PDA

View Full Version : I just returned from Haiti, I have some words for morans who want to slash taxes...

SarasotaRepub
06-26-2012, 06:04 PM
I think dear garybeck left his brain in Haiti too... (http://www.democraticunderground.com/1002858563):rolleyes:

Tue Jun 26, 2012, 11:49 AM
garybeck

I just returned from Haiti, I have some words for morans who want to slash taxes and gov't programs

Last edited Tue Jun 26, 2012, 11:54 AM USA/ET - Edit history (1)
I was just in Haiti for 10 days. I went there to install a solar energy system on a building in a small remote village that has no electricity. I flew in and out of Port-au-Prince, and spent 2 days there on each end of the trip.

I was not prepared to see the living conditions there. Out in the rural country people have nothing, but their lives are very simple and they don't need much. But in the city the conditions are deplorable. In today's modern world people should not have to live like this.

For the time I spent in the city, I was being driven around mainly to find supplies for the solar installation. I saw the devastating effects of the earthquake, now over 2 years ago but there are still piles or rubble everywhere and half-standing buildings on every block.

But the real devastation is not from the earthquake. The conditions in Haiti were very bad before the earthquake hit. The more I asked questions, the more I realized that while it almost seemed like "Hell on Earth" to me, to people like Grover Norquist and Ron Paul, it must be their "Heaven on Earth."

This idea kept resonating in my head:

To all the conservatives and libertarians who want to slash taxes, government programs, and government regulations: "Go to Haiti and see what it's like when there are no taxes, programs, and regulations. If that's really what you're looking for, you can just stay there."

It's a Pitt long bleeding heart rant by an idiot who wants to compare the USA to the hell hole that is Haiti. Amazing...

Wibbins
06-26-2012, 06:07 PM
I think dear garybeck left his brain in Haiti too... (http://www.democraticunderground.com/1002858563):rolleyes:

It's a Pitt long bleeding heart rant by an idiot who wants to compare the USA to the hell hole that is Haiti. Amazing...

More like bleeting liberal, baaaaa baaaaa baaaa lol sheeple amuse me

Hubie
06-26-2012, 07:51 PM
To all the conservatives and libertarians who want to slash taxes, government programs, and government regulations: "Go to Haiti and see what it's like when there are no taxes, programs, and regulations. If that's really what you're looking for, you can just stay there."

Riiiiiiiiiight. Because before we even had any of those crippling taxes, bloated programs and suffocating regulations, America was a complete shithole.

:bullshit:

Clue to Pitt: Haiti isn't a shithole because they lack taxes, programs and regulations. Haiti is a shithole because of crooked politicians.

JB
06-26-2012, 08:04 PM
Haiti:

The top income and corporate tax rates are 30 percent. Other taxes include a value-added tax (VAT) and a capital gains tax.

Haiti is the Western Hemisphere’s poorest country and one of the world’s least-developed nations. President Michel Martelly was elected in April 2011 and has pledged to re-establish Haiti’s army, welcome investment, and end the government’s hostility toward business
Gee, I wonder if that has anything to do with their problems. :rolleyes:

Apache
06-26-2012, 10:30 PM
Haiti:

Papa Doc and Baby Doc also had NOTHING to do with it either....

The limited history these dregs grasp is astounding !

SPYDER
06-27-2012, 12:54 AM
I like this response!!

No_BS_in_2012
45. So send Michael Moore and his millions

and if that didn't work, at least they could eat him.

noonwitch
06-27-2012, 08:43 AM
My church is sponsoring a house-building program in Haiti. I'm sure it's not the only one doing so. The teens go on a trip there, too, to do the same thing.

Bailey
06-27-2012, 09:44 AM
Funny one side is fairly decent (Dominican republic) the other side is filled by uncivilized savages. You should see a pic of that island from space, one side is forested and the other is stripped of every tree....take a guess what side is which.

michaelsean
06-27-2012, 11:34 AM
So Haiti is in the condition it is in because of low tax rates? If they raised taxes on all those people with no jobs and money to pay taxes all would be well? Maybe they could print money, and give it to the people who could in turn hand it back. That way it could be called a tax and everything would be good.

Hubie
06-27-2012, 12:14 PM
Funny one side is fairly decent (Dominican republic) the other side is filled by uncivilized savages. You should see a pic of that island from space, one side is forested and the other is stripped of every tree....take a guess what side is which.

Google Map's image is kind of f'ed up.

Gina
06-27-2012, 02:10 PM
Haiti:
The top income and corporate tax rates are 30 percent. Other taxes include a value-added tax (VAT) and a capital gains tax.

Haiti is the Western Hemisphere’s poorest country and one of the world’s least-developed nations. President Michel Martelly was elected in April 2011 and has pledged to re-establish Haiti’s army, welcome investment, and end the government’s hostility toward business

Thanks, JB. A reality check is always refreshing. :smile-new: