PDA

View Full Version : Paging Linda Numbers

Elspeth
06-30-2012, 09:47 PM
I heard the storms in NoVA last night caused major damage and death. I have relatives in the area that I cannot reach. I was wondering if you knew anything about conditions in Burke, VA, especially around the high school there. (I forget the name of it). Is there a way to find out where the damage is?

Thanks,

Elspeth

(This is assuming your own power isn't out. )

Retread
06-30-2012, 11:42 PM
As I have no idea of where Burke might be, I have no help for you but... the daughter in Arlington just texted that they have their power back. When the earthquake came in up there the only communication that worked for them was facebook if you can believe it.

She was not so fondly remembering her days on the gulf coast and the passage of several hurricanes during the day today.

The last reports I have has only two dead - one in a house collapse and another whose car got flattened by a huge tree limb while driving home.

Sorry I can't offer more info.

update:
The thunderstorms also claimed the lives of two people late Friday in Springfield, Fairfax County police said.

A 27-year-old Burke man died when a tree fell on his car while he was driving in the area of Old Keene Mill Road and Bauer Drive just before 11 p.m. Friday, police said in a news release.

Police said Khiet Nguyen was driving his 1998 Mercury west on Old Keene Mill Road when a tree fell on his car. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

Around the same time, in the 8100 block of Carr Street, a tree fell on a house killing a 90-year-old woman as she was lying in bed, police said.

Another resident of the house called 911, but could not reach the woman. Police are still working to reach the woman’s next of kin and have not yet released her name.

Elspeth
06-30-2012, 11:55 PM
As I have no idea of where Burke might be, I have no help for you but... the daughter in Arlington just texted that they have their power back. When the earthquake came in up there the only communication that worked for them was facebook if you can believe it.

She was not so fondly remembering her days on the gulf coast and the passage of several hurricanes during the day today.

The last reports I have has only two dead - one in a house collapse and another whose car got flattened by a huge tree limb while driving home.

Sorry I can't offer more info.

update:
The thunderstorms also claimed the lives of two people late Friday in Springfield, Fairfax County police said.

A 27-year-old Burke man died when a tree fell on his car while he was driving in the area of Old Keene Mill Road and Bauer Drive just before 11 p.m. Friday, police said in a news release.

Police said Khiet Nguyen was driving his 1998 Mercury west on Old Keene Mill Road when a tree fell on his car. He was pronounced dead at the scene.

Around the same time, in the 8100 block of Carr Street, a tree fell on a house killing a 90-year-old woman as she was lying in bed, police said.

Another resident of the house called 911, but could not reach the woman. Police are still working to reach the woman’s next of kin and have not yet released her name.

Thank you for the information.

SarasotaRepub
07-01-2012, 09:12 AM
Power outages could last for days (http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/power-outages-could-last-for-days/2012/07/01/gJQA3JVjFW_story.html?hpid=z1)

Hopefully she isn't a too badly hit area...

Bailey
07-01-2012, 09:52 AM
Are you kidding shes prolly rocking 5 generators to keep cool, no way she wants to sweat.

Rockntractor
07-01-2012, 10:07 AM
Are you kidding shes prolly rocking 5 generators to keep cool, no way she wants to sweat.

I presume you mean perspire.

Bailey
07-01-2012, 10:10 AM
I presume you mean perspire.

lol:friendly_wink:

ABC in Georgia
07-01-2012, 12:00 PM
Elspeth ...

Praying that you hear from relatives soon, and that you can stop worrying!

Also, hoping that Linda and hubby are doing OK as well.

Bailey and Rock ...

FYI, women neither "sweat" nor "perspire!" As one of my aerobics instructors used to say, women "glow!"

As for men, when they are overheated??? The words "stink to high heaven" come to mind! ... :evil-grin:

Must be all that testosterone!

~ ABC

Elspeth
07-01-2012, 08:56 PM
Elspeth ...

Praying that you hear from relatives soon, and that you can stop worrying!
ABC

Thank you so much. I heard from family last night, late. What a mess! One relative had a tree branch go through her roof. The wind apparently had snapped the thick branch from an old tree and shot it like a missile through the kitchen roof.

The others are ok, though. Power is on in some places.

Odysseus
07-02-2012, 12:24 AM
It's been a bit odd. My part of Alexandria is relatively new construction, and the power lines are all underground, so except for a couple of moments where the power dimmed, our has had no interruption during the storm. However, a few blocks away, the traffic light is out and the CVS store at the corner had no power for a while. They shut down the PX and Commissary at FT Belvoir on Saturday, but otherwise, I wouldn't have noticed anything if it weren't for the news.

I'm sure that your family is okay.

linda22003
07-02-2012, 08:02 AM
Sorry to be late checking in. Everything is fine, and from what I've been able to see myself, Burke was hit less hard than almost anywhere else.

We went to bed about 10.15 Friday night and went soundly to sleep - so deeply that apparently we missed the wild weather that blew through around 11 pm. People in the neighborhood said it sounded "like a freight train". We didn't even hear two largish (24" diameter) trees come down in the back yard.

I woke up around 1 am because the bedroom was so stuffy, and realized the power was out. My husband called the power company recorded line, I opened windows, and it was raining lightly with a cool breeze so we slept well for the rest of the night. It wasn't until morning that we saw the carnage in the neighborhood - huge trees down or split in half, branches and clumps of leaves everywhere. Our trees that came down didn't do any damage, fortunately.

There was a pretty good breeze on Saturday morning even though the temps were climbing, so we did fine. Around 2 pm we emptied the icemaker and used the ice in bags to pack into the freezers. That amount of effort was enough to make the power come back, which it did completely around 3 pm Saturday, and we have been fine ever since.

Virginia is doing much better than Maryland; Dominion Power seems far more organized, and PEPCO (Maryland) is just always a mess, one of the worst companies in terms of response time in the country, I think.

bijou
07-02-2012, 09:44 AM
Sorry to be late checking in. Everything is fine, and from what I've been able to see myself, Burke was hit less hard than almost anywhere else.

We went to bed about 10.15 Friday night and went soundly to sleep - so deeply that apparently we missed the wild weather that blew through around 11 pm. People in the neighborhood said it sounded "like a freight train". We didn't even hear two largish (24" diameter) trees come down in the back yard.

I woke up around 1 am because the bedroom was so stuffy, and realized the power was out. My husband called the power company recorded line, I opened windows, and it was raining lightly with a cool breeze so we slept well for the rest of the night. It wasn't until morning that we saw the carnage in the neighborhood - huge trees down or split in half, branches and clumps of leaves everywhere. Our trees that came down didn't do any damage, fortunately.

There was a pretty good breeze on Saturday morning even though the temps were climbing, so we did fine. Around 2 pm we emptied the icemaker and used the ice in bags to pack into the freezers. That amount of effort was enough to make the power come back, which it did completely around 3 pm Saturday, and we have been fine ever since.

Virginia is doing much better than Maryland; Dominion Power seems far more organized, and PEPCO (Maryland) is just always a mess, one of the worst companies in terms of response time in the country, I think.

Glad you escaped major damage! :smile-new:

SarasotaRepub
07-03-2012, 09:55 AM
Glad the damage wasn't bad Linda!

linda22003
07-03-2012, 10:23 AM
Me too. Power went out again last night for an hour - they were just taking spots down and putting them back as part of repairs - and I just freaked at the thought of being so hot again. :frown-new:

Bailey
07-03-2012, 11:25 AM
Me too. Power went out again last night for an hour - they were just taking spots down and putting them back as part of repairs - and I just freaked at the thought of being so hot again. :frown-new:

They must have balls of steel to take power from you. :D

Glad you are doing ok

Starbuck
07-03-2012, 12:14 PM
They must have balls of steel to take power from you. :D

Glad you are doing ok

:biggrin-new:They know not who they mess with......:biggrin-new:

Elspeth
07-03-2012, 04:01 PM
Sorry to be late checking in. Everything is fine, and from what I've been able to see myself, Burke was hit less hard than almost anywhere else...

Thanks, Linda. It is really helpful to know. I heard the winds were up to 80 mph. I also heard that a number of people died, so you can see why I was worried.

Ody, also thanks for your report from Alexandria. From what I have heard, streetlights went out all over and trees crashed into cars and houses.