PDA

View Full Version : Another Tax In Illinois

Apocalypse
05-27-2012, 09:57 PM
State House votes to add $1 to pack of cigarettes to help Medicaid
SPRINGFIELD — Another major reform to the state’s Medicaid program fell into place for Springfield lawmakers Friday with House passage of a $1-per-pack cigarette tax increase to help plug a $2.7 billion hole in the state’s health-care program for the poor.

http://www.suntimes.com/12772730-761/state-house-votes-to-add-1-to-pack-of-cigarettes-to-help-medicaid.html

Meanwhile gas-stations all along the boarder of Illinois are stocking up on much cheaper cigarettes in anticipation of the flood of smokers driving across the boarder for the cheap smokes.

With the average price of a pack in Ill. being right now $7.75. A one dollar increase could see the state with the highest average price of all the states.

Chuck58
05-27-2012, 10:13 PM
We saw the same situation last year when we were back in Maine. We'd drive down to NH to buy cigarettes at a store in NH that sat about 100 yds from the Taxachusetts state line. Two thirds of the cars in the parking lot at that store were from Massachusetts. The same applies at the NH state liquor stores. They get more business from Massachusetts than from New Hampshire.

I talked with the guy who has the smoke shop. He said he and similar businesses would often get Massachusetts state cars in their lots taking down the plate numbers of the Mass cars. They finally complained and NH sued Massachusetts and it stopped. It was just harassment since those Mass officials couldn't do anything to the residents, but it scared some of them away.

Novaheart
05-27-2012, 11:24 PM
Quit smoking and you won't have to pay.

You have to question the judgement of someone willing to spend $300-$500 a month on cigarettes.

Apocalypse
05-27-2012, 11:40 PM
Nova, it's an unfair tax that targets low income and poor people.

Answer this, who primarily buys cigarettes? The wealthy or the poor?

ThinkingBig
05-28-2012, 11:19 AM
Meanwhile gas-stations all along the boarder of Illinois are stocking up on much cheaper cigarettes in anticipation of the flood of smokers driving across the boarder for the cheap smokes.

Because nothing says frugal like driving outta your way to save $1. While they're at these gas stations they can fill up, and pay federal gas tax.

Also, since smokers are determined to live shorter lives, why not get some of their money now? I mean, you can't take it with you.:Taps4:

Gina
05-28-2012, 03:10 PM
stocking up means buying more than 1 pack thus saving more than $1. I think you've had enough to smoke. Set it down.

Apocalypse
05-28-2012, 03:12 PM
Because nothing says frugal like driving outta your way to save $1. While they're at these gas stations they can fill up, and pay federal gas tax.

Also, since smokers are determined to live shorter lives, why not get some of their money now? I mean, you can't take it with you.:Taps4:
Shorter lives or not. Its their choice.

Funny how the left keep trying to legalize smoking dope. But keep trying harder to make people stop smoking cigs. Which has far fewer carcinogens then marijuana and less addictive.

And where I live near the Ill. boarder. The QCA one side of the river is Moline Ill. Pack of cigs $7.75 a pack.

Bettendorf Iowa a mere drive across the I74 bridge about half mile or less. Iowa is $6.40 a pack.

They raise the pack tax by $1.00. That would make a pack $8.75. A total $2.35 higher then a short drive across a bridge. Now most who drive across the boarder of the state to buy cigs are going to buy more then one pack. Even if they bought just one. I'm sure the $2.35 their saving more then pays for the gas.

Then take Chicago. About a half hour drive to Indiana where they can buy them for about $6.00 right now.

Now most interior cities wont drive the distance. Like Rockford. But all your boarder residents will.

Chuck58
05-28-2012, 03:21 PM
Quit smoking and you won't have to pay.

You have to question the judgement of someone willing to spend $300-$500 a month on cigarettes.

Who spends $300 to $500 a month for cigarettes? Bugler tobacco is about $30 a can. I roll my own. I'm getting roughly 30 packs per can. That's a buck a pack.

Gina
05-28-2012, 03:24 PM
Who spends $300 to $500 a month for cigarettes? Bugler tobacco is about $30 a can. I roll my own. I'm getting roughly 30 packs per can. That's a buck a pack.

Oh great Chuck, now people are going to drive to your house!

Chuck58
05-28-2012, 03:30 PM
Oh great Chuck, now people are going to drive to your house!

Tell them to drive up to the Lowe's Supermarket in Chama NM, or the convenience store nearby where it's a few cents cheaper. Bugler is available all over, but I will roll them a pack for.....say a couple of dollars, including labor of course.

SaintLouieWoman
05-28-2012, 04:48 PM
It's weird that libs can't understand that if they raise the taxes too high, they'll end up decreasing their revenues as the residents of the tax crazy states will just go elsewhere.

Actually the folks in Illinois will not only save money on cigs by going across the state line, but most likely will save on gas. Since St Louis is on the border with Illinois, quite a few folks I worked with lived in Illinois. They always filled their tanks after work before returning to the land of taxes.

Actually, in Illinois $500 a month might be fairly accurate. At $8.75 a pack, 50 packs would be $437.50 a month for someone who smokes about a pack and a half a day. Of course there would be some economy of scale buying them by the carton, but many lower income people probably couldn't put out that much at once.

It's a cruel tax. I've never figured out how people with low incomes could afford cigs and booze. If they're unemployed or underemployed, that sure is one hellacious tax on them.

TVDOC
05-28-2012, 06:26 PM
It's weird that libs can't understand that if they raise the taxes too high, they'll end up decreasing their revenues as the residents of the tax crazy states will just go elsewhere.

Actually the folks in Illinois will not only save money on cigs by going across the state line, but most likely will save on gas. Since St Louis is on the border with Illinois, quite a few folks I worked with lived in Illinois. They always filled their tanks after work before returning to the land of taxes.

Actually, in Illinois $500 a month might be fairly accurate. At $8.75 a pack, 50 packs would be $437.50 a month for someone who smokes about a pack and a half a day. Of course there would be some economy of scale buying them by the carton, but many lower income people probably couldn't put out that much at once.

It's a cruel tax. I've never figured out how people with low incomes could afford cigs and booze. If they're unemployed or underemployed, that sure is one hellacious tax on them.

Same thing happened in NY, a carton in NYC now costs $150, and their tax revenue dropped by 40%......they ran around in circles for a while, and spent all kinds of money trying to catch folks buying cigarettes in other states, until the mafia decided that it was more profitable to sell bootleg smokes than drugs (and the risks were considerably less), so the mob started buying them wholesale in low tax states, and counterfeiting the NY tax stamps, and started selling them everywhere at half the price.

doc

JB
05-28-2012, 06:30 PM
Quit smoking and you won't have to pay.Quit being gay and you can get married. :rolleyes:

Why is it you only use the "deal with it" line when it suits you?