PDA

View Full Version : Police: Man implicates himself in 1979 Etan Patz case

SarasotaRepub
05-24-2012, 07:53 AM
By the CNN Wire Staff
updated 7:44 AM EDT, Thu May 24, 2012

New York (CNN) -- A man now in custody has implicated himself in the 1979 disappearance of 6-year-old Etan Patz, Commissioner Ray Kelly of the New York Police Department said Thursday.

The man "has made statements to NYPD detectives" regarding Etan's disappearance and death 33 years ago, Kelly said in a statement. Authorities will divulge more details Thursday, he said.

Etan's disappearance received national attention and, along with other high-profile cases, helped trigger a national movement that focuses on missing children.

Etan went missing on May 25, 1979, a block from his home in the New York neighborhood of SoHo. It was the first time he had walked to his school bus stop by himself.

LINK (http://www.cnn.com/2012/05/24/justice/new-york-etan-patz/index.html?hpt=hp_t1)

Bailey
05-24-2012, 08:25 AM
LINK (http://www.cnn.com/2012/05/24/justice/new-york-etan-patz/index.html?hpt=hp_t1)

I guess his life is coming to an end and guilt (and the thought of hell) made him come forward.

noonwitch
05-24-2012, 10:24 AM
I'm glad that they solved the case, but it's just so horrible. There are a lot of unsolved crimes from the 70s, before the technology that's available now.

They still haven't solved the Oakland County Child killer case from this area. The killer washed his victims after sexually assaulting them, and then left the bodies in areas in which he knew they'd be found quickly-one in plain view of the Troy Police Station. The police will get a lead once in a while, and they had several suspects, most of whom are now dead. But if DNA technology had been available then, even with the washing of the bodies and all, they might have had some evidence to work with.

JB
05-24-2012, 02:29 PM
From the article...law enforcement sounds skeptical.

Although I hope he's the guy. For the parents sake.