawn guy. :biggrin-new:

SaintLouieWoman
05-21-2012, 12:20 AM
A real man would fix it himself. http://www.repairclinic.com/ :cool:
I doubt if we could even find parts for it. The washer looks very old. The dryer vents up through the garage roof. Some of the homes around here have almost had fires, so thinking of getting someone to clean out those vents. The previous owners did an excellent job remodeling the house about 8 years ago, but they were very negligent with ordinary maintenance. They rigged so many things that have been breaking, such as the pool pump and even a light in the ceiling of the shower, which fell right after SR got out of the shower. SR did a good job in tracking down that part and installing the light.

Gina
05-21-2012, 03:01 AM
Maytag, Kenmore and Whirlpool. In that order! :smile-new:

linda22003
05-21-2012, 11:35 AM
We like our Whirlpools. We replaced our washer/dryer last year when it was 21 years old, rather than waiting for total system failure. If, like us, you haven't bought a washer in a couple of decades, you'll be amazed at the changes. There's no center agitator anymore. The machine decides the level of water to use, and you don't have to use as much soap as you used to. All in all, a good investment.

Rockntractor
05-21-2012, 12:16 PM
Maytag, Kenmore and Whirlpool. In that order! :smile-new:

That is all the same company.

TVDOC
05-21-2012, 12:49 PM

I don't think you can go wrong with Whirlpool........our washer died last year just before Christmas, and it had 15 years of fairly hard use on it, so we bought another pair of Whirlpools.......I always buy them in pairs, because you usually get a bit of a discount on them that way, and we always buy the basic models (or one step above the basic).....top-load, five or seven cycle types. The more complex they are, the more they fail.

The only thing that my wife has complained about is that due to the new "nanny-state" safety standards, the washer now has an interlock on the lid that won't let you throw another item in the load after the cycle has started.......if you stop it, add an item, it will start the cycle all over again.......

We found the cheapest price at Lowes......and if you don't mind a scratch or dent, they will knock off another 10-15%.

doc

Rockntractor
05-21-2012, 01:00 PM
The refrigerators that Whirlpool make for Sears are made to a higher quality standard requested by Sears than the ones with the Whirlpool name on them. The same is true of their dryers, especially safety wise, I couldn't get information on the washers though.

TVDOC
05-21-2012, 01:05 PM
The refrigerators that Whirlpool make for Sears are made to a higher quality standard requested by Sears than the ones with the Whirlpool name on them. The same is true of their dryers, especially safety wise, I couldn't get information on the washers though.

That may be true, however, we took a tour of a Whirlpool plant a year or so ago, and they (both Whirlpool and Kenmore) were going down the assembly line together......the only difference appeared to be the nameplate.....

doc

Rockntractor
05-21-2012, 01:18 PM
That may be true, however, we took a tour of a Whirlpool plant a year or so ago, and they (both Whirlpool and Kenmore) were going down the assembly line together......the only difference appeared to be the nameplate.....

doc

I do work for a testing lab that does forensic testing for insurance companies when fires are started or damage is caused by the machines. The quality changes constantly and different companies are at the top of the heap at different times.
One recent example of two almost identical refrigerators both made by whirlpool, the starter on the compressor was heavier duty on the sears model.

TVDOC
05-21-2012, 01:23 PM
I do work for a testing lab that does forensic testing for insurance companies when fires are started or damage is caused by the machines. The quality changes constantly and different companies are at the top of the heap at different times.
One recent example of two almost identical refrigerators both made by whirlpool, the starter on the compressor was heavier duty on the sears model.

Underwriters Labs I presume......

doc

Rockntractor
05-21-2012, 01:50 PM
Underwriters Labs I presume......

doc

No they are an electrical engineering firm in Tulsa, a lot of the testing they do is real similar though. They have a contract to test all the deep well oil pump motors that Petrogras are buying from Centrilift. I never know what they are going to be testing next.
One day they had an electric chair they were testing simulating someone getting up and down out of it repeatedly, an identical chair had burned a grandmother down when it sparked a fire.

