PDA

View Full Version : John, Spain is not Mexico

LogansPapa
09-18-2008, 09:07 PM
In fact John, it's one of the NATO allies of the United States. Did we have yet another 'Senior Moment', Mr. McCain?

Senator, Spain's with us in Afghanistan - remember? The WOT? Madrid bombing, John, you recall that unfortunate occurrence?

When asked about how he would greet Spain's Jose Zapatero, you said: “All I can tell you is that I have a clear record of working with leaders in the hemisphere that are friends with us and standing up to those who are not,” he said. “And that’s judged on the basis of the importance of our relationship with Latin America and the entire region.”

Sir, Spain's in Europe. You remember - the place where the Spanish language comes from?

This helps the Republican run for the White House, how?:confused:

Cold Warrior
09-18-2008, 09:11 PM
I'm sure Sarah, the international traveler and sophisticate, can set John straight.

LogansPapa
09-18-2008, 09:12 PM
I'm sure Sarah, the international traveler and sophisticate, can set John straight.

And that's comforting, how?

patriot45
09-18-2008, 09:13 PM
And that's comforting, how?

How cute, only missing the lid and wilbur!

LogansPapa
09-18-2008, 09:17 PM
How cute, only missing the lid and wilbur!

Well - John's supposedly got a major butt load of foreign policy experience - if he can't quite grasp the difference between Spain and Mexico, an Atlantic fucking Ocean apart, does he need to come tour the California missions to brush up on his Spanish history with the third graders? WTF?

patriot45
09-18-2008, 09:25 PM
Are you denying that Mexico and Spain are in the northern hemisphere?
Or are you bitching about the Latin America part?

MrsSmith
09-18-2008, 09:25 PM
Bizarre McCain Remarks Appear To Reject Spain As Ally

Late Wednesday night, news made its way from the other side of the Atlantic that John McCain, in an interview with a Spanish outlet, had made a series of bizarre responses to a question regarding that country's prime minister.

"Would you be willing to meet with the head of our government, Mr. Zapatero?" the questioner asked, in an exchange now being reported by several Spanish outlets.

McCain proceeded to launch into what appeared to be a boilerplate declaration about Mexico and Latin America -- but not Spain -- pressing the need to stand up to world leaders who want to harm America.

"I will meet with those leaders who are our friends and who want to work with us cooperatively," according to one translation.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/09/18/bizarre-mccain-remarks-ap_n_127346.html

Ahh, the wonderful, factual, always correct Huffington Post. Great place to gather "real" news... :rolleyes:

Cold Warrior
09-18-2008, 09:29 PM
Are you denying that Mexico and Spain are in the northern hemisphere?
Or are you bitching about the Latin America part?

Come on here. Every American leader that ever referenced "the hemisphere" wasn't talking about the "northern hemisphere," but rather the "western hemisphere."

Lager
09-18-2008, 09:30 PM
I think you even beat DU to this news LP. Do you get any kind of a bonus for that?

Cold Warrior
Ahh, the wonderful, factual, always correct Huffington Post. Great place to gather "real" news... :rolleyes:

Are you saying the reporting is incorrect, i.e., that McCain did not say this? Is so, please clarify and specify.

patriot45
Come on here. Every American leader that ever referenced "the hemisphere" wasn't talking about the "northern hemisphere," but rather the "western hemisphere."

I'm nuanced. :cool:

Cold Warrior
09-18-2008, 09:31 PM

So was John Kerry. Shall we put you in his camp?

LogansPapa
09-18-2008, 09:33 PM
I think you even beat DU to this news LP. Do you get any kind of a bonus for that?

Laugh if you will and ignore the signs, but this is like Grandpa 'forgetting stuff.' And it's real. Why give Obama the ball in the last three minutes of the game?

patriot45
09-18-2008, 09:34 PM
So was John Kerry. Shall we put you in his camp?

Used the wrong smiley! :rolleyes:

LogansPapa
09-18-2008, 09:34 PM

No, like McCain's staff - you're grasping at excuse straws.:rolleyes:

patriot45
09-18-2008, 09:38 PM
But, when I think about it, you CW, and Lp, lids and Wilbur are the most negatively vocal about Mcain and Palin, you do know the other side of the coin is Obama, right? He certainly does not make gaffes.

lacarnut
09-18-2008, 10:47 PM
But, when I think about it, you CW, and Lp, lids and Wilbur are the most negatively vocal about Mcain and Palin, you do know the other side of the coin is Obama, right? He certainly does not make gaffes.

Right, Obama can be tired when he says he has been to 57 states and 2 to go but McCain has to be perfect. From my perspective, not knowing how many states in the Union is more of a screw up.

