PDA

View Full Version : Why do people drive SUVs?

SarasotaRepub
07-01-2012, 05:46 PM
How about cause doing so annoys LibTards??? (http://www.democraticunderground.com/1002888362) :biggrin-new:

Sun Jul 1, 2012, 04:40 PM
primavera

Why do people drive SUVs?

Seriously, I'm baffled. Everywhere I look, I see people driving SUVs, but I really don't get the attraction. SUVs are big and top heavy, so they don't handle particularly well and parking them is a bitch. They get poor gas mileage and put out a correspondingly high quantity of emissions, so they're not especially green vehicles. They're expensive to buy, expensive to maintain, expensive to fill up, so they're hardly the vehicle of choice for the economically conscious. I understand why someone with a big family would value a minivan. I understand why someone like a building contractor who needs to haul heavy loads would value a truck. I understand why someone who is into outdoor activities and drives a lot over uneven, rough roads would value something like a Jeep. I understand why someone into sporty performance would value a sports car. All of these are reasons I can fathom for driving a big, unwieldy, expensive, fuel inefficient, high emission vehicle. As far as I can tell, though, a SUV offers none of these perks, only the disadvantages of a big gas guzzler. Yet they remain the most popular vehicle in the country. Can anyone explain this to me? Surely someone here must love SUVs and can tell me what the attraction is, no?

What a self-important asshole...

Oh, another reason. It's none of your fucking bidness what or why I drive anything. :smile-new:

Dan D. Doty
07-01-2012, 05:57 PM
Just another Moonbat who can't figure out the simplest things in the world.

Because its easier then walking, dumbass.

TVDOC
07-01-2012, 06:31 PM
Just another Moonbat who can't figure out the simplest things in the world.

Because its easier then walking, dumbass.

And unlike the DUmmies......we can afford them, and the cost of the gas.......

doc

Chuck58
07-01-2012, 06:57 PM
Because they look different. Cars today look like they're all built on the same assembly line.

Because they're available in 4wd, which is nice in snow and mud.

Because they're taller than cars and you can see farther down the road.

Because we can afford to drive them and, really, ours gets low 20's mpg which isn't bad. And I don't care about the mileage.

Hubie
07-01-2012, 07:24 PM
SUVs are big and top heavy, so they don't handle particularly well and parking them is a bitch.

Only if you are incompetent. I have a Blazer, which is a smaller type of SUV, but it handles just fine and I can park it with little problem -- even parallel parking.

They get poor gas mileage and put out a correspondingly high quantity of emissions, so they're not especially green vehicles.

B-o-o-h-o-o. The planet will survive.

They're expensive to buy, expensive to maintain, expensive to fill up, so they're hardly the vehicle of choice for the economically conscious.

Better than having to get my ass towed out of the snowbank every time we get winter storms where I live. Towing is bloody expensive.

Chuck58
07-01-2012, 07:56 PM
I guess we could all buy Chevy Volts for 40 grand and drive 25 miles before it switches to gas.

I'd rather by a new Escape for 20K and bank the difference. Or, if I wanted to spend 40K, I'd be driving a Ford Expedition 4wd.

Rockntractor
07-01-2012, 08:48 PM
The future is windmill cars, the faster you drive the more electricity they make.
http://i686.photobucket.com/albums/vv230/upyourstruly/Red_car_with_windmill_extended.jpg

Chuck58
07-01-2012, 08:59 PM
I remember this ad. Couldn't get it bigger.

http://media-cache-ec7.pinterest.com/upload/132996995215334328_NNkIZ5rI_b.jpg

Hubie
07-01-2012, 10:08 PM
The future is windmill cars, the faster you drive the more electricity they make.

Given the liberal mindset, I think this is more in line with the future they want:

http://hooniverse.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/07/13.jpg

txradioguy
07-02-2012, 06:45 AM
http://images.gtcarlot.com/pictures/47345623.jpg

Seats up to 7

all wheel drive

290hp & 21mpg

More airbags than a Bu$h hating thread at DU.

Suck it DUmmies.

txradioguy
07-02-2012, 06:53 AM
Seriously, I'm baffled. Everywhere I look, I see people driving SUVs, but I really don't get the attraction.

Because this happens when you crash in a smart car or a prius.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_KhUa-lNUXJ0/S0PTc1snMAI/AAAAAAAAAE8/E0m6RI1m-FA/s400/smart+car+accident+photos+1.jpg

I've got better oddds from walking away froma wreck in my Durango than surviving even a low speed fender bender in one of todays little compact cars.

txradioguy
07-02-2012, 06:54 AM
As the snow flies...