TVDOC
05-21-2012, 02:00 PM
No they are an electrical engineering firm in Tulsa, a lot of the testing they do is real similar though. They have a contract to test all the deep well oil pump motors that Petrogras are buying from Centrilift. I never know what they are going to be testing next.
One day they had an electric chair they were testing simulating someone getting up and down out of it repeatedly, an identical chair had burned a grandmother down when it sparked a fire.

Hence my remark.....back at the dawn of my career as an engineer, I got stuck with the task of assuring that all of our products met the UL standards..........by duplicating the tests.........low man on the totem pole.

doc

Rockntractor
05-21-2012, 02:14 PM
Hence my remark.....back at the dawn of my career as an engineer, I got stuck with the task of assuring that all of our products met the UL standards..........by duplicating the tests.........low man on the totem pole.

doc

I do heavy equipment work and check several oil leases that they own, one of my jobs is to haul off the carcasses of appliances after they are finished using them for testing.

SarasotaRepub
05-21-2012, 03:21 PM
We're back! New machine to be delivered tomorrow.

It's an LG (http://www.lg.com/us/washers/lg-WM3470HWA)

Latest model and we got it for $835.

With hhgreg they charge $69.99 to deliver the new and pickup the old
but I have a rebate to mail in so it's free.

Hawkgirl
05-21-2012, 05:37 PM
All of my appliances are Whirlpool and I never had any issue with them. I did not upgrade them when they built my house, so they were probably not expensive. They are from 2007 and do not show any wear and tear.

SaintLouieWoman
05-21-2012, 06:00 PM
All of my appliances are Whirlpool and I never had any issue with them. I did not upgrade them when they built my house, so they were probably not expensive. They are from 2007 and do not show any wear and tear.

After reading all the Whirlpool comments, I might go to our local Lowe's and check out the Whirlpools. They don't have them at HGregg, a new (and largest) in this little town. SR buys stuff quickly, walks in and figures out which is the best deal in the store. I'm the one who likes to shop and check ratings, etc. I'm thinking that the one we purchased might have too many features that could go wrong.

There's nothing like Buyer's Remorse. :biggrin-new:

RobJohnson
05-21-2012, 07:53 PM
The next one I try will be combined, you put the clothes in the drum and they wash and dry in the same unit, put um in dirty and take them out and fold them, one step.

It will reduce your productivity!

RobJohnson
05-21-2012, 07:58 PM
The dryer vents up through the garage roof. Some of the homes around here have almost had fires, so thinking of getting someone to clean out those vents..

http://www.11alive.com/images/300/200/2/assetpool/images/120321110301_Lint%20Lizard.jpg

:adoration:

RobJohnson
05-21-2012, 08:04 PM

That thing is huge. It still should help reduce your carbon foot print. :evil-grin:

Rockntractor
05-21-2012, 08:10 PM
It will reduce your productivity!

Naw, my job is to get the clothes dirty and put it in the hamper.http://www.picgifs.com/smileys/smileys-and-emoticons/sofa/smileys-sofa-364914.gif (http://www.picgifs.com/smileys/)

bijou
05-22-2012, 03:05 AM
I sympathise, my 'fridge has developed a death rattle. Not long for this world. :blue:

Gina
05-22-2012, 03:27 AM
That is all the same company.

I guess they are now. I worked for an appliance repair company and then an appliance parts company. They used to be separate! :biggrin-new:

They each had other brands under them but those 3 were parent companies. Frigidaire and SubZero were others. Oh and GE.

AmPat
05-22-2012, 11:08 AM
My Matag washer went out as few months ago. It had a fault code that I looked up on the internet. I followed some internet innstructions and fixed it myself. Cost? 2 hours labor by me.

Has worked like new since.

If I had to buy another, I would opt for an older version that actually cleans clothes. the newer ones don't do as good a job since the enviro-weenies forced changes to the industry.