MrsSmith
09-18-2008, 10:48 PM
Are you saying the reporting is incorrect, i.e., that McCain did not say this? Is so, please clarify and specify.

I am saying that I'd need a more reliable source that Huff N' Puff before I'd post it as true. I'd also need a few more details before I'd classify this as a huge error.

Not that McCain never makes mistakes...but at least he can count to 50 correctly.

patriot45
09-18-2008, 11:00 PM
No, like McCain's staff - you're grasping at excuse straws.:rolleyes:

Hmmmmm! What do you think?
HotAir! (http://hotair.com/archives/2008/09/18/left-freaks-out-after-mccain-cold-shoulders-spanish-pm/)

It’s a testament to Josh Marshall’s influence among the left that his obsessing over this very stupid exchange is enough to push it onto the media’s plate. Here’s the money part, which “proves” that McCain is either (a) senile, (b) so stupid that he doesn’t know which hemisphere Spain is in, (c) ready to treat Spain as an enemy state:

Q: So you have to wait and see if [Zapatero] is willing to meet with you, will you be able to do it in the White House?
McCain: Well, again, I don’t. All I can tell you is that I have a clear record of working with leaders in the hemisphere that are friends with us and standing up to those who are not. And that’s judged on the basis of the importance of our relationship with Latin America and the entire region.

He doesn’t want to say definitively that he’ll meet with Zapatero given that relations between him and Bush have been, shall we say, frosty, and he doesn’t want to say definitively that he won’t meet with him because Spain is, after all, an ally, so he’s filibustering her with a stock answer about the criteria he’d use for meeting with any world leader. The reference to Latin America is his (admittedly awkward) way of steering the conversation back to that area of the world, which is where the interview began. Don’t believe me? Just ask the interviewer. She took it exactly the same way. And the punchline? McCain already said he’d meet with Zapatero earlier this year. He may be downplaying that now to burnish his “tough leader” image for the general election, but if so, he’s no guiltier of opportunistic flip-flopping than The One is vis-a-vis, say, NAFTA.
Don’t miss Soeren Kern’s piece on this idiocy at Pajamas, adding a bit of context about Zapatero’s cynical anti-American demagoguery. Exit question: Why would McCain be cool about committing to meeting with a guy who’s on record as saying he hopes Obama wins?

LogansPapa
09-18-2008, 11:07 PM
McCain 'confused' over Spain PM
By Lourdes Heredia
BBC News, Washington

In April, Mr McCain called for improved relations with Spain

US Republican presidential candidate John McCain has raised suspicions in Spain that he thinks the country's prime minister is Latin American.

Asked by a Miami radio station if he would meet PM Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero, Mr McCain spoke of his record with leaders in "the hemisphere".

His answer led some to suggest he thought Mr Zapatero was Latin American.

Mr McCain's campaign team denied any gaffe, but did say the candidate had refused to commit to a meeting.

Spanish media have suggested that stance could be a sign Mr McCain has not forgiven Mr Zapatero for pulling Spanish troops out of Iraq when he became prime minister in 2004.

Misunderstanding?

Before asking Mr McCain about Mr Zapatero, the Spanish interviewer repeatedly questioned Mr McCain about Latin American leaders, including Venezuela's Hugo Chavez and Bolivia's Evo Morales, with whom the US has a fraught relationship.

But the interviewer then changed the subject by saying: "Let's talk about Spain.

"If you are elected president, would you be willing to invite Prime Minister Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero to the White House to meet with you?"

"I would be willing to meet with those leaders who are our friends and who want to work with us in co-operative fashion," Mr McCain answered, before moving on to talk about US relations with Mexico.

He did not even mention Zapatero's name

In an effort to draw an answer, the Caracol Miami reported posed the same question three more times. Mr McCain gave more or less the same response, saying at one stage:

"All I can tell you is that I have a clear record of working with leaders in the hemisphere that are friends with us and standing up to those who are not.

"And that's judged on the basis of the importance of our relationship with Latin America and the entire region."

But Mr McCain's answer has itself posed more questions.

Did Mr McCain forget which country Mr Zapatero leads? Did he misunderstand or mishear the question? Or was he intentionally signalling a cooling in the relationship between Spain and the US?

Mr McCain's foreign policy adviser, Randy Sheunemann, said that there was no doubt about the senator's answers.

"The questioner asked several times about Senator McCain's willingness to meet Zapatero, and identified him in the question, so there is no doubt Senator McCain knew exactly to whom the question referred," he wrote in an email to the Washington Post.

