PDA

View Full Version : Does your Christianity make you feel Lonely?

wannaberocker
05-26-2012, 09:30 AM
Background info

So my work sent me on a month long training trip, along with 18 other people from different branches. A few of the people I knew and a few I meet for the first time. Iím in my mid 20s and have tried to be a practicing bible believing Christian since I was around 20 or 21.

Anyways, so as I hung out with the same people everyday for a month. I felt very lonely, even though I was surrounded by people. I sort of felt like my Christian life did not match how they lived their lives. Every night, we all would go out and they would all drink. I donít drink so Iíd be the driver. The groups fun would revolve around flirting with each other (BTW almost everyone in the group is married apart from me and a few others), drinking and making sexual jokes. This was an every night thing and I simply didnít fit into the whole picture. I could stay in my hotel room and not go out with them, but I didnít want to close myself out from people.
The whole month and situation made me feel incredibly lonely as a Christian. I felt that my beliefs dictated my actions, but my actions disconnected me from the group.

I remember an incident when this girl who was in training with me. She was fairly attractive and single and the married guys in my training would flirt with her all the time and she would flirt back. Now Im single and one day she started asking me about why I was always quiet and didnít drink or party with them to much. I shared that I was a Christian and that is why I tried to stay away from drinking and the sexual talk. After that point that girl pretty much started to treat me like, I was the ďGayĒ friend. In other words I turned into a completely non sexual entity for that girl. That annoyed me a bit and sort of made me feel even more isolated because of my beliefs.

I know that as Christians we are not like the world we live in. Yet, the isolation kills me at times. If there are any Christian folks on here with some words to share please do. Everyone is welcome to reply btw not just fellow Christians lol.

Rockntractor
05-26-2012, 09:57 AM
You did right, you're going to have times like that now and then, sort of being tempted in the desert 40 days.
Next time find a local church for a break on the weekends, it doesn't matter what denomination.

Gina
05-26-2012, 10:03 AM
I Corinthians 5:9 I wrote to you in my epistle not to keep company with sexually immoral people. 10 Yet I certainly did not mean with the sexually immoral people of this world, or with the covetous, or extortioners, or idolaters, since then you would need to go out of the world. 11 But now I have written to you not to keep company with anyone named a brother, who is sexually immoral, or covetous, or an idolater, or a reviler, or a drunkard, or an extortionerónot even to eat with such a person.

12 For what have I to do with judging those also who are outside? Do you not judge those who are inside? 13 But those who are outside God judges. Therefore ďput away from yourselves the evil person."

It can be discouraging to see others living life like there are no consequences, but anyone who reads the Word and believes it, knows that is not true. I feel sad and worry for people's eternal soul when they live like there's no tomorrow but we are responsible to live as an example of Christ's love and pray for people but ultimately it's up to Him to call them to Himself.

I sort of felt like my Christian life did not match how they lived their lives.
That's a good thing! We are all sinners but a Christian makes an effort not to sin. We still DO but we are convicted by the Holy Spirit when we do. That is a gift from God.

The whole month and situation made me feel incredibly lonely as a Christian. I felt that my beliefs dictated my actions, but my actions disconnected me from the group.
If your beliefs are in line with the Bible, then they SHOULD dictate your actions. Naturally it disconnects you from a group of people who don't share your beliefs.

2 Corinthians 11:2 For I am jealous for you with godly jealousy. For I have betrothed you to one husband, that I may present you as a chaste virgin to Christ.
As Christians, Christ is our husband and just because we FEEL lonely doesn't mean He isn't with us every step of the way. Pray that your feelings will be in line with that reality.

In other words I turned into a completely non sexual entity for that girl. That annoyed me a bit and sort of made me feel even more isolated because of my beliefs.
Well, yah. You said you're a Bible believing Christian. Then you know that sex is reserved for marriage. The flesh will make you feel the way you described but again, isolation isn't really what it is.

I know that as Christians we are not like the world we live in. Yet, the isolation kills me at times. It's being in the world but not of the world. Feelings sometimes lie! Don't be discouraged. Christ was tempted with everything we are tempted with, we can go to Him and be made whole. Being 'in Christ' is the goal.

I hope I helped. God probably used you as an example to some of the people you were with. Rejoice that the way you conducted yourself is a good reflection on your love for God and may influence someone to seek Him.

Janice
05-26-2012, 10:24 AM
I accepted long ago, I should either go the way of the world or go the way of the Word. And if I decided to retain christian values then the world would on some level shun me. I could vie to be popular and well liked for typical worldly values, or I could be more circumspect and be more concerned about about my soul and eternity. In my view as scripture says: 'For what shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world and forfeits his soul?'

So at some point I had to make a choice. And so it is a bit lonelier to be on the lords side sometimes. But as is says: 'Ye are the salt of the earth: but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be salted? It is thenceforth good for nothing, but to be cast out, and to be trodden under foot of men.' Today salt is almost universally accessible, and relatively cheap. However, years ago salt was difficult to obtain, and so it was a highly valued trade item. Until the 20th century, salt was one of the prime movers of national economies and wars. In the Middle Ages, salt was known as 'White Gold.' In the first century CE, Roman soldiers of the time were paid a salarium, the basis of our modern word salary. Salarium is Latin for salt.

The Bible contains numerous references to salt. In various contexts, it is used metaphorically to signify permanence, loyalty, durability, fidelity, usefulness, value, and purification. It was also used as a component of ceremonial offerings, and as a unit of exchange. Ye are the salt of the earth. Salt also preserves from corruption.

The natural order of things is for mankind to become more and more corrupt. And the more we as a society allow ourselves to become corrupted, the more we will debase ourselves. This is why we have the Word. And the Law. There are morals and values and teachings based on these things. But base human desires are always at war with what is true and right and moral and just. This is where we can make a difference. But.. the price is ... we sometimes have to stand alone. Or apart from our fellow travelers. And this is the choice. Are we willing to 'sell our birthright' for a mess of pottage? That is do we settle on immediate and temporary gratification to please the flesh? Or do we look to the eternal side of the ledger... perhaps 10,000 years or 10 million years from now?

That is somewhat how I see it.

Odysseus
05-26-2012, 10:45 AM
Okay, the Jewish agnostic will now make the point that the Christians have missed:

You weren't alone. Your faith tells you that God is always with you. Going out with the others simply subjected you to the noise of their lifestyle, and distracted you from the things that strengthen your faith, and help you resist temptation, and that's all that this was. The partying, the drinking and flirtations were just temptations, but because you were separated from your comfort zone (church, friends, etc.), you were more vulnerable. It was especially difficult because an attractive girl was expressing interest in you, and you wouldn't have been bothered by her platonic friendship if she hadn't been tempting. But, you didn't indulge.

Think of it this way: You're on a diet, and you spent a month at an all you can eat buffet without indulging. Sure, the various goodies were tempting, but you have a long term goal and you stuck with it. Give yourself credit for that.

Gina
05-26-2012, 10:50 AM
As Christians, Christ is our husband and just because we FEEL lonely doesn't mean He isn't with us every step of the way. Pray that your feelings will be in line with that reality.
Ahem. :)

AmPat
05-26-2012, 11:22 AM
Okay, the Jewish agnostic will now make the point that the Christians have missed:

You weren't alone. Your faith tells you that God is always with you. Going out with the others simply subjected you to the noise of their lifestyle, and distracted you from the things that strengthen your faith, and help you resist temptation, and that's all that this was. The partying, the drinking and flirtations were just temptations, but because you were separated from your comfort zone (church, friends, etc.), you were more vulnerable. It was especially difficult because an attractive girl was expressing interest in you, and you wouldn't have been bothered by her platonic friendship if she hadn't been tempting. But, you didn't indulge.

Think of it this way: You're on a diet, and you spent a month at an all you can eat buffet without indulging. Sure, the various goodies were tempting, but you have a long term goal and you stuck with it. Give yourself credit for that.For a Jewish heathen, your analysis is very good. I applaud this Christian. "Christians are in the world but not of it."

FlaGator
05-26-2012, 11:32 AM
How can I be lonely when I can talk to the Creator of everything anytime I want?

NJCardFan
05-26-2012, 11:55 AM
Footprints

One night I had a dream--
I dreamed I was walking along the beach with the Lord
and across the sky flashed scenes from my life.
For each scene I noticed two sets of footprints,
one belonged to me and the other to the Lord.
When the last scene of my life flashed before me,
I looked back at the footprints in the sand.
I noticed that many times along the path of my life,
there was only one set of footprints.
I also noticed that it happened at the very lowest
and saddest times in my life.
This really bothered me and I questioned the Lord about it.
"Lord, you said that once I decided to follow you,
you would walk with me all the way,
but I have noticed that during the most troublesome times in my life
there is only one set of footprints.
"I don't understand why in times when I needed you most,
you should leave me."
The Lord replied, "My precious, precious child,
I love you and I would never, never leave you
during your times of trial and suffering.
"When you saw only one set of footprints,
it was then that I carried you.

AmPat
05-26-2012, 11:59 AM
How can I be lonely when I can talk to the Creator of everything anytime I want?I feel the same when I hike or run. I'm never alone and I feel His presence everywhere I go.

Starbuck
05-26-2012, 12:53 PM
How can I be lonely when I can talk to the Creator of everything anytime I want?

But he is lonely. Telling him he shouldn't be merely exacerbates his problem.

wannaberocker
05-26-2012, 01:47 PM

Think of it this way: You're on a diet, and you spent a month at an all you can eat buffet without indulging. Sure, the various goodies were tempting, but you have a long term goal and you stuck with it. Give yourself credit for that.

I like how you put it.

Though in a way the experience was also beneficial, as it took me out of my comfort zone.

wannaberocker
05-26-2012, 01:57 PM
Everyone gave some great advice.

I guess the temptation was on diff levels. One was the desire to be included and be a part of the group. Then it became more of an ego thing where was like "really a girl would rather approach married men than to talk to a single guy whoís Christian". Even though, I know that there are Godly Women out there and the right woman will come along, it was still an ego bruise.

But as a Christian, we must keep our focus on Christ and his Word. Thank for your support guys n girls.

Odysseus
05-26-2012, 06:47 PM
For a Jewish heathen, your analysis is very good. I applaud this Christian. "Christians are in the world but not of it."

Hey, I don't hold your heresy against you, do I? :friendly_wink:

I like how you put it.

Though in a way the experience was also beneficial, as it took me out of my comfort zone.

Thanks. And it gave you an opportunity for introspection and contemplation. By understanding the things that tempt you, you gain understanding of yourself and strengthen yourself accordingly.

Everyone gave some great advice.

I guess the temptation was on diff levels. One was the desire to be included and be a part of the group. Then it became more of an ego thing where was like "really a girl would rather approach married men than to talk to a single guy whoís Christian". Even though, I know that there are Godly Women out there and the right woman will come along, it was still an ego bruise.

But as a Christian, we must keep our focus on Christ and his Word. Thank for your support guys n girls.

Don't take it as an ego bruise. She didn't reject you. If anything, she thought that you were rejecting her, and cared enough to ask about it, and once she understood, she got as close to you as she could without overstepping the boundaries that you laid out. She obviously enjoyed your company and felt safe with you because she knew that you weren't hitting on her, but she was also interested enough in you to come to you in the first place. If she wasn't intrigued, she wouldn't have bothered asking, and if she didn't like you and enjoy your company, she wouldn't have made you her confidant. Basically, you had taken yourself out of play and she still came to you. That should boost your ego, not bruise it.

wannaberocker
05-27-2012, 09:01 AM
Don't take it as an ego bruise. She didn't reject you. If anything, she thought that you were rejecting her, and cared enough to ask about it, and once she understood, she got as close to you as she could without overstepping the boundaries that you laid out. She obviously enjoyed your company and felt safe with you because she knew that you weren't hitting on her, but she was also interested enough in you to come to you in the first place. If she wasn't intrigued, she wouldn't have bothered asking, and if she didn't like you and enjoy your company, she wouldn't have made you her confidant. Basically, you had taken yourself out of play and she still came to you. That should boost your ego, not bruise it.

I never really though of it that way. I guess at the end of the day if a girl decides to distance herself from me based on my life choices. Then there is no point for me to feel hurt by it because thatís a pretty big indication of any sort of romantic relationship not working out lol.

Odysseus
05-27-2012, 12:24 PM
I never really though of it that way. I guess at the end of the day if a girl decides to distance herself from me based on my life choices. Then there is no point for me to feel hurt by it because thatís a pretty big indication of any sort of romantic relationship not working out lol.

Exactly. Don't give up who are are or want to be to satisfy someone else's expectations.

This thread may have to be moved to the estrogen zone.

noonwitch
05-29-2012, 09:48 AM
It is better to be without than to be with someone who isn't right for you. It's also better to be alone than to have to pretend to be someone you aren't to catch a man (or in your case, a woman).

I was at a Christian singles picnic yesteday, and was surprised to see that some of the people brought beer. What I find at these events, because they are targeted to my age group, is that I am usually the only one who has never been married and the only one without children. I don't know-I'm not sure it's God's plan for me to hook up with some guy who's been married 3 times before, either, nor for me to be the stepmother to 20 somethings . But I like going to the events, and talking with people about faith and service, without having to deal with all that flirting and pretending.

FlaGator
05-29-2012, 10:31 AM
But he is lonely. Telling him he shouldn't be merely exacerbates his problem.

I was only speaking for myself. I never told him he shouldn't feel lonely. I was merely explaining how I overcome any of those feelings when they creep up. When I realized that I could speak with God at any time and in any situation went a long ways to giving me peace in any situation.

I watched both my mother and father pass away in the last year and I don't know if I could have dealt with it if it hadn't been for my awareness of God's loving presence.

I do understand, however, what he means when he speaks about being out with others and not being able to participate in some of there activities. What I realize when I start to feel this way is that those activities are what builds walls between me and God. Satan's menions use these feelings against me and to drive a wedge between myself and the Lord. Recognizing this goes along way to getting past those things.

wannaberocker
06-01-2012, 06:53 PM
It is better to be without than to be with someone who isn't right for you. It's also better to be alone than to have to pretend to be someone you aren't to catch a man (or in your case, a woman).

I was at a Christian singles picnic yesteday, and was surprised to see that some of the people brought beer. What I find at these events, because they are targeted to my age group, is that I am usually the only one who has never been married and the only one without children. I don't know-I'm not sure it's God's plan for me to hook up with some guy who's been married 3 times before, either, nor for me to be the stepmother to 20 somethings . But I like going to the events, and talking with people about faith and service, without having to deal with all that flirting and pretending.

Never been to such an event. Though it would be intresting to go and check it out. For some reason i have a feeling these events are pretty much the same as non christian singles events. The only diff being the sex happens after a few dates and not on the same day. That seems to be the reality of todays Christian folks, often they are Christian in name only.

Lanie
06-01-2012, 08:57 PM
Background info

So my work sent me on a month long training trip, along with 18 other people from different branches. A few of the people I knew and a few I meet for the first time. I’m in my mid 20s and have tried to be a practicing bible believing Christian since I was around 20 or 21.

Anyways, so as I hung out with the same people everyday for a month. I felt very lonely, even though I was surrounded by people. I sort of felt like my Christian life did not match how they lived their lives. Every night, we all would go out and they would all drink. I don’t drink so I’d be the driver. The groups fun would revolve around flirting with each other (BTW almost everyone in the group is married apart from me and a few others), drinking and making sexual jokes. This was an every night thing and I simply didn’t fit into the whole picture. I could stay in my hotel room and not go out with them, but I didn’t want to close myself out from people.

I remember an incident when this girl who was in training with me. She was fairly attractive and single and the married guys in my training would flirt with her all the time and she would flirt back. Now Im single and one day she started asking me about why I was always quiet and didn’t drink or party with them to much. I shared that I was a Christian and that is why I tried to stay away from drinking and the sexual talk. After that point that girl pretty much started to treat me like, I was the “Gay” friend. In other words I turned into a completely non sexual entity for that girl. That annoyed me a bit and sort of made me feel even more isolated because of my beliefs.

I know that as Christians we are not like the world we live in. Yet, the isolation kills me at times. If there are any Christian folks on here with some words to share please do. Everyone is welcome to reply btw not just fellow Christians lol.

Sounds like you might need a more conservative Christian group. Not a bad thing. There are some churches that are a lot stricter in their ideas and they often hold their own events. You might find that they can have fun without cussing and drinking.

SaintLouieWoman
06-01-2012, 09:35 PM
Whether it's Christian values or just basic beliefs in decency, you're starting a long and sometimes lonely path in business. I was in office equipment sales for over 30 years. I cannot tell you all the partying and drinking I saw. When I went on sales award trips, it was uncomfortable. I never fit in, was taunted for not drinking and smoking. When I started in sales, there were very few women in my industry. So it was tough trying to fit in with a bunch of guys who were telling all the raunchy stories, getting so drunk that sometimes I'd see them literally crawling on the sidewalk on their way to a morning meeting after way too much partying the previous night.

I decided that I just wouldn't participate. I was friendly, polite, never lectured them on their habits (which weren't the best in my eyes), but figured it was up to them. Many years later I had some of the much younger sales reps tell me how they looked up to me. I always thought that they thought I was Miss Priss. I just wasn't comfortable with their way of life and had to follow my own values.

Sometimes it's best to not fit in with people with different values. Hold true to yourself. It's tough sometimes. There was a guy when I first started in sales who did all the "bad" (to me) stuff. He got to be president of the company that I left. I used to beat myself up, as I had always out achieved him in sales and had a greater knowledge of the industry. I realized it was because I didn't do the suck up thing with the bosses, didn't participate, etc, but I also understood that I could look my clients in the eye and know that I had been ethical with them. He didn't know the meaning of the word ethics. To me my good name meant a lot, more than a few bucks.

You can make some accomodations, but decide what road you want and then be steady on your path.

wannaberocker
06-02-2012, 02:12 PM
Sometimes it's best to not fit in with people with different values. Hold true to yourself. It's tough sometimes. There was a guy when I first started in sales who did all the "bad" (to me) stuff. He got to be president of the company that I left. I used to beat myself up, as I had always out achieved him in sales and had a greater knowledge of the industry. I realized it was because I didn't do the suck up thing with the bosses, didn't participate, etc, but I also understood that I could look my clients in the eye and know that I had been ethical with them. He didn't know the meaning of the word ethics. To me my good name meant a lot, more than a few bucks.

You can make some accomodations, but decide what road you want and then be steady on your path.

That is how i get sometimes. The truth is during promotiontime the boss is likely to promote the guy or gal who hang out with him anddrink and party. But at the end of the day, if i lose my peace and gain a fewmore bucks. What good will that do, long term?

So i guess just got to keep the faith and walk that path of Godliness.

DumbAss Tanker
06-02-2012, 03:07 PM
I'm kind of like Ody, except older, crustier, and not Jewish. It's easy to confuse faith and humility with pride and sense of superiority, both in one's own mind and in talking to others. The latter of which, unfortunately, is how highly-observant believers very often come across when they express their reasons for refraining from the social activities of their peers.

Successfully communicating your reservations without sounding like you are being smug is a great challenge diplomatically, and given your age, imperfect results are to be expected. For instance, if you were actually interested in that girl, half of your explanation should have included how much you were interested in her and liked her wit, charm, etc., etc., and only the other half about your own faith-based social limits, but it sounds like it was 95%+ the second of those things.

Gina
06-02-2012, 03:42 PM
I'm kind of like Ody, except older, crustier, and not Jewish. It's easy to confuse faith and humility with pride and sense of superiority, both in one's own mind and in talking to others. The latter of which, unfortunately, is how highly-observant believers very often come across when they express their reasons for refraining from the social activities of their peers.

Successfully communicating your reservations without sounding like you are being smug is a great challenge diplomatically, and given your age, imperfect results are to be expected. For instance, if you were actually interested in that girl, half of your explanation should have included how much you were interested in her and liked her wit, charm, etc., etc., and only the other half about your own faith-based social limits, but it sounds like it was 95%+ the second of those things.

It's certainly true that Christians can come across as holier-than-thou, especially to people who have had bad experiences with a church or a religious person. God knows who he's chosen for each person and when that person comes along you'll know it without a doubt. Use this time, while waiting for that person, to get to know God better and yourself too. That way you have a whole, happy person to offer. :smile-new:

ps. there's someone older than ody? dang

DumbAss Tanker
06-02-2012, 06:19 PM
ps. there's someone older than ody? dang

Quite a few of us, really, sorry to say.

And, at the risk of pissing off all the wimmins on the board, let me just say that if you ever want to get beyond being treated like a gay friend to a girl and she asks you about yourself, she isn't really asking about you, she is asking about how you relate to her. "It's complicated."

:biggrin-new:

SaintLouieWoman
06-02-2012, 06:36 PM
Quite a few of us, really, sorry to say.

And, at the risk of pissing off all the wimmins on the board, let me just say that if you ever want to get beyond being treated like a gay friend to a girl and she asks you about yourself, she isn't really asking about you, she is asking about how you relate to her. "It's complicated."

:biggrin-new:
You're very astute. Wisdom indeed comes with age. :smile-new:

Another tip, guys who come on too strong too quickly make many women run the other way---quickly. The reverse is also true. You're also right that a long rant quoting many bible verses can also have an effect that isn't positive. Just being yourself and not always going along with the drinking can be part of someone's persona, doesn't have to be accompanied with a long explanation.

I used to have a major account in my territory---a company that produces and markets alcoholic beverages, a major company---where quite a few of the employees don't drink. They never said much, but most likely many of them are reformed drinkers. After many years with a company that gives away a certain amount of the product to employees, some of the drinking was bound to carch up with them.

Long story short that no extended explanation is needed for anything. I've been downright harrassed by some folks for not drinking. I simply don't enjoy it. I've never had a drinking problem, as have hardly ever had much to drink, but simply don't want to. One woman called me "Ms Priss". Now that ticked me off and I have had very little to do with her since. It's like I used to say at my old job, "Just leave me alone". :biggrin-new:

SarasotaRepub
06-02-2012, 06:52 PM
Oh for Christ sake have a shot of JD and stop acting like a big pussy. :nono:

wannaberocker
06-02-2012, 07:16 PM

Another tip, guys who come on too strong too quickly make many women run the other way---quickly. The reverse is also true. You're also right that a long rant quoting many bible verses can also have an effect that isn't positive. Just being yourself and not always going along with the drinking can be part of someone's persona, doesn't have to be accompanied with a long explanation.

I used to have a major account in my territory---a company that produces and markets alcoholic beverages, a major company---where quite a few of the employees don't drink. They never said much, but most likely many of them are reformed drinkers. After many years with a company that gives away a certain amount of the product to employees, some of the drinking was bound to carch up with them.

Long story short that no extended explanation is needed for anything. I've been downright harrassed by some folks for not drinking. I simply don't enjoy it. I've never had a drinking problem, as have hardly ever had much to drink, but simply don't want to. One woman called me "Ms Priss". Now that ticked me off and I have had very little to do with her since. It's like I used to say at my old job, "Just leave me alone". :biggrin-new:

Yeah, I can understand getting to "quote the bible happy" can be a turn off. The only reason I told that girl was because she asked why I didnít drink. I told her that itís just not my thing and I donít like the taste. Then she said that I should try diff type of drinks because not all taste the same and maybe ill try one that I like. So at that point I told her that i didnít drink because i was a Christian.

Regarding being viewed as a gay friend. I think a lot of it has to do with the understanding that you will not get much action with a Christian man or woman. So I think Iím pretty much over the girl viewing me as a non sexual being. It was something that just annoyed me for a time. Not every person is looking for a relationship, some are just looking for a good time.

wannaberocker
06-02-2012, 07:17 PM
Oh for Christ sake have a shot of JD and stop acting like a big pussy. :nono:

IM told by JD drinkers that it taste like crap.

SarasotaRepub
06-02-2012, 08:33 PM
IM told by JD drinkers that it taste like crap.

http://letterstoadyingdream.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/bitch_slap.jpg

Hawkgirl
06-02-2012, 09:15 PM

Another tip, guys who come on too strong too quickly make many women run the other way---quickly. The reverse is also true. You're also right that a long rant quoting many bible verses can also have an effect:

If a man starts quoting a bible verse if I start a conversation with him......I'm running the other way.:cold: Just be yourself and don't try to hard. If you're truly a Christian, it will come out in your deeds, not in your words.

In my experiences, men or people in general that recite bible versus are usually the most wicked.

I'll bow out of this thread now.

Starbuck
06-02-2012, 11:25 PM
If a man starts quoting a bible verse if I start a conversation with him......I'm running the other way.:cold: Just be yourself and don't try to hard. If you're truly a Christian, it will come out in your deeds, not in your words.

In my experiences, men or people in general that recite bible versus are usually the most wicked.....

Yeah. Why is it that people who don't drink because of Christian beliefs feel compelled to explain to everyone why they behave as they do?
I just don't drink. End of sentence.
"Why"?......Tell em why, if they really want to know; it's not good for you; makes me dizzy; I'm driving; it's just a choice I made long ago..........You can say lots of things that do not come across as condescending.

wannaberocker
06-03-2012, 12:37 AM

In my experiences, men or people in general that recite bible versus are usually the most wicked.

I'll bow out of this thread now.

Im not the type the Quotes the bible. I let people have their own beliefs and i keep my own beliefs. I dont try to convert people or try to force my beliefs upon them. So no when the girl asked me, i didnt quote the bible to her.

wannaberocker
06-03-2012, 12:42 AM
Yeah. Why is it that people who don't drink because of Christian beliefs feel compelled to explain to everyone why they behave as they do?
"Why"?......Tell em why, if they really want to know; it's not good for you; makes me dizzy; I'm driving; it's just a choice I made long ago..........You can say lots of things that do not come across as condescending.

Wait so telling someone the core reason for why you dont drink is condescending?

Gina
06-03-2012, 08:47 AM
Wait so telling someone the core reason for why you dont drink is condescending?

Like I said earlier, Christians can come across as holier-than-thou, especially to people who have had bad experiences with a church or a religious person. It may or may not be the case in reality, but everyone views things and people based on their experiences. No need to be lonely, God is with you, He promised.

SR: lmao @ that graphic

wannaberocker
06-03-2012, 09:22 AM
Like I said earlier, Christians can come across as holier-than-thou, especially to people who have had bad experiences with a church or a religious person. It may or may not be the case in reality, but everyone views things and people based on their experiences. No need to be lonely, God is with you, He promised.

SR: lmao @ that graphic

Gotcha. Though i donít get why that past experience should taint people's view of every Christian they come in contact with. There are people of different faiths who abstain from eating or drink certain items. Yet, iv never heard people say "oh look at that holier-than- thou Hindu who doesnít eat beef" or "look at that holier-than- thou Muslim who doesnít eat pork".

Starbuck
06-03-2012, 10:05 AM
Yes, it is. Almost everyone professes to be Christian unless they profess to be Jewish, Muslim, and so forth. A few simply say that they are simply non-Christian.
Declaring that your behavior in an exemplary model that all good Christians should follow is condescending. It implies that you are above all other professed Christians and have interpreted the Bible properly, and they either have misinterpreted the Bible or are purposefully ignoring its teachings. Condescending.

wannaberocker
06-03-2012, 01:20 PM
Yes, it is. Almost everyone professes to be Christian unless they profess to be Jewish, Muslim, and so forth. A few simply say that they are simply non-Christian.
Declaring that your behavior in an exemplary model that all good Christians should follow is condescending. It implies that you are above all other professed Christians and have interpreted the Bible properly, and they either have misinterpreted the Bible or are purposefully ignoring its teachings. Condescending.

Based on that standard Christ was the most condescending of all.

Starbuck
06-03-2012, 02:31 PM
Based on that standard Christ was the most condescending of all.

See? There you go again. Your brand of Christianity teaches you not to drink. But Catholics are not taught that. For that matter most brands of Christianity tolerate drinking in some form or another. But you take it upon yourself to wave your flag about, tell everyone that you have Christ's message, and imply that the message they have through their church is simply inadequate. You alone have the correct message and it was delivered through Christ when he said.....blah, blah, blah..

Condescending.

wannaberocker
06-03-2012, 03:17 PM
See? There you go again. Your brand of Christianity teaches you not to drink. But Catholics are not taught that. For that matter most brands of Christianity tolerate drinking in some form or another. But you take it upon yourself to wave your flag about, tell everyone that you have Christ's message, and imply that the message they have through their church is simply inadequate. You alone have the correct message and it was delivered through Christ when he said.....blah, blah, blah..

Condescending.

At what point did I tell anyone they should not drink? Not drinking is my personal choice based on the teachings of the Bible. Does Christianity out and out forbid drinking? No it does not and nor do I. Christianity however, does forbid drunkenness. You however, seem to take the approach that there is no moral truth and it is all relative (which is ok for your personal life). However, when you take that stance and start to impose it upon Christianity itself, then you become the aggressor and the condescending one.

Imposing a relative framework on a faith centered in exclusivity and absolutes is indeed very condescending.

Gina
06-03-2012, 08:03 PM
Gotcha. Though i donít get why that past experience should taint people's view of every Christian they come in contact with. There are people of different faiths who abstain from eating or drink certain items. Yet, iv never heard people say "oh look at that holier-than- thou Hindu who doesnít eat beef" or "look at that holier-than- thou Muslim who doesnít eat pork".

Christians can be made fun of, it's socially acceptable. There are also a lot of hypocrites.. Christian and non, who make it harder for the rest of us. Although we're all hypocrites to a certain extent because we're all sinners. It's not fair but it is that way in my view.

It's not PC to talk smack about Hindus or Muslims!

Lanie
06-03-2012, 09:06 PM
Whether it's Christian values or just basic beliefs in decency, you're starting a long and sometimes lonely path in business. I was in office equipment sales for over 30 years. I cannot tell you all the partying and drinking I saw. When I went on sales award trips, it was uncomfortable. I never fit in, was taunted for not drinking and smoking. When I started in sales, there were very few women in my industry. So it was tough trying to fit in with a bunch of guys who were telling all the raunchy stories, getting so drunk that sometimes I'd see them literally crawling on the sidewalk on their way to a morning meeting after way too much partying the previous night.

I would expect that behavior out of teenagers, not adults. I was asking the other day what type of loser needs their friends to drink or smoke with them. Going by the rest of your post, it sounds like they might have been jealous too.

FlaGator
06-03-2012, 09:08 PM

I don't drink, but not because of my Christian beliefs. I don't drink because I'm an alcoholic. For those groups who believe that Christ forbids people imbibing, they are just plain interpreting Scripture in a way that the Holy Spirit never intended. The Bible never tells us not to drink. It tells us not to drink to excess or to get drunk. Then again the Bible is against doing most anything to excess which is very good advice.

wannaberocker
06-03-2012, 09:21 PM
I don't drink, but not because of my Christian beliefs. I don't drink because I'm an alcoholic. For those groups who believe that Christ forbids people imbibing, they are just plain interpreting Scripture in a way that the Holy Spirit never intended. The Bible never tells us not to drink. It tells us not to drink to excess or to get drunk. Then again the Bible is against doing most anything to excess which is very good advice.

You are correct the Bible dosnt forbid drinking, but forbids drunkness. That is why i refuze to drink because i always though the point of drinking was to get drunk. So if being drunk is forbiden, then why drink to begin with.

Hawkgirl
06-03-2012, 11:25 PM
You are correct the Bible dosnt forbid drinking, but forbids drunkness. That is why i refuze to drink because i always though the point of drinking was to get drunk. So if being drunk is forbiden, then why drink to begin with.

You can have a drink just to take the edge off at a party...to unwind, to be social, to celebrate an occasion, a drink with dinner..etc. Most people I know don't drink to get drunk, but it can happen. It's happened to me a few times in my lifetime...not a feeling I enjoyed. I love ordering a drink on vacations overlooking the pool or ocean. It does not make me a drunk or an alcoholic. I occasionally have a glass of wine with dinner if I'm out. It does not make me a drunk.

Now I do admit, during a few difficult periods in my life, I found myself enjoying a drink every night after work. I thought I was developing a problem so I made a conscious decision to stop after work drinks. It was easy. So I guess it wasn't a problem..just a way for me to relieve some stress.

Like FLAgator said, anything in excess, is damaging.