I bought a $500+ vaccuum cleaner that broke within 6 months. Now I buy $80 Walmart ones of the same make. That way I have spare parts and fix the newer one with it.

TVDOC
05-22-2012, 01:01 PM

Damn boss....you spent more for just a washer than I spent for a washer AND a dryer, and Lowes delivered them free, and hauled off the old ones.......

LG is supposed to be a good machine, the company is South Korean, and has been manufacturering appliances for decades over there. The company was formerly known as "Goldstar", and apparently LG is just the abbreviation of the words "Lucky-Goldstar".

doc

RobJohnson
05-22-2012, 01:18 PM
If I had to buy another, I would opt for an older version that actually cleans clothes. the newer ones don't do as good a job since the enviro-weenies forced changes to the industry.

Good point.

I remember a couple winters ago Home Depot had washing machines on clearance. I heard a customer ask "why" and he said they were no longer going to be allowed to sell them after the first of the year because they used "too much water." The sales associate suggested if they needed to purchase a washing machine, to go with the one on clearance!

RobJohnson
05-22-2012, 01:19 PM
Damn boss....you spent more for just a washer than I spent for a washer AND a dryer, and Lowes delivered them free, and hauled off the old ones.......

LG is supposed to be a good machine, the company is South Korean, and has been manufacturering appliances for decades over there. The company was formerly known as "Goldstar", and apparently LG is just the abbreviation of the words "Lucky-Goldstar".

doc

I think they changed the name due to the fact that Goldstar made some pretty crappy stuff in the 90's

SaintLouieWoman
05-22-2012, 01:28 PM

doc
At least they hauled off the old one and we'll get free delivery after we get our rebate. SR already has the forms made out and will be in the mail shortly.

I'm hoping the old dryer holds out longer. I don't want to jinx it too much by saying that it hasn't given us any problems. We could tell that the washer was on a death watch. Plus it normally made so much noise that we'd have to close the door to the laundry room and turn up the tv when it was being operated. Oh, yeah, it wasn't cleaning the whites either.

We have a test load right of whites. At least I'll be able to look through the glass door to see how much water is going in there. If it's a crappy result, they probably won't be pleased if I tell them to come get it. :biggrin-new:

TVDOC
05-22-2012, 01:35 PM
At least they hauled off the old one and we'll get free delivery after we get our rebate. SR already has the forms made out and will be in the mail shortly.

I'm hoping the old dryer holds out longer. I don't want to jinx it too much by saying that it hasn't given us any problems. We could tell that the washer was on a death watch. Plus it normally made so much noise that we'd have to close the door to the laundry room and turn up the tv when it was being operated. Oh, yeah, it wasn't cleaning the whites either.

We have a test load right of whites. At least I'll be able to look through the glass door to see how much water is going in there. If it's a crappy result, they probably won't be pleased if I tell them to come get it. :biggrin-new:

I've always been a bit nervous about front-loading washers.......I remember a few years ago, Maytag built a line of them called "Neptune", and the door seals failed, again and again, with the resulting flooding in the laundry room. It took them YEARS to get them fixed, and basically cost Maytag their (otherwise great) reputation, until they ultimately went belly up......

doc

RobJohnson
05-22-2012, 01:41 PM
Naw, my job is to get the clothes dirty and put it in the hamper.http://www.picgifs.com/smileys/smileys-and-emoticons/sofa/smileys-sofa-364914.gif (http://www.picgifs.com/smileys/)

You have a hamper???

http://isoutrage.files.wordpress.com/2011/12/rich-pig.jpg

SarasotaRepub
05-22-2012, 01:56 PM
I've always been a bit nervous about front-loading washers.......I remember a few years ago, Maytag built a line of them called "Neptune", and the door seals failed, again and again, with the resulting flooding in the laundry room. It took them YEARS to get them fixed, and basically cost Maytag their (otherwise great) reputation, until they ultimately went belly up......

doc

Same here but "The Boss" wants a Front Loader so....:friendly_wink:

Looks to be a solid machine, we'll see how it cleans. It is WAY quieter so far.

noonwitch
05-22-2012, 02:03 PM
Mine died (stopped agitating) a couple of months ago. I ended up paying $200 to have a repairman replace a little plastic piece that probably cost the company $5 bucks to make.

