PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of Hoverounds

Novaheart
06-22-2012, 09:41 AM
I will be on a whirlwind trip around the country next month and amazingly I have never seen the Grand Canyon so I intend to go out of my way to do that this time. I really don't have the time to do anything but see it, the excursion or rafting or whatever will have to wait until next year when I will be living in California.

So, does anyone know where I can do a Full American Tourist? IE, driving up, take a look, take a picture, and get back on the road?

http://www.asseenontvvideo.com/images/160x120/512157.jpg

Starbuck
06-22-2012, 10:42 AM
I can't really answer your question, but I can encourage you and tell you you are on the right track. The Grand Canyon is a must see.

Any chance you can get to the north rim? The south rim is a zoo, with all the entertainment requirements that Americans always want. But the north rim is the place to see if you possibly can. As you can see from your map, it is a little tough to get to. Not indicated on the map is the fact that the north rim is at 8000 feet. That makes the weather interesting.........:smile-new:

My wife reminds me to tell you that you should take your own Diet Coke if you are going to drive the 250 miles it takes to drive around the canyon to the north rim. There was not a Diet Coke machine to be found anywhere in the Indian reservation. But that was 1990:smile-new:

Hubie
06-22-2012, 04:40 PM
There was not a Diet Coke machine to be found anywhere in the Indian reservation.

I'm sorry, but how is that a bad thing? :biggrin-new: :friendly_wink:

JB
06-22-2012, 07:38 PM
I approached from the South Rim. Drove up, walked a couple hundred feet, saw canyon, took picture.

It was pretty cool though.

I think they opened that thing where you can walk out over the canyon. I believe they charge you to do so. Not sure where it is located. Use your search-fu if you're interested.

Starbuck
06-22-2012, 08:46 PM
I'm sorry, but how is that a bad thing? :biggrin-new: :friendly_wink:

That is a bad thing because I had to hear my wife ......ummmm... "note it"......for 250 miles.:smile-new:

SaintLouieWoman
06-22-2012, 10:59 PM
As I recall when I was there some years ago during the busy season they made you take one of their park buses. I'd check it out before you go. I've always wanted to go to the North Rim, but when I've been in Utah at greyhound events in Kenab, Utah in June, the weather will still dicey at the North Rim. The roads were closed and couldn't get there.

A friend of mine last year went to that new observation place (glass) and she said it's amazing, but frightening.

Have fun. Check out some of the other parks out there that are more remote. I think you can't even drive through Zion Nat'l Park anymore, but have to take one of those darned buses to keep down the traffic.

What's the deal about you moving to California and leaving the lovely state of Florida?

RobJohnson
06-23-2012, 02:05 AM
I approached from the South Rim. Drove up, walked a couple hundred feet, saw canyon, took picture.

It was pretty cool though.

I think they opened that thing where you can walk out over the canyon. I believe they charge you to do so. Not sure where it is located. Use your search-fu if you're interested.

I don't think you are allowed to use your own camera on that little bridge. They like to sell you pictures of your families. Thieves.

Novaheart
06-23-2012, 08:51 AM
What's the deal about you moving to California and leaving the lovely state of Florida?

It's not certain or even a plan at this point. It's just a possibility. I love Florida, but I understand my mom wanting to be near her grandkids. We might become sunbirds (California in summer, Florida in winter).