PDA

View Full Version : Rush: Sam Donaldson 'Ignorant' for Saying People 'Like Limbaugh' Oppose Obama Because

Gina
06-24-2012, 08:54 AM
Link (http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sheppard/2012/06/17/rush-limbaugh-calls-sam-donaldson-ignorant-saying-people-him-oppose-o#ixzz1yiMm8zAi)
Rush Calls Sam Donaldson 'Ignorant' for Saying People 'Like Limbaugh' Oppose Obama Because He's Black

As NewsBusters reported Saturday, former ABC White House correspondent Sam Donaldson told the Huffington Post, "Many on the political right believe this president [Barack Obama] ought not to be there – they oppose him not for his polices [sic] and political view but for who he is, an African American! These people and perhaps even certain news organizations (certainly the right wing talkers like Limbaugh) encourage disrespect for this president."

Limbaugh responded to this nonsense by email moments ago:

"Sam's premise, sadly, is ignorant, simplistic, clichéd, predictable and wrong. The President's ideas are what I oppose, not his skin color, which I couldn't care less about. He's the President of the United States and his race does not inoculate or immunize him from substantive critique."

We couldn't have said it any better.

If only media members such as Donaldson would understand this tremendously basic concept about politics in America today.

It's not about race. It's about policies and ideas.

Only the Left and their media minions are fixated on the color of Obama's skin.

Thanks for clearing that up for us, Rush.

http://newsbusters.org/sites/default/files/main_photos/2012/June/Limbaugh%20Obama.jpg

Bailey
06-24-2012, 09:35 AM
I agree with rush, if obama was a conservative (not what liberals call a conservative these days) I would vote for him every time.

NJCardFan
06-24-2012, 11:00 AM
This meme is getting really old and it stinks of desperation.

Chuck58
06-24-2012, 02:25 PM
We in NM are ashamed to claim him. He grew up on a farm in Dona Ana County NM, went to NM Military Institute and lives at least part time on a ranch in Lincoln County NM, one of the reddest of New Mexico's red counties. I don't know what the hell happened that he ended up the way he is.

txradioguy
06-24-2012, 02:33 PM
We in NM are ashamed to claim him. He grew up on a farm in Dona Ana County NM, went to NM Military Institute and lives at least part time on a ranch in Lincoln County NM, one of the reddest of New Mexico's red counties. I don't know what the hell happened that he ended up the way he is.

IMHO the faculty at NMMI would rather talk about Roger Staubach being one of their alumni than Hairpiece Sam Donaldson.

Chuck58
06-24-2012, 02:43 PM
IMHO the faculty at NMMI would rather talk about Roger Staubach being one of their alumni than Hairpiece Sam Donaldson.

Very true, from what I know. When they tout their alumni, Staubach is always the first name mentioned. Donaldson, I didn't know he was an alumnus until I heard HIM mention it once.

ThinkingBig
06-24-2012, 04:31 PM
You do realize Limbaugh was making a Straw Man argument? He misconstrued Donaldson's point to punch holes in it.

Odysseus
06-24-2012, 04:48 PM
You do realize Limbaugh was making a Straw Man argument? He misconstrued Donaldson's point to punch holes in it.

Uh, no. Here is what Donaldson said"

Many on the political right believe this president [Barack Obama] ought not to be there – they oppose him not for his polices [sic] and political view but for who he is, an African American! These people and perhaps even certain news organizations (certainly the right wing talkers like Limbaugh) encourage disrespect for this president."

Here is Rush's response:

"Sam's premise, sadly, is ignorant, simplistic, clichéd, predictable and wrong. The President's ideas are what I oppose, not his skin color, which I couldn't care less about. He's the President of the United States and his race does not inoculate or immunize him from substantive critique."

Donaldson's argument is that opposition to Obama by many conservatives is race-based, and that because of this racism, they encourage disrespect for Obama. Rush directly addressed Donaldson's point. However, if you want to try to claim that Donaldson meant something other than what he clearly said, feel free to make the case.

JB
06-24-2012, 07:18 PM
...Do you believe those on the political right oppose Obama because he is an African-American?

Chuck58
06-24-2012, 09:31 PM
Yeah, we're all so racist that many of us supported Herman Cain, and would like to see Allen West or Marco Rubio in the Oval Office some day.

Who brought up race in the last election? Who is bringing up race again in this one? It isn't the GOP talking race, or even noticing a candidate's race. The democrats are doing their level best, and have done a pretty good job so far, of recycling the 1960's.

Hubie
06-25-2012, 01:25 AM
This meme is getting really old and it stinks of desperation.

It's because they can't defend him and his hackneyed, half-assed policies any other way. When SCOTUS blows up Obamacare this week, it will be because "they're racist."

txradioguy
06-25-2012, 07:11 AM

Point out which part was taken out of context or misconstrued.

And the answer "all of it" is not an acceptable answer.

Specify.

Arroyo_Doble
06-25-2012, 01:41 PM
Uh, no. Here is what Donaldson said"

Many on the political right believe this president [Barack Obama] ought not to be there – they oppose him not for his polices [sic] and political view but for who he is, an African American! These people and perhaps even certain news organizations (certainly the right wing talkers like Limbaugh) encourage disrespect for this president."

Here is Rush's response:

Donaldson's argument is that opposition to Obama by many conservatives is race-based, and that because of this racism, they encourage disrespect for Obama. Rush directly addressed Donaldson's point. However, if you want to try to claim that Donaldson meant something other than what he clearly said, feel free to make the case.

It was two separate clauses; one containing the group which opposes the president because he is black and the other being those in the Media (Rush specifically included). His claim is that both encourage disrespect for the President of the United States. He is not claiming that Rush opposes the president because he is black yet that is the straw man that Limbaugh creates with which he can argue. No where in your quote do I see Rush disagreeing with the position that he encourages disrespect for America's Commander-In-Chief.

txradioguy
06-25-2012, 02:10 PM
It was two separate clauses; one containing the group which opposes the president because he is black and the other being those in the Media (Rush specifically included). His claim is that both encourage disrespect for the President of the United States. He is not claiming that Rush opposes the president because he is black yet that is the straw man that Limbaugh creates with which he can argue. No where in your quote do I see Rush disagreeing with the position that he encourages disrespect for America's Commander-In-Chief.

Funny...I don't recall you being concerned with the Media say and accusing Bush of much worse things than "I hope his policies fail". for the 8 hers of his Presidency.

IF all you and the rest of the Libtards have is "if you oppose him you're racist"...your collective intellectual pool is far shallower than any of us could have ever imagined.

And specifically...how does his claim encourage disrespect? Is that a new corollary of "if you oppose him you're racist"? If you criticize his policies you're somehow disrespecting him?

For God sakes Oreo he's a President not some God King.

Odysseus
06-25-2012, 05:54 PM

Wow. That's a serious attempt at deconstruction.

Again, the actual quote:

Many on the political right believe this president ought not to be there – they [B]oppose him not for his polices [sic] and political view but for who he is, an African American! These people and perhaps even certain news organizations (certainly the right wing talkers like Limbaugh) encourage disrespect for this president."

First, it wasn't two separate clauses, but two sentences. Second, the second sentence clearly equates spreading disrespect for Obama with racial bias, and Donaldson specifically singled out Rush as an example. Now, you can pull all of the Clintonian parsing that you want, but the definition of "is" hasn't changed.

Retread
06-25-2012, 07:23 PM
Donaldson is, as he always has been, an apologist and defender of any leftist who the public has identified as having bad ideas and an intent to knock this country into a loop. The little o is just the latest.

Disrespect? I believe he is imbecile, but the office he holds is far more than he. Hopefully it will so be held by someone who cares about the country.

Odysseus
06-25-2012, 07:27 PM
Donaldson is, as he always has been, an apologist and defender of any leftist who the public has identified as having bad ideas and an intent to knock this country into a loop. The little o is just the latest.

Disrespect? I believe he is imbecile, but the office he holds is far more than he. Hopefully it will so be held by someone who cares about the country.

True. Donaldson's not exactly the poster child for respectful treatment of the president. Remember how he used to shout at Reagan?

Retread
06-25-2012, 07:37 PM
I watched him some on 9/11 when he was calling W a coward for not getting out in front of the public and appear calm. He never did apologize even when it became clear that the SS was the reason.
I always thought his behavior in that classroom showed his bravery, honor and leadership quite well.

NJCardFan
06-25-2012, 10:45 PM
True. Donaldson's not exactly the poster child for respectful treatment of the president. Remember how he used to shout at Reagan?

He and Helen Thomas used to brow beat Bush 41 at his press conferences. But at least he never goaded Reagan into an on air argument like Rather did with Bush 41.

