PDA

View Full Version : I need help PLEASE...

Bailey
05-23-2012, 05:01 PM
I just moved into a new apt and my soon to be wife just got a puppy chihuahua, while I used to hate what I call rat dogs the little guy has grown on me. My PROBLEM is if left home alone HE WONT STOP BARKING and the person upstairs is starting to not like it. Does anyone have any advice they could give me? We are starting to crate train him but I dont have hope that will help in the short term. I dont want to get rid of him because it would break my daughters hearts (not to mention mine) and I'd hate to see what it would do to him.

Rockntractor
05-23-2012, 05:06 PM
I just moved into a new apt and my soon to be wife just got a puppy chihuahua, while I used to hate what I call rat dogs the little guy has grown on me. My PROBLEM is if left home alone HE WONT STOP BARKING and the person upstairs is starting to not like it. Does anyone have any advice they could give me? We are starting to crate train him but I dont have hope that will help in the short term. I dont want to get rid of him because it would break my daughters hearts (not to mention mine) and I'd hate to see what it would do to him.

get a collar that shocks him when he barks.

http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&field-keywords=bark%20control%20collar&index=blended&link_code=qs&sourceid=Mozilla-search&tag=mozilla-20

Starbuck
05-23-2012, 05:20 PM
He can't help it; it's just the way he is.

He needs another dog. Or a cat. Or a goat. Or something.

We have a wire haired Jack Russel. Left alone, he is a terror. When Molly came along, he just settled right down..

Articulate_Ape
05-23-2012, 05:58 PM
http://worldwillend2012.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/duct-tape.gif

SarasotaRepub
05-23-2012, 06:17 PM
http://worldwillend2012.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/duct-tape.gif

You read my eeeeevil mind!!!! :biggrin-new:

JUST KIDDING!!! I would say a "buddy" would probably help to assuming you can have more than 1 dog.
If not, I'm not sure. Seperation anxiety in pups can be a bitch to deal with.

Bailey
05-23-2012, 06:45 PM
You read my eeeeevil mind!!!! :biggrin-new:

JUST KIDDING!!! I would say a "buddy" would probably help to assuming you can have more than 1 dog.
If not, I'm not sure. Seperation anxiety in pups can be a bitch to deal with.

You ain't kidding

SarasotaRepub
05-23-2012, 07:05 PM
You ain't kidding

I mentioned this to SLW and she might have some ideas as she has had more dogs.

We have been lucky with the greys, before we got married I had Xena all by herself at times and it was never an issue.

Bailey
05-23-2012, 07:46 PM
I mentioned this to SLW and she might have some ideas as she has had more dogs.

We have been lucky with the greys, before we got married I had Xena all by herself at times and it was never an issue.

Joking aside I dont want to give him up :frown-new:

Rockntractor
05-23-2012, 07:58 PM
Joking aside I dont want to give him up :frown-new:
Get the shock collar, you could probably use it on your wife too but you'd have to put some diamonds on it.

Bailey
05-23-2012, 08:02 PM
Get the shock collar, you could probably use it on your wife too but you'd have to put some diamonds on it.

I told her that old joke about locking your dog and wife in the trunk of a car and letting them go after an hour and see which one would be happy to see you.

Retread
05-23-2012, 08:31 PM
ideas that have helped various mutts at out place settle in -
Give them some old clothes (shirt, blouse, etc of the one it spends most of it's time with as bedding.
Does it have a favorite toy? If not go to Petco, take the dog and let it pick one out.
last choice would be a wee drop of Valium on its breakfast. I hate that choice but had to use it one time but after about 4-5 days it was no longer needed.

Rockntractor
05-23-2012, 09:17 PM
ideas that have helped various mutts at out place settle in -
Give them some old clothes (shirt, blouse, etc of the one it spends most of it's time with as bedding.

Make sure the neighbor is not still wearing the old clothes!

SaintLouieWoman
05-23-2012, 10:15 PM
My first greyhound had separation anxiety. He would shred things when I was at work. I used the crate that the adoption group had lent me, and he hated it. He would jump around so much that the screws would come off, and he'd get out of the crate.

He did it for a while, but I tried giving him little blankets and towels to cuddle with. After a while, he settled down after he wasn't confined to the crate..

One thing I remember the vet telling me was to get him used to being left. Try on a weekend or in the evening leaving him for only a few minutes and gradually extend the time. That might get him used to being left and get the idea into his widdle head that you will be coming home.

A friend in St Louis had a grey with the separation anxiety. She tried letting her dog have the run of the kitchen, fencing it off with a baby gate. She put blankets on the floor there and she said that after a short while, the dog was less anxious than when left home alone in the crate.