"Senator McCain refused to commit to a White House meeting with President Zapatero in this interview," he confirmed.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7624143.stm

patriot45
09-18-2008, 11:18 PM
McCain 'confused' over Spain PM
By Lourdes Heredia
BBC News, Washington

In April, Mr McCain called for improved relations with Spain

US Republican presidential candidate John McCain has raised suspicions in Spain that he thinks the country's prime minister is Latin American.

Asked by a Miami radio station if he would meet PM Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero, Mr McCain spoke of his record with leaders in "the hemisphere".

His answer led some to suggest he thought Mr Zapatero was Latin American.

Mr McCain's campaign team denied any gaffe, but did say the candidate had refused to commit to a meeting.

Spanish media have suggested that stance could be a sign Mr McCain has not forgiven Mr Zapatero for pulling Spanish troops out of Iraq when he became prime minister in 2004.

Misunderstanding?

Before asking Mr McCain about Mr Zapatero, the Spanish interviewer repeatedly questioned Mr McCain about Latin American leaders, including Venezuela's Hugo Chavez and Bolivia's Evo Morales, with whom the US has a fraught relationship.

But the interviewer then changed the subject by saying: "Let's talk about Spain.

"If you are elected president, would you be willing to invite Prime Minister Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero to the White House to meet with you?"

"I would be willing to meet with those leaders who are our friends and who want to work with us in co-operative fashion," Mr McCain answered, before moving on to talk about US relations with Mexico.

He did not even mention Zapatero's name

In an effort to draw an answer, the Caracol Miami reported posed the same question three more times. Mr McCain gave more or less the same response, saying at one stage:

"All I can tell you is that I have a clear record of working with leaders in the hemisphere that are friends with us and standing up to those who are not.

"And that's judged on the basis of the importance of our relationship with Latin America and the entire region."

But Mr McCain's answer has itself posed more questions.

Did Mr McCain forget which country Mr Zapatero leads? Did he misunderstand or mishear the question? Or was he intentionally signalling a cooling in the relationship between Spain and the US?

Mr McCain's foreign policy adviser, Randy Sheunemann, said that there was no doubt about the senator's answers.

"The questioner asked several times about Senator McCain's willingness to meet Zapatero, and identified him in the question, so there is no doubt Senator McCain knew exactly to whom the question referred," he wrote in an email to the Washington Post.

"Senator McCain refused to commit to a White House meeting with President Zapatero in this interview," he confirmed.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7624143.stm

Its better if you listen to it than to read it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WItI9It_Swc

McCain Is No Friend of Spain's
John McCain's recent foreign policy gaffe—he got a little confused in an interview by a question about whether or not he would meet with the Spanish Prime Minister Jose Luis Rodriguez Zapatero—has drawn scorn from liberal bloggers, who say his answer (that referred to Latin America, not Europe) was "inexplicable and illogical", not to mention "embarrassing." What's even worse, they say, is that McCain's foreign policy adviser Randy Scheunemann has now told the Washington Post that McCain was not confused, he was simply refusing to commit to a meeting with Zapatero. This outrages liberals even more because it's "insane" that McCain wouldn't meet with an ally of the U.S., and they think that McCain just doesn't want to admit his confusion. Our Robert Schlesinger says that's what he should have done. Bloggers are worried that the gaffe shows McCain has "prime time." Political Animal lists McCain's other foreign policy slip-ups and wonders what the reaction would be if Obama had the same track record.

Cold Warrior
09-19-2008, 06:00 AM

Actually, I'm quite aware of how bad Obama is and laugh at his gaffes as well. Clearly, everyone recognizes that this is just a misspoken phrase, as happens on both sides when candidates are 24/7 on the road talking. However, unlike the people here (and unlike the DUmmies in the reverse situation), I find both this and Obama's "57 for 47" gaffe amusing, while recognizing them for what they are, simply errors of the moment.

Previously, I was going to vote for McCain. I like his stand on taxes and defense. I differ with him on abortion, but I knew he really didn't care about the issue and, while he would have appointed generally conservative judges, the chances of abortion becoming illegal again here are slim. However, his cave-in to the whacky-whacky right in his selection of Palin, a person completely unqualified to be President (as is Obama) has caused me to seriously rethink that choice. I'm now leaning to Gator's position.

LogansPapa
09-19-2008, 03:29 PM
"The chairman of the SEC serves at the appointment of the president and, in my view, has betrayed the public's trust," McCain told a rally in this battleground state. "If I were president today, I would fire him."

Um, Senator - after confirmation, the president doesn't have to power to fire the SEC chairman. Sorry.:o

Shannon
09-19-2008, 03:39 PM
Spain, Mexico...it's all the same.:p

LogansPapa
09-19-2008, 03:50 PM
Spain, Mexico...it's all the same.:p

DON"T YOU DARE SAY WHAT I WAS THINKING!!! :eek: