PDA

View Full Version : Horrible Thing Happened To A Co-Worker Yesterday

NJCardFan
06-17-2012, 11:28 AM
Yesterday a co-worker of mine was in a horrible accident. Physically he's fine, however, what happened was that he was at an intersection and somebody rear ended him pushing him into traffic. When this happened, a motorcycle T-boned him killing the rider. I can't imagine what's going through his mind right now. Accident wasn't his fault but that doesn't make it any easier on him.

Odysseus
06-17-2012, 12:18 PM
Yesterday a co-worker of mine was in a horrible accident. Physically he's fine, however, what happened was that he was at an intersection and somebody rear ended him pushing him into traffic. When this happened, a motorcycle T-boned him killing the rider. I can't imagine what's going through his mind right now. Accident wasn't his fault but that doesn't make it any easier on him.

That's really awful. I know that telling him that it wasn't his fault doesn't erase the traumatic event.

Gina
06-17-2012, 03:09 PM
Just terrible.. I'll pray for him.

AmPat
06-17-2012, 03:39 PM
I'll pray too,,,,But my first thought was; PUT DOWN THE DAMN PHONE AND DRIVE MORON!

Sorry, but I am a rider and I see this all too often. Like it or not ladies, it is mostly women drivers who seem to think that that stupid text was more critical than killing somebody.

Sorry for your friend. I hope he goes to the funeral. Maybe that will help him????

NJCardFan
06-17-2012, 10:41 PM
I'll pray too,,,,But my first thought was; PUT DOWN THE DAMN PHONE AND DRIVE MORON!

Sorry, but I am a rider and I see this all too often. Like it or not ladies, it is mostly women drivers who seem to think that that stupid text was more critical than killing somebody.

Sorry for your friend. I hope he goes to the funeral. Maybe that will help him????

This was my take as well. More than likely this was the scenario. Here is the news article on it: http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2012/06/woman_killed_in_motorcycle_cra.html

SarasotaRepub
06-18-2012, 09:37 AM
Yikes! That is terrible.:blue:

Hubie
06-18-2012, 10:58 AM
That he wasn't at fault is undoubtedly of little comfort to him. I hope and pray that he will find peace and reconciliation. Perhaps meeting with the victim's family will help start the healing process.

AmPat
06-18-2012, 12:20 PM
Found this today. Note the one usual idiot, Ottis Blades below.

Donna Schlueter Works at Aria Health Formly Known As Franlford hospital
I was on my way home from spending a couple of days of relaxation on the beach with my best friend. I pulled up just a few mins after this tragedy happen. I pulled over called 911 has other where doing the same thing. I helped with what I could. I felt so bad for her and her fellow riders. may she rip and my prayers go out to her family and friends. For individuals in cages meaning cars all should keep a good distance between yourself and the rider majority of these accidents are car less driving by the motor vehicle. This really got to me because as a motorcycle rider and raising in a motorcycle family we have lost several family and friends do to stupidity. my heart goes out to all RIDE SAFE.
Reply Like Follow Post 15 hours ago

Linda Kugler Wettstein Glassboro High School
Ron, the driver that was initially hit by the truck, lost his own brother (in another vehicle accident) only 200 feet away from where this accident happened (several yrs. ago). I know this because his mother is my neighbor & I talked to her this morning. Such a sad situation.
Reply Like Follow Post Yesterday at 10:11am

Kay Reynolds Stockton
Wow
Reply Like 20 hours ago

Suzanne Bonavich Millville, New Jersey
That was soooooo weird....I still cant get over it.....hope they are all doing OK!
Reply Like 15 hours ago

Lisa DeFazio Murphy
Not sure what happened to the trucks but my husband and a friend where there to help, was so sad.
Reply Like Follow Post Yesterday at 8:50am

Stacey Gugel Howard
We were in the middle of this going to the concert in Philly! So sad!
Reply Like Yesterday at 9:27am

Kay Reynolds Stockton
See the tragedy caused due to ones careless mistake! May she R.I.P :-(
Reply Like Follow Post Yesterday at 2:09am

Ottis Blades Subscribe Commander-In-Briefs at Author of Noches De Bohemia/Bohemian Nights
After I read this I feel like playing Grand Theft Auto Vice City :/
Reply Like Yesterday at 3:15am

Linda Kugler Wettstein Glassboro High School
Ottis Blades why would you post this?
Reply 1 Like Yesterday at 10:12am

John Dabulldog Carter Rutgers – New Brunswick
Sad day...prayers to her family and all involved.
Reply Like Follow Post Saturday at 9:57pm

Tabitha Gifford Lone Star College–Montgomery
Wow
Reply Like Follow Post Saturday at 7:57pm

Adam Wood
06-18-2012, 01:11 PM
Terrible thing to have to live with.

We had a motorcyclist who died in a wreck here a few weeks back. Motorcyclist was actually an off-duty cop who ran a red light on his crotch-rocket and slammed right into a crossing work-style pickup, with the heavy custom boxes where the bed normally is. That poor fellow driving the truck was just apoplectic afterwards, and I don't blame him.

AmPat
06-18-2012, 01:55 PM
Terrible thing to have to live with.

We had a motorcyclist who died in a wreck here a few weeks back. Motorcyclist was actually an off-duty cop who ran a red light on his crotch-rocket and slammed right into a crossing work-style pickup, with the heavy custom boxes where the bed normally is. That poor fellow driving the truck was just apoplectic afterwards, and I don't blame him.
Riders are often just as or more stupid as the cagers.

What I noticed was that most HD riders I know either don't wear or bitch about wearing a helmet and ride fairly conservatively while the crotch rocket types put on every piece of riding gear available and ride like idiots. Hmmm, things that make you go, hmmm.

Adam Wood
06-18-2012, 04:27 PM

What I noticed was that most HD riders I know either don't wear or bitch about wearing a helmet and ride fairly conservatively while the crotch rocket types put on every piece of riding gear available and ride like idiots. Hmmm, things that make you go, hmmm.I've never really gotten the whole no helmet thing. South Carolina's law is (or at least was; I haven't been there in years and I'm just assuming that it hasn't changed) that they can't pull you over just for not wearing a helmet, sort of like how they can't (or at least couldn't) pull you over just for not wearing a seat belt: you have to get stopped for speeding or a busted taillight or whatever or else they can't touch you. Because of this, there are gaggles of bikers at every major road crossing the South Carolina border pulled over and taking off their helmets. I really have to wonder about the sanity of these people. Not just because of the risk of getting your melon splattered on the highway, but because of the more obvious threat to a rider not wearing a helmet in South Carolina: junebugs. I guarandamntee you that you'll think twice about not wearing a helmet when one of those South Carolina junebugs that are the size of a pterodactyl hits you in the face at about 40 MPH.

AmPat
06-18-2012, 05:15 PM
When rain hurts at 60 MPH, you know June Bugs are fearsome. Here in CO, I have been pelted by rocks during high winds. When the wind is strong enough to hurl thumbnail sized rocks at you, you know it's bad.

The south is extremely uncomfortable with its heat and helmets are like brain ovens. I understand, but I opt to cook the brain pan before I would splat it on the pavement.

Adam Wood
06-18-2012, 05:40 PM
When rain hurts at 60 MPH, you know June Bugs are fearsome. Here in CO, I have been pelted by rocks during high winds. When the wind is strong enough to hurl thumbnail sized rocks at you, you know it's bad.

The south is extremely uncomfortable with its heat and helmets are like brain ovens. I understand, but I opt to cook the brain pan before I would splat it on the pavement.I understand that, and nobody despises the heat more than I do, but these days a reasonably well-designed full-face helmet will vent pretty well, at least at speed. And I always wear a full-face, because I've seen what happens to someone's face when they're just wearing a brain bucket. I'm reasonably certain that I probably wouldn't want to go on living with my jaw ripped off, and I don't want to be like my friend from high school who spent eighteen months eating Jell-O through a straw because his jaw was completely shattered in a car wreck.

SaintLouieWoman
06-18-2012, 06:06 PM
It's not against the law in Florida to go without a helmet. We see so many going without them. I'll never understand why they wouldn't try to protect themselves. Is it a macho thing---to not wear a helmet? I know it's a foolish thing.

AmPat
06-18-2012, 08:36 PM
It's not against the law in Florida to go without a helmet. We see so many going without them. I'll never understand why they wouldn't try to protect themselves. Is it a macho thing---to not wear a helmet? I know it's a foolish thing.
Like sexual orientation, one cannot understand what one is not. I don't get it either but there is a culture withing certain clubs against helmets. I think it's stupid, but I prefer to let people decide. The only argument I have for legislating the use of helmets is that many of these droolers stop short of becoming organ donors and become life-long tax payer burdens.

Should they choose no helmet, their license should be DNR and mandatory organ donor. In addition, they should not be given life-long medical care courtesy of the tax payer.

I feel the same about seat belts. Some states are seat belt Nazis yet allow riders to go hatless. What nanny state logic is that? Why not allow people to make the decision and live with the repercussions?

Gina
06-18-2012, 10:53 PM
Like sexual orientation, one cannot understand what one is not. I don't get it either but there is a culture withing certain clubs against helmets. I think it's stupid, but I prefer to let people decide. The only argument I have for legislating the use of helmets is that many of these droolers stop short of becoming organ donors and become life-long tax payer burdens.

Should they choose no helmet, their license should be DNR and mandatory organ donor. In addition, they should not be given life-long medical care courtesy of the tax payer.
I feel the same about seat belts. Some states are seat belt Nazis yet allow riders to go hatless. What nanny state logic is that? Why not allow people to make the decision and live with the repercussions?

We recently went to no helmet law but you have to have been riding more than 2 years I think, and there's other rules too about more insurance etc. I used to ride with my husband, and we always wore our leathers even in summer, and I would NEVER go without a helmet even if I was allowed to. We don't get as hot as you Southerners but it's still pretty warm in a jacket. I figure I'd rather be hot than be dead or unable to know what I am because I got hurt so bad.

Hubie
06-18-2012, 11:15 PM

What I noticed was that most HD riders I know either don't wear or bitch about wearing a helmet and ride fairly conservatively while the crotch rocket types put on every piece of riding gear available and ride like idiots. Hmmm, things that make you go, hmmm.

Helmets aren't always a guarantee of survival.

http://www.snopes.com/photos/accident/seemotorcycle.asp

http://www.snopes.com/photos/accident/tulsacrash.asp (giving this one a warning for graphicness)

Adam Wood
06-18-2012, 11:16 PM

http://www.snopes.com/photos/accident/tulsacrash.asp (giving this one a warning for graphicness)No, but not having one is pretty damned close to a guarantee that you're a goner in even a relatively minor incident.

NJCardFan
06-19-2012, 12:53 AM

I was on my way to Philly a couple of weeks back and it was rush hour/baseball game traffic and there was this one idiot on a bike weaving his way in and out of traffic.

Ottis Blades Subscribe Commander-In-Briefs at Author of Noches De Bohemia/Bohemian Nights
After I read this I feel like playing Grand Theft Auto Vice City :/
Reply Like Yesterday at 3:15am

It's shit like this that makes me loathe society the way I do. What a fucking jerk off this person is. Nobody has any respect anymore.

AmPat
06-19-2012, 09:24 AM

http://www.snopes.com/photos/accident/tulsacrash.asp (giving this one a warning for graphicness)

No, but not having one is pretty damned close to a guarantee that you're a goner in even a relatively minor incident.
No guarantees in life at all. I play the odds in my favor when I have a choice. My melon loses to any fall from 0-100 MPH if I am 4 feet off the ground. Bouncing heads make terrible basketballs.

As for Brandon, I noticed he was a typical young man on a bike made for the track, not the street. His 120 MPH attempt to move an 18 wheeler with a motorcycle failed, his helmet looked like it did the best it could. He also proved why one should wear over the ankle boots on an MC. Notice his feet?

Adam Wood
06-19-2012, 11:58 AM
No guarantees in life at all. I play the odds in my favor when I have a choice. My melon loses to any fall from 0-100 MPH if I am 4 feet off the ground. Bouncing heads make terrible basketballs.

As for Brandon, I noticed he was a typical young man on a bike made for the track, not the street. His 120 MPH attempt to move an 18 wheeler with a motorcycle failed, his helmet looked like it did the best it could. He also proved why one should wear over the ankle boots on an MC. Notice his feet?Yeah, but I'm guessing it didn't really matter at that point.

NJCardFan
06-19-2012, 02:15 PM

Um, both of those stories had one thing in common: the cyclist travelling at an insane speed. Hell, even in a car crashing at excessive speeds will kill the occupants even if they're wearing a seatbelt. Just ask Dale Earnhardt. The 2nd guy could have been in full football gear and been killed. However, had he been riding at a normal rate of speed he'd have never hit that truck let alone been made a set of truck balls. It's stories like this and the subsequent arguments against helmet laws that everyone including you all here forgetting the important issue and that is riding responsibly. I've lost friends to cycle accidents and in all but 1 they were riding way too fast for their own good. The term speed kills isn't bullshit.