PDA

View Full Version : Obama administration stops deporting some young immigrants

SarasotaRepub
06-15-2012, 11:41 AM
By Tom Cohen, CNN
updated 11:12 AM EDT, Fri June 15, 2012

Washington (CNN) -- In an election-year policy change, the Obama administration said Friday it will stop deporting young illegal immigrants who were brought to the United States as children if they meet certain requirements.

The new policy will cover people younger than 30 who came to the United States before the age of 16, pose no criminal or security threat, and were successful students or served in the military, the Department of Homeland Security announced.

It also will allow those meeting the requirements to apply for work permits, the statement said. The initial deferral of deportation will be for two years, and participants must be in the United States now and be able to prove they have been living in the country continuously for at least five years.

LINK (http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/15/politics/immigration/index.html?hpt=hp_t1)

wasp69
06-15-2012, 12:10 PM
By Tom Cohen, CNN

Washington (CNN) -- In an election-year policy change, the Obama administration said Friday it will stop deporting young illegal immigrants who were brought to the United States as children if they meet certain requirements.

The new policy will cover people younger than 30 who came to the United States before the age of 16, pose no criminal or security threat, and were successful students or served in the military, the Department of Homeland Security announced.

It also will allow those meeting the requirements to apply for work permits, the statement said. The initial deferral of deportation will be for two years, and participants must be in the United States now and be able to prove they have been living in the country continuously for at least five years.

Ahhh, obama, the great unifier.....

Apache
06-15-2012, 12:23 PM
Ahhh, obama, the great unifier.....

Smells more like desperation and race politics...

noonwitch
06-15-2012, 12:24 PM
I don't have a problem with this. It's a recognition that kids don't always have a choice about things when their parents choose to violate the law.

wasp69
06-15-2012, 12:32 PM

Kinda my point.

wasp69
06-15-2012, 12:33 PM
I don't have a problem with this. It's a recognition that kids don't always have a choice about things when their parents choose to violate the law.

You don't have a problem with the Chief Executive of the United States not fulfilling his oath of office and upholding Federal Law?

noonwitch
06-15-2012, 12:37 PM
You don't have a problem with the Chief Executive of the United States not fulfilling his oath of office and upholding Federal Law?

I see it as tweaking the federal law to make exceptions for innocents who really have nowhere to go back to.

Apache
06-15-2012, 12:54 PM
I see it as tweaking the federal law to make exceptions for innocents who really have nowhere to go back to.

It's a blatant end-run around congress which already killed the Dream Act...

wasp69
06-15-2012, 01:14 PM

Damn shame the president really doesn't have the authority to tweak anything when it comes to Federal Law. The only option he has is to enforce the laws that are there, Congress is the only body allowed to tweak the law. Any action otherwise by the Executive Branch is patently illegal.

You support such illegal actions? Is that what you are saying?

Bailey
06-15-2012, 01:22 PM
Damn shame the president really doesn't have the authority to tweak anything when it comes to Federal Law. The only option he has is to enforce the laws that are there, Congress is the only body allowed to tweak the law. Any action otherwise by the Executive Branch is patently illegal.

You support such illegal actions? Is that what you are saying?

She doesn't mind the Prez breaking the law if its according to her beliefs.

Bailey
06-15-2012, 01:29 PM
So let me get this straight, instead of making it harder for these illegals to get what few jobs there are out there, he's making it hard for true Americans to fill them? This piece of shit cant get voted out of office fast enough for me.

Janice
06-15-2012, 02:16 PM
http://i.imgur.com/iq5pZ.jpg (http://www.drudgereport.com/)

I have almost as much contempt for our Repub "leadership" as I do Zippy's henchmen with their default complacency and appointing liberal republicans to the chairmanships. Meanwhile they hamstring the conservative freshmen we just elected during the midterms.

Collapse the system - top down - bottom up and destroy the middle class - 0bama is right on target.

Arroyo_Doble
06-15-2012, 02:19 PM
This is minor (no pun intended). I think he is trying to goad Republicans into heated election year rhetoric and also box Romney in on the issue. That he is basically taking Rubio's idea is even better; there is nothing Obama can do to piss Republicans off more than when he agrees with them.

I think it is purely political.

wasp69
06-15-2012, 02:37 PM
This is minor (no pun intended). I think he is trying to goad Republicans into heated election year rhetoric and also box Romney in on the issue.

Then whomever advised him to pull this stunt should be publicly fired. This does not box anyone in on any issue. Obama did nothing more than paint himself into a corner with this stunt considering he left his flank wide open to be fileted for attempting to crown himself king. Considering how he has opened his yap and told the world how much he holds Congress (and by extension our way of government) in contempt for not just rubber stamping his shitty "ideas", he has opened up yet another line of attack against himself and any democrat running for federal office that supported any of his ideas.

This wasn't smart, it was incredibly stupid.

That he is basically taking Rubio's idea is even better; there is nothing Obama can do to piss Republicans off more than when he agrees with them.

I don't recall Marco Rubio or any other Republican jockeying for usurpation of the Constitution, maybe you can help me out?

I think it is purely political.

Yeah?

Starbuck
06-15-2012, 02:45 PM
He's goading the Republicans into a fight. An unsophisticated reporter got in the way by making a statement in the form of a question (they are sooooooo good at that!), but he'll get back on track.

I think he'll miss on this one. There will be a little hooplah and then it will die. It's already been talked about and everyone has already chosen a side.

Odysseus
06-15-2012, 02:46 PM

The problem with this is that, while the kids are blameless, their parents are not. And the law is what it is. If Obama wants to argue that these kids should be given an opportunity to gain legal residence, then he can make the case to congress, and they can change the law, but selective enforcement is not an option. And, while we are on the subject, Mrs. O, who became a citizen this year, had to jump through a number of hoops in order to change her status, including payment of back taxes, fines, etc. Unless the government is prepared to pay us back for complying with the law, then I have a real problem with them rewarding people who violated it and incurred no costs.

Arroyo_Doble
06-15-2012, 02:58 PM
He's goading the Republicans into a fight. An unsophisticated reporter got in the way by making a statement in the form of a question (they are sooooooo good at that!), but he'll get back on track.

I think he'll miss on this one. There will be a little hooplah and then it will die. It's already been talked about and everyone has already chosen a side.

Perhaps Republicans won't take the bait but I doubt it. This is one of the hottest of the hot buttons and the Tea Party wing of the Republican Party will see red.

LAPhil
06-15-2012, 02:59 PM
This is going to backfire on Obama. Not only does he underestimate the intelligence of the Hispanic community to see this as the blatant pandering that it is, but he's going to lose a lot of votes from independents and possibly some Democrats who would otherwise vote for him. By the way, what's with this black background?

ABC in Georgia
06-15-2012, 03:05 PM
I don't have a problem with this.

*You* may not, Noonie ...

But, I, certainly do. I am so angry that I can barely contain myself!!!

This bastard, jerk of an anti-American President, is showing quite clearly, that even in this devastating economy (due mainly to him) ... that he favors foreign workers over legal Americans.

Yes, I do realize that he is trying to move on from yesterday's failed 54 min dismal, failed speech, and is pandering to the Latino vote here, but the naked truth of what this man really thinks of the US is leaking out more and more each day.

Regardless of the outright LIES spewed in this speech about the need to be more "fair" ... "efficient" ... "just" etc. as his reason for doing so ... the bottom line is that this move is definitely NOT as he said, "the right thing to do for the American People." or some such words.

Especially for our own young people desperately vying for what little jobs that are out there!

Oh Mercy! What I am doing to my blood pressure! Gotta go ... typos and all ... outta here!

~ ABC

jediab
06-15-2012, 04:30 PM
This was such a stupid stupid move.

Bailey
06-15-2012, 04:42 PM
This was such a stupid stupid move.

Does he honestly think middle class blue collar workers are going to be ok with this? Is the hispanic vote all that important?

jediab
06-15-2012, 04:55 PM
Does he honestly think middle class blue collar workers are going to be ok with this? Is the hispanic vote all that important?

I think that he lives in his own narcissistic world where nothing he says or does is wrong. I really do think he believes that.

wasp69
06-15-2012, 04:59 PM

He doesn't care. This is nothing more than another bs stunt to put more Americans at each others throats and pull some kind of "gotcha" on the GOP.

AmPat
06-15-2012, 05:28 PM
I think that he lives in his own narcissistic world where nothing he says or does is wrong. I really do think he believes that.No, believe me, it's worse. This Marxist A-hole knows exactly what he is doing. In September 2010 he responded in a Q&A that he could not unilaterally make this kind of decision against the law. I will look for the link. I rd it on Rush today.

Maobama is playing to his Latino base now that he has "stroked" his homosexuals.
on edit:
It was September 28, 2011
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-503544_162-20112935-503544.html

President Obama on Wednesday reiterated his commitment to overhauling U.S. immigration laws, but said those who want him to do it without Congress are doing "a great disservice" to the cause.
In a roundtable with Latino journalists, Mr. Obama outlined his plan to increase border security while also providing a pathway to citizenship for young immigrants, known as the DREAM Act.
"Our administration has supported the basic concept that we are a nation of laws" Mr. Obama said, adding "we're also a nation of immigrants" and "we have to create a system that works for all of us."
But the president disputed the idea, proposed by some immigration activists, that he could take executive action to help immigrants while waiting for Congress to approve the DREAM Act.
"This notion that somehow I can just change the laws unilaterally is just not true," Mr. Obama told the reporters. "There are laws on the books that I have to enforce. I think that there's been a great disservice done to the cause of getting the DREAM Act passed... by perpetrating the notion that by myself I can go and do these things."
Immigration activists argue that because the Senate rejected the DREAM Act in late 2010, Mr. Obama could simply use his executive power to halt deportations among those to whom it would apply - namely students and young people who were brought to the United States illegally while children.
Mr. Obama dismissed that idea, arguing that "we live in a democracy" and that, as a result, "you have to pass bills through the legislature and then I can sign it."

I guess his patriotic ferver for democracy couldn't hold up to political expediency.

Rockntractor
06-15-2012, 08:40 PM
He is not the king, why is he being allowed to rule like one?

AmPat
06-15-2012, 09:10 PM
He is not the king, why is he being allowed to rule like one?

Shhh!, he doesn't know, he might hear you.

He was a Constitutional lawyer you know?:rolleyes:

Retread
06-15-2012, 10:52 PM
Has not anyone noticed that the little o's forces stopped enforcing any immigration laws, deporting any illegals and is preventing any local LEO from trying to determine who is illegal and who isn't? All he's doing with this is making it blatantly obvious that none of it is going to stop; that he sees them all as 'undocumented democrats' and is going to do his best to get all their votes. Note the prevention of removing illegal voters from the rolls in Fla. It's all part and parcel of the plan.

He will get 97% of the black vote. He will get 100% of the illegal vote. He will get about 40% of the US registered voters who go to the polls (Dem base). yada, yada, yada. According to him, it adds up to victory at any cost.

RobJohnson
06-15-2012, 10:53 PM
By Tom Cohen, CNN

I think I seen this covered on an episode of last year's Harry's Law...:evil-grin:

Odysseus
06-15-2012, 11:29 PM
It's all part of Obama's diabolically clever plan to lull the illegals into leaving on their own. First, he has Eric Holder suspend the gun purchase ID check requirements, then each illegal is given enough money to buy one firearm, a bunch of magazines and ammunition and told to sneak it over the border to a drug cartel. Then, once across the border, he meets with a thoroughly confused drug lord who wasn't expecting an assault weapon and isn't going to give him any money for it. Imagine what will happen when a heavily armed, pissed off kid who speaks little or no Spanish finds himself without a penny in the middle of a laughing gang of local thugs. The drug cartels don't stand a chance. :evil-grin:

Novaheart
06-15-2012, 11:46 PM

That only means that they didn't choose to come here illegally, not that they aren't here illegally. Moreover, the way this is structured its not simply cutting a break for "children" it's also rewarding the illegals who deliberately came/come here as minors, the parents who sent them, the parents who brought them.

Returning these people to their home country is not punishment, it's a correction.

Starbuck
06-15-2012, 11:46 PM
Perhaps Republicans won't take the bait but I doubt it. This is one of the hottest of the hot buttons and the Tea Party wing of the Republican Party will see red.

Looks like you're right. The airwaves are filled with vitriol, which will serve as a "reminder" to all Hispanics that they are not welcome. Hispanics are starting to rally and conservative talk radio shows are giving them something to get exited about.

Has has succeeded for the moment in setting two groups against one another. He's betting that his group will show up in bigger numbers than those who would not have voted for him anyway.

Rockntractor
06-15-2012, 11:47 PM
It's all part of Obama's diabolically clever plan to lull the illegals into leaving on their own. First, he has Eric Holder suspend the gun purchase ID check requirements, then each illegal is given enough money to buy one firearm, a bunch of magazines and ammunition and told to sneak it over the border to a drug cartel. Then, once across the border, he meets with a thoroughly confused drug lord who wasn't expecting an assault weapon and isn't going to give him any money for it. Imagine what will happen when a heavily armed, pissed off kid who speaks little or no Spanish finds himself without a penny in the middle of a laughing gang of local thugs. The drug cartels don't stand a chance. :evil-grin:

You've been in the product!http://www.picgifs.com/smileys/smileys-and-emoticons/scare/smileys-scare-938614.gif (http://www.picgifs.com/smileys/)

Novaheart
06-15-2012, 11:47 PM

Did I hear Obama and Napolitano correctly that they believe that there are illegal aliens serving in our armed forces? Am I correct that this is highly unlikely if not impossible?

Novaheart
06-15-2012, 11:49 PM

By what authority does the President and the Secretary decide to not enforce our borders and immigration laws? And yes, I am aware that Ronald Reagan violated the trust of the American people by giving amnesty to 3 million illegal aliens.

BTW, does anyone know exactly how Reagan did that?

Novaheart
06-15-2012, 11:53 PM
Has not anyone noticed that the little o's forces stopped enforcing any immigration laws, deporting any illegals and is preventing any local LEO from trying to determine who is illegal and who isn't? All he's doing with this is making it blatantly obvious that none of it is going to stop; that he sees them all as 'undocumented democrats' and is going to do his best to get all their votes. Note the prevention of removing illegal voters from the rolls in Fla. It's all part and parcel of the plan.

He will get 97% of the black vote. He will get 100% of the illegal vote. He will get about 40% of the US registered voters who go to the polls (Dem base). yada, yada, yada. According to him, it adds up to victory at any cost.

It needs to be openly discussed, loudly by average people, that supporting illegal aliens, regardless of your subculture is counter to the interests of this country and you are unpatriotic at best for supporting amnesty, the Dream Act, etc...

Stop stewing in silence. When you see illegals, call the number on the side of the truck. Take their pictures and put them up on a bulletin board.

Speaking of which- Vito and Michael's Pizza in St Pete Beach uses illegal alien labor. Do not buy anything from them. Go to Paulo's on Central.

Chuck58
06-16-2012, 01:19 AM
Did I hear Obama and Napolitano correctly that they believe that there are illegal aliens serving in our armed forces? Am I correct that this is highly unlikely if not impossible?

As I understand it, only naturalized citizens, lawful permanent residents, and nationals of three countries in free association with the United States, I think the Marshall Islands, the Federated States of Micronesia, and Palau are eligible for military service. Congress can deem other foreign-born individuals as eligible to serve if the secretary of a specific military branch determines that such enlistment is vital to the national interest.

AmPat
06-16-2012, 08:45 AM
I don't have a problem with this. It's a recognition that kids don't always have a choice about things when their parents choose to violate the law.All those poor kids,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,30 year old KIDS.:rolleyes:

Gina
06-16-2012, 11:13 AM
Rush caller: Pulling a gun on me wouldn’t make me vote for Obama again (http://www.therightscoop.com/rush-caller-pulling-a-gun-on-me-wouldnt-make-me-vote-for-obama-again/)

Mel, an African-American caller, told Rush today that he is absolutely not happy with Obama’s weak and watered-down immigration policies that are heavily weighted toward leniency. He also isn’t happy with today’s announcement, noting that Obama is “willing to break the law to appease a certain segment of society.” Despite having voted for Obama in 2008, he told Rush “You couldn’t put a gun on me and make me pull a lever for this fellow, this term.”

He goes on to explain to Rush why he voted for Obama in 2008.
He may or may not gain Hispanic voters but between this and the gay marriage support, he may find many blacks stay home on election day.

Starbuck
06-16-2012, 11:42 AM
Rush caller: Pulling a gun on me wouldn’t make me vote for Obama again (http://www.therightscoop.com/rush-caller-pulling-a-gun-on-me-wouldnt-make-me-vote-for-obama-again/)

He may or may not gain Hispanic voters but between this and the gay marriage support, he may find many blacks stay home on election day.

I think you're onto something.:smile-new:

Chuck58
06-16-2012, 02:40 PM
All those poor kids,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,30 year old KIDS.:rolleyes:

How do these 'kids' prove how long they've been in the country? Welfare roles?

The invasion has slackened quite a bit in recent months. Watch it crank up again. They'll all want their little darlings over here, so they can legally come to be with them when obama/Napolitano drop the other shoe - and they will. This is only the first step.

Odysseus
06-16-2012, 07:19 PM

Illegals? No. There are non-citizens who are legal residents who serve, legally, and who become citizens prior to the end of their first enlistment. In fact, we expedite the process for them. But illegals cannot join, and if one were to join, he'd have to hide his status, which would be a fraudulent enlistment, and grounds for separation.

Novaheart
06-16-2012, 08:42 PM
Illegals? No. There are non-citizens who are legal residents who serve, legally, and who become citizens prior to the end of their first enlistment. In fact, we expedite the process for them. But illegals cannot join, and if one were to join, he'd have to hide his status, which would be a fraudulent enlistment, and grounds for separation.

Thank you. Hopefully, the Republicans in Congress will have the gumption to do something about this latest insult.