PDA

View Full Version : Obama Backer Bill Maher: We Need to Get Over This American Exceptionalism Thing

Gina
06-12-2012, 10:08 AM
Can you imagine? (http://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiepavlich/2012/06/11/obama_backer_bill_maher_we_need_to_get_over_this_a merican_exceptionalism_thing)

Remember when President Obama said, "I believe in American exceptionalism, just as I suspect that the Brits believe in British exceptionalism and the Greeks believe in Greek exceptionalism," in April 2009? Well now Obama's million dollar man Bill Maher is saying we need to "get over" this whole American exceptionalism thing. Maher calls America a "stupid" country. If it's so stupid, why doesn't Maher take his show to a country that isn't stupid? Oh wait, because he couldn't say the things he does in any other country. Maher also repeatedly slams Mitt Romey's Mormon faith as well.
Video at link, if you can stomach it.

Odysseus
06-12-2012, 10:32 AM
Can you imagine? (http://townhall.com/tipsheet/katiepavlich/2012/06/11/obama_backer_bill_maher_we_need_to_get_over_this_a merican_exceptionalism_thing)

Ironically, the one argument that can be made for the stupidity of America is its tolerance of Bill Maher.

Gina
06-12-2012, 10:36 AM
Ironically, the one argument that can be made for the stupidity of America is its tolerance of Bill Maher.

Yeah when you think about it, exceptionalism has taken a hit. There's so many idiots, unpatriotic and self-absorbed people, that yes, a case could be made.

wasp69
06-12-2012, 11:07 AM
Who honestly cares what this pathetic, craven, overly provocative, little man has to say? He thinks his country is stupid? Get a refund from the obama campaign and go elsewhere.

America! Love it or carry your ass...

AmPat
06-12-2012, 12:07 PM
Well, as painful as it is to either say or admit, they are now correct. We are no more special than Greece/Spain/Portugal, etc, etc,,. We don't manufacture or produce. We sell or give away whatever technology we create so that it can be copied and sold back to us by our creditors. We borrow money from Chinese Communists to hand over to ungrateful nations that hate our guts. We liberate millions (whether they ask us or not), so that they can hate us even more. We hand our lazy, ungrateful population money taken from producing citizens in exchange for their votes.

No, I'd say that O Blather and his demons from Hell have succeeded beyond their wildest hopes in the last three years. They have fundamentally changed our once great nation into a hopeless, pathetic pile of third world laziness and poverty.

If we don't reverse the last three plus years of Marxist rule, we are finished. No, not necessarily overnight. More like a long, slow, deathbed disease where we get to watch the death for months and years.

I really want to be wrong. My hope is now pinned on a moderate Mass. politician that doesn't appear to have the principles or courage to attack from strong conservative ideas. Not much hope, but better than another four years of terminal Marxism.

Generation Why?
06-12-2012, 12:38 PM
The question is: How many people actually understand what American Exceptionalism means?

AmPat
06-12-2012, 12:51 PM
The question is: How many people actually understand what American Exceptionalism means?

I'd say about 47%.

Generation Why?
06-12-2012, 04:38 PM
I'd say about 47%.

I think that is a little generous

NJCardFan
06-12-2012, 09:42 PM
Well, as painful as it is to either say or admit, they are now correct. We are no more special than Greece/Spain/Portugal, etc, etc,,. We don't manufacture or produce. We sell or give away whatever technology we create so that it can be copied and sold back to us by our creditors. We borrow money from Chinese Communists to hand over to ungrateful nations that hate our guts. We liberate millions (whether they ask us or not), so that they can hate us even more. We hand our lazy, ungrateful population money taken from producing citizens in exchange for their votes.

No, I'd say that O Blather and his demons from Hell have succeeded beyond their wildest hopes in the last three years. They have fundamentally changed our once great nation into a hopeless, pathetic pile of third world laziness and poverty.

If we don't reverse the last three plus years of Marxist rule, we are finished. No, not necessarily overnight. More like a long, slow, deathbed disease where we get to watch the death for months and years.

I really want to be wrong. My hope is now pinned on a moderate Mass. politician that doesn't appear to have the principles or courage to attack from strong conservative ideas. Not much hope, but better than another four years of terminal Marxism.

Actually, our penchant for manufacturing went away long before Obama took office. As for the other stuff, that, too, has been happening for quite sometime. Obama and his cast of clowns only succeeded in hitting the gas pedal.

Hubie
06-13-2012, 12:28 AM
Well now Obama's million dollar man Bill Maher is saying we need to "get over" this whole American exceptionalism thing.

Oh, don't worry, Bill. Once Obama is done wrecking our economy and our national credit rating and, well, everything else he can get his grimy little claws on, American exceptionalism will be a thing of yesterday.

noonwitch
06-13-2012, 08:49 AM
Actually, our penchant for manufacturing went away long before Obama took office. As for the other stuff, that, too, has been happening for quite sometime. Obama and his cast of clowns only succeeded in hitting the gas pedal.

My grandpa had been saying for years before he died that the US doesn't make stuff anymore, so how can we make money if we don't have anything to sell?

Odysseus
06-13-2012, 09:36 AM
My grandpa had been saying for years before he died that the US doesn't make stuff anymore, so how can we make money if we don't have anything to sell?

That's not entirely true. We still produce a tremendous amount of industrial output, but that proportion has been shrinking relative to the rest of the world and our own economy.

The U.S. is the world's third largest exporter (http://useconomy.about.com/od/glossary/g/Exports.htm), after China (http://useconomy.about.com/od/worldeconomy/p/China_Economy.htm) and the European Union (http://useconomy.about.com/od/worldeconomy/p/european_union.htm). In 2011, it barely surpassed Germany (http://useconomy.about.com/od/worldeconomy/p/Germany.htm) in the dollar value of exports. (Source: CIA World Factbook, Exports Rank Order (https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/rankorder/2078rank.html)

Two-thirds of U.S. exports are material goods. The largest sub-category (25%) is capital equipment, such as computer equipment, semiconductors and medical equipment. The second largest (20%) is industrial machinery and equipment, including plastics, chemicals and petroleum products. Only 5% of exports are automotive, while 6% is food and beverages. Despite being such a large exporter, the U.S. exports less than it imports.

The remaining third of exports are services. In addition, the U.S. exports more services than it imports. That's because of U.S. success in exporting intellectual property, such as technical information. The three largest export categories in services are royalties and license fees, travel services and financial services (http://useconomy.about.com/od/glossary/g/Banking.htm).

What Does the U.S. Import?:

The U.S. imports (http://useconomy.about.com/od/glossary/g/Imports.htm) more than it exports. As a result, it's the world's largest importer. More than 80% of U.S. imports are goods. The largest category ($756.6 billion in 2011) is industrial machinery and equipment, which includes plastics and chemicals. Within this, the largest category is oil and related petroleum products. In 2011, the U.S. imported $439.3 billion of petroleum products, the highest level since 2008.

The second largest sub-category is consumer goods, which totaled a record of $513.7 billion in 2011. It imported $107.4 billion of food, feeds, and beverages. In addition, the U.S. imported $254.1 billion in automotive vehicles. For updated numbers, see U.S. Trade Deficit (http://useconomy.about.com/od/tradepolicy/p/Trade_Deficit.htm).(Source: U.S. Census, Exhibit 6 - Imports by End-Use Category (http://www.census.gov/foreign-trade/Press-Release/current_press_release/))(Article updated May 18, 2012)

http://useconomy.about.com/od/tradepolicy/p/Imports-Exports-Components.htm

So, it's not completely dismal. The reason that our exports have dropped relative to other parts of the world is that in a free global economy, your most expensive commodity has to compete with that same commodity in other countries, where it is cheaper. Our most expensive commodity, relative to the rest of the world, is labor, especially entry-level labor. Consequently, it's going to be cheaper to produce products overseas that are labor intensive but which do not require much sophistication in assembly, such as clothing or low-end electronics. The question is, do we want to get back in the business of using US labor to manufacture trinkets? Our real focus ought to be on energy, high tech manufacturing and agriculture. We need to be able to feed ourselves, be independent of foreign energy sources, and maintain an industrial base that can manufacture the strategic ordnance that we need in order to protect ourselves.

Retread
06-13-2012, 06:29 PM
Following up on Ody's post - the US is actually the world's #1 manufacturer but we do keep a greater portion of our goods rather than export them.

At the same time, improved computer programming, efficient auto-assembly and other improvements have reduced the number of people involved back to about 1940 levels.

AmPat
06-15-2012, 10:48 AM
Following up on Ody's post - the US is actually the world's #1 manufacturer but we do keep a greater portion of our goods rather than export them.

At the same time, improved computer programming, efficient auto-assembly and other improvements have reduced the number of people involved back to about 1940 levels.You forgot ATMs. Obama is not pleased with you.

Retread
06-15-2012, 07:28 PM
You forgot ATMs. Obama is not pleased with you.

And I hope he knows how much I care.......

DumbAss Tanker
06-17-2012, 12:10 PM
Obama meant that he conceived of it the same way a Packer fan believes in Green Bay Packer Exceptionalism, which is somewhat childish. Unfortunately the hard-over believers in it are messing with mixing their metaphysical beliefs into interactions with a world that doesn't share them, biasing judgments and decisions that should be based on facts with pure belief (Which is occasionally pure bunk) by displacing them with those articles of faith. At its best it resembles 'The White Man's Burden' of Kipling, at its worst the Herrenvolk beliefs of the Reich.

As many noted already, a good half of the current electorate and elective government are doing a pretty good job of demonstrating how unexceptional we can be. Fortunately this doesn't shake any fundamental ideological foundation of mine, nor as far as I can see does it conflict with what the large majority of the Founders saw in people of their time, either. I served America under arms for almost four decades, it wasn't because I believed in magic or destiny, it was because I chose to do that.

ThinkingBig
06-18-2012, 08:26 AM

What about this statement bothers you?

Exactly what areas are we "exceptional" in?

We spend more money on elections, that's for sure.

Bailey
06-18-2012, 08:39 AM

Our Healthcare is up there and our military if by far the tops, not to mention a host of other things, dont worry your palls are working hard to knock us from the tops.

Gina
06-18-2012, 08:58 AM

American Exceptionalism (http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2012/06/18/american_exceptionalism)

Let's see if you can read.

Jim54
06-18-2012, 09:19 AM

I can run down the road listening to my own music that i recorded in my own home. I can shoot off my front deck or wizz off of same depending on my preference. I can work and live where I want to because I worked at developing marketable skills which pay for my lifestyle. I had choices there, too.

I could have been a career criminal like my old man but at the last minute I chose the legal path. It's harder and less exciting but you generally live longer. The freedom and opportuniy we have is what makes this country exceptional. The wherewithal to act upon our freedom is what makes US exceptional. Those who can get up and do. Those who can't (or won't) sit back and review. It's all about the fight in the dog.

AmPat
06-18-2012, 11:26 AM
I can run down the road listening to my own music that i recorded in my own home. I can shoot off my front deck or wizz off of same depending on my preference. I can work and live where I want to because I worked at developing marketable skills which pay for my lifestyle. I had choices there, too.

I could have been a career criminal like my old man but at the last minute I chose the legal path. It's harder and less exciting but you generally live longer. The freedom and opportuniy we have is what makes this country exceptional. The wherewithal to act upon our freedom is what makes US exceptional. Those who can get up and do. Those who can't (or won't) sit back and review. It's all about the fight in the dog.
Or to a liberal like him (oh hell, all liberals are like him), he can choose to sit in mommy and daddy's basement and bitch and moan about an America and its government that he barely understands, while the rest of us pay for his laziness. That is "exceptionalism" to a liberal.