PDA

View Full Version : McCain/Palin to be in my county Monday

Phillygirl
09-18-2008, 08:31 PM
No official announcement yet, but the SS were there checking out security yesterday, and it looks like it's a go.
Woo hoo!!!

mike128
09-19-2008, 04:28 AM
Lucky you! I'm jealous now. :(

GrumpyOldLady
09-19-2008, 06:57 AM
Where? You are in Philly? Can anyone go? I'd like to go!

Phillygirl
09-19-2008, 09:23 PM
I'm getting my ticket tomorrow (GOL....I just found out today it is a ticketed event). The problem is that is scheduled from 3:00 to 9:00. So this is going to kind of suck. God knows what time McCain and Palin are going to show up. I have to be at the courthouse for a 2:00 meeting anyway (although they've already canceled Monday afternoon hearings, so they may just shut down the courthouse altogether).

I would also bet that if I wait too long to go, my ticket isn't going to do my any good.

But, we'll see what happens.

BDMcGee
09-19-2008, 10:17 PM
I wish I could go, but unfortunately I actually have to go to work to support DUmmies:(.

jinxmchue
09-19-2008, 10:24 PM
Lucky dog.

Phillygirl
09-19-2008, 10:32 PM
I wish I could go, but unfortunately I actually have to go to work to support DUmmies:(.

Well, it says the rally will go until 9:00. Hopefully I can get some more info on Monday as to the actual start time. I can not waste a couple of hours over there waiting for them. My other issue is probably going to be getting out of town. I'm sure all the streets around the courthouse will be closed off so I may get stuck there until it's over anyway.

BDMcGee
09-19-2008, 10:38 PM
Well, it says the rally will go until 9:00. Hopefully I can get some more info on Monday as to the actual start time. I can not waste a couple of hours over there waiting for them. My other issue is probably going to be getting out of town. I'm sure all the streets around the courthouse will be closed off so I may get stuck there until it's over anyway.

Oh, in that case I might be able to make it. I'll be at the MontCo HQ volunteering tomorrow, hopefully I can cop tix. Thanks for the info!

Phillygirl
09-19-2008, 10:43 PM
Oh, in that case I might be able to make it. I'll be at the MontCo HQ volunteering tomorrow, hopefully I can cop tix. Thanks for the info!

You have to get the tix from the McCain HQ, not the GOP Hq.

BDMcGee
09-19-2008, 11:07 PM
Would that be one of these?
http://pennsylvania.johnmccain.com/content/sitecontentmain.aspx?guid=f74e01ee-3ddc-4d91-878b-ff57bf75333b

Specifically, I'll be working at this one:
McCain/Southeast Victory HQ
Montgomery County
475 Norristown Road
Blue Bell, PA 19422

Phillygirl
09-19-2008, 11:31 PM
Would that be one of these?
http://pennsylvania.johnmccain.com/content/sitecontentmain.aspx?guid=f74e01ee-3ddc-4d91-878b-ff57bf75333b

Specifically, I'll be working at this one:
McCain/Southeast Victory HQ
Montgomery County
475 Norristown Road
Blue Bell, PA 19422

I believe so. Oh...and I think you don't need a ticket for the actual event, just to get inside the barriers. Since it will be in front of the courthouse, I have a feeling the closest most non-VIP's are going to get is going to be down on State Street somewhere.

Now, I have to figure out if there is any way I can swing a favor to get a heads up on the arrival time and still get a decent spot...or a chance to meet Palin. :)

Phillygirl
09-21-2008, 03:01 PM
Woo hoo!! I just got confirmation that I have VIP tickets for the event...no waiting in line for moi!! :D

LibraryLady
09-22-2008, 10:33 AM
We expect pictures and a story, hope you have a greyt day!!

Phillygirl
09-22-2008, 08:14 PM
Okay...I'm back from the rally. It was a long day with some complications, but it was great!!

I found out late this morning that my "VIP" tickets had been pulled. I had gotten them from a connection in a neighboring county. It turns out that the local head of the GOP had pulled all of them and only allowed the ones he gave out to be honored.

Unfortunately I called my friend who is a delegate to see what he could do, and he had 1 ticket that he would give me. This caused angst because there were 7 of us that had the other tickets. After some haggling and discussion of picking straws, it was decided that I could get the ticket. I was across the street from the speakers, and my view was blocked by a staging platform for the press...but still pretty good view (I didn't take any pictures, but should get some tomorrow from friends who did).

Arlen Specter was there, as well as Joe Lieberman. Both gave very good speeches. I don't like Specter, but I have to hand to him...he's in his 70's, going through chemo, and is still working the political rounds. You've got to respect his work ethic.

They had a woman there who was a Clinton voter and she gave a great speech on why the Democrats screwed over people like her.

Sarah did a great job. She didn't appear to use notes and spoke for about 20 minutes. She then introduced the guys from Orange County Choppers, who unveiled a custom made bike they designed in honor of the POW's/MIA's. They had their own camera crew there, so I presume that will be on one of their episodes.

McCain talked about the economy, etc.

The crowd was really excited and had a great time. Just for some perspective of who was in attendance: within my immediate circle there were 2 Catholic priests; a mother with her 3 young children (around 7 - 12 years old and they were still in their Catholic school uniforms); lots of veterans; definitely a mix of working class, middle class, and professional class. There was a fairly large group of "Bikers for McCain".

There were, of course, the Obama supporters as well on the fringe. They attempted to get their chants going early on...and even did so during the invocation by my parish priest. Despicable. The crowd immediately shouted them down each time with "USA" chants. They did not interrupt any of the main speakers.

I realized it was good that I was in the front away from them, as I surely would have gotten in a fight. While walking to the staging area I saw one on a bicycle and I made a comment about Nobama. I know I would have gotten terribly irritated had I been near them during any of it.

Anyway...a very good day and Lieberman got off a decent joke about being able to finally say that the Media was for McCain (since the event took place in Media, PA).

LibraryLady
09-22-2008, 08:37 PM
Palin Talks to Media (No, Not That One) (http://embeds.blogs.foxnews.com/2008/09/22/sarah-talks-to-media-no-not-that-one/)
by Shushannah Walshe

Media, Penn. –

Sarah Palin still hasn’t addressed the media traveling with her yet, but she did address Media, Pennsylvania today, a suburb of Philadelphia. Clad in a red leather jacket-–possibly a motorcycle jacket–she introduced her running mate and unveiled a gift for him. A motorcycle to commemorate his service as a prisoner of war in Vietnam made by the Orange County Choppers, “Before we go to Washington to shake things up, we have a special surprise for Senator McCain. Today we have a very special veteran with us—Paul Teutul. Paul is a Vietnam veteran and the founder of the Orange County Choppers, a custom motorcycle company,” Palin said, “And they built, you guys, they built a special bike honoring all POWs and Vietnam vets and they brought it by to give Senator McCain a chance to see it up close.” Despite the ceremony, we are told the Orange County Choppers will actually keep the bike.

Phillygirl
09-22-2008, 08:41 PM
Palin Talks to Media (No, Not That One) (http://embeds.blogs.foxnews.com/2008/09/22/sarah-talks-to-media-no-not-that-one/)
by Shushannah Walshe

Media, Penn. –

One of my friends got Paul Teutal's autograph (she figured she had to bring something back to the kids!) Another was able to shake the First Dude's hand when they all got off the bus.

And if you see any footage from the event...I'm the one in the crowd with red on! :D

LibraryLady
09-22-2008, 08:52 PM
EVERYONE is wearing red!!

http://www.myfoxphilly.com/myfox/pages/Home/Detail?contentId=7488945&version=2&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=VSTY&pageId=1.1.1

PoliCon
09-22-2008, 10:44 PM
has the media been accurately reporting the crowd size? They didn't in Florida. . . . .

Phillygirl
09-22-2008, 10:58 PM
has the media been accurately reporting the crowd size? They didn't in Florida. . . . .

I haven't heard the media reports of the crowd size. I'm not very good at estimating crowds at all, so take with a grain of salt. But I heard reports that there were 15,000 tickets given out. That seemed pretty accurate. It's a small town and every space was jammed.

BDMcGee
09-23-2008, 12:05 AM
Here's a pic I took from where I was in front. PhillyGirl beat me to the good stuff:) Took forever to get home. All in all, we had a great time!
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3262/2880619325_420fc97066.jpg

Scarlet
09-23-2008, 12:42 AM
Living in CA. I will never get to see them. Why the hell come here. We have about 10 lib countys that will never change. They have all the people.
John McCain Was here and I just missed him.
________
TSUSHO (http://www.toyota-wiki.com/wiki/Toyota_Tsusho)

Zathras
09-23-2008, 01:34 AM
Living in CA. I will never get to see them. Why the hell come here. We have about 10 lib countys that will never change. They have all the people.
John McCain Was here and I just missed him.

Yeah, it's a shame really.

LibraryLady
09-23-2008, 02:47 PM
And if you see any footage from the event...I'm the one in the crowd with red on! :D

ok, which one??:D

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c12/dtharman/mccain/media.jpg

Phillygirl
09-23-2008, 04:15 PM

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c12/dtharman/mccain/media.jpg

Ha!! Great picture!! I'm about 5 people behind the big speakers you see in the middle of the picture.

JB
09-23-2008, 05:44 PM
Ha!! Great picture!! I'm about 5 people behind the big speakers you see in the middle of the picture.How in the hell did you manage to go from VIP tickets to nosebleed section? :p

PoliCon
09-23-2008, 05:51 PM
John McCain Was here and I just missed him.have a hope. The lefties are abandoning ship in CA in droves - heading to other states like Colorado and Arizona trying to escape the results of their own failed policies. Of course - they're too damn dumb to realize that it is their own failed policies that make them want to leave in the first place so they will be turning their new home states into mini-california style leftist utopias.

PoliCon
09-23-2008, 05:53 PM

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c12/dtharman/mccain/media.jpgyou know that that photo is obviously photoshopped. ;) EVERYONE knows that EVERYONE loves the m0ssiah. Admit it. There were just three of you there. :rolleyes:

Phillygirl
09-23-2008, 09:34 PM
How in the hell did you manage to go from VIP tickets to nosebleed section? :p

Long story!! What's even worse, is that was with VIP tickets!! Serves me right for refusing to leave the office until about 4:10 when the "doors" opened at 3:00. The view actually seemed better from where I was than it looked like from the air. I was really surprised to see how many people there were there when you see that view.