PDA

View Full Version : General Mills promotes "inclusion" by excluding traditional marriage supporters

Hubie
06-15-2012, 12:01 AM
http://www.startribune.com/business/159143335.html

General Mills is taking a stand against a proposed state constitutional amendment to ban same-sex marriage, becoming the most prominent corporate voice making such a public declaration.

Chief executive Ken Powell voiced the company's opposition Wednesday at a General Mills function attended by 400 gay and lesbian professionals, followed Thursday by a Web letter from the company's vice president for global diversity and inclusion, Ken Charles.

"We do not believe the proposed constitutional amendment is in the best interests of our employees or our state economy," Charles wrote. "We value diversity. We value inclusion."

Except the inclusion of those who support traditional marriage, of course. Typical liberal b.s.

linda22003
06-15-2012, 08:18 AM
They're not two mutually exclusive groups. I support traditional marriage by being in one myself for over 25 years, but if General Mills wants to do this I'm okay with it.

FlaGator
06-15-2012, 10:40 AM
Very hypocritical to talk of inclusion while at the same time excluding others. This would produce a horrific case of cognitive dissonance in any rational thinking person.

noonwitch
06-15-2012, 11:27 AM
I don't see where anyone is being excluded. Ignoring the demands of a group that appoints itself as the protector of traditional marriage is not excluding people who have traditional marriages.

I really don't think the General Mills cares about whether their customers are gay or straight, all they care about is selling lots of Capn Crunch.

AmPat
06-15-2012, 11:44 AM
I don't see where anyone is being excluded. Ignoring the demands of a group that appoints itself as the protector of traditional marriage is not excluding people who have traditional marriages.

I really don't think the General Mills cares about whether their customers are gay or straight, all they care about is selling lots of Capn Crunch.
Now you've done it :frown-new: Nanny Bloombergism are on to the Capn now. I wonder how long until we can only have one government approved bowl of reduced sugar Capn Crunch with 1% government approved milk.:evil-grin:

wasp69
06-15-2012, 11:57 AM

If that were the case, I don't think they would have dipped their toes into this pool. Openly declaring support for something does have a tendency to draw a line in the sand - one that could cost them with the majority of the country that does not support homosexual marriage.

As far as I can see, this was a monumentally stupid thing for a corporation to do.

noonwitch
06-15-2012, 12:33 PM
If that were the case, I don't think they would have dipped their toes into this pool. Openly declaring support for something does have a tendency to draw a line in the sand - one that could cost them with the majority of the country that does not support homosexual marriage.

As far as I can see, this was a monumentally stupid thing for a corporation to do.

ABC/Disney has full-out supported gay marriage for over a decade. I don't see them declaring bankruptcy anytime soon. I don't think General Mills is the one drawing the line in the sand, the self-appointed guardians of traditional marriage are the ones drawing the line in the sand. They can buy Kelloggs or Post cereals, if it's such a big problem.

Then again, if you buy Kellogg's or Posts, you are supporting Michigan unions, so you really will have to buy the generics at WalMart to avoid helping any liberal causes with your breakfast cereal choices.

And, if you do your research, you'll find that Kellogg's was founded by a health nut with a more extreme agenda than Michael Bloomberg. Just watch The Road To Wellville.

wasp69
06-15-2012, 01:10 PM
ABC/Disney has full-out supported gay marriage for over a decade. I don't see them declaring bankruptcy anytime soon.

I don't either, but I can guarantee you there is precious little anything "Disney" in my house save the old classics. Not that an anecdotal reference means much, but I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one. What I said was it "could cost them with the majority of the country that does not support homosexual marriage". It's their company, if they want to come down on the side of an issue that has lost it's ass in just about every state where it's been put on a ballot, bully for them. If they were truly worried about their bottom line and could care less about political leanings of their customers, this was the wrong way to show it.

I don't think General Mills is the one drawing the line in the sand, the self-appointed guardians of traditional marriage are the ones drawing the line in the sand.

Of course not....

They can buy Kelloggs or Post cereals, if it's such a big problem.

Telling people that you're big enough to not need their money during bad economic times? That's not very smart.

Then again, if you buy Kellogg's or Posts, you are supporting Michigan unions, so you really will have to buy the generics at WalMart to avoid helping any liberal causes with your breakfast cereal choices.

Overpriced, oversugared breakfast cereals went the way of the dodo at my house a long time ago for reasons other than supporting liberal causes; mostly had to do with price and quality. However, my choices in things I purchase go through a much tighter filter than just "liberal causes".

And, if you do your research, you'll find that Kellogg's was founded by a health nut with a more extreme agenda than Michael Bloomberg. Just watch The Road To Wellville.

Oh, I'm fully aware of how much of a fruitloop W. K. Kellog was and the many uses he had intended for his corn flakes. You grow 'em a little strange up there, dontcha?

linda22003
06-15-2012, 01:16 PM
ABC/Disney has full-out supported gay marriage for over a decade. I don't see them declaring bankruptcy anytime soon.

An attempted "family moral values"-type boycott totally fell apart when dads all over America discovered that Disney owns ESPN. So much for that. :biggrin-new:

linda22003
06-15-2012, 01:20 PM
Overpriced, oversugared breakfast cereals went the way of the dodo at my house a long time ago for reasons other than supporting liberal causes; mostly had to do with price and quality.

Same here. If it's not Quaker oatmeal (the real kind) or Seitenbacher, it's not at our house, and if it's either one of those it is at our house, whatever the position on gay marriage is. :smile-new:

fettpett
06-15-2012, 07:28 PM

While Harvey Kellogg was a bit of a nut (ok BIG nut, the dude didn't have sex and believed in female castration, though he did adopt 15 children). The movie/book The Road to Wellville isn't even close to historically accurate.

fettpett
06-15-2012, 07:32 PM
Oh, I'm fully aware of how much of a fruitloop W. K. Kellog was and the many uses he had intended for his corn flakes. You grow 'em a little strange up there, dontcha?

Will Kellogg wasn't the nutjob, his brother John Harvey was (and who the book/movie is about).

Gina
06-16-2012, 11:25 AM
attended by 400 gay and lesbian professionals
That would be about the whole population of gays in my city and that's being generous. It's hard to believe that any company would stick their neck out for such a small population of people. Although there are plenty of people who put the 'poor little gays' under their wing because they need protection (apparently). People do it to blacks too. And other "groups". Ah to be a proud liberal. :rolleyes:

noonwitch
06-18-2012, 08:48 AM
That would be about the whole population of gays in my city and that's being generous. It's hard to believe that any company would stick their neck out for such a small population of people. Although there are plenty of people who put the 'poor little gays' under their wing because they need protection (apparently). People do it to blacks too. And other "groups". Ah to be a proud liberal. :rolleyes:

You don't mean that their are only 400 gay people in Grand Rapids? Or do you mean 400 in your suburb? Because I played violin in the GRYS, in the St. Cecilia Orchestra, and at Blue Lake and Interlochen, I probably know more than 400 gays in Greater Grand Rapids. LOL.

Gina
06-18-2012, 09:03 AM
You don't mean that their are only 400 gay people in Grand Rapids? Or do you mean 400 in your suburb? Because I played violin in the GRYS, in the St. Cecilia Orchestra, and at Blue Lake and Interlochen, I probably know more than 400 gays in Greater Grand Rapids. LOL.

Yes I mean my suburb, and to be fair, I really don't hang out too much where gays would be. I'm not much of a fan. :smile-new:

noonwitch
06-18-2012, 09:57 AM
Yes I mean my suburb, and to be fair, I really don't hang out too much where gays would be. I'm not much of a fan. :smile-new:

When you are a music or art student, you know all types. Music camp is a great place to be a straight guy, though, there are probably 3 girls for every straight guy.

Hubie
06-18-2012, 10:54 AM
When you are a music or art student, you know all types. Music camp is a great place to be a straight guy, though, there are probably 3 girls for every straight guy.

Yeah, but then they suspect that you are gay like all the other guys, too.

noonwitch
06-18-2012, 10:58 AM
Yeah, but then they suspect that you are gay like all the other guys, too.

It all depends on which instrument you play-percussion guys are usually straight, same with brass players.

It's the men in the string and the woodwind sections that you have to watch out for.

fettpett
06-18-2012, 11:04 AM
It all depends on which instrument you play-percussion guys are usually straight, same with brass players.

It's the men in the string and the woodwind sections that you have to watch out for.

most guys i know that played woodwinds (myself included) are straight....i

AmPat
06-18-2012, 11:31 AM

That's Profiling!!!

wasp69
06-18-2012, 10:16 PM
Will Kellogg wasn't the nutjob, his brother John Harvey was (and who the book/movie is about).

I stand corrected, it was John Harvey.

Gina
06-18-2012, 10:42 PM
That's Profiling!!!

Liberals can get away with profiling, silly! :biggrin-new:

Rockntractor
06-18-2012, 10:57 PM

Okay, you aren't helping the argument with that.

fettpett
06-18-2012, 11:58 PM
Okay, you aren't helping the argument with that.

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

don't be jealous because you don't get to put your hands on naked beautiful women without getting slapped :evil-grin:

Rockntractor
06-19-2012, 12:08 AM
:rolleyes::rolleyes:

don't be jealous because you don't get to put your hands on naked beautiful women without getting slapped :evil-grin:

That is like being jealous of the eunuchs that cared for the queen!http://www.smiley-lol.com/smiley/heureux/lol/mdr-ordi.gif

noonwitch
06-19-2012, 10:49 AM

You didn't play flute, did you? Oboe, Bassoon and Clarinet are one thing. Every male flute player I ever knew was gay.

Hubie
06-19-2012, 11:19 AM
You didn't play flute, did you? Oboe, Bassoon and Clarinet are one thing. Every male flute player I ever knew was gay.

Except this guy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=crfrKqFp0Zg

He's too cool to be gay.