Gina
06-25-2012, 11:25 PM
He and Helen Thomas used to brow beat Bush 41 at his press conferences. But at least he never goaded Reagan into an on air argument like Rather did with Bush 41.

Speaking of Helen Thomas, remember her getting banned from Dubya's press conferences because she was such a pip?

She's Lebanese, I never thought of her as racist, just a...pip.

Odysseus
06-25-2012, 11:34 PM

When JFK was shot, Rather got footage of Dallas kids cheering because they were getting out of school early, but the announcement didn't mention Kennedy, so they didn't know why they were getting out. He edited the tape so that it seemed as if they were cheering the news of the assassination, and then used it to smear Dallas as a city of hate.

Later, he reported that some schoolchildren in Dallas had applauded when they were notified of the president's death.[11] Administrators said that, in fact, the thrust of the announcement was that school was to be dismissed early (making the students' delight more understandable). This story infuriated local journalists at then-CBS affiliate KRLD-TV

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Rather

Rather's reporting of the JFK assassination brought him to the attention of CBS, and jump started his career, so it can be said that his career started with one lie and ended with another, and there wasn't a lot of honest reporting in between.

Chuck58
06-25-2012, 11:56 PM
And, then there's the other big name, Walter Cronkite and his shameful announcement that we had lost the Tet, the American Embassy was overrun, which it wasn't, and the war was lost, which it wasn't. In fact, if we had taken the offensive as Westmoreland wanted, the Vietnam war might have ended by the end of 1968. The VC were so completely beaten that they never recovered.

Cronkite, however, was so respected a 'journalist,' and so believed that he is almost solely responsible for the switch in opinion of that war, and I say responsible for the bulk of American deaths that came after.

Arroyo_Doble
06-26-2012, 08:23 AM
Wow. That's a serious attempt at deconstruction.

Again, the actual quote:

Many on the political right believe this president ought not to be there – they [B]oppose him not for his polices [sic] and political view but for who he is, an African American! These people and perhaps even certain news organizations (certainly the right wing talkers like Limbaugh) encourage disrespect for this president."

First, it wasn't two separate clauses, but two sentences. Second, the second sentence clearly equates spreading disrespect for Obama with racial bias, and Donaldson specifically singled out Rush as an example. Now, you can pull all of the Clintonian parsing that you want, but the definition of "is" hasn't changed.

No. Two clauses: These people, defined in the first sentence, and (perhaps) certain news organizations.

Rush decided it was easier to argue against the straw man that all criticism of the President of the United States is characterized as racist. It isn't. But it is really easy to argue against a fantasy construct.

Adam Wood
06-26-2012, 08:38 AM
It was two separate clauses; one containing the group which opposes the president because he is black and the other being those in the Media (Rush specifically included). His claim is that both encourage disrespect for the President of the United States. He is not claiming that Rush opposes the president because he is black yet that is the straw man that Limbaugh creates with which he can argue. No where in your quote do I see Rush disagreeing with the position that he encourages disrespect for America's Commander-In-Chief.How ridiculous. The two sentences are inseparable. To attempt to claim that Donaldson was somehow trying to create some separate group of people who encourage disrespect and that has nothing to do with some claim of racism is ludicrous in the extreme.

txradioguy
06-26-2012, 08:38 AM
No. Two clauses: These people, defined in the first sentence, and (perhaps) certain news organizations.

Rush decided it was easier to argue against the straw man that all criticism of the President of the United States is characterized as racist. It isn't. But it is really easy to argue against a fantasy construct.

If all criticism isn't racist...then why does ever talking head on your side cry racism everytime a Conservative disagrees with something Obama does?

Why did Donaldson pull card if all criticism isn't viewd by you and others on the left as racist?

txradioguy
06-26-2012, 08:40 AM
How ridiculous.

Par for the course with anything Bok posts.

Odysseus
06-26-2012, 03:25 PM

But, he specifically singled out Rush as someone belonging to the people defined in the first sentence: "...certainly the right wing talkers like Limbaugh."

He called Limbaugh a racist, and Limbaugh responded, effectively. He didn't claim that Donaldson was saying that every critic was a racist (although I would challenge Donaldson to identify what he considers non-racially biased criticism), but specifically responded to the charge that he was a racists. However, by pretending that Rush did respond to a straw man argument, you are creating one of your own.