At a used car lot on the edge of town
A liberal guy and a liberal gal
Buy a Yugo
And they drive with pride

'cause if there's one thing that this world needs
It's environmental friends who'll take the lead
In a Yugo

They say, "People don't you understand?
Those Suburbans are ruining the land!"
But they'll wish they had a full-size van one day

They're pointing fingers at you and me
They say we're too blind to see
But do we simply use our heads
And choose a better way
As those small wheels turn

Fifty miles to the gallon and their knees on their chests
We're gonna save enough gas for all the rest
In a Yugo
Then one day on the interstate
They suddenly lose control
They swerve to miss a baby duck
And are squashed beneath a produce truck
But they drove with pride

And as the crowds drive past the little flat car
You know they saved a lot of gas but they didn't get far
In a Yugo
And as they're trapped inside

At a used car lot on the other side of town
Buy a Yugo
And they drive with pride...

SarasotaRepub
07-02-2012, 08:29 AM
As the snow flies...

Buy a Yugo

In a Yugo

And choose a better way

In a Yugo

In a Yugo

Buy a Yugo

:rotfl: A good one.

noonwitch
07-02-2012, 08:43 AM
I would imagine that SUVs are great for hauling around kids and teenagers, their friends and their gear.

When I was a kid, we had station wagons, which didn't have much leg room in the back for growing kids.

Madisonian
07-02-2012, 12:10 PM
We have a Ford Escape that my wife drives.
She got it because:
She hauls stuff around in it like cages for pet adoptions, recycle stuff, dogs and whatever else that are too big to haul around in a car.
It has 4WD, which we need in the winter if we want to get up the roads and hills to out house.
It's big enough to hitch the utility trailer to when we get lumber, furniture or anything large. Will also pull a small boat if we get another one.
It gets better than 25 mpg.

I got it because:
I have made a lot of money working for Ford over the years and have a brand loyalty to companies that keep the cash rolling in.
Ford was smart enough early enough not to need Obama money to stay in business. (How is that GM IPO 33 now sub 20 stock doing for y'all?)
It generally pisses off liberals, greenies and tree huggers.

Gina
07-02-2012, 12:12 PM
Q. Why do people drive SUVs?
A. Because they can.

Chuck58
07-02-2012, 12:54 PM
We have a Ford Escape that my wife drives.
She got it because:
She hauls stuff around in it like cages for pet adoptions, recycle stuff, dogs and whatever else that are too big to haul around in a car.
It has 4WD, which we need in the winter if we want to get up the roads and hills to out house.
It's big enough to hitch the utility trailer to when we get lumber, furniture or anything large. Will also pull a small boat if we get another one.
It gets better than 25 mpg.

I got it because:
I have made a lot of money working for Ford over the years and have a brand loyalty to companies that keep the cash rolling in.
Ford was smart enough early enough not to need Obama money to stay in business. (How is that GM IPO 33 now sub 20 stock doing for y'all?)
It generally pisses off liberals, greenies and tree huggers.

Ford Escape here too. It's a 2008 w/V6, gets 23-25 highway and never had it in for anything but oil changes.

I'd like to move up to the Expedition next purchase, but can't really justify it other than to PO the greenies.

Hubie
07-02-2012, 05:39 PM
Q. Why do people drive SUVs?
A. Because they can.

Shorts, sweet and to the point.

And so it your post. :evil-grin:

Madisonian
07-02-2012, 06:37 PM
Ford Escape here too. It's a 2008 w/V6, gets 23-25 highway and never had it in for anything but oil changes.

I'd like to move up to the Expedition next purchase, but can't really justify it other than to PO the greenies.

When I really want to piss the Prius crowd, I take the 2005 Lincoln Aviator out for a spin.
About 16 mpg (if I am going down hill with a tail wind). Seats 6 when the family comes up and enough torque out of the 4.6 to pull up to 10,000 lbs.

JB
07-02-2012, 07:48 PM
Why does Al Gore live in a 10,000 square foot house and own another 6,800 square foot home? Neither of them are investment properties. Why does he need two homes?

Has he figured out how to breach one of our laws of physics and he has the ability to be in two places at the same time? If not, I don't know why he would need two houses.

Retread
07-02-2012, 08:41 PM
And I still need to replace a 2000 Olds Silhouette - Seat 5, carry a power chair and it's lift, get 20 plus mpg and not look like Mt Everest going down the road.

Hubie
07-02-2012, 08:45 PM
Has he figured out how to breach one of our laws of physics and he has the ability to be in two places at the same time?

No, he's just that fat.

Adam Wood
07-02-2012, 10:55 PM
As the snow flies...

Buy a Yugo

In a Yugo

And choose a better way

In a Yugo

In a Yugo

Buy a Yugo
:rotfl: A good one.It's better when you can actually hear it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqTKZgEW8pM

One of my favorites from Shanklin.