It's weird, but little pooches generally are more difficult to housebreak and also tend to be yappier.

I'll ask some of my buddies on one of my greyhound online groups for some suggestions and will pass them on. My son also has a radio show on a small station and has a vet as a cohost. They'll be on tomorrow afternoon, so going to send an email to him now and ask if he can get some advice from the vet and from some behavioral experts that will be on the show.

Good luck. Maybe if you talk to the neighbor and ask for a little more time and tell the neighbors that you're working on it, it will buy you a bit more time in the training. If your pooch is friendly, maybe the cute pup can soften the neighbors. If he's a biter, leave him home. :biggrin-new:

Starbuck
05-24-2012, 10:01 AM
Hey Bailey, another thing you may want to consider is doggy daycare. We have them even in our town and they are very popular and, I believe, successful. Our vet has one attached to his clinic and I was there one morning when the regulars started arriving. One lady just drove up, opened her car door, and the dog jumps out in the rain and runs up to the clinic door. The dogs are allowed to stay outside or inside - whatever they wish.
I know if I were still working and was gone all day that's the way I would handle it.

Bailey
05-24-2012, 10:22 AM
Hey Bailey, another thing you may want to consider is doggy daycare. We have them even in our town and they are very popular and, I believe, successful. Our vet has one attached to his clinic and I was there one morning when the regulars started arriving. One lady just drove up, opened her car door, and the dog jumps out in the rain and runs up to the clinic door. The dogs are allowed to stay outside or inside - whatever they wish.
I know if I were still working and was gone all day that's the way I would handle it.

We are going to try to crate train him since he is only 6months old and we might get him a friend to keep him company. oh and the dog collar I am checking. The lady upstairs just has to deal its only for a few hours each day in the afternoon, i am not going to break my kids hearts for her.

Starbuck
05-24-2012, 11:54 AM
We are going to try to crate train him since he is only 6months old and we might get him a friend to keep him company. oh and the dog collar I am checking. The lady upstairs just has to deal its only for a few hours each day in the afternoon, i am not going to break my kids hearts for her.
I've got another idea that you may be able to work out: See if you can find him a backyard buddy where he can be dropped of to spend the day in another dog's yard during the day. Maybe someone at work. Dogs who spend the day by themselves in the backyard need company, too.

Molon Labe
05-24-2012, 12:33 PM
I have two Chihuahas.

People are right about the seperation anxiety issue for Chi's. Don't know what you can do when you're not home, but we had to get him a buddy for him to relax. That's probably not an option though.

SaintLouieWoman
05-24-2012, 01:09 PM
I've got another idea that you may be able to work out: See if you can find him a backyard buddy where he can be dropped of to spend the day in another dog's yard during the day. Maybe someone at work. Dogs who spend the day by themselves in the backyard need company, too.
The success on that idea depends on the location. I wouldn't trust a pup out in the yard all day without someone there. A popular breed like a chi might disappear very quickly. I'm not slamming Florida, as it happened a lot in St Louis, too.

Bailey
05-24-2012, 01:33 PM
I have two Chihuahas.

People are right about the seperation anxiety issue for Chi's. Don't know what you can do when you're not home, but we had to get him a buddy for him to relax. That's probably not an option though.

We could get his brother for the litter he came from but my GF is kind of against that idea. he's only on his own for like 4 hours a day.

Molon Labe
05-24-2012, 03:53 PM
We could get his brother for the litter he came from but my GF is kind of against that idea. he's only on his own for like 4 hours a day.

I was against that idea too, but the wife won out. It has made a world of difference them being together on the anxiety. They attach to people VERY easily. They aren't really too much trouble because they are so small, but the big drawback is hey are really hard to potty train.

BTW:
I know you can't do this when you are away, but we hated to have a yappy untrained Chihuaha. We taught ours not to be yappy and bark too much. We let them have a few barks to warn us of whatever it is they are barking at. Then we use a word like "enough" or "ok" and we praise them when they stop barking. It's helped alot.

Molon Labe
05-24-2012, 03:55 PM
The success on that idea depends on the location. I wouldn't trust a pup out in the yard all day without someone there. A popular breed like a chi might disappear very quickly. I'm not slamming Florida, as it happened a lot in St Louis, too.

Good advice. Chi's aren't outdoor dogs. They are lunch for predators outdoors.

Bailey
05-24-2012, 04:44 PM
Good advice. Chi's aren't outdoor dogs. They are lunch for predators outdoors.

he goes no where outside without a Y harness and a leash. he is strictly a indoor dog.

Bailey
05-24-2012, 04:45 PM
hes got me wrapped around his little paw :(

Why didnt she get a golden or german shepard

Bailey
05-24-2012, 05:00 PM
We are trying to crate train him but I just heard he shit all over the crate. :(

The shock collar looks more and more like a good thing.

SaintLouieWoman
05-24-2012, 06:48 PM
We are trying to crate train him but I just heard he shit all over the crate. :(

The shock collar looks more and more like a good thing.
He's awfully small for a shock collar. The dolphins at Mote (and the animals at the zoo) are trained with positive reinforcement.

When he's barking, try squirting him with a water gun. When he's quiet, tell him good boy and maybe give him a treat. That should help him gradually understand, lots of praise when he's being good.

I don't know if this book is still in print, but maybe you can get it at a library. It's called "Don't Shoot the Dog". It's written by Karen Pryor. I've seen her in person at a talk at the St Louis Zoo. She's a big advocate of positive reinforcement.

She claims the advice will work on anyone or thing. I used her advice way back when I had a really nasty boss. It worked. Instead of arguing all the time, we got along and he started being way nicer.

The keepers at the zoo used her methods from everything from elephants to hippos to rhinos. They certainly would work with a dog. :biggrin-new:

It's a short little book and an easy read.

Bailey
05-24-2012, 07:12 PM
He's awfully small for a shock collar. The dolphins at Mote (and the animals at the zoo) are trained with positive reinforcement.

When he's barking, try squirting him with a water gun. When he's quiet, tell him good boy and maybe give him a treat. That should help him gradually understand, lots of praise when he's being good.

I don't know if this book is still in print, but maybe you can get it at a library. It's called "Don't Shoot the Dog". It's written by Karen Pryor. I've seen her in person at a talk at the St Louis Zoo. She's a big advocate of positive reinforcement.

She claims the advice will work on anyone or thing. I used her advice way back when I had a really nasty boss. It worked. Instead of arguing all the time, we got along and he started being way nicer.

The keepers at the zoo used her methods from everything from elephants to hippos to rhinos. They certainly would work with a dog. :biggrin-new:

It's a short little book and an easy read.

The problem with squarting him with water is that no one is ever around when he barks :(

Only when he is alone do we have any problems with him :(

SarasotaRepub
05-24-2012, 08:02 PM
God don't shock collar him!!! You'll fry him!!! :blue:

SaintLouieWoman
05-24-2012, 09:21 PM
The problem with squarting him with water is that no one is ever around when he barks :(

Only when he is alone do we have any problems with him :(

You've got a good point. Does he bark when people come to your door? Maybe you could get in some practice with that. The old water gun worked with my only noisy greyhound, who was hyped up with steroids when he came off the track. I flunked the foster thing with him and kept him. I still can't figure out why. He eventually settled down and was a good pooch.

Maybe your neighbor who is annoyed with his barking during the hours you are gone could watch him. It might help to throw a few bucks their way. And if they're not home then, who cares? They're admitting that he couldn't be all that bad of a problem for them. He'll probably worm his way into their hearts if they're around him.

Starbuck
05-24-2012, 09:27 PM
...........Why didnt she get a golden or german shepard
I dunno about the golden, but the reason she didn't get you a German Shepherd is because they shed about 50% of their coat a day! Most people can't stand them inside the house. Every day you should get up and thank God for your small, non-shedding dog.:adoration:

Bailey
05-25-2012, 04:09 AM
You've got a good point. Does he bark when people come to your door? Maybe you could get in some practice with that. The old water gun worked with my only noisy greyhound, who was hyped up with steroids when he came off the track. I flunked the foster thing with him and kept him. I still can't figure out why. He eventually settled down and was a good pooch.

Maybe your neighbor who is annoyed with his barking during the hours you are gone could watch him. It might help to throw a few bucks their way. And if they're not home then, who cares? They're admitting that he couldn't be all that bad of a problem for them. He'll probably worm his way into their hearts if they're around him.

She is an old lady that lives upstairs and the only time we have a problem with barking is from around noon to 4pm. He rarely barks any other time. She ok but she has a cat so I doubt she'll watch him, though I dont doubt he'll worm his way in her heart, he did it to this hardened heart of mine :D

Bailey
05-25-2012, 06:39 AM
Here is a picture of the little guy :)

http://i16.photobucket.com/albums/b10/lars1701c/306162_451324618218230_100000220884341_5767573_154 8448376_n.jpg

Sorry he's such a cutie and he loves sitting on your lap :)

Molon Labe
05-29-2012, 01:15 PM
Any luck?