It's a Whirlpool, made in Michigan. Kind of figures, although my fridge is older and also a Whirlpool and I haven't had any problems with it.

SaintLouieWoman
05-22-2012, 02:21 PM
Mine died (stopped agitating) a couple of months ago. I ended up paying $200 to have a repairman replace a little plastic piece that probably cost the company $5 bucks to make.

It's a Whirlpool, made in Michigan. Kind of figures, although my fridge is older and also a Whirlpool and I haven't had any problems with it.

When the frig that they left here started having problems, we had a repairman and he fixed it for $200. When the dishwasher, newer than the frig, went out, we went the repair route, only to end up paying almost $200 for nothing. We ended up having to get a new dishwasher. So this time, we decided not to chance the repair route, as the motor went out.

It was an old Neptune and had been getting so loud that we decided to bite the bullet and get the new one.

The repair service we had with the dishwasher was actually Sears service. They were horrible to deal with and the tech lied big time. I told the service company that they couldn't send him back. I might as well have saved my breath, because he had quit. The 2nd guy was better, but said we needed a new motor. By the time we would have finished, it would have been as much as buying a new one.

SarasotaRepub
05-22-2012, 03:39 PM
1st load worked just fine even though I picked the wrong cycle...close enough. :biggrin-new:

And it didn't leak so that's a +!!!

Next load is already in. It is nice and quiet, the Neptune was so loud on Spin you had to leave the room, I thought it was going to come apart a few times...

Madisonian
05-22-2012, 07:59 PM
I can usually repair the major appliances a few times to extend the life to close to 20 year mark, but finally had to replace the old GE fridge (new in the house 1974) last year.
We are not to far from a Sears outlet type store where you can get the scratch and dent models at a considerable discount and we really don't care if the washer or dryer has a gouge in the side that is against the laundry tub when the price is 200 to 300 lower.

RobJohnson
05-22-2012, 09:33 PM
I can usually repair the major appliances a few times to extend the life to close to 20 year mark, but finally had to replace the old GE fridge (new in the house 1974) last year.
We are not to far from a Sears outlet type store where you can get the scratch and dent models at a considerable discount and we really don't care if the washer or dryer has a gouge in the side that is against the laundry tub when the price is 200 to 300 lower.

I checked for Sears outlets here in Nevada the closest was several hours away in CA.

In Illinois I was pretty close to one and it saved me some money over the years. It was also great for getting parts.

RobJohnson
05-22-2012, 09:36 PM
This thread jinxed me.

The apartment attached to my house that my mom lives in now needs a new refrigerator...I can't really raise her rent since I don't charge her. :love_heart:

RobJohnson
05-22-2012, 09:38 PM
1st load worked just fine

Yikes.....TMI:evil-grin:

SarasotaRepub
05-22-2012, 10:05 PM
Yikes.....TMI:evil-grin:

:redface::redface:

RobJohnson
05-23-2012, 01:37 AM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/s320x320/556787_10151019758373465_129446698464_12246283_513 766854_n.jpg

Starbuck
05-23-2012, 10:55 AM
............Next load is already in. It is nice and quiet, the Neptune was so loud on Spin you had to leave the room..........
What, don't you have it on the front porch?:friendly_wink:

Spin? Oh, you mean wring.

http://image.lehmans.com/lehmans/Images/products/main/fw2180s.jpg

AmPat
05-23-2012, 02:14 PM
Dangit! All this talk of washers and I just got an email about my retal home in NC. The washer, (Maytag), started leaking. A valve was bad. $200 labor and $20 parts. :frown-new: