PDA

View Full Version : Sheriff: Father kills man sexually abusing his daughter

Rockntractor
06-11-2012, 09:14 PM
(CNN) -- A Texas father caught a man sexually assaulting his 4-year-old daughter and punched him in the head repeatedly, killing him, authorities said.

The father was casually acquainted with the alleged abuser, said Lavaca County Sheriff Micah Harmon.

Neither has been publicly identified.

The girl was left inside the family's house during the social gathering, while other members of her family were tending to horses, the sheriff said.

The alleged abuser was known for his horse-grooming abilities, Harmon said.

The father returned to the house, caught the man in the act, and stopped him by striking him in the head several times, Harmon said.

The man was pronounced dead on the scene, while the daughter was taken to a local hospital in Victoria, Texas, for examinations before being released.

The incident took place Saturday.

Harmon described the girl as "OK besides the obvious mental trauma."

Asked whether they would press charges against the father, the sheriff responded, "You have a right to defend your daughter. He acted in defense of his third person. Once the investigation is completed we will submit it to the district attorney who then submits it to the grand jury, who will decide if they will indict him."

Harmon described the dad as "very remorseful," adding that he didn't know the man was going to die.

Authorities were withholding the deceased man's name while they notified next of kin. Officials did not know immediately if he has a prior criminal history.

Lavaca County Precinct Judge Alene Lyons, who is coordinating information in the case including autopsy results, said Monday

that a preliminary autopsy report indicated the victim "died from blunt-force head and neck injuries."

"It will take six weeks to get the full report back because they also did a toxicology report," Lyons said.
http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/11/justice/texas-abuser-killed/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

Lanie
06-11-2012, 09:20 PM
Chances are, he wasn't only defending his daughter, but doing the rest of society a favor. People who sexually abuse children almost never rehabilitate. I really hope the grand jury don't indict.

Hubie
06-11-2012, 10:19 PM
Chances are, he wasn't only defending his daughter, but doing the rest of society a favor. People who sexually abuse children almost never rehabilitate. I really hope the grand jury don't indict.

If they do, he'll probably be able to plead temporary insanity and win. This is just awful all around. An abused little girl, a dead abuser, and a guilt-ridden father who killed the abuser in a fit of rage. A non-lethal @$$-whuppin' can be apologized for. A death? Not so much.

Hawkgirl
06-11-2012, 10:28 PM
Can't say I blame the father. If I were on the grand jury, I wouldn't indict. I suspect if any of them are parents, they won't. Being the mother to an almost 3 year old, I can understand the rage the father had.

Glad the pedophile is dead...one less in the world is a good thing.

NJCardFan
06-11-2012, 10:51 PM
Sadly there are going to be howls from the left about this. See, the left is always on the wrong side of the law. Criminals are just misunderstood people who've had a rough life thanks to the wealthy. Unborn babies, however, are disgusting parasites who need to be exterminated by any means necessary whenever the spirit moves them. Hell to them, a mother should be able to kill their children with no repercussion. Yeah, and it's conservatives who are twisted.

Retread
06-11-2012, 11:18 PM
He's in Texas. The GJ will no-bill in less than a day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T_QjEL0uUgo

Odysseus
06-12-2012, 07:31 AM
Sounds like the sheriff and the dad both made the right call.

obx
06-12-2012, 07:34 AM
I love a story with a happy ending.

Bailey
06-12-2012, 07:43 AM
If they do, he'll probably be able to plead temporary insanity and win. This is just awful all around. An abused little girl, a dead abuser, and a guilt-ridden father who killed the abuser in a fit of rage. A non-lethal @$$-whuppin' can be apologized for. A death? Not so much.

How is the death of a child abuser a bad thing? He had it coming and it should be celebrated.

Odysseus
06-12-2012, 09:09 AM
I love a story with a happy ending.

I'm not going to joke about this. That little girl will be traumatized, and killing that monster, while necessary, couldn't have been easy for the dad. It was the right thing to do, but this isn't a happy ending so much as the beginning of a long, hard road to recovering that child's innocence.

noonwitch
06-12-2012, 09:18 AM
1. He caught the guy in the act, therefore it is defense of a helpless child.
2. He didn't intend to kill the guy, there is no pre-meditation.

I don't think a grand jury anywhere would charge him.

Generation Why?
06-12-2012, 12:46 PM
How is the death of a child abuser a bad thing? He had it coming and it should be celebrated.

I wouldn't say celebrated. I have never really celebrated death. The father used necessary force to save and protect his daughter. A terrible man is dead. It is done.

Retread
06-19-2012, 06:26 PM
DA: Shiner father who killed molester won't face charges (http://www.khou.com/news/159620305.html)

SHINER, Texas A grand jury in Lavaca County has refused to indict a Shiner father who beat another man to death for allegedly molesting his 5-year-old daughter.

The father had called 911 to get an ambulance ---- for the attacker.

Lanie
06-19-2012, 10:13 PM

He had it coming, but I could see how the father might feel guilty. It's a death. Guilt is a natural reaction. That said, I still think the father did society a favor. I wouldn't be able to indict. I've often thought if I got called to a jury where child abuse was involved in a case, I'd have to stand back from lack of objectivity. Child abuse disgusts me so badly.

Wibbins
06-20-2012, 09:10 AM
Update for this thread:

The father will not face charges :D Thank God for judges that still believe in freedom of defending another person, I would NOT feel bad for killing another person if I caught them sexually assaulting a child, boy or girl.

Retread
06-20-2012, 11:27 AM
Update for this thread:

The father will not face charges :D Thank God for judges that still believe in freedom of defending another person, I would NOT feel bad for killing another person if I caught them sexually assaulting a child, boy or girl.

Beatcha by two posts.

911 call: "Come on! This guy is going to die on me! I don't know what to do!"

Story (http://www.chron.com/default/article/Dad-won-t-face-charges-in-alleged-attacker-s-death-3645751.php)

Odysseus
06-20-2012, 12:02 PM
He had it coming, but I could see how the father might feel guilty. It's a death. Guilt is a natural reaction. That said, I still think the father did society a favor. I wouldn't be able to indict. I've often thought if I got called to a jury where child abuse was involved in a case, I'd have to stand back from lack of objectivity. Child abuse disgusts me so badly.

That's not lack of objectivity, that's basic human decency. The issue before a jury is not whether the crime is evil, as most are, but the guilt or innocence of the suspect. You can despise the crime and still find someone not guilty if the evidence doesn't prove their guilt.

AmPat
06-20-2012, 03:29 PM
I wouldn't say celebrated. I have never really celebrated death. The father used necessary force to save and protect his daughter. A terrible man is dead. It is done.

Saves us all millions for a "Sandusky" type fiasco.

noonwitch
06-20-2012, 03:43 PM
Saves us all millions for a "Sandusky" type fiasco.

The Sandusky trial is a slam dunk for the prosecution, thanks to Bob Costas. I know NBC didn't broadcast the entire interview, but what they did show was pretty damning. If the rest of the interview is even more damning, it's probably better that NBC didn't air it prior to trial, and let potential jurors see it. A conviction is worthless if it's overturned on appeal.