Adam Wood
07-02-2012, 11:13 PM
=DUmmie fake Italian pasta]Yet they remain the most popular vehicle in the country. Can anyone explain this to me?Yeah, I can explain it to you, DUmmie: SUVs blossomed in popularity in direct response to liberal interference in the automotive market.

See, back in the olden days known as "the '80s," there weren't all that many people who drove SUVs in this country. Sure, there were some out there, but for most actual families (that's those things with mommies and daddies who have children together; you derisively call them "breeders" because you think that there should be fewer human beings on this planet, and yet you haven't offed yourself yet ... imagine that: a Leftist kook who's a flaming hypocrite), they didn't drive SUVs. They drove these things called "station wagons." Station wagons were very useful vehicles that managed to both haul seven children to school and haul enough lumber home from 84 Lumber on a Saturday morning to ensure that those kids were kept busy helping Dad (that would be a male who actually exhibits masculine tendencies and does stuff like build things for his family to enjoy) building a treehouse. See, for those of us who actually live in reality (which means outside of Manhattan or somewhere inside Chicago's loop or somewhere within stumbling or brick-throwing distance of Will Pitt's favorite liquoring hole in Boston), we need cars that can actually serve more than one purpose on occasion.

Unfortunately, though, a bunch of Leftist kooks managed to just declare one day in 1975 that we would be out of oil in four years, just before the coming next ice age due to industrialization, and therefore we had to put in a business-tampering law called "CAFE," which was a fancy Leftist acronym for "corporate average fuel economy." Well, the people who made cars back then did what they could to try to comply with this silly-assed law, but in the end, there was only one real answer. See, as is typical of most Leftist laws attempting to mandate people's behavior, CAFE had a great, big, glaring set of unintended consequences. The car makers eventually saw a loophole they could drive a Suburban through and took that as the "out" to ensure that they were complying with the law: they stopped selling "gas-guzzling" station wagons to suburban housewives (those are called "mommies" here in the real world), and instead started selling SUVs to those suburban housewives, because SUVs were considered trucks under the CAFE law instead of cars. And thus, the car makers upped their average fuel economy by no longer selling station wagons and instead moving pretty much that entire market share instead into SUVs. So, now we have a bunch of suburban mothers driving their kids around in SUVs

And once again, children, we see that liberal policies are absolute dogshit in everything that they ever touch. No liberal policy ever in the history of mankind has ever worked. This is just another in a long string of examples.

Here endeth the lesson.

JB
07-03-2012, 05:36 PM
Yeah, I can explain it to you, DUmmie: SUVs blossomed in popularity in direct response to liberal interference in the automotive market.

See, back in the olden days known as "the '80s," there weren't all that many people who drove SUVs in this country. Sure, there were some out there, but for most actual families (that's those things with mommies and daddies who have children together; you derisively call them "breeders" because you think that there should be fewer human beings on this planet, and yet you haven't offed yourself yet ... imagine that: a Leftist kook who's a flaming hypocrite), they didn't drive SUVs. They drove these things called "station wagons." Station wagons were very useful vehicles that managed to both haul seven children to school and haul enough lumber home from 84 Lumber on a Saturday morning to ensure that those kids were kept busy helping Dad (that would be a male who actually exhibits masculine tendencies and does stuff like build things for his family to enjoy) building a treehouse. See, for those of us who actually live in reality (which means outside of Manhattan or somewhere inside Chicago's loop or somewhere within stumbling or brick-throwing distance of Will Pitt's favorite liquoring hole in Boston), we need cars that can actually serve more than one purpose on occasion.

Unfortunately, though, a bunch of Leftist kooks managed to just declare one day in 1975 that we would be out of oil in four years, just before the coming next ice age due to industrialization, and therefore we had to put in a business-tampering law called "CAFE," which was a fancy Leftist acronym for "corporate average fuel economy." Well, the people who made cars back then did what they could to try to comply with this silly-assed law, but in the end, there was only one real answer. See, as is typical of most Leftist laws attempting to mandate people's behavior, CAFE had a great, big, glaring set of unintended consequences. The car makers eventually saw a loophole they could drive a Suburban through and took that as the "out" to ensure that they were complying with the law: they stopped selling "gas-guzzling" station wagons to suburban housewives (those are called "mommies" here in the real world), and instead started selling SUVs to those suburban housewives, because SUVs were considered trucks under the CAFE law instead of cars. And thus, the car makers upped their average fuel economy by no longer selling station wagons and instead moving pretty much that entire market share instead into SUVs. So, now we have a bunch of suburban mothers driving their kids around in SUVs

And once again, children, we see that liberal policies are absolute dogshit in everything that they ever touch. No liberal policy ever in the history of mankind has ever worked. This is just another in a long string of examples.

Here endeth the lesson.LMAO Kick.