PDA

View Full Version : My HOA

Hawkgirl
05-24-2012, 06:51 PM
I'm a bit pissed off at this email response I got from them.

From Moi:
Hi,

I would like to know if I can reserve the outdoor clubhouse for June 30th for my daughter’s birthday party. I’d also like to know if I can reserve a bounce house or waterslide to use in the open area near the lake. It will be a small party of about 12 adults and 4 children. Please let me know as soon as possible.

Thanks,
@#$%

This is their response:

First off NO bounce houses or water slides allowed. There is an application process required to reserve the cabana area. Contact Shellee from the management company for the form.
Thank you.
dfjsdfkj

What's with the "FIRST OFF" and "NO" in capitalized letters?? Did I not ask politely?
How should I respond to this??

SarasotaRepub
05-24-2012, 07:01 PM

From Moi:
Hi,

I would like to know if I can reserve the outdoor clubhouse for June 30th for my daughter’s birthday party. I’d also like to know if I can reserve a bounce house or waterslide to use in the open area near the lake. It will be a small party of about 12 adults and 4 children. Please let me know as soon as possible.

Thanks,
@#$%

This is their response:

First off NO bounce houses or water slides allowed. There is an application process required to reserve the cabana area. Contact Shellee from the management company for the form.
Thank you.
dfjsdfkj

What's with the "FIRST OFF" and "NO" in capitalized letters?? Did I not ask politely?

LOL!!!! Ya gotta love HOA's!!! Tell them if they take care of you right away you'll slip them some Facebook Stock...

:friendly_wink:
:biggrin-new:

Rockntractor
05-24-2012, 07:02 PM

From Moi:
Hi,

Thanks,
@#$%

This is their response:

Thank you.
dfjsdfkj

I would tell them to kiss my pastey white ass and go somewhere else. I'm a grouch.

Hawkgirl
05-24-2012, 07:05 PM
I would tell them to kiss my pastey white ass and go somewhere else. I'm a grouch.

You said it much nicer than I want to say it.

Hawkgirl
05-24-2012, 07:11 PM
LOL!!!! Ya gotta love HOA's!!! Tell them if they take care of you right away you'll slip them some Facebook Stock...

HA! Friggin wannabe commandos, I REALLY feel like sending a nasty email...but since I will be living there for a little while longer...I should not.

Madisonian
05-24-2012, 07:41 PM
Not that I would ever live in an HOA, but the first thing to do is get a copy of the by-laws and memorize every word of it.
Then, whenever anyone from the HOA board or an HOA brown noser violates any clause in even the most minute of ways, stick it to them.

It is not a particularly nice thing to have to do, but if they want to be that way, then you have to fight fire with fire.

SaintLouieWoman
05-24-2012, 09:01 PM
Not that I would ever live in an HOA, but the first thing to do is get a copy of the by-laws and memorize every word of it.
Then, whenever anyone from the HOA board or an HOA brown noser violates any clause in even the most minute of ways, stick it to them.

It is not a particularly nice thing to have to do, but if they want to be that way, then you have to fight fire with fire.

If you're not planning on staying there for a lot longer, you can always threaten to sue. (carefully study your deed restrictions first). It always works with our HOA. Just say the word, and they'll sweat it big time.

We had someone sue, and that word now really grabs our attention.

Unless you have a very specifically worded deed restriction, I don't think they can do anything about the bounce house for the day. I know we've had people with kids move into our development, and the resident grouches can't do anything about some of the stuff going up, as it's not in the restrictions. So one person put up a zip line. They don't like it, but nothing they can do about it.

Read your deed restriction. If it's not in there, just be as nauseating sweet as you can be and ask if they can show you where it's prohibited. Maybe by being nice to them you can get your way.

Starbuck
05-24-2012, 09:23 PM
It's a challenge dealing with someone who has few people skills. Unfortunately, that list includes almost everyone. People skills are rare.

So she capitalized a few letters. Rise above it. She's only being defensive.

Zeus
05-24-2012, 09:36 PM
I can understand the HOA point of view from a legal stand point. If anyone got injured because of the water slide or bounce house use The HOA is open to a lawsuit. You may be able to pull it off if everyone in attendance signs a hold harmless disclaimer in regard to the HOA.

I think the E-mail reply was just an innocent poorly worded one. You asked multiple questions and they could have said "In response to your first question...." but took a shortcut.

Hawkgirl
05-24-2012, 09:36 PM
If you're not planning on staying there for a lot longer, you can always threaten to sue. (carefully study your deed restrictions first). It always works with our HOA. Just say the word, and they'll sweat it big time.

We had someone sue, and that word now really grabs our attention.

Unless you have a very specifically worded deed restriction, I don't think they can do anything about the bounce house for the day. I know we've had people with kids move into our development, and the resident grouches can't do anything about some of the stuff going up, as it's not in the restrictions. So one person put up a zip line. They don't like it, but nothing they can do about it.

Read your deed restriction. If it's not in there, just be as nauseating sweet as you can be and ask if they can show you where it's prohibited. Maybe by being nice to them you can get your way.

Would it be on the initial 1000 page document when I bought the home?? It was a new development and the bylaws were given to me by the builder. I do recall seeing a bounce house last summer in the common area by the clubhouse. We now have a new management company and we received a letter last year (now that I think about it) which states we can no longer rent bounce houses. Is it an amendment to the bylaws or is it something they probably make up as they go along? I would do it in my own backyard if I had the room, but I don't.
I probably will be staying here for at least 5 years so I don't' want to be labeled as a "troublemaker." This is the first time I contacted them in 5 years so it's not like I'm a complainer.

Hawkgirl
05-24-2012, 09:37 PM
It's a challenge dealing with someone who has few people skills. Unfortunately, that list includes almost everyone. People skills are rare.

So she capitalized a few letters. Rise above it. She's only being defensive.

It's the TONE. :evil-grin:

Articulate_Ape
05-24-2012, 09:42 PM
I can understand the HOA point of view from a legal stand point. If anyone got injured because of the water slide or bounce house use The HOA is open to a lawsuit. You may be able to pull it off if everyone in attendance signs a hold harmless disclaimer in regard to the HOA.

I think the E-mail reply was just an innocent poorly worded one. You asked multiple questions and they could have said "In response to your first question...." but took a shortcut.

I am inclined to agree with Zeus. I would add that this is yet another reason that I would rather die than live in a development that has a HOA. Literally.

Hawkgirl
05-24-2012, 09:52 PM
BTW...it's a very young community of town homes, lots of families with small children. My area has a very small patch of land in the backyard. You'd be lucky if you can fit an inflatable pool in the back.
If we pay our monthly dues, why not have the ability to rent out a bounce house on the large parcels of land that surround the lake?? I don't think it's because they're afraid of getting sued, they can be sued by anyone for anything, including getting injured on the tennis courts, basketball court, gym, pool, etc...

SaintLouieWoman
05-24-2012, 09:53 PM
Would it be on the initial 1000 page document when I bought the home?? It was a new development and the bylaws were given to me by the builder. I do recall seeing a bounce house last summer in the common area by the clubhouse. We now have a new management company and we received a letter last year (now that I think about it) which states we can no longer rent bounce houses. Is it an amendment to the bylaws or is it something they probably make up as they go along? I would do it in my own backyard if I had the room, but I don't.
I probably will be staying here for at least 5 years so I don't' want to be labeled as a "troublemaker." This is the first time I contacted them in 5 years so it's not like I'm a complainer.

It sounds like it's something they made up as they went along. With our HOA, to change anything it has to be done by a vote of the residents, with 75% approving it. We're in the middle of a big fight, as the original deed restriction says no trucks in driveway or on the street (trucks of residents, not of someone coming to the house to work). God only knows what will happen with that one. Another big fight is the height of fences. At least we allow fences.

Yeah, it's best to not be labeled as a troublemaker. One guy wanted to be on the board, but he didn't get enough votes because he was the one who sued. He definitely was labelled as a troublemaker---deservedly so.

Hopefully you can at least get the clubhouse. Maybe you could ask what they will allow. That might stop them in their tracks.

My niece and her hubby bought water guns for all the little girls at their daughter's birthday party. Maybe they could have fun chasing each other around and squirting. That way they can get wet if the wet blankets won't let you have a water slide. There's always some way to get around things.

Gina
05-24-2012, 09:55 PM
People who have poor people skills have no business dealing with people! :smile-new:

I would steer around this yayhoo that wrote the email, if possible. No reason to jeopardize your home or your peace. They suggested contacting Shellee. I'd do that, in person (in case the yayhoo told Shellee what a so and so you are). Do the form and inquire about the bouncy thing.

Maybe mention that a people person would better serve them as email-answerer.

SaintLouieWoman
05-24-2012, 10:06 PM
It's tougher being on the board where I am. We're too thrifty to hire a management company, and the board members (unpaid residents who get a ton of grief) have to make the tough decisions. Some of the people on the board (now down to 4) are good, but we have one who is an idiot. So it depends on which board member you contact.

Talk to the other person and lay out your case. Zeus is right about the possible worry about a lawsuit. We're always concerned about that and upped our insurance coverage to cover that issue.

Hawkgirl
05-24-2012, 10:06 PM
It sounds like it's something they made up as they went along. With our HOA, to change anything it has to be done by a vote of the residents, with 75% approving it. We're in the middle of a big fight, as the original deed restriction says no trucks in driveway or on the street (trucks of residents, not of someone coming to the house to work). God only knows what will happen with that one. Another big fight is the height of fences. At least we allow fences.

Yeah, it's best to not be labeled as a troublemaker. One guy wanted to be on the board, but he didn't get enough votes because he was the one who sued. He definitely was labelled as a troublemaker---deservedly so.

Hopefully you can at least get the clubhouse. Maybe you could ask what they will allow. That might stop them in their tracks.

My niece and her hubby bought water guns for all the little girls at their daughter's birthday party. Maybe they could have fun chasing each other around and squirting. That way they can get wet if the wet blankets won't let you have a water slide. There's always some way to get around things.

I will probably just reserve the cabana. The pool leads into. I'm not going to be a big baby about it. Thanks for the advice SLW.

This is the cabana area, it also has a kitchen, that you can't see from the picture
http://i48.tinypic.com/2utrdrs.jpg

the pool is right next door
http://i45.tinypic.com/24xqpgw.jpg

This is the view of the cabana area looking out to the lake...you can't see from the pic, but there is a lot of empty grass area on the right of the lake.
They have restrooms and the kitchen is the door on the right. It has a refrigerator, workspace, sink and microwave.
http://i48.tinypic.com/27ycr2h.jpg

Articulate_Ape
05-24-2012, 10:24 PM
Lovely spot, Hawkgirl. You should form a posse and hang the HOA. That way you can have your party and everything will work out great. God I'm smart.

Hawkgirl
05-24-2012, 10:26 PM
God I'm smart. And delusional

Fixed it for ya!:evil-grin:

Rockntractor
05-24-2012, 10:36 PM
I don't think they'd let me in that fancy pants place!http://www.smiley-lol.com/smiley/metiers/uniformes/flictape.gif

SaintLouieWoman
05-24-2012, 10:57 PM
That place is lovely, looks like a high end country club. The party should be nice.

Our place isn't as fancy. The neighborhood has their picnics along the grassy area on a tiny little lake. SR found a place south of us, in Osprey, that he really likes. They have a yacht club, but we have no boat, not even a dingy. I suggested he cool his jets, as we've only lived here 2 years and it's taken me all this time to get the current house decorated. :biggrin-new:

But he won't listen, just keeps looking up places in the development that are on the market. The biggest problem is they have really tough deed restrictions. They won't allow fences, and that's not cool for greyhounds who love to run around.

Gina
05-24-2012, 11:09 PM
That place is lovely, looks like a high end country club. The party should be nice.

Our place isn't as fancy. The neighborhood has their picnics along the grassy area on a tiny little lake. SR found a place south of us, in Osprey, that he really likes. They have a yacht club, but we have no boat, not even a dingy. I suggested he cool his jets, as we've only lived here 2 years and it's taken me all this time to get the current house decorated. :biggrin-new:

But he won't listen, just keeps looking up places in the development that are on the market. The biggest problem is they have really tough deed restrictions. They won't allow fences, and that's not cool for greyhounds who love to run around.
You do so have a dingy! *looks at SR* JK! :friendly_wink:

yeah HG that place is ritzy! Wonderful for parties and get-togethers.

Rock: Don't be so hard on yourself, they'd let you in for sure! They can always use a lawnmower guy or some such! (I realize I don't know you well enough to crack on you like this but from what I've seen you have a good sense of humor so DONT KILL ME)

Thank you. :smile-new:

Hawkgirl
05-25-2012, 02:20 AM
I don't think they'd let me in that fancy pants place!http://www.smiley-lol.com/smiley/metiers/uniformes/flictape.gif

The community does have nice amenities and the public areas are very lush and well taken care of. Our HOA is good for something.:cool:

Hawkgirl
05-25-2012, 02:23 AM

Yeah, with dogs, you need a fence.

I'm always looking at nearby subdivisions as well. My goal is to get into A GL homes community. Their "Canyon" developments are gorgeous. They have completed 3 subdivisions...are selling out a 4th and there is a 5th planned within the next 4 years. SLW, you and SR should move to Palm Beach, SR will feel like he never left Jersey.....

SarasotaRepub
05-27-2012, 09:31 PM
Yeah, with dogs, you need a fence.

I'm always looking at nearby subdivisions as well. My goal is to get into A GL homes community. Their "Canyon" developments are gorgeous. They have completed 3 subdivisions...are selling out a 4th and there is a 5th planned within the next 4 years. SLW, you and SR should move to Palm Beach, SR will feel like he never left Jersey.....

LOL!!! :biggrin-new: I like the West Coast just fine but I'm always on the prowl for the "next" house...

Here is the next place...maybe. (http://www.southbaycommunity.com/outside_home.asp)

SaintLouieWoman
05-27-2012, 09:50 PM
LOL!!! :biggrin-new: I like the West Coast just fine but I'm always on the prowl for the "next" house...

Here is the next place...maybe. (http://www.southbaycommunity.com/outside_home.asp)

He's way more enthusiastic about moving than I am. I've moved twice in the last 6 years---and I have a ton of stuff, heavy furniture, lots of collectibles. After the health issues the last 2 years, I'm in no mood to pack and move again. Are you hearing me, SR? :biggrin-new:

SarasotaRepub
05-27-2012, 09:57 PM
He's way more enthusiastic about moving than I am. I've moved twice in the last 6 years---and I have a ton of stuff, heavy furniture, lots of collectibles. After the health issues the last 2 years, I'm in no mood to pack and move again. Are you hearing me, SR? :biggrin-new:

Ehhh??? What??? Speak up my dear...I KNEW you wanted to move there!! We'll go look tomorrow!!! :friendly_wink:

RobJohnson
05-29-2012, 02:38 PM

I don't have a lake but I have a big back yard.
You can have the party at my house or it might be easier if you just move in. :love_heart:

RobJohnson
05-29-2012, 02:48 PM

Not bad